2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Who is considered the best JDM iron makers?

chocolatte

no one is going by that logic so there's no reason to continue with silly analogies. of course there are other options when it comes to top quality jdm offerings, but after what i've seen with regards to quality control and feel i can definitely say one is better...and it isn't miura (even though i was biased toward them before hand). i actually prefer my yururis over my epons but i still have to admit that the epons edge them out in overall quality. i guess the kool-aid didn't work on me...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 chiro san...
of course theres bad better best.
if not we'd all just go buy cheap asssssss american forged crapola from somewhere like walmart.
hit an epon , any one of them dont matter then hit something else.
its just better.
i have 4 miura blade sets, 4 kyoei sets, 4 epon sets and 8 sets form china plus another 10 sets of endo forged JDM OEM stuff, so i kinda think,.. i know whats ok and its EPON by a length . not even OEM endo stuff ,
i dont mean to say i dont / wont play the others,, its simple epon is the big kahooooooooooooooooooonahhhhhhhhhhhh
if u got the bugs.. get em...

owari !

[quote name='tsupo' timestamp='1345190158' post='5487440']
+1 chiro san...
if not we'd all just go buy cheap asssssss american forged crapola from somewhere like walmart.
its just better.
i have 4 miura blade sets, 4 kyoei sets, 4 epon sets and 8 sets form china plus another 10 sets of endo forged JDM OEM stuff, so i kinda think,.. i know whats ok and its EPON by a length . not even OEM endo stuff ,
i dont mean to say i dont / wont play the others,, its simple epon is the big kahooooooooooooooooooonahhhhhhhhhhhh
[/quote]

Sorry, but respectfully, no. It's your opinion, great, that doesn't mean it's fact. I've hit all kinds of irons from just about every maker as well. I have preferences, sure, that doesn't mean that one's "better" than another. Feel is totally subjective. I don't care for the mushy feel of the Epons, or the offset they always like to use. Or for the mix of satin and chrome and swoopy lines they use. Sure, they're made to spec with excellent materials. So are a lot of others. That's just part of what makes an iron great. Design, looks, ball-flight, consistency, accuracy, turf interaction are others elements to consider when buying an iron.

Just cuz an iron is spot-on spec-wise and YOU like it, doesn't mean it's best for everyone else. I've played 302's, AF Tours, Yamaha Tours and Miura 1957's each for over a year with an index from 1.8 to 2.8 and the iron that worked best for me was the Miura BY FAR. However, I would never be so pompous as to say they are flat-out the best irons. If you can find a "decent" player who plays the cheap-a** Wally irons you mentioned and loves them over anything else, well then maybe those are best for him.

+1 chiro san...
its just better.
[/quote]
How do you explain the 502s then, not the best in any way.

Titleist TSR2 9 Fujikura Ventus Blue
Srixon ZX mkll 15 Ventus Red

Taylormade Sim2 Max 19 GD
Srixon ZX 5 MKII 4-AW Nippon
Vokey SM7 54/10

Vokey SM9 59/5

Scotty tri sole Newport 2 ct

Titleist ProV1

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. I finally found a fitter that has some JDM demo clubs. As suggested I tried several offerings from Epon, Miura, RC, Ramaro, Onoff, and Fourteen. In the end I narrowed down to Epon 502, Miura cb-501 and Fourteen TC 710. These are all sweet sets. I play to a 13 right now, so naturally I am leaning toward the more forgiving Epon 502. Nonethess, I am always reluctant to play with jacked up loft irons. Nothing against it, it's just I have to pull out one hybrid for an extra gap wedge, and I just love hitting my Adams A12 pro too much. I read a lot of stellar reviews on the Miura cb 501 in this forum, so definitely a little tempted. Just worried about hitting the long irons as they are very blade like. The problem is all three sets feel so amazing! Tough decision...

