2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

'13 Callaway X Forged Iron Pics (updated 2/2/13 w/ more Pics)

GolfWRX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bjno1300' timestamp='1366766116' post='6904417']
Hit it today and it felt great. I ordered 4-pw with c-tapers x flex soft stepped 2 times. Can't wait.
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, why X ssx2 instead of like an S+ or something like that?

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='bjno1300' timestamp='1366808849' post='6906803']
Hayzoos Call away didnt give me the option of S+. R S or X. Now I have frequency of S+ but weight of X. Can't wait to get them.
[/quote]

Got it. I figured weight was the primary reason, but I'm surprised they didn't even have the S+ as an option. If you got the normal KBS Tours, that would make more sense, but I guess it's a bit surprising with the C-Tapers.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

I just got my 2013 X Forged 4-pw 5.0. I had the lofts and lies checked (new I would adjust the lies anyway) and found they were all over the place. Not only that but the lengths were off substantially as well. There was an inch difference in the PW and the 9 iron, while many were only 1/2 inch and some 3/4 inch difference. Anyone else see this problem?

Said Head was from Thailand, Shaft from USA and assembled in Mexico. With all of that I am not suprised to see it all of the map!! Literally.

DRIVER - Callaway Epic Max SL, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green (50gm, 5.5 tipped 1" @44.5"); Tensei CK Orange 60 Regular tipped 1" @ 44".

3 WOOD - Taylormade M5 Titanium 15*, Tensei CK Orange 70 regular; Tour Edge C722 15* Ventus Blue 6s 
5 WOOD - Tour Edge C721 19* Ventus Red 6s
HYBRID - Callaway Super Hybrid 20*, Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
IRONS - Srixon ZX5 (ver 1) 5-AW, Mercury Tour Pro-Kevlar firm; Tour Edge C722 5-AW, KBS TGI 80 Stiff
WEDGES - Ping Glide 4.0 54W, Glide 60T, both Ping ZZ115
PUTTERS - Yes! Rachel Tour, Bobby Grace Ollie HSM, Bobby Grace Smart Fit (KBS CT tour shaft), Bettinardi BB-1, Toulon Long Island, all at 34.5"

For what it's worth, my Callaway 2013 X-Forged set came as ordered (assembled in Mexico) with correct swing weights, lengths, lofts, and lies. I measured them myself.

I've ordered Mizuno and Titleist sets where the lofts, lies, and swing weights were not within tolerances. Taylormade once sent me a custom set of irons that were 3/4" longer than I ordered- throughout the set- and I verified that the specs were originally ordered correctly!

You just never know until you check. :busted2:

Would one think that the PXi shafts in the 2013 X Forged would launch higher than a KBS Tour?

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

[quote name='KoKo2' timestamp='1367426095' post='6951411']
Would one think that the PXi shafts in the 2013 X Forged would launch higher than a KBS Tour?
[/quote]

When I was fitted, I hit the PXI substantially higher than the KBS Tour and regular Project X shafts. Don't remember the specific data though, it was, however, visibly noticeable.

PXi 6.0 is like 110-112 grams and the KBS Tour is 120 grams in the stiff...little heavier for most people demands the top hand to pull thru more then the lighter weight shafts and if done correctly will deloft the head and produce a lower LA with the iron. KBS when struck well tend to be a mid to mid-high anyway, just more penetrating off the club. PXi is too light for me..love the smooth feel but would launch it way high they way it would lag in my downswing imparting a higher launch/more spin or both.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='ESONEULB' timestamp='1366785086' post='6906101']
[quote name='texcrom' timestamp='1366766805' post='6904501']
I find the MP-64's to be more forgiving.
[/quote]

That is what i have been told... we will find out on Thursday....
[/quote]

Haven't hit the MP-64, but have own/owned the Bridgestone j40 cavity backs and the j38 Dual Pockets. I have owned several of the Mizuno game improvement forged as well. The X Forged are by far the best feel through the ball and turf of any that I have owned previously. I am sure the quality of the forging has something to do with it, but the Pxi is very stable as well. The sole design, even with more bounce, just slides through the ground so nicely.

