2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Inconsistent swing, looking for any help! 12HC

Hey everyone,

I've been playing golf on/off for about a year now, and I have established a 12HC, but my shots tend to very a lot on different days. I have an average of 117-125mph swing speed, and play a slight draw. However, lately its turned in to a MAJOR hook, which is odd, as I used to suffer from a slice. The past few days I actually got out to the range and have seemed to straighten it out by slightly speeding up my backswing, and having a weaker left handed grip.

I've pretty much taught myself the game of golf, with the occasional input of those I'm paired with when I play alone. My "role model" if you will, is Bubba, as I've seen him in person the most..I'm not sure if that was the wisest choice to model my swing after ;) Anyways..here is two shots from yesterday, DL Driver, and FO 3 Wood

Driver: TaylorMade R11, Stock X-Stiff shaft: hit this shot dead straight, around 320 yards

[media=]

[/media]

3 Wood: Taylormade RBZ Tour 3 TP S-Flex Shaft: Hit OK about 225 with a bit of a slice.

[media=]

[/media]

Let me know If you need any more info! Thanks to all who take a look :)

Cheers,

Chris

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
Mizuno MP15 PX6.5 Flighted
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Taylormade BurnerAero TP 3&5 Wood
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maintain right knee flex during the swing.
club face is closed at the top of the swing.. club head needs to be matching your left arm plane at the top of the swing.
way under the swing plane on your downswing at the halfway down position.

i would say with the swing i see here on camera.. the only way you hit the ball is out to the right.. if it is hooking.. it is because the club face is closed. Hence the closed club position at the top of the swing. If the face is open.. you get a block fade. what is needed to be done.. is to maybe shorten the backswing... match the club head with your left arm at the top. Then come into the ball at the halfway downswing position a little more from the outside. Then you might be able to hit straighter shots without the big ball getting in the way of the little one.

Thanks guys! I'll try and get out to the range tomorrow and work on it/get some videos. I've always had trouble with my knee, and just with some practice swings(keeping knee flexed), it almost feels like it straitens out the whole swing, as it forces me to coil and bring the club back at a much better angle. My clubs are all 3 degrees upright if that makes any difference(minus the woods).

Any easy drills to keep that right leg flexed? Also, do you think this will shorten my yardage by much? Really appreciate it guys!!
Thanks,
Chris

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

Doesnt bubba straighten the back leg also. So do all the.stack n tilt proponents. On the flip side anyone who adopted hogans theory beleive in the flexed knee to create tension. straightening the back leg lets you turn the hips deeper for a longer body turn. I think the flex knee is more a consistant shot makers turn. Shorter with more compression. Less things to get out of whack than a big arc. Bubba even rides up onto the ridge on his back foot to make a full turn. Another common nono. With a big driver swing his feet come out place also. But hey..... first in greens in reg 2011. You cant really argue. Hesbnot big or muscular. Lanky like a boxer. To generate that kinda speed he has a kind of deceiving athletism.

[quote name='ChrisX831' timestamp='1351222393' post='5847921']
Thanks guys! I'll try and get out to the range tomorrow and work on it/get some videos. I've always had trouble with my knee, and just with some practice swings(keeping knee flexed), it almost feels like it straitens out the whole swing, as it forces me to coil and bring the club back at a much better angle. My clubs are all 3 degrees upright if that makes any difference(minus the woods).

Any easy drills to keep that right leg flexed? Also, do you think this will shorten my yardage by much? Really appreciate it guys!!
Thanks,
Chris
[/quote] feelbyour weight stay more to the inside arch of foot. You just focus on it not straigtening it and not letting the knee slide back. When tension builds in your bum and ham to where you just stop turning. It definatly is a more compact core move.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! Thanks again for all of the help. Sorry I haven't responded in a while, i've been heavily involved in midterms and finals. Its been hard to get out but i managed about 5 rounds since last posting. I'll post up a video of the improved swing as soon as I get it uploaded on youtube!

