Editor Review: Mizuno MP-64 Irons

J13

I got my 64's yesterday. Love how my custom order went in last Friday and I got them on thursday. That was a huge surprise. All specs came in great. I did got with an H4 4-iron and 5-pw in the 64s. I do hit my 4-iron well but the h4 just felt great too so I got it. These things are so sexy. My demo went well when I hit them. Only thing that sucks is that it's -2 degrees right now and probably won't be able to even get on the range until it warms up some but it's still fun just looking at them and swinging them inside. I went into this off season thinking I was going to get the Titleist MBs/Cbs but after hitting about 6 balls in my demo/fitting, I knew I had found my clubs. I like the snow but I cant wait for warm weather this year. I

Titleist 910D3*
TMAG R11s 14* 3W
Titleist 910F 19*
Mizuno MP64 4-PW
Nike Method Matter B2-01

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff stylez your going to really enjoy them. Oh SO SWEET and insanely soft. Mizuno just flat out gets it done when it comes to the feel of their irons.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1359172407' post='6300641']
Good stuff stylez your going to really enjoy them. Oh SO SWEET and insanely soft. Mizuno just flat out gets it done when it comes to the feel of their irons.
[/quote]You weren't kidding. Temps got in the 60s last two days and I put in some serious time before the temps went back into the 30s. I was actually surprised how well they performed for me. Thought I would have to adjust some but then again I am sure that will happen once I get on the course. Buttery soft would be an understatement. Enjoyed being able to work the ball a lot easier and knowing instantly if I was off on my strike. Just perfect. Now it's time to name them =]

Titleist 910D3*
TMAG R11s 14* 3W
Titleist 910F 19*
Mizuno MP64 4-PW
Nike Method Matter B2-01

haha great to hear. Can't wait for the spring either I want to PLAY!!!

Edel PROTO

[quote name='cgd012' timestamp='1360002352' post='6361307']
J13,

What made you switch from the MP-64 to the new X-Forged?
[/quote]

A few things but first understand it's not uncommon for me to rotate sets and that's most likely what I'll do with the 64's and Xforged depending on the conditions and my mood ;-)

1. Better turf interaction with more bounce on the irons, no digging. One of the few downsides to the 64's in soft conditions is they dug in.
2. Smaller profile like blades just with the forgiveness of cb's. Been a blade player for a long time love the size of xforged. That's not a benefit to some people and they prefer a slightly larger sweet spot like the 64's.
3. My trip to Callaway. Meeting the team at Callaway and the passion they have is inspiring and something I support. With that said if their clubs weren't great I wouldn't play them but they are.

Overall the 64's are going to be better for some and the Xforged are going to be better for others. The 64's are the softest irons I've ever had and it's a set that will be with me for a LONG time. I love testing equipment for Golfwrx as it exposes and challenges me to try new products/ clubs that I may not have before. It also forces me to think objectively about what I'm testing and give in depth feedback. Honestly if I tried something that I didn't like I would say it. It just so happens the items I got chosen for have been great and went straight in the bag. I still use the Pro Mental Coach as much as a i can and I LOVE IT. Games are fun and it keeps my mind sharp.

I hope everyone can keep in mind that we are merely testing these products to give a honest and solid review for members on this board. And there is no rule that states if you test it you must play it in your bag. Golfwrx does try to match you skill level to certain products so you can represent that demographic so it works out well but we don't sign exclusivity contracts. Merely the average joe giving it to ya straight instead of OEM marketing hype. If I was chosen for G25's for example I would give them my feedback but they would not make my bag. That doesn't mean they aren't good it just means they don't fit what i'm looking for but here's my opinion on who they would be GREAT for. Nothing more nothing less.