I am an old guy (soon to be 65yo) and play to a 4.3 index and have no problem with forgiveness from these irons as well. Even the long irons. My only nit is that there is a 1" length difference from 9 iron to PW. Was expecting a .5" between clubs all the way and now my gap wedge is longer than my PW! Only complaint so far. I still hit the PW lovely, solid with nice trajectories!

One can't go wrong with this set.

btw...I had bought the Ping G25 at the first of the year thinking I needed the help, but they were shorter distance, higher trajectories and just hard compared to these forged clubs. Traded them in for the Cally's!! Kept the Bridgestone j40's for backup!

DRIVER - Callaway Epic Max SL, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green (50gm, 5.5 tipped 1" @44.5"); Tensei CK Orange 60 Regular tipped 1" @ 44".

3 WOOD - Taylormade M5 Titanium 15*, Tensei CK Orange 70 regular; Tour Edge C722 15* Ventus Blue 6s 
IRONS - Srixon ZX5 (ver 1) 5-AW, Mercury Tour Pro-Kevlar firm; Tour Edge C722 5-AW, KBS TGI 80 Stiff
PUTTERS - Yes! Rachel Tour, Bobby Grace Ollie HSM, Bobby Grace Smart Fit (KBS CT tour shaft), Bettinardi BB-1, Toulon Long Island, all at 34.5"

[quote name='Bobalu' timestamp='1366836408' post='6910391']
For what it's worth, my Callaway 2013 X-Forged set came as ordered (assembled in Mexico) with correct swing weights, lengths, lofts, and lies. I measured them myself.

I've ordered Mizuno and Titleist sets where the lofts, lies, and swing weights were not within tolerances. Taylormade once sent me a custom set of irons that were 3/4" longer than I ordered- throughout the set- and I verified that the specs were originally ordered correctly!

You just never know until you check. :busted2:
[/quote]

The X Forged were the second new set of clubs I orderd this year (see previous post) and the Pings were supposed to be +1* upgright (blue). The lofts and lies turned out to be all over the map. Had them all adjusted and still didn't like them.

So when the X Forged came I went through the same process of lie board, etc. They were much closer to the specs but not perfect. I am amazed how poor quality control is in clubs as expensive as they are now!

Like the poster said, it pays to check!!

one more day, one more day
sun is out today, but still only like 5*C
tomorrow will be 18+*C and my home course range SHOULD be open

time to take these for a test drive
super stoked

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='enis750' timestamp='1367434569' post='6952443']
one more day, one more day
sun is out today, but still only like 5*C
tomorrow will be 18+*C and my home course range SHOULD be open

time to take these for a test drive
super stoked
[/quote]

You are going to like them. I had Miura 501 and MP 64 prior to the X Forged. The X Forged are more forgiving and feel just as good.

Always Changing!!!

I cannot help but smile every time I walk past these in the garage. They are too gorgeous. Its the first set I clean after every round. I'm a m-f 9-5'er and the weekend cannot get here fast enough!

Callaway Razr Fit 9.5 (AD DI 7S)
Callaway Razr Fit 15 (Diamana BB)
Callaway Razr X HL 21 (Diamana D+)
Callaway '13 X-Forged 4-PW (C-Taper)
Callaway Forged 52-56-60
SC Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='krj122' timestamp='1367599284' post='6964458']
Picking mine up tomorrow. Couldn't believe how soft they were. Coming from MP59s DGX100 ss . Ended up with 4-pw pxi 6.0
[/quote]

Keep this thread posted on your opinions and thoughts on the PXi. I'm interested to see how your progression is from an X100 to PXi 6.0.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1367603497' post='6964774']
Picking mine up tomorrow. Couldn't believe how soft they were. Coming from MP59s DGX100 ss . Ended up with 4-pw pxi 6.0
[/quote]

