The OFFICIAL PING Anser Driver Fitting & Review Thread

HipCheck

Maybe I will have to look at it again next spring, could be the shaft was wrong for me. It felt like the driver was dead to me, and my 910 was much longer.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a Driver ho for the last year or so, mainly switching between lofts of the R11 (retail and DOT) and 910 D3 but with a huge array of shafts (Kiyoshi Purple, Nunchuk, V2 Tour Flight, Whiteboard 73, Tour AD DI 7x, Motore Speeder Tour Spec, Diamana X Limited).

I was never able to get comfortable, or get the results I wanted, with the R11 and the 910 D3 fit my eye and was obviously more similar to the 905R I played for years. So most of the tweaking has been with that. The most success coming with a D3 8.5, set at D1 with the X Limited.

I've always been a high launch, high spin player and as we all know the 910 isn't exactly a spin killer. After reading tons of reviews on the Anser, I've picked up an 8.5 with the stock 'ahina 70x to give it a go. I'm playing this weekend and will report back on it's performance vs. some of the other combos I have used. Love the look, so I'm really hoping this thing performs.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

[quote name='RonSwanson' timestamp='1351715581' post='5874013']
I've been a Driver ho for the last year or so, mainly switching between lofts of the R11 (retail and DOT) and 910 D3 but with a huge array of shafts (Kiyoshi Purple, Nunchuk, V2 Tour Flight, Whiteboard 73, Tour AD DI 7x, Motore Speeder Tour Spec, Diamana X Limited).

I was never able to get comfortable, or get the results I wanted, with the R11 and the 910 D3 fit my eye and was obviously more similar to the 905R I played for years. So most of the tweaking has been with that. The most success coming with a D3 8.5, set at D1 with the X Limited.

I've always been a high launch, high spin player and as we all know the 910 isn't exactly a spin killer. After reading tons of reviews on the Anser, I've picked up an 8.5 with the stock 'ahina 70x to give it a go. I'm playing this weekend and will report back on it's performance vs. some of the other combos I have used. Love the look, so I'm really hoping this thing performs.
[/quote]

I am a high hitter and like the combo you are trying. It will be interesting to see what results you get.

Guys, that is the combo I was fit for and I normally hit a high ball w/ tooooooo much spin. This combo for me anyway has a much lower trajectory w/ about 1000 less RPM's.

[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1351756756' post='5876487']
[quote name='RonSwanson' timestamp='1351715581' post='5874013']

[/quote]

I am a high hitter and like the combo you are trying. It will be interesting to see what results you get.
[/quote]

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

[quote name='Gunner22' timestamp='1351776690' post='5876951']
Guys, that is the combo I was fit for and I normally hit a high ball w/ tooooooo much spin. This combo for me anyway has a much lower trajectory w/ about 1000 less RPM's.
[/quote]

What was your previous setup?

When I first tested the Anser 9.5 on a launch monitor (flightscope), I was consistently getting spin rates in the low 2000 range (2100-2400) with the Ahina Stiff. I got those #'s with other 8.5* drivers but not a 9.5. Thee G20 is a great forgiving head but the Anser is the ANSWER for those seeking to lower spin rates. It's pretty much a max forgiving driver w/ player's driver performance.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Titleist D2 8.5* w/ an Oban Devotion 04 Stiff 65g

[quote name='RonSwanson' timestamp='1351776855' post='5876959']
[quote name='Gunner22' timestamp='1351776690' post='5876951']
[/quote]

What was your previous setup?
[/quote]

Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

Awesome review Gunner22. You are one lucky dog !!!

Titleist TSR2 8* Tensei Blue 55R

Callaway Paradym TD 15* Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Callaway Paradym TD 18* Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Callaway Paradym 21* 4H Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Ping I230 Orange 4-UW DG 105 R300

Vokey SM9 Black 54-10S 

Vokey SM8 Black 58-8M
Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 35"

Anser is the answer like it and it is true love mine the taylor made is a longer club (not in distance) but in length try standing the Ping answer up against any other most are longer in length so for me I was much more consistent with the Ping Anser love it so much I just got fitted for the 3 and 5 woods plus the 20 and 23 degree hybrids. aslo wanted new irons loved the look of the mizuno mp 53 but could not hit them walked out being fitted for ping I20 !!!

Ping are making some really good stuff at this moment in time!

used to be a taylor made slave I have now been se free by Ping!!!

NICE

[quote name='safc19371973' timestamp='1352144326' post='5894707']
Anser is the answer like it and it is true love mine the taylor made is a longer club (not in distance) but in length try standing the Ping answer up against any other most are longer in length so for me I was much more consistent with the Ping Anser love it so much I just got fitted for the 3 and 5 woods plus the 20 and 23 degree hybrids. aslo wanted new irons loved the look of the mizuno mp 53 but could not hit them walked out being fitted for ping I20 !!!

