2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

(Not) ready golf

[quote name='2bGood' timestamp='1342041305' post='5258276']
Lame story and I don't think you know what ready golf really means.

"Every hole, they waited for one another to hit the ball. This is fine and all when both balls are in the same vicinity. It’s a common rule. [i][b]If you’re further away, you hit first. However, when players are on two different sides of the fairway, both players should be hitting their balls."[/b][/i]

There is no reason why two people should be hitting their shots at the same time. Ready golf means you play in order that is determined by "who is ready" rather than who is furthest away or who has the "honour" on the tee not that you all hit at the same time. And even if both balls are in the same vicinity, if for some reason a player is slower getting to their ball you can go ahead and hit before them even if you are further then them provided you are far enough ahead of them to warrant it.

The fact that the group in front of you was in position makes your story even lamer. As for the "muligan" off the first tee, you may think it looked okay and easy to find, but I would rather have a guy hit a provisional than walk up, not find his ball and then have to come back to the tee box.
[/quote]

This is what stood out to me as well. I have never seen two players simultaneously hitting ever.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Huntster' timestamp='1342125804' post='5264178']
This is what stood out to me as well. I have never seen two players simultaneously hitting ever.
[/quote]

I think you are taking it a little too literally... i don't think he meant synchronized swings, just not watching the other guy hit, watching his ball the whole way, then deciding what club your going to hit and finally swinging.

Plenty of times when on opposite sides of fairway, if other play is slightly behind me i have club selected, target chosen, practice swing taken and swing as soon as I hear other player make contact...

Far to often, I watch 4somes in carts drive to the first ball, select a club, take 2-3 practice swings, hit the ball, watch the flight, put the club back in the bag and then everyone drives to the next ball and the process begins again. Drives me crazy!
For Petes sake, drop the first golfer to hit at their ball with a couple of clubs, drive to the other ball and get prepared to play. Can't perfectly healthy, able bodied men walk the 20 yards or so over to the cart?
I understand some courses require carts, but we regularly walk 18 on the weekend in 3.5 to 3.75 hours, 6 hours is nuts!

[quote name='596' timestamp='1342042028' post='5258334']
Just wondering.....................

Does anyone ever admit to being a slow player? These slow play threads are total proof that golf courses never back up by any fault of anyone on this site. We all play 2 hour 18 hole rounds.

Where are all these slow players? Can someone please come forward and post here explaining that they don't care about holding up anyone at any time on a golf course? Please explain that you paid your greens fees and don't give a poop about people waiting to hit behind you.

I know they are out there, but is it because everyone "thinks" they play fast and never hold anyone up? No one has ever admitted that when they play alone they play as fast as they can in just under 6 hours.
[/quote]

Most slow golfers are people who either play for fun or rarely golf. They are the same people who don't know what a 90* rule is, that you aren't supposed to park your cart on the front fringe and stand around and laugh when someone hits back and forth over the green 4 times in a row.

I played last week when it was 110 heat index and was literally the only person on the course when I went to the first tee. I stopped twice to sit in the shade to cool down and finished in just over 2 hours with a cart. A normal round for me is around 3, anything over 4 and I'm not happy...

[quote name='youfromjoisey' timestamp='1341971648' post='5253044']
I'm very tempted to send a warning salvo out when I see people oblivious to how they are holding up the whole course. Wake TF up!!!!!!!
[/quote]

MY buddy was recently hit by some jerk that didn't think. A warning salvo can cause way more harm to the person that hits it, then they might think. I know one 6'3 guy that kissed the ground.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

My favorite complaint when I worked at a course was from two guys (any two guys) in a cart teeing off at 11 am behind a completely full golf couse that it took them 5 hours to play 18. Average play time on a weekend with a full slate of tee times is 5 hours. We had two rangers on the weekend to monitor play and keep everyone moving at an reasonable pace. Two groups on every hole = a lot of waitting. You should know that when you tee off. Get a cart even if you like to walk. It keeps you in the shade and gives you a nice place to sit and shoot the breeze with your playing partner while your waitting on your next shot.Take it for what it is and enjoy the day. A bad day at the course is better then a good day at work.