Keep this thread posted on your opinions and thoughts on the PXi. I'm interested to see how your progression is from an X100 to PXi 6.0.
[/quote]
Grabbing them in the AM tomorrow then range in afternoon then I have a Tee time for sunday so will report back on Monday

Well, I have 6 rounds on my 2013 x forged PXI6.0. I absolutely love the head but I can attest that the ball goes high. I came from a 2007 X forged head with rifle flighted 6.0 shafts and I drove the ball more with these. Originally I thought it was my swing, but it isn't. The positive is that the long irons hit bombs, negative is that the lofted irons go very high. I think I will keep playing these and just adjust to the difference.

As a comparo, IMO they play very similar to the Mizuno MP53. The bounce and the weight feel the same.

Last two rounds with these were 76 & 74 at my local muni. I play to a 9 and these irons have given me a lot of confidence. I've never hit the center of the club face more often then with any other set of irons, seriously addicting to hit these over & over. I've never been a very good striker of irons, just average, relying mostly on a good short game to score in the mid-low 80's.

A couple of things, the MP 64's aren't as forgiving, think its the bounce and might be smaller heel to toe as well. Top lines are very similar, but as for playability the Cally's are much more forgiving without losing the blade like look at address; that's what I love about these sticks the most, you get the best of both worlds.

I haven't noticed any ballooning, maybe slightly in the mid irons 6-8, and the scoring irons 9-PW have a piercing trajectory for me. I went with the stock PXI in 6.0 stiff; the lightweight shaft enables me to feel the club head at the top which is big for me. I come into the ball with a shallow/sweep angle and my transition is on the quick side; shaft and head just works for me and LOVING IT.

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1367603497' post='6964774']
[/quote]

[/quote]Just a little background on me. Play to about a 4-5, 27 years old. Been playing Dynamic gold my whole life. Played s300 most of the time but my miss would be a pull hook left. Felt they weren't stiff enough. Wanted something stiffer so got fitted by mizuno on shaft optimizer 3 years ago. he said I could play x100 SS. Got numerous sets w those shafts. Ended up semi liking Mizuno MP59s . Couldn't miss left with these but once in a while I would hit big cut to the right so I figured these may be too stiff/too heavy. Never loved any of my irons though, over past few years so figured to try a new shaft. I Hit my 6 iron 177-182 range. Picked up the Callaway X forged Saturday from my buddy whos a Callaway Rep. Got 4-PW with PXI 6.0 shafts. I usually play irons lengthened +1/4-1/2" longer but these already come +1/4" over my mizunos and pings ive had. Played a round yesterday. Slight breeze maybe 10-12MPH. Ended up shooting 80 only 3rd rd of the year because the weather has been awful in Boston. Driver was all over the place. The Irons played the same distances as my Mizunos did with the DGX100 but the PXI 6.0s are way more accurate. I think my only bad iron shot was side hill lie from 200 out with the 4 iron. For me at least I can really feel these Irons throughout the whole swing. When these are pured absolutely feel softer then my mizuno mp59s. They hit a tight small cut every time. I had no issues with ballooning as I saw some people suggest I may. Holes into slight breeze I clubbed up 1 iron yesterday and had no issues. For me the 4-6 were very impressive. These are the irons I had my bad misses with the DGX100 ss. Figured with the lighter shaft I would launch much higher. The 4-6 hit semi low, small cut lasers. 7-pw height is no different then my DGX100ss but way more accurate. Maybe the DGx100ss were too stiff/heavy for my swing, im not sure, but I am very happy with my purchase of the 6.0PXI and looking forward to Saturday to play again. Highly recommend if you are on the fence

My last set had s300 and like krj122, I find the PXi to be much more accurate. I have a very late release and the PXi seems to keep up with me better than the s300 did. Yes, they hit high but I have not seen any ballooning at all. Playing in 25 mph winds on Saturday and iron shots seemed to cut through the wind.