[quote name='tsupo' timestamp='1344230990' post='5414148']
ive got them alll had them all . eveyr last one in every cavity ,blade, manifestation of grinding. blah blahblah

EPON is THE pinacle of club making .
it doesnt mater which model, EPON is better .

my clubbuilder also says epon is the best he works with, and he makes more clubs than u cud possibly beleive is possible.
the next step is the oems forged at ENDO funnily enough, ,then miura ,mizuno, kyoei... etcetc.

personal prefernece to shape is as much a factor as anything.
ive got shiiity srixon pro 100s made in china and they go damn well for a pop out set, bec the shape makes me hit hte centre more than most others,

nothing holds a candle to EPON, not even the ENDO forged OEMS clubs.
[/quote]

This mmaann Isis very. Wiiisse...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

I don't think there is a best - it is what is best for you.

Miura is made tight to specs, as I expect Epons are through their Tour Dept. I've owned both - if you want more high tech, Epon makes a fine product. If you like minimalist, Miura makes a great product. Like two girlfriends, which do you love a little more? Which feels right in your hands?

But get fit for whomever you choose.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1345214033' post='5488628']
+1 chiro san...
its just better.
[/quote]

Sorry, but respectfully, no. It's your opinion, great, that doesn't mean it's fact. I've hit all kinds of irons from just about every maker as well. I have preferences, sure, that doesn't mean that one's "better" than another. Feel is totally subjective. I don't care for the mushy feel of the Epons, or the offset they always like to use. Or for the mix of satin and chrome and swoopy lines they use. Sure, they're made to spec with excellent materials. So are a lot of others. That's just part of what makes an iron great. Design, looks, ball-flight, consistency, accuracy, turf interaction are others elements to consider when buying an iron.

Just cuz an iron is spot-on spec-wise and YOU like it, doesn't mean it's best for everyone else. I've played 302's, AF Tours, Yamaha Tours and Miura 1957's each for over a year with an index from 1.8 to 2.8 and the iron that worked best for me was the Miura BY FAR. However, I would never be so pompous as to say they are flat-out the best irons. If you can find a "decent" player who plays the cheap-a** Wally irons you mentioned and loves them over anything else, well then maybe those are best for him.
[/quote]

So then there's no point to having this conversation is what you're saying?
The guy asked what are the best JDM irons - most people would agree that would be Epon. Doesn't mean the others suck but Epon stands out in most people's minds as the best.

[quote name='Vegaman' timestamp='1344145982' post='5408728']
Miura isn't really JDM, they are officially offered worldwide. Miura Giken is JDM. Epon probably sells more clubs internationally than they do in Japan, and are starting to be officially offered in the US and the EU if I'm not mistaken..Other "real" JDM brands offering great irons to consider would be Tourstage, Srixon, Fourteen, Royal Collection, Callaway Japan, Titleist Japan, Romaro and a host of others.

To just say "ENDO" is a bit weird because Endo makes irons for many many brands according to the specs the individual brands provide. So Endo can be totally crap if the design from the actual brand is crap. [b]The actual forging will be top class of course, but a quality forging can't mask bad design.[/b]
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing when I opened this thread. Not to mention, some of the layered finishes will give a bit of added softness like the Maxfli REV Black Multilayer.

BTW nothing holds a candle to the Ben Hogan 1999 Apex

[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1345408476' post='5499380']
BTW nothing holds a candle to the Ben Hogan 1999 Apex
[/quote]
i think hogan was too far ahead of their time for most to appreciate and their quality and craftsmanship can only be matched by a few select jdm companies today. if you think the 1999 apex was (or still is) the pinnacle then you should look at the new epon personal blades. epon has taken distinct styling cues as well as the model's name from hogan...almost as a tribute to the best of the best from decades ago.