Handicap 7.7

[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1342210716' post='5270206']
My favorite complaint when I worked at a course was from two guys (any two guys) in a cart teeing off at 11 am behind a completely full golf couse that it took them 5 hours to play 18. Average play time on a weekend with a full slate of tee times is 5 hours. [b]We had two rangers on the weekend to monitor play and keep everyone moving at an reasonable pace.[/b] Two groups on every hole = a lot of waitting. You should know that when you tee off. Get a cart even if you like to walk. It keeps you in the shade and gives you a nice place to sit and shoot the breeze with your playing partner while your waitting on your next shot.Take it for what it is and enjoy the day. A bad day at the course is better then a good day at work.
[/quote]

5 hours is a reasonable pace? Someone got off the pace

My favorite complaint when I worked at a course was from two guys (any two guys) in a cart teeing off at 11 am behind a completely full golf couse that it took them 5 hours to play 18. Average play time on a weekend with a full slate of tee times is 5 hours. We had two rangers on the weekend to monitor play and keep everyone moving at an reasonable pace. Two groups on every hole = a lot of waitting. You should know that when you tee off. Get a cart even if you like to walk. It keeps you in the shade and gives you a nice place to sit and shoot the breeze with your playing partner while your waitting on your next shot.Take it for what it is and enjoy the day. A bad day at the course is better then a good day at work.
[/quote]

On what planet is 5h a reasonable pace? Saturday or not, that is unacceptable.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

[quote name='Mschumacher' timestamp='1342119272' post='5263602']

Does anyone ever admit to being a slow player? These slow play threads are total proof that golf courses never back up by any fault of anyone on this site. We all play 2 hour 18 hole rounds.

Where are all these slow players? Can someone please come forward and post here explaining that they don't care about holding up anyone at any time on a golf course? Please explain that you paid your greens fees and don't give a poop about people waiting to hit behind you.

I know they are out there, but is it because everyone "thinks" they play fast and never hold anyone up? No one has ever admitted that when they play alone they play as fast as they can in just under 6 hours.
[/quote]

I think most people here are avid golfers so they know the rules/etiquette and probably better than average skill wise. So that being said, I think majority wrxers are faster or play at a good pace.

Slow golf is like bad driving (on streets). I don't think its a fixable problem.
[/quote]

[color=#800080]A pretty big cause of slow play that I see in person are guys playing from the wrong tees. High handicaps from the back tees is pointless really. It will not make anybody better. That and just denial. [/color]

[quote name='mshills' timestamp='1342217757' post='5270712']
[/quote]

On what planet is 5h a reasonable pace? Saturday or not, that is unacceptable.
[/quote]

I suggest not visiting CA, AZ or certain clubs in other parts of the country; 5 hours can be common on Fri, is common on Sat, at times Sun too. Whether acceptable or not, its reality that some of us have to cope with. I just bring 3 fine cigars and relax.

Also, I agree with [b]@goobers80 [/b]- if more mid-hi index golfers would play proper tees for their ability, that would improve pace of play, while putting more chances at GIR into play.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[/quote]

I'm not a fast player. I'll admit that. 2-hours per 9 holes is a comfortable pace for me. I hate fast players, too. Well, I hate someone who shoots 95 and is 'proud' about playing in less than 3 hours.

Look, I hit the ball a long ways and put a lot of thought and effort into my shots. I know all about slow play so I don't waste time but I'm not rushing my sub-80 round because some jerk who hits it 225 off every tee and hits 5i into every green and chips everything with his SW and quickly putting out and goes +1 or +2 on every hole rushes around wondering why golf takes awhile for other players. Congrats, you played the most uninteresting round of golf ever and you rushed through it. Fan-freaking-tastic!

I on the other hand don't rush. I won't rush either. I'll adapt to the course's play on that day (fast or slow) but I won't rush. I'll let people through instead. Most people don't care though. Most people aren't out there to play through and rush their weekend rounds which is fine. That's great. But every now and again there is a jerk who wants to get through things as fast as possible. It makes me wonder why the heck he's even out there?