I've definitely improved, I'm hitting every iron shot and wood almost perfectly, but not the driver :(. Still need to work on getting the driver face square on impact. I've increased ranges on all of my clubs as well. 7i previously 170, now 180(give or take maybe 1-2 yards). I really can't thank you guys enough for the help out! Hoping to cut my handi down significantly in the coming months. Tour dreams, Scratch Reality.

Cheers

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

looking better.. keep it up..

A little bit of early extension with the hips on the down swing.

What i like to feel is the belt buckle would be crunching inwards on the downswing. Also, i like to roll to the instep of the right foot on the downswing, to keep the hips at bay.

Also, some exercises or stretches for the hips wouldn't hurt.

The idea behind the madness is to make more room for your hands and hips on the downswing. Otherwise, your timing has to be perfect for it to work.

Alright, next time Im at the range I'll give it a go. Thanks for the feedback Rick, its greatly appreciated!! Could the fact I have long clubs and 3 degrees upright, effect anything? When I first started playing seriously(around jan of last year) I went to a range, where they had all of the manufactures, i think it was a test day, you could hit anything you wanted from anyone. When I hit my clubs they put tape on the bottom and told me I needed 3 degrees upright, and it would take the slice out of play.

I believed them and for graduation my parents got my clubs and I ordered them S300 3Degrees upright, and like an inch and a half longer I think. I'm 6'1ish do I really need the extra lengthy clubs? I'm trying to pursue golf as a potential bill payer, and I just want to make sure my equipment is right, and will last me a while.

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

[quote name='ChrisX831' timestamp='1355471337' post='6066969']
Alright, next time Im at the range I'll give it a go. Thanks for the feedback Rick, its greatly appreciated!! Could the fact I have long clubs and 3 degrees upright, effect anything? When I first started playing seriously(around jan of last year) I went to a range, where they had all of the manufactures, i think it was a test day, you could hit anything you wanted from anyone. When I hit my clubs they put tape on the bottom and told me I needed 3 degrees upright, and it would take the slice out of play.

I believed them and for graduation my parents got my clubs and I ordered them S300 3Degrees upright, and like an inch and a half longer I think. I'm 6'1ish do I really need the extra lengthy clubs? I'm trying to pursue golf as a potential bill payer, and I just want to make sure my equipment is right, and will last me a while.
[/quote]

Well, most manufactures have their own club fitting technique. The length of the club is usually decided by the wrist to ground measurement, and your height. The best way to find the lie angle is the getting fitted with a lie board. Lie angles can change if your setup changes. For example, if your hands were to low and you decided to move them higher.. you would more than likely need a lie angle change. Personally, i like to take the club out on the coarse and look at the divot made by the club. If i noticed one side deeper than the other.. i have an issue. The best way to get exact measurement is the board.

After you get fitted with the proper specs. The ultimate decision comes to what feels comfortable with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rick! I'll stick to what I have for now, though I would love the new Scotty and R1 :)

Here are two updated swing videos, it looks like i've gone back to straightening that right knee, though there is still some bend in it.

Here is one from the range last week. R11 3 Iron, dead straight and hit the mid section of the net in the back ((270 i think))

http://youtu.be/H3QXWWaplbo

Here is another from a round I played yesterday, shot 79. This is a 125ish yard shot with my 52degree, it landed a bit right of the green.

http://youtu.be/kpMd5bwaXkk

This is the most current, with a shortened + quicker backswing and downswing.

Thanks for the help :)

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

So, i just went on a dicks sporting goods, shopping spree. Got some new (actual fitted) golf pants, a few shirts and my first real pair of golf shoes. Is it weird that I feel and play better with expensive cleats? I used to play with the addidas that had rubber soles, and I would slip on my shots and not have much traction. I got the new addidas crossbrands, and I feel so much sturdier..its awesome! :D Hope you ll had a great christmas, and have a wonderful new year.

