2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

'13 Callaway X Forged Iron Pics (updated 2/2/13 w/ more Pics)

GolfWRX

[quote name='Jimmie48' timestamp='1367852841' post='6979258']
Hit these irons in the simulator over the weekend at a Callaway demo day...wow. I have been playing callaway protos now for 4 years and thought I would just keep getting those as they seem to just be the perfect club for me....The X forged 2013's had me placing an order after about 30-45 min with the 5 iron and 7 iron. I also hit the X hot pro the same day and those were actually surprisingly nice feeling for a cast club. I am a long time s300 player and recently have been playing the kbs tour x flexes in a set I have been trying out(protos also), so the fitter had me in a 6.5 pxi in the x forged and a 6.5 95 in the x hot pros. I much preferred the pxi but it could also have been the heads with the x forged. I tend to load the shaft quite a bit and the KBS tour x flex just feels boardy to me but the 6.5 pxi had a nice smooth load with a good shallow bottom out at the ball. I cant wait to get em. Probably going to be looking for a used set as a backup soon as well and may try a different shaft just for fun. If the x forged was not this good I may have bought the xhp as they were nice but the blade length kind of threw me off as well as a little too much offset in the higher lofts..

For those of you who will ask I hit my 6 iron around 190-200 and am a high ball hitter with a draw and pretty steep angle of attack.
[/quote]

These are to notch irons and there are not to many that have tried them that didn't like them. What is your swing speed with the driver/6 iron? The reason i ask is that i have a set of these with the pxi in 6.0 and I am hitting the ball imo to high with these are are around half a club shorter than in my proto's which were the flighted 6.0. i am thinking of getting another set with the PXI 6.5 and do a bit of a comparison. It would interesting to hear how others have gone with the transition and these irons from the px flighted to the PXI shafts.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am playing the 2013 in PXI 6.0, coming from the '09 X forged in flighted 6.0. I find the new ones more forgiving and with the lighter shaft I feel like I actually gained about a half club in distance. The ball does go higher, which is good for me as I typically hit it pretty low. The one thing that I am struggling with is the short irons. They feel really light and I am having a hard time time keeping them online. I tend to pull the wedge and 9 iron a bit due to the lighter feel. But I love these clubs, definite upgrade over the 09 x forged in my opinion. They feel awesome and the shafts seem to work for me, especially in the longer irons. For what it is worth, I am a 4 handicap with a driver swing speed in the 105mph range.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Anybody come from the XHP? I know some of you have hit them but wondering if anyone left their XHPs for these.

As good as I'm playing with my XHPs, I still can't get these out of my head.

I was fitted for XHPs with PXi but (long story), ended up with KBS Tours. Very happy with them but wondering what the XForged/PXi combo would do for me. Strongly considering just getting a set but wanted opinions if anyone wants to chime in.

9* TM M5 w/GD AD BB-6
15* TM M6 w/Atmos
19* TM SIM Max w/Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex '19 w/KBS Tour
Callaway MD5 54*
Callaway PM Grind '19 58*
Odyssey StrokeLab Ten S (Tour only NO sightline) 33"

[quote name='lvmike' timestamp='1367938704' post='6985522']
Anybody come from the XHP? I know some of you have hit them but wondering if anyone left their XHPs for these.

As good as I'm playing with my XHPs, I still can't get these out of my head.

I was fitted for XHPs with PXi but (long story), ended up with KBS Tours. Very happy with them but wondering what the XForged/PXi combo would do for me. Strongly considering just getting a set but wanted opinions if anyone wants to chime in.
[/quote]

Hit up Ramon, golfware. He has both sets. I know he has C-Tapers in his XHP irons, but I can't remember what he went with in his X Forged.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

Ramon went PXi in his X Forged, then bought a set of XHP's with the Ctapers in stiff...and loves them. He could easily play the X Forged in the Ctaper also, but working on his swing right now and better off with the XHP for the time being. PXi are 10 grams lighter than the KBS Tours(assuming both are Stiff), and I think that is what got Ramon and Hayzooos a bit...they both are fairly aggressive thru the ball and frankly, the heavier weight suits their swings.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Thanks guys! Man, gotta love Golfwrx when you can throw out a question and, boom, information, reference material. Sweet.

I've got PXi in my wedges and really like the lighter feel, but I have noticed my tendencies are toward heavier shafts. Tried going super lightweight (~50g) in my driver and 60ish g in fwys but, after my fitting and some time on the range, the dispersion and ball flight just work better for me if I go up 15g or so.

Guess it's potentially a pricey experiment, but who of us isn't willing to risk that?

That, and really yearning for that forged feel (had MP-53s before the XHP). Although the XHP are a nice feel for cast, those X Forged keep sticking in my head.