[quote name='Harob11' timestamp='1345407680' post='5499306']
[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1345214033' post='5488628']
+1 chiro san...
its just better.
[/quote]

[/quote]

So then there's no point to having this conversation is what you're saying?
The guy asked what are the best JDM irons - most people would agree that would be Epon. Doesn't mean the others suck but Epon stands out in most people's minds as the best.
[/quote]

No, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that there are a few top-notch iron makers and that the OP shouldn't just listen to a few fanboys who insist that so-and-so is the best, case closed. Like he shouldn't even consider anyone else because these are the facts. It's about like someone asking about cars and a few new owners of Mercedes' chime in and say "Mercedes are the best, period. BMW, Audi, etc are all ok but not in the same class as Mercedes". Different strokes. I was merely trying to let the OP know he didn't have to limit himself to Epon cuz some people on here insist they're miles above anyone else. I've had 3 sets of them and couldn't get on with any of them. And no, it's not because I'm a hack.

whats a fan boy?
is that like a rentboy with a name change?
sheeesh.., bit harsh there i think old boy.

the question was, as i understood it what the best JDM irom maker..
not whats the best for me...
as i understtod it , it meant whats the best quality, that is epon.
and unless u get ur clubs made by a better professional fitter inTOKYO than i do.....

and sees every club made. and imparts his unbiased thoughts onto you
id prob defer to his wealth of knowledge........

like i did..............

apologies if i seemed like a rentboy. but i assure you
im not.

owari !

Tsupo really would know more about this than pretty much anyone. His enthusiasm for ALL JDM equipment is pretty much unrivalled. I have Miura MB5003s, Mizuno MP-37's, Onoff Forged and Epon 302s. They're all outstanding. With that being said, I would have to say Epon is the best of the bunch based on feel and overall quality (although it is close).

anyway moving right along..
uve got a heap of otions to consider if uwant o buy a set.

and if ur looking at say miura blades....,
,, u might like to check out the 5002 from a few yrs ago.
i reckon thay are an easier to play , nicer all round head than the newer models he made.

i picked up 2 sets of these one im keeping with x100s to play on links back in oz
the others im getting reshafted with a set of NS protos. here

thats a ton of coin to spend on OLD clubs, but they suit my eye and they feel great.

these heads are damn fine... seriously good heads.

the offset in the pw might irk a few(most) US guys and the shape of it ,being kinda scoop like mighten appeal at first.
not what ur used to seeing these days.

but to hit, oh man...

they are as sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet as miura san can do..

and if u want t o have a peek at say an OEM ,, look hard at the yamaha range. from all years. they go damn well.
or the srixons,, not mde in japan,, but they play fine and they are a great shape .esp the ones form last yr.

this yrs ones , well all the OEMS kinda did exaclty the samething when u lok at tourstage, srrixon and yamaha the cavity is the same,.\
must work damn well for them al lto do it.

look hard at a cpl of older models just like the new ones.
thers some real treats to be found.

good luck.

owari !

Thanks for the sound advice tsupo. I went back for some further testing. Managed to hit some tourstage(x blade line) and more epons.

I actually eliminated the epon 502 from my search after taking a demo out on the course. I know it is good to rip a 6 iron 185 yards, but that is not really what I am looking for in an iron set. I just can't justify the price tag for the 502 if I can get essentially the same thing in a ap1.

I also took the epon af tour(with c taper) out. All I can say is wow. I never thought a blade can be this forgiving, and the feel was just heavenly. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger. However I am still considering the Miura cb 501. Although it's not much more in forgiveness but it's better than nothing.

Definitely sounds like most people here agree that in terms of quality, Epon is quite up there.

I'm gonna have to agree with MizzyMan on this one. Feel is very subjective. It gets to a point where if your spending over $1500 for some irons, you better get what works for you. It shouldn't be because some "Fanboys" on golfwrx convincing you it's the "BEST". Epon and Miura are both great and both are top notch. It comes down to getting properly fit and putting a solid swing on the clubs. I play Yonex and Gauge Design irons and it's pretty damn good in my opinion. Get something that's best for you even if it's some Cleveland VAS irons. If it works, get it!!! LOL.

Get fit, swing right and have fun!!!