Sorry for the rant but I've been getting some crazy comments that I broke some code by adding another set of irons to my rotation. No OEM pays me to play and until they do I will have multiple bags for my playing pleasure. :-)

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1360005458' post='6361641'] [quote name='cgd012' timestamp='1360002352' post='6361307'] J13, What made you switch from the MP-64 to the new X-Forged? [/quote] A few things but first understand it's not uncommon for me to rotate sets and that's most likely what I'll do with the 64's and Xforged depending on the conditions and my mood ;-) 1. Better turf interaction with more bounce on the irons, no digging. One of the few downsides to the 64's in soft conditions is they dug in. 2. Smaller profile like blades just with the forgiveness of cb's. Been a blade player for a long time love the size of xforged. That's not a benefit to some people and they prefer a slightly larger sweet spot like the 64's. 3. My trip to Callaway. Meeting the team at Callaway and the passion they have is inspiring and something I support. With that said if their clubs weren't great I wouldn't play them but they are. Overall the 64's are going to be better for some and the Xforged are going to be better for others. The 64's are the softest irons I've ever had and it's a set that will be with me for a LONG time. I love testing equipment for Golfwrx as it exposes and challenges me to try new products/ clubs that I may not have before. It also forces me to think objectively about what I'm testing and give in depth feedback. Honestly if I tried something that I didn't like I would say it. It just so happens the items I got chosen for have been great and went straight in the bag. I still use the Pro Mental Coach as much as a i can and I LOVE IT. Games are fun and it keeps my mind sharp. I hope everyone can keep in mind that we are merely testing these products to give a honest and solid review for members on this board. And there is no rule that states if you test it you must play it in your bag. Golfwrx does try to match you skill level to certain products so you can represent that demographic so it works out well but we don't sign exclusivity contracts. Merely the average joe giving it to ya straight instead of OEM marketing hype. If I was chosen for G25's for example I would give them my feedback but they would not make my bag. That doesn't mean they aren't good it just means they don't fit what i'm looking for but here's my opinion on who they would be GREAT for. Nothing more nothing less. Sorry for the rant but I've been getting some crazy comments that I broke some code by adding another set of irons to my rotation. No OEM pays me to play and until they do I will have multiple bags for my playing pleasure. :-) [/quote]

No worries about the feeling like you have to keep something in the bag dude. I have tested for other forums out there and sometimes other equipment just fits your style better. It is a tough job testing tons of stuff and playing what you like. I like that you gave me some really honest answers why you choose the X-Forged over the MP-64s. None of those answers were because of the irons, but because your likes and style of playing.

I have played a 2009 X-Forged and thought about upgrading to the new ones until I hit the MP-64s. I really feel in love with those and the numbers solidified the decision to order them. I am more of a picker than a digger, so your comments about digging to much don't seem to worry me that much. I would like a hair bit more forgiveness that the MP-64s are going to offer. I think that will help me on the off days more. I think both the X-Forged and MP-64s are the best looking irons on the market. Classic designs that have a great look from address.

Thanks so much for the great response and I think the X-Forged set is a great one too. Is was my second choice right behind the MP-64s.

J13, I appreciate your response, but when you say you are not paid to play the Cally clubs, well in a way, that is not entirely accurate. A free trip to Cali and a FULL bag of brand new Cally equipment for free....doesn't really provide an atmosphere for an unbiased opinion. Nor should it, I'm just saying. If you send me out to say Mizuno and give me a full bag of their newest stuff (before anyone else has it), all custom fitted....well, I'm not exactly going to get on GolfWrx and bash them. This is exactly why Taylor Made is so smart, as they are "giving" away free trips etc. all the time. Cally was smart to see this trend and start doing it themselves. I mean look at the WRX forums, they are exploding thanks to Phil and you guys.

Again, I GREATLY appreciate your opinions and thoughts....but in a way, they should really be taken with a grain of salt.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1360007202' post='6361853']
J13, I appreciate your response, but when you say you are not paid to play the Cally clubs, well in a way, that is not entirely accurate. A free trip to Cali and a FULL bag of brand new Cally equipment for free....doesn't really provide an atmosphere for an unbiased opinion. Nor should it, I'm just saying. If you send me out to say Mizuno and give me a full bag of their newest stuff (before anyone else has it), all custom fitted....well, I'm not exactly going to get on GolfWrx and bash them. This is exactly why Taylor Made is so smart, as they are "giving" away free trips etc. all the time. Cally was smart to see this trend and start doing it themselves. I mean look at the WRX forums, they are exploding thanks to Phil and you guys.