Anyway, I let people play through all the time. I love NOT having some tailgater riding my butt because he has to hit as soon as humanly possible. As soon as I climb into the cart in the fairway he's at the top of his backswing back on the teebox.

That's another thing. Tailgating. People who tailgate always think the road is so crowded because they always have a bumper 6-feet in front of them. Thank God for automatic transmissions, huh?! If you don't ride the bumper of the guy in front of you, the road opens up a little bit and slower rounds don't feel so slow. At least you won't get mad. I used to drive aggressively and tailgate and then I grew up and stopped being a completely self-absorbed loser.

There are some fast players that need to learn to player slower when it's demanded of them by the course. If the course is crowded, you gotta settle down and learn to deal with the world around you bud. Don't blame the guy in front you and tailgate him.

The other day I'm driving home behind a long line of cars and clearly the next 10 miles will be like this so I slide back and put a few car-lengths between me and the next guy. What happens? The pick truck behind me assumes I'm going too slow and passes me so I'm then staring at his tail-lights for the next 5 miles...what did you accomplish buddy? Nothing.

Stop being jerks when things are crowded.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

[quote name='MelloYello' timestamp='1342701499' post='5307326']
The other day I'm driving home behind a long line of cars and clearly the next 10 miles will be like this so I slide back and put a few car-lengths between me and the next guy. What happens? The pick truck behind me assumes I'm going too slow and passes me so I'm then staring at his tail-lights for the next 5 miles..[b].what did you accomplish buddy[/b]? Nothing.

[/quote]

I got in front you and wasn't watching your tail lights anymore :superman:

That's another thing. Tailgating. People who tailgate always think the road is so crowded because they always have a bumper 6-feet in front of them. Thank God for automatic transmissions, huh?! If you don't ride the bumper of the guy in front of you, the road opens up a little bit and slower rounds don't feel so slow. At least you won't get mad. I used to drive aggressively and tailgate and then I grew up and stopped being a completely self-absorbed loser.

There are some fast players that need to learn to player slower when it's demanded of them by the course. If the course is crowded, you gotta settle down and learn to deal with the world around you bud. Don't blame the guy in front you and tailgate him.

The other day I'm driving home behind a long line of cars and clearly the next 10 miles will be like this so I slide back and put a few car-lengths between me and the next guy. What happens? The pick truck behind me assumes I'm going too slow and passes me so I'm then staring at his tail-lights for the next 5 miles...what did you accomplish buddy? Nothing.

[color=#800080]Where I drive if you do not keep less than a cars length between the car in front, people will cut right in front of you and almost rip the front part of your car off. They weave in and out and just miss each other by inches. So sometimes I may drive closer than I want and be anticipating a fast break over trying to anticipate when a guy going 85 wants to cut me off by a few inches. And if you slow down to give more space they guy behind rides really close really. I just learned to drive aggressive to almost keep myself accident free so far.[/color]

I used to think I was a slow golfer, and I started to avoid the topics on here about slow play because it was irritating me. I don't know how long it takes me to play a round of golf. I never look at the time. If I'm holding someone up I let them through and I generally don't get upset at getting held up. Until today.

I played a scramble that took four and a half hours. I always kind of assumed that was the amount of time it took me to play. I was way wrong. This was the longest round of golf I've played in my life, and finishes with a great story.

Our last hole was just a little par 4, about 315 yards. We waited the obligitory 5 minutes on the teebox while the other group played into the green. After they cleared, we teed off and one of my partners hit his drive about 30 yards short of the green, and we watched them come back from the green and pick up the ball. When confronted, the response was "You guys shouldn't have hit into us." Luckily I was the DD and not drinking which is more than can be said about the rest of my team, which did not take kindly to the situation.

[i]This post was written by clyden. He knows nothing about iMovie, so ask that Charlie guy if you need help with that. If you need help learning 6 to 7 guitar chords, or how to play golf poorly visit [url="http://www.google.com"]http://www.google.com[/url][/i] for clyden's help.