Brando

Always Changing!!!

if the title said "what are the best irons for me" then that advice would apply...but it didn't. if you want to talk subjective measurements then i would easily argue cobra. however, the point you guys keep glossing over is that we're trying to discuss objective observations.

...and if you really want to keep talking about fanboys, miura is BY FAR the leader around here!

miura does have a lot of fanboys!!! I'm just saying the guy shld buy the CLUB for him. everyone things their clubs are superior than everyone elses clubs bcuz its their clubs. I believe miuras and epons are the top dogs in premium irons. kyeoi forging is very nice as well.

the man shld play what is best in his hands.

Always Changing!!!

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1345500680' post='5505682']
if the title said "what are the best irons for me" then that advice would apply...but it didn't. if you want to talk subjective measurements then i would easily argue cobra. however, the point you guys keep glossing over is that we're trying to discuss objective observations.

...and if you really want to keep talking about fanboys, miura is BY FAR the leader around here!
[/quote]
[list]
[*]Well the OP was saving up for some irons and knows about Miura and Epon being at the top and wanted some advice on maybe some others that were top notch. So of course it's subjective. We're not giving an award for the "best", based on some technical criteria score such as loft/lie tolerances, etc. Golf clubs, cars, jewelry, and such are all purchased with some subjective and some objective considerations. And there ARE Miura fanboys here, just as there are TM, Titleist, Mizuno, etc. But none of them seem as insistent on their stuff being "the best, end of story" as the Epon guys. And as I've said before, I've had some Epons and let's just say I was underwhelmed by the technical part of some of them. And I won't get into the inconsistent distances I was getting. (guess I just did :swoon: )
[/list]

[quote name='Ghost_Orchid' timestamp='1345508022' post='5506344']
What about Fourteen? I like the TC-930s, beautiful looking clubs. If I can get to demo them, and like them...they're in the bag. Gonna be a Christmas gift. I wish I could get them in KBS Tours though.
[/quote]

Fourteen is top quality. Those are great-looking irons BTW. Maybe a bit sharp on the leading edge and trailing edge for me. But I haven't hit them, just an observation from the photo. YMMV

[quote name='ahbot' timestamp='1345504439' post='5506032']
miura does have a lot of fanboys!!! I'm just saying the guy shld buy the CLUB for him. everyone things their clubs are superior than everyone elses clubs bcuz its their clubs. I believe miuras and epons are the top dogs in premium irons. kyeoi forging is very nice as well.

the man shld play what is best in his hands.
[/quote]
and btw...i totally agree that this is the best advice and in no way would argue that point!

[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1345508422' post='5506402']
[quote name='Ghost_Orchid' timestamp='1345508022' post='5506344']
What about Fourteen? I like the TC-930s, beautiful looking clubs. If I can get to demo them, and like them...they're in the bag. Gonna be a Christmas gift. I wish I could get them in KBS Tours though.
[/quote]

Fourteen is top quality. Those are great-looking irons BTW. Maybe a bit sharp on the leading edge and trailing edge for me. But I haven't hit them, just an observation from the photo. YMMV
[/quote]

I've got to say the Fourteens are a beautiful looking sets just wish I could hit one.

• 1 month later...

japanese-golf-club-brand-logo.png

http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com/japan/index.html#.UGzrqE3AdvI

These are the top JDM companies that we carry. A few companies are left out but those above are great choices.

-Ryan

[b]Fairway Golf Online Store[/b] :golfer:
Website: [url="http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com"]http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com[/url]
Email: [email="[email protected]?subject=GolfWRX%20Inquiry"][email protected][/email]
Instagram:[url="https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/"]https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/[/url]
Phone: 1-619-702-1702

I like my Miura retro blades, but I can't say they are far superior to my Titleist 710MBs. As a matter of fact, the forging out there is just SO good (yes, even China forged OEMs) now that you would be better to just look for a head shape that suits your eye, and sole grind that fits your swing type and go with whatever set gets you closest. Just as important is to shaft them correctly. The shafts will have a big impact on the perception of feel, sound, trajectory, and distance.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]