Again, I GREATLY appreciate your opinions and thoughts....but in a way, they should really be taken with a grain of salt.
[/quote]

I appreciate your opinion but understand your making assumptions about me and I don't think that's fair as you don't know me. Depending on what a player wanted I would steer them in the direction of the mp64's or Xforged.

I feel I have spelled out where each iron shines so how is my advice to be taken with a grain of salt? My job as a tester is to highlight the strengths and weakness of everything I test in efforts to help people make educated decisions on what to buy rather then rely on OEM hype. Have I not done that?

Please understand the role of a tester. We are merely reviewing the clubs and talking about the good, the bad, and the ugly with them. We are not meant to be full time sponsors for those clubs. Just unfiltered info to you the golfwrx member. We do our best to do that. And I have recommended AFTER the callaway trip that people buy the 64's based on what they were looking for.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1360031472' post='6364523']
[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1360007202' post='6361853']

[/quote].

I appreciate your opinion but understand your making assumptions about me and I don't think that's fair as you don't know me. Depending on what a player wanted I would steer them in the direction of the mp64's or Xforged.

I feel I have spelled out where each iron shines so how is my advice to be taken with a grain of salt? My job as a tester is to highlight the strengths and weakness of everything I test in efforts to help people make educated decisions on what to buy rather then rely on OEM hype. Have I not done that?

Please understand the role of a tester. We are merely reviewing the clubs and talking about the good, the bad, and the ugly with them. We are not meant to be full time sponsors for those clubs. Just unfiltered info to you the golfwrx member. We do our best to do that. And I have recommended AFTER the callaway trip that people buy the 64's based on what they were looking for.
[/quote]

Your reviews are great, so my comment was intended only to point out that free gear adds an element of bias (perceived or real). Ultimately your opinions are important to everyone on this site, keep up the good work.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

J13 is in a very unique position of a high profile tester and was also very fortunate to be chosen for an amazing giveaway. It's a very good problem to have and I am sure many members are envious. I do understand where DNice is coming from as many members (not saying any names) came back from the recent TMAG and Callaway Giveaways completely drunk on the company that provided the trip. Honestly some of these guys are so hard for the companies that I completely ignore their posts/reviews as they are so biased everything they say needs to be taken with a grain of salt as there is zero criticism. Their opinions are influenced on what they might get next for free or hoping that they will be chosen for in another Giveaway, even if they do believe in another club they are afraid to say it because they don't want to rub anyone the wrong way. It's sad because their biased opinions and outspoken words might actually influence members to buy gear that is not ideal for them. People come here looking for uninfluenced, unbiased reviews before they spend their money and not everyone is seasoned enough to sort out all the BS and find the truth. Look at the "How WRX was created" thread, the opportunity to speak an open/honest mind is what WRX was founded on, it's what makes this the best website in the universe. These giveaways that everyone is head over heels for and would trample their mothers to win are the same thing that is creating a monster on WRX. I mean look at some of the past winners post in the Giveaway threads "we didn't get treated this good" "man I wish I got to play in a Pro Am" "If you need a hand, I'm here". It's sickening! I really hope the Marshall's see what I am seeing and are able to do something to stop the madness and maintain the happiness and great prizes. No one wants to see the Giveaways banished, but I am sure I am not the only one that wants to hear uninflunced opinions.

With all that said J13 is one of the few guys (there are others but I am not saying any names) that keep it 100%. I trust what J13 says and I believe he is censure in his opinion.

@J13- sorry for the rant bro, but I feel what I said needed to be said. I hope I didn't ruin your thread and I hope that you understand where I am coming from. Please keep doing what you do because some of us appreciate the honesty.

Thanks and yes human nature allows room for a little bias. I don't disagree with that. But I do my best to give the thumbs up only when I truly feel it.

Scratch- no worries and thanks for the kind words. I've been called a lot of things (some true lol) but never dishonest and especially unreliable. I do my best with testing and want to steer people in the right direction, with that said I'm very grateful for the opportunity.

Edel PROTO

Thanks i whipped it together in photoshop. Bo is my all time favorite athlete, he was a machine. I haven't gotten to see the 30 for 30 film but I might buy it from Espn's website. I read his book years ago and his story is down right amazing.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1360036752' post='6365091']
Thanks and yes human nature allows room for a little bias. I don't disagree with that. But I do my best to give the thumbs up only when I truly feel it.

Scratch- no worries and thanks for the kind words. I've been called a lot of things (some true lol) but never dishonest and especially unreliable. I do my best with testing and want to steer people in the right direction, with that said I'm very grateful for the opportunity.
[/quote]

You have to like what you like. That is why it is your bag. Everybody has different taste and like different looks. I thought you did a great job on your reviews.

[quote name='cgd012' timestamp='1360067431' post='6366009']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1360036752' post='6365091']

[/quote]

You have to like what you like. That is why it is your bag. Everybody has different taste and like different looks. I thought you did a great job on your reviews.
[/quote]

Thank you.

Edel PROTO

So, back to the MP64s.....mine are set to arrive next week! OW! My Cally Xhot Pro 4 wood, Blueboard 70S is sitting at home for me as I type this! lol....

That's sweet can't go wrong with that setup! What shafts did u get in the 64's?

Edel PROTO

I ordered the C-Tapers in Stiff, 1/4" long, hard stepped one time. I also went with an H4 4 iron for S's & giggles.

I play the CTapers in S+ in my MP68s but Mizzy doesn't offer them, so I decided on the bit softer flex and the HS.

Love the C-Tapers, I put them in all of my irons now. They feel great and I love the look. I won't go back to DGX100's anytime soon. FIrst set of irons I had with them were the Bridgestone J40 CB's and fell in love.

Edel PROTO

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that's awesome!!!!! Thanks for the headsup!

Edel PROTO

Yes it does and its a good model to emulate. OEM's have to let the people in, I mean their golf clubs for petes sake not top secret war planes. Listen to what the people want and try to give it to them. I think Mizuno did that with the 64's. Brought back the softest irons in years. WELL DONE MIZUNO

Edel PROTO

Just wanted to chime in on these clubs again. Man, they really are beautiful sticks and a fantastic, more forgiving replacement to my MP68s (although I'll still never sell my 68s). One thing I actually love about them so far is the 5 iron....who would have thought. I find it quite easy to hit....so much so that I'm kind of upset that I even bothered ordering the H4 4-iron. Don't get me wrong, the H4 is nice, but the matching 4-iron may have been better for me. Anyhow, these clubs are fantastic on off center hits and the feel is truly like a "hot knife through warm butter" (J13). Range balls feel almost like premium balls. These are firmly in my bag for 2013. I just need to get my lofts and lies double checked because I think I went a touch too upright for what I prefer....i.e. only off by about 0.5 to 1°.....also want the peace of mind.

Nice job Mizuno!

PS: I also play the R12 wedges and they are fantastic!

Dnice glad your liking them. Based on hitting my irons I had two people at my course order them as they couldn't get over the feel. I have the 3 and 4 iron mp64's and the 4 iron is sweet but the 3 can be a challenge.

Edel PROTO

Sorry don't have them anymore.

Edel PROTO

no problem, quick question though, how much longer heel-toe is the j40 cb than the mp64's and is it really noticeable? That's my biggest worry about the j40's is they look too much longer than what I'm used to, currently play ping s57's.

Thanks

Dan

Aeroburner TP 60M4 Black Tie x
906f4 15.5 VS Proto 80x
MP-H4 2 iron S400
MP-64 3-PW S400
Vokey sm5 52F, 58S
Black Series Tour Design #6

it's not much but if you hold the irons next to each other you will see it. That was the ONLY downside to the J40's.

Edel PROTO