Here is my current swing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw_vbt9c72A

hit a nice draw about 250ish.
Thoughts?

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

swing looks good... post another side video, if you could.

Let me ask you a question... Where are the V's in your grip aiming towards? If you don't know what i mean by V's.. its the thumb and index finger when you put them together they make a crease.

The reason why i am asking this question.. The club is closed at the top of the swing. For the type of swing you have.. some people would say 2 1/2 knuckles showing is about the average. Everyone is a little different.. They should be pointing between the right ear and shoulder i would say.

You need to try to fix your inside takeaway and your grip.

[quote name='Birddog2' timestamp='1351128104' post='5841823']
+1 on the knee flex.
[/quote]

In your initial video your knees [i]are[/i] wild. Scissoring.
If you are a 12 cap and spraying your drives, don't swing so hard. 125mph driver speed is off the charts.
------
You need to stay in posture. Swinging hard will tend to pull you out of your posture and when you come out of it, your plane changes.

Now I went and watched your video in the white shirt. Much better. Cleaner. You look like a pro. Remember most great hall of famer pro's that generate a lot of clubhead speed don't look like they are swinging hard (Freddy, Ernie). Make that your goal. Fool your playing partners into thinking your are swinging smooth and easy, but blow it past them with your finesse! Stay in your address posture through the swing - and finish "around". You are athletic enough to generate speed and finesse at the same time.

The pic below shows what violent speed does to your posture and plane. If that ball went straight it was due to a coincidence of timing bad things :) (but good work on your white shirt video - pretty)

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

Thanks, rick! I will as soon as I can get back out.

Thanks for the input, station! Yeah, I've played around 75 rounds of golf so far in my life, and not one has been trying to put the ball in a certain spot, its always been "remember, do this! NO NOT THAT, THIS..YOU IDIOT!" It turns out, thats a bad way to play golf ;)

I shot my lowest score ever when I played in that white shirt, the reason? on the 9th hole, I told myself to think like bubba claims to think. Make a shot shape in your mind, and just swing. I'll work on staying in posture, I also have finally given in and will be taking a few lessons with one of the pros at a local course, so that should help as well. Heres to a successful year of golf, for myself and you both as well!

Happy New Years :)

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

Thanks Chris,

Golf is a very mental game. Stay positive, don't ever get down on yourself. I know when i am playing around of golf.. If something is going bad... i usually look at my setup. As for example.. my putting stroke today.. i realized i was aiming the putter to the left.. and noticed i was pulling every putt. This cost me about 4 shots in my round today.. even though i shot a 69.. could of easily been a 65... I stayed positive..i was thinking about why i was pulling putts.. grip or alignment.. would be my thoughts for example. I don't want to think about the actual putting stroke.. That is for the practice area.

Have a happy new year Chris, and to better rounds of golf!!

Thanks for the extra tips! I'll put them into practice over the next few weeks. I just received my hitting mat and net, so I'll finally be able to put golf first(after god,friends, and family of course!) and be able to practice whenever I want.

This will probably be my last video for a couple of weeks, so I can really develop it, I realized its sort of pointless to post videos every week :P.

Here's a nine iron shot from today(tried focusing on inside takeaway/breaking wrists), set another personal record, shooting 75.

http://youtu.be/HRbSelx2w5U

Cheers rick! Congrats on that great round, hope you can get back out at post up that 65 :)

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, here is a front on view! Cheers to everyone that has helped me out :)

FO 3i hit low fade(aka slice), only about 195(struck near heel of club).

[media=]http://youtu.be/-v6Id-rtg8I[/media]

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

• 5 weeks later...

I think ive finally started to get rid of that pesky early extension! Here are a couple from yesterday.

http://youtu.be/uS5H4wBsdcc
Driver

http://youtu.be/yiJozSRCj1Q
PW: I hit this a little fat, but my first shot was on the money. 