Ping are making some really good stuff at this moment in time!

used to be a taylor made slave I have now been se free by Ping!!!
[/quote]

Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

Before I get into my reactions after my first round with the Anser, there are a couple of things that need to be said. First, Sat. was cold. Temps hovered around 50 degrees and the wind was blustery at times. Obviously, you can't exactly get into your normal swing with a couple extra layers on. The other thing was with the Anser itself. Standard length is 45.25" and I didn't have time to have it cut down to my normal playing length of 44.5". I choked up, but it's still something to think about.

Ok, on to the mini review. I got to the course early to have some time on the range. It's been well documented how good looking this club is and I completely agree. The matte finish looks great and the club gives off an all business feel. One thing I noticed was the face seemed to look borderline closed. After a few swings, I think it was just b/c I had always played my 910 in the open setting and the standard was .5* open to start. I believe the Anser is built with a square face angle regardless of the setting, so it was probably just my eye playing tricks on me.

As good as the Anser looks, it's also a performer. Through the cold and the extra layers I was wearing, I was still getting great distance. The ball flight was flat, not a low launching screamer. The ball seemed to hit its apex midway through its flight and sit right there at the same height. Really impressive. I did have some issues with the length of the club. .75" is a significant difference from my gamers and I'm sure it was all mental, but even after choking up, I still knew something was off. I hit several off the toe and I think it was b/c in my mind I needed to "shorten up" the club to hit it in the center. Speaking of mishits, the shots that were off the toe were still very playable. Distance was obviously lost, but not as much as I anticipated after contact.

My biggest problem was with the feel/sound of the Anser. Maybe I'm just so used to Titleist that everything else sounds/feels odd, but I just couldn't get past it. It seemed louder and more metallic through contact. The results were still great, but I guess it's just one of those things, different strokes and all.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get on a trackman or flightscope, so I don't have any real numbers.

im not sure if this is the right place but how accurate is the ping online fitting? i entered my stats and its telling me that i need yellow dot, which is +1.5 degrees upright?

ping is already upright compared to my mizunos that i currently play and is telling me an additional 1.5 degrees? can this be right?

[quote name='acquadiice' timestamp='1352302358' post='5902975']
im not sure if this is the right place but how accurate is the ping online fitting? i entered my stats and its telling me that i need yellow dot, which is +1.5 degrees upright?

ping is already upright compared to my mizunos that i currently play and is telling me an additional 1.5 degrees? can this be right?
[/quote]

While online tools are a great starting point you should always select color code (lie angle) based on results from hitting the clubs. If I used the online chart it tells me +1/4-1/2 and green. I play +1/4" and black.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='floycota' timestamp='1352303059' post='5903017']
Ron what shaft do you have in it?
[/quote]

'ahina 70 X flex, Standard length, no tipping.

I have basically the same set-up and like it. I've played a bunch of different clubs though. I've played ultra loud clubs Nike and Cobra and I've also play some ultra quiet clubs R510 TP, 905, different Callaways. Sound isn't that big a deal to me. I think the Anser is somewhere in the middle of this range. I do think the feel of this club is great though (except it you catch the ball low on the face - ouch). I'd be interested if you think the feel is better once you get it cutdown.

[quote name='floycota' timestamp='1352304162' post='5903117']
I have basically the same set-up and like it. I've played a bunch of different clubs though. I've played ultra loud clubs Nike and Cobra and I've also play some ultra quiet clubs R510 TP, 905, different Callaways. Sound isn't that big a deal to me. I think the Anser is somewhere in the middle of this range. I do think the feel of this club is great though (except it you catch the ball low on the face - ouch). I'd be interested if you think the feel is better once you get it cutdown.
[/quote]

Loved the 905, played it forever.

I read in a thread, not sure if it was this one or another one, where someone went through 3 different Ansers and found one that sounded and felt completely different. I'm sure a little hotmelt would fix it too.

[quote name='RonSwanson' timestamp='1352306317' post='5903257']
[quote name='floycota' timestamp='1352304162' post='5903117']
[/quote]

Loved the 905, played it forever.

I read in a thread, not sure if it was this one or another one, where someone went through 3 different Ansers and found one that sounded and felt completely different. I'm sure a little hotmelt would fix it too.
[/quote]
Come to think of it, I've hit 4 different Ansers and one did feel quite different. I thought it was due to the real bad range balls. It might have been the difference of hotmelt though.

Man, I've hit probably a dozen different heads and they[i] all [/i]sounded the same. I posted a few vids on page 2 and it sure doesn't sound metallic to me. One thing I have noticed is the harder you hit it the more muted the sound. You could always try stuffing cotton balls to see if that mutes it a bit to your liking.

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

I got a chance to hit the Anser today and compare it to the 913 series and the i20. BLOWN AWAY! The Anser is pure gold if you ask me. Now I just have ot figure out what I can sell to get my hands on one!

