Ireland vacation package

Considering putting a trip to Ireland together sometime this year -- you know, bring a little economic stimulus to our Irish friends! Thinking we'll have either 2 or 3 golfers + non-golfing spouses, really in the very early stages of considering whether this is the right year to do it.

Who's done it? Did you book a package? Is that the best way to do this?

Any info would be most helpful. Recommended web sites, package operators, etc.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend you get 4 golfers if at all possible. We use Ron Smartt who owns Travelling the Fairways. [url="https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/TravellingTheFairways"]https://www.facebook...lingTheFairways[/url] Another choice would be Wullie Duff.... [url="https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/wullied"]https://www.facebook...=home#!/wullied[/url]

Tell them that Jack Hamilton sent you.

Just returned last week from a 3 week golfing trip in Ireland. I booked it through Hidden Links who did a tremendous job. Everything went exactly as planned. If you wish I can give you some helpful hints and insights on the courses my son and I played. Royal County Down,Portmarnock,The European Club,Royal Portrush,Portstewart,Ballyliffin,Doonbeg,Lahinch,Ballybunion,Tralee and Waterville.

I highly recommend Swing Golf Ireland. I booked a trip through them last year. I checked lots and lots of these tour operators and all of them wanted a hefty sum to book a few tee times and hotel rooms. Except for Swing, which is essentially a marketing arm of several of the golf clubs in SW Ireland. Their fee was very nominal.

Ask for a quote from one of people recommended by Shemp or from Hidden Links for comparison.

[url="http://swinggolfireland.com/"]http://swinggolfireland.com/[/url]

[quote name='vpd' timestamp='1340041440' post='5122024']
Just returned last week from a 3 week golfing trip in Ireland. I booked it through Hidden Links who did a tremendous job. Everything went exactly as planned. If you wish I can give you some helpful hints and insights on the courses my son and I played. Royal County Down,Portmarnock,The European Club,Royal Portrush,Portstewart,Ballyliffin,Doonbeg,Lahinch,Ballybunion,Tralee and Waterville.
[/quote]
I second Hidden Links. I went to Scotland in 2006 and they did a fantastic job. I plan on going to Ireland in the future and will most likely use them again.

[/quote]
some fine courses you played there.

Nothing against tours...but unless you absolutely need everything taken care of for you, you really don't need a tour company.

Ireland is a good country to book your own trip an map your own routes. Booking for a foursome(or 3some) is not that hard.

I have done it on my own double digit times.

[/quote]

Going to Ireland/N. Ireland in August and booked through Hidden Links. They have been great to work with. Playing Royal County Down, Portmarnock, Portstewart, & Royal Portrush. Can you provide helpful tips and insights? Dress codes, showing proof of handicap, clubhouse access, best pubs, etc. Any tips and insights would be great!

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1340061139' post='5124046']
Nothing against tours...but unless you absolutely need everything taken care of for you, you really don't need a tour company.

Ireland is a good country to book your own trip an map your own routes. Booking for a foursome(or 3some) is not that hard.

I have done it on my own double digit times.
[/quote]

I agree -- see my original post where I'm looking for any and all advice. Logistics are [i][b]slightly[/b][/i] (but not much, really) more complicated as we're considering doing this as two couples with non-golfing spouses.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I agree, you do not need a middle company, decide on the courses you want to play and should be pretty easy to organise your own trip. all the clubs you mention you will easily get on to play, check out there websites and give them a call with your dates and they. will accommodate you easily enough.

In my opinion the fun is in the making.......... sounds a great trip.

[quote name='UW Alumni 94' timestamp='1340071810' post='5125374']
[/quote]

Going to Ireland/N. Ireland in August and booked through Hidden Links. They have been great to work with. Playing Royal County Down, Portmarnock, Portstewart, & Royal Portrush. Can you provide helpful tips and insights? Dress codes, showing proof of handicap, clubhouse access, best pubs, etc. Any tips and insights would be great!
[/quote] Collared shirts are a requirement at these clubs. I would recommend wearing long pants although I believe knee length shorts are permitted but I didn't see anyone wearing them. No one asked for proof of handicap but I took mine with me because I heard some courses occasionally spot check. You will have full clubhouse access at all of the courses you are playing including the men's locker room to store street shoes etc. In Portrush the Harbor Bar and Restaurant is excellent--you should definitely check it out. Bushmills Inn where we stayed has a real cool bar and restaurant although the bar wasn't very busy when I was there. Visit the town of Mahlahide when you are near Portmarnock. Great pubs there. If you can schedule lunches at the clubs you should do it to experience the ambiance--real neat. My number one piece of advice is to take a caddy when you play these courses. A lot of blind shots that require local knowledge. Your round will be far more enjoyable if you take a caddy. Caddies cost between 35-40 pounds or euros plus a 10 pound/euro tip is appropriate if you have an experienced caddie. While in Portrush be sure if you have time, to visit the Giant's Causeway,Bushmill's Distillery and Dunluce Castle.

[quote name='vpd' timestamp='1340127858' post='5129198']
[quote name='UW Alumni 94' timestamp='1340071810' post='5125374']
[/quote]

[/quote] Collared shirts are a requirement at these clubs. I would recommend wearing long pants although I believe knee length shorts are permitted but I didn't see anyone wearing them. No one asked for proof of handicap but I took mine with me because I heard some courses occasionally spot check. You will have full clubhouse access at all of the courses you are playing including the men's locker room to store street shoes etc. In Portrush the Harbor Bar and Restaurant is excellent--you should definitely check it out. Bushmills Inn where we stayed has a real cool bar and restaurant although the bar wasn't very busy when I was there. Visit the town of Mahlahide when you are near Portmarnock. Great pubs there. If you can schedule lunches at the clubs you should do it to experience the ambiance--real neat. My number one piece of advice is to take a caddy when you play these courses. A lot of blind shots that require local knowledge. Your round will be far more enjoyable if you take a caddy. Caddies cost between 35-40 pounds or euros plus a 10 pound/euro tip is appropriate if you have an experienced caddie. While in Portrush be sure if you have time, to visit the Giant's Causeway,Bushmill's Distillery and Dunluce Castle.
[/quote] One other thing. Be sure to take a quality rainsuit(jackets and pants) and bring an extra pair of golf shoes and a small portable hairdryer. We had almost no rain during our entire trip but when we did we had to use our second pair of golf shoes and the hairdryer was indispensible for drying out golf shoes and gloves and our Under Armour/Sunice shirts. Layering underneath your golf shirt is essential on inclement days. If you are not prepared with the proper gear and you hit rain and wind you will be miserable!

Done it multiple times to Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England, also done it with an agent as well as on our own, in fact going over to Shannon on Thursday. For a foursome it's very easy to do on your own, and enjoyable if you're in to planning and researching, especially just for four players. If you'd rather just flip a switch and have it done for you the planners are very knowledgeable, and I've not found the overall cost much higher.

I think first you need to find out whether it will be 2 golfers and 2 spouses or 3 golfers and 3 spouses !!!

Six people will not fit into one vehicle unless it is a fairly large Minibus/Van which is usually extremely $$$$$$$ at a rental car agency. With six people and luggage/clubs you might want to consider hiring a private driver/tour operator dedicated to transporting golf groups - although a group of four people might fit into a rental station wagon if luggage is kept reasonable.

As well you should take into account what the non golfing spouses will do while you are occupied at the course - you should think about setting up an extended stay in towns with decent sightseeing options and then driving to the courses you want to play.

examples :

Dublin - numerous courses(too many to mention) within easy driving distance and good sightseeing/public transit for the spouses.

Belfast - great golf within somewhat reasonable drive times ex. Portrush, Portstewart, Castlerock, and Royal County Down or base yourself in the towns of Portrush or Portstewart and play the first 3 courses above as the sightseeing options in the area are quite good with lots of stunning scenery!!!

Galway - little farther drives but great links golf nonetheless Lahinch, Connemara, Ballybunion and at a stretch Carne/Enniscrone.

Killarney - modest drive times and lovely town for the spouses with golf options such as Tralee, Waterville, Dooks, and Dingle

• 11 months later...

[quote name='MoaningM' timestamp='1340115226' post='5127710']
I agree, you do not need a middle company, decide on the courses you want to play and should be pretty easy to organise your own trip. all the clubs you mention you will easily get on to play, check out there websites and give them a call with your dates and they. will accommodate you easily enough.

In my opinion the fun is in the making.......... sounds a great trip.
[/quote]

I 2nd the thoughts above regarding the planning of the trip. My wife and I have been coming to the UK for the past 5 years or so. I put everything together myself and must say that the planning part to me is quite fun as well. Let me know if I can help...

www.fairwaysndreamsgolf.com (check out the blogs and pics from my trips)

• 2 months later...

I hate handling the planning. I love turning control over to a professional who books our van and driver, all of our hotels, all of our tee times, all of our caddies and is local to the trip in case of emergencies. I'm on vacation to enjoy myself, not deal with logistics. We get met at the airport, our bags loaded for us, driven the fastest routes to the courses, taken sight seeing to the best spots, eat at the local restaurants, not the tourist traps, and spend a week doing nothing but enjoying ourselves.... Next July.... Trallee, Waterville, Old Head, Ballybunion, Dooks, Doonbeg and Lahinch. Can't wait.