9* TM M5 w/GD AD BB-6
15* TM M6 w/Atmos
19* TM SIM Max w/Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex '19 w/KBS Tour
Callaway MD5 54*
Callaway PM Grind '19 58*
Odyssey StrokeLab Ten S (Tour only NO sightline) 33"

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1367948350' post='6986496']
Ramon went PXi in his X Forged, then bought a set of XHP's with the Ctapers in stiff...and loves them. He could easily play the X Forged in the Ctaper also, but working on his swing right now and better off with the XHP for the time being. PXi are 10 grams lighter than the KBS Tours(assuming both are Stiff), and I think that is what got Ramon and Hayzooos a bit...they both are fairly aggressive thru the ball and frankly, the heavier weight suits their swings.
[/quote]

The heavier weight is a big help for the guys with high swing speed and a fast transition. I make a aggressive move at the ball and have found the PXI in 6.0 a touch light and sometimes hard to control the trajectory. I thing going up a flex in these compared to what you normally play would be a good choice. I am going to try the 6.5 and see how they go. I went from proto's with flighted 6.0 to the 6.0 PXI in these and feel I am half a club shorter and the ball flight is a lot higher than what it was in the proto's. I know they are different clubs. I think the lighter shaft is the big factor though. I will soon know as there a set of the 6.5 on the way to me.

[quote name='sodbuster' timestamp='1368384805' post='7018106']
I hit both when getting fit and actually hit the forged better. That probably has to do with the fact that they are more in line with what im used to. My pro said he would have NO problem fitting a 15 into the forged
[/quote]

I'm sure the reason for the handicap is a big factor. A decent ball striker at a 15 may struggle off the tee or with the putter. I've hit both in simulators and I would swear the Forged is awfully easy to hit. The XHP was also, was a bit longer, and maybe better on extreme perimeter misses.

[quote name='dtorn4' timestamp='1368368595' post='7016910']
any word on an a wedge?
[/quote]

So has anyone heard anything about a gap wedge coming yet? Inquiring minds want to know.

Taylormade M2 9.5* @ 7.5* Rogue 110 Silver 60x
Taylormade M2 15* VTS Red 75x
Ping Rapture DI 18* VTS Silver 85x
Ping S55 3-PW PX Flighted 6.0
Ping Glide 52* SS & Glide 58* SS
Ping Anser Milled #6 35"

I just picked up a set of 09 X-Forged off fleabay for a steal.As a 13 handicap if I get along good with those,the 2013 models will be in the bag next year.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Played 4 rounds now with my 13's coming from Protos with DGS300's in them I have the PXI 6.5s in my 13's...

Very happy so far I will say that the ball flight has been higher for me but I am a high ball hitter anyway with a decent amount of spin. I swing pretty hard with a lot of lag (118 driver)....and go at it pretty hard with my irons. The 6.5's are holding up well for me. I think the spin as far as ballooning is down for my swing somewhat due to the conforming grooves as well as the shafts but I am still hitting them a little higher than I would like but they are carrying very long.

As far as comparison to the MB's/Protos, I would say feel is similar on well struck shots, they look similar at address, very classic...but there is some forgiveness on these irons that was not on the Protos. Especially for me on the toe misses.

Overall these are staying in my bag a while...unless I get sick of the high ball flight I have a couple sets of shafts I could try one day but the heads are fantastic. Best clubs out IMO. Hold up well too btw....several range sessions, still look new.

I feel this is the appropriate place to confess to something....

I hit these irons at the range on Wednesday...and didn't clean them after :(

Callaway Razr Fit 9.5 (AD DI 7S)
Callaway Razr Fit 15 (Diamana BB)
Callaway Razr X HL 21 (Diamana D+)
Callaway '13 X-Forged 4-PW (C-Taper)
Callaway Forged 52-56-60
SC Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='Jericho' timestamp='1368815339' post='7054904']
I feel this is the appropriate place to confess to something....

I hit these irons at the range on Wednesday...and didn't clean them after :(
[/quote]

:ban:

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1368954063' post='7062652']
How have they guys that have had these for a decent period of time finding the finish holding up? The reason why I ask is some of the nice forged irons I have had before tend to scar up quickly and show wear a lot faster then others.
[/quote]

The finish is holding up fine, probably better than my previous set which were J40 CBs.

[quote name='HISPL' timestamp='1368957588' post='7062692']
[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1368954063' post='7062652']
How have they guys that have had these for a decent period of time finding the finish holding up? The reason why I ask is some of the nice forged irons I have had before tend to scar up quickly and show wear a lot faster then others.
[/quote]

The finish is holding up fine, probably better than my previous set which were J40 CBs.
[/quote]

Thats good. Mine have been holding up ok so far. I have just picked up some with the PXI 6.5 in them to test and see if the ball flight is better than what I have been getting in the PXI 6.0. I think these clubs are top shelf and intend to keep these for a long time. Or should I say a couple of summers. I like the idea of the finish holding up because you see a large number of other clubs with chrome or rusty look type finishes and the clubs look terrible after a shortish period of time.

have over 15 rounds in with mine in mainly wet conditions and such, and there is not a blemish on them anywhere..very sturdy finish, IMHO!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link