Ping G410 Plus 9* Driver w/ Graphite Design AD-DI7x

Ping G410 LST 14.5* 3 wood w/ Graphite Design AD-DI8x
Taylormade p790 UDI 2 iron w/ DG AMT x100
Mizuno JPX919 Tour 4-PW w/ PX 6.5
Vokey SM7 50/8, 55/9 & 60/8* w/ PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 33"

Titleist ProV1 (yellow)

Hit these irons in the simulator over the weekend at a Callaway demo day...wow. I have been playing callaway protos now for 4 years and thought I would just keep getting those as they seem to just be the perfect club for me....The X forged 2013's had me placing an order after about 30-45 min with the 5 iron and 7 iron. I also hit the X hot pro the same day and those were actually surprisingly nice feeling for a cast club. I am a long time s300 player and recently have been playing the kbs tour x flexes in a set I have been trying out(protos also), so the fitter had me in a 6.5 pxi in the x forged and a 6.5 95 in the x hot pros. I much preferred the pxi but it could also have been the heads with the x forged. I tend to load the shaft quite a bit and the KBS tour x flex just feels boardy to me but the 6.5 pxi had a nice smooth load with a good shallow bottom out at the ball. I cant wait to get em. Probably going to be looking for a used set as a backup soon as well and may try a different shaft just for fun. If the x forged was not this good I may have bought the xhp as they were nice but the blade length kind of threw me off as well as a little too much offset in the higher lofts..

For those of you who will ask I hit my 6 iron around 190-200 and am a high ball hitter with a draw and pretty steep angle of attack.

[quote name='krj122' timestamp='1367840530' post='6978204']
Just a little background on me. Play to about a 4-5, 27 years old. Been playing Dynamic gold my whole life. Played s300 most of the time but my miss would be a pull hook left. Felt they weren't stiff enough. Wanted something stiffer so got fitted by mizuno on shaft optimizer 3 years ago. he said I could play x100 SS. Got numerous sets w those shafts. Ended up semi liking Mizuno MP59s . Couldn't miss left with these but once in a while I would hit big cut to the right so I figured these may be too stiff/too heavy. Never loved any of my irons though, over past few years so figured to try a new shaft. I Hit my 6 iron 177-182 range. Picked up the Callaway X forged Saturday from my buddy whos a Callaway Rep. Got 4-PW with PXI 6.0 shafts. I usually play irons lengthened +1/4-1/2" longer but these already come +1/4" over my mizunos and pings ive had. Played a round yesterday. Slight breeze maybe 10-12MPH. Ended up shooting 80 only 3rd rd of the year because the weather has been awful in Boston. Driver was all over the place. The Irons played the same distances as my Mizunos did with the DGX100 but the PXI 6.0s are way more accurate. I think my only bad iron shot was side hill lie from 200 out with the 4 iron. For me at least I can really feel these Irons throughout the whole swing. When these are pured absolutely feel softer then my mizuno mp59s. They hit a tight small cut every time. I had no issues with ballooning as I saw some people suggest I may. Holes into slight breeze I clubbed up 1 iron yesterday and had no issues. For me the 4-6 were very impressive. These are the irons I had my bad misses with the DGX100 ss. Figured with the lighter shaft I would launch much higher. The 4-6 hit semi low, small cut lasers. 7-pw height is no different then my DGX100ss but way more accurate. Maybe the DGx100ss were too stiff/heavy for my swing, im not sure, but I am very happy with my purchase of the 6.0PXI and looking forward to Saturday to play again. Highly recommend if you are on the fence
[/quote]

Good to hear the transition worked out well for you. Going from a heavy, stiff shaft to a lighter, less flex shaft can be a big jump for people. I didn't get along with the PXi shafts at all and just had them replaced with C-Tapers and immediately noticed better contact and better ballflight. I guess it's a good thing they make so many shafts as not any of them will fit everyone best!

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W