I wrote a review here: [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/750011-im-a-believer-anser-vs-913d3-vs-i20-with-lm-numbers/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/750011-im-a-believer-anser-vs-913d3-vs-i20-with-lm-numbers/[/url]

TSR2 9* - 1K White 70
TSR2 15* - AD DI 7
Apex UW 19* - Diamana D+ 80
T150 4-PW - PX
SM8/SM9s - Modus 120
Scotty 5.5

[quote name='joeclothing' timestamp='1351128858' post='5841875']
So I rolled into Golfsmith this morning with a $400 giftcard....pretty much begging me to spend it. To my surprise a nice shiny bag full of 913 gear. For two years I played a D3 with tour ad di6 with great results. Started hitting a D2 with S+ shaft, a D3 with D+ shaft and then onto a D3 with Phenom. Hit ball after ball and couldn't crack 270 yds. Decided to grab a 9.5 Anser with Ahina and boom first ball 291. :swoon: Put it down and walked out.

While I was there I hit a 910 D3 against the 913 and got identical numbers. One thing I really did like about the 913's was the shaft selection. The S+ matte/pearl blue paint is awesome in the flesh. As far as performance goes the Anser takes the cake. :superman:
[/quote]

I had nearly the SAME experience today!

TSR2 9* - 1K White 70
TSR2 15* - AD DI 7
Apex UW 19* - Diamana D+ 80
T150 4-PW - PX
SM8/SM9s - Modus 120
Scotty 5.5

Previous gamer is a 9015d 10.5* with Accra SC65 stiff. Lots already written about that head so I won't waste your time. For me the Anser (9.5* with Stiff Ahina) is longer and straighter. Not sure if the straighter part is due to large sweet spot or less spin but misses are now mild cuts (right hander), misses with the Adams are slices, sometimes big slices. Miss hits with the Anser are longer as well. Overall more forgiving.

Length could also be due to late season hard fairways and half dead rough. Will need to see next year to be for sure. But just on forgiveness and spin, Anser is in, Adams is in the backup bag.

K

Update: Spent about 2 hours hitting the Anser on the range today. I can see a bit more what people are saying about sound. The head definitely has more of a metallic baseball bat sound to it. Funny because it sounds more muted when hitting it indoors. I also noticed that when I swapped my BB6X out for the Ahina the sound did change a bit. This lends credence to what some are saying about the shaft making a difference. I definitely think that this is one area where PING could improve on this club. I'm hoping the G25 will retain that lovely sound the G20 has.

NOW, as far as performance goes this thing does hit flat bombs, and it will make you forget all about the sound. I mean the ball just goes! When you nut one you can tell just how springy the face is and it seems like it hangs in the air forever. I would say it's an easy 10 yards longer than my G20, and I'm trying desperately to make this my gamer. I've got a tour spec coming and I have a feeling that this just might put it over the edge.

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB

I played another round over the weekend w/ my Anser. I actually played 9 holes w/ the Anser and 9 holes of the round w/ a buddies 913 w/ the same Ahina X shaft. The Anser was by far longer and more accurate for me. I love the sound far better with the Anser as well. I hit 6/7 fairways with the Anser and had 3 balls over 300 yards. 6/7 were over 285. The one miss was user error.

I found the 913 to be the same as my old 910, with a different paint job. Hit 5/7 fairways with it and did not get a ball over 295 with it.

All in all, I am glad I was picked to be one of the testers for WRX

Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

[quote name='Gunner22' timestamp='1352746113' post='5923279']
I played another round over the weekend w/ my Anser. I actually played 9 holes w/ the Anser and 9 holes of the round w/ a buddies 913 w/ the same Ahina X shaft. The Anser was by far longer and more accurate for me. I love the sound far better with the Anser as well. I hit 6/7 fairways with the Anser and had 3 balls over 300 yards. 6/7 were over 285. The one miss was user error.

I found the 913 to be the same as my old 910, with a different paint job. Hit 5/7 fairways with it and did not get a ball over 295 with it.

[/quote]

I am definately seeing more threads in favour of the Anser over the 913. Which is a bit of a worry, as I pick my 913 up on Wednesday!! Lol. I'm sure the 913 is a good Driver, but the votes for the Anser definately outweigh the 913.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1352749795' post='5923563']

[/quote]

I am definately seeing more threads in favour of the Anser over the 913. Which is a bit of a worry, as I pick my 913 up on Wednesday!! Lol. I'm sure the 913 is a good Driver, but the votes for the Anser definately outweigh the 913.
[/quote]
It all depends on what you need, in my experience the Anser is much, much lower spinning than the 910. I haven't hit the 913 but I heard the same thing holds true. There is a thread where someone tested them side-by-side.

I spend a few hours a week at Golfsmith hitting drivers just for the hell of it. I can say for sure that the Anser, G20, R11S, etc have all been consistently longer for me than the 913's. It sucks because I desperately love tinkering with drivers and want to own a 913. At this point though if it's not longer and more forgiving than what I currently have it ain't goin' in the bag!

Ping keeps churnin' out winners and for sure a G25 will be ordered the second they get released.

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB

By know means do I believe the 913 is a bad driver. i was in love with my 910 for a while. But, the Anser w/ the Ahina X increased my distance, improved my launch angle slightly, and most importantly, brought my spin rates down by about 1000 RPM's on average which is huge - especially since I play most of my golf in New England (The Ocean State) where wind is always a factor.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1352749795' post='5923563']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer