2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

golf trip to The Prairie Club

Marrrk

Pretty much a dream come true for me.

Me and a buddy are heading there first week of October. Flying to Denver then driving to Prairie Club for 2 nights/3 days unlimited golf there. Playing Wild Horse & Ballyneal on the way back (and maybe Dismal River too—fingers crossed). Also playing a couple times in Denver.

It's a trip I've been dreaming about but never thought would actually go through, given the remoteness and time needed. The style of course that Prairie Club is is like heaven to me.

Any tips from anyone with experience?

Any driving routes I should avoid?

What should I expect from the weather that time of year?

Anything I'm missing?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Prairie Club is well worth the trip. There is really only one way to get to the club as it is so remote. it is a truly awe-inspiring place. Dismal is fun but the Dunes at the prairie club is better, Wild Horse isn't really on the way, and will require an extra day, but worth the trip. If you don't go all the way to Wild Horse, Bay Side just outside Ogallala is worth a stop, not real long but a fair test of golf for a great bargain.

The weather should be fine, I live about 100 miles from the Prairie Club and it has been very dry and atypically warm all year. I am actually playing in a pro-am at the prairie club the 8-10th, if my regular am is up for it. Enjoy it it will be well worth the time and the trip!!!

Yes, the Prairie Club is amazing! The most fun golf course I've ever played. So many different shots to be played. The dunes is my favorite, but take time to play the par 3 course. Oh and when u get in your room for the night, I dare u to find a more comfortable bed. Like a cloud(no I've never slept on a cloud but I imagine this is what it would b like). The staff is very nice and ask around and see if someone will take u up in the crows nest. Watch out for rattlesnakes also. Have fun!

Thanks, guys. The "fun" aspect is exactly why I chose it.

I've had a strange hankering to go to that part of the midwest for quite a while, but when I saw all 3 of TPC's courses on the Golf Digest Most Fun Courses list, and then saw how gorgeous they looked, I was totally hooked (and was lucky enough to have one friend willing to make the trek with me).

Has anyone stayed in the cabins? Is it worth it for 2 people to do? The regular lodge rooms look a little underwhelming (despite the comfy beds) so we're very tempted to go for something a bit more exciting.

Anyone have thoughts about Ballyneal? We're playing 36 there.

A friend of mine who works at the NBC TV station here in Minneapolis blogged about The Prairie Club. You can read it below:

[url="http://www.kare11.com/news/blogs/article/925257/458/Where-am-I--Traveling-golfer-lost-in-Northern-Nebraska"]http://www.kare11.co...rthern-Nebraska[/url]

He sums it up with this: "If you're looking for lush green fairways, elaborate flower beds, and water fountains in ponds, don't make the drive out. But if you're looking for "pure golf" and a battle with mother nature and all that she naturally produced... by all means... put this place on your bucket list."

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

[quote name='Marrrk' timestamp='1346790004' post='5586225']
Awesome stuff. that's exactly why i'm going!

just need to decide on the lodging. regular rooms in the lodge versus the cabins. has anyone stayed there and can tell me if the upgrade to the cabins is worth it?

thanks.
[/quote]

We stayed in the the one single story cabin (which a member told me is the least nice of the cabins) and it was extremely nice. A central living area with a fridge, sink, coffee maker, table, and chairs (but oddly no TV). A private bedroom with a private bath on each corner. I don't know what the lodge rooms are like, but the bedrooms in the cabin were as nice as any hotel I've stayed in. The member told me the two story cabins do have a TV in the central area, and if you are on the second story the view of the Snake River Canyon from the back deck will be really nice.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1346790932' post='5586317']

just need to decide on the lodging. regular rooms in the lodge versus the cabins. has anyone stayed there and can tell me if the upgrade to the cabins is worth it?

thanks.
[/quote]

We stayed in the the one single story cabin (which a member told me is the least nice of the cabins) and it was extremely nice. A central living area with a fridge, sink, coffee maker, table, and chairs (but oddly no TV). A private bedroom with a private bath on each corner. I don't know what the lodge rooms are like, but the bedrooms in the cabin were as nice as any hotel I've stayed in. The member told me the two story cabins do have a TV in the central area, and if you are on the second story the view of the Snake River Canyon from the back deck will be really nice.
[/quote]

oh great. thanks for the info. the whole place seems first class but the regular lodge rooms just seem a bit boring and restrictive. if i'm going all the way out there, might as well do it in style at the Cabins. love the idea of the public space and the decks and the wet bar area. all it's missing is a fire place! and i'll definitely request the second floor, like you said.

[quote name='Marrrk' timestamp='1346791876' post='5586433']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1346790932' post='5586317']

thanks.
[/quote]

[/quote]

oh great. thanks for the info. the whole place seems first class but the regular lodge rooms just seem a bit boring and restrictive. if i'm going all the way out there, might as well do it in style at the Cabins. love the idea of the public space and the decks and the wet bar area. all it's missing is a fire place! and i'll definitely request the second floor, like you said.
[/quote]

Forget to tell you. If you stay in the cabins, when you go to dinner make sure and take the latern that they furnish in the cabin. It is extremely dark out there and the cabins are below the level of the lodge, you have to walk down a hill and it can be a little treacherous without the light.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1346792712' post='5586529']
[quote name='Marrrk' timestamp='1346791876' post='5586433']
[/quote]

Forget to tell you. If you stay in the cabins, when you go to dinner make sure and take the latern that they furnish in the cabin. It is extremely dark out there and the cabins are below the level of the lodge, you have to walk down a hill and it can be a little treacherous without the light.
[/quote]

oh man, a lantern! you just sold me even more on them. awesome stuff.

I'm only about a 2 hour drive from there and I'm really mad I didn't cash in on last year's end of season special, it was something like two days of unlimited golf for $100 or something crazy like that, totally missed the boat. Drove out to Gothenburg specifically to play wild horse a couple years ago and it rained! So I have no real knowledge, but I'm sure it will be fun for you. Have a great time!

Cobra Amp Cell Driver
Cobra Amp Cell 3wood
Adams Super LS 3 hybrid
Mizuno jpx-825 pro irons 4-PW
Cleveland RTX wedges 52, 56, 60
Odyssey White Hot Rossie

• 4 weeks later...

I'm leaving tomorrow morning! Flying into Denver. Here's the schedule:

Saturday: CommonGround GC
Sunday: Ballyneal
Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday: The Prairie Club
Friday: Wild Horse
Saturday: Arrowhead

Every single course we're playing is on the Golf Digest "50 Most Fun Public Courses" list, which was the initial motivation of the trip (Ballyneal is on the private club version):

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2012-09/most-fun-golf-courses-intro
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2012-09/most-fun-private-golf-courses

The weather looks like it's going to be ideal all week. High 70's/low 80's with very low humidity. Thanks again to everyone above for your advice.

Hey-
I live in Colorado and am a member at Prairie Club. The best route there is 80 to Ogallala, north across the damn, go thru Arthur to Hyannis, take a right on Highway 2 (check out Pelican Lakes nine holer on your right) to Mullen, then a left on 97. About 50 miles and look for P.C. on left.

Make sure Dallas makes your drinks!!

Enjoy!

[quote name='pb3jack' timestamp='1349143467' post='5734999']
Hey-
I live in Colorado and am a member at Prairie Club. The best route there is 80 to Ogallala, north across the damn, go thru Arthur to Hyannis, take a right on Highway 2 (check out Pelican Lakes nine holer on your right) to Mullen, then a left on 97. About 50 miles and look for P.C. on left.

Enjoy!
[/quote]

What's the status on the fourth course? Enough members yet? Waiting for Hanse to get done with Olympic course?

• 6 months later...

[quote name='pb3jack' timestamp='1349143467' post='5734999']
Hey-

Enjoy!
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip...will be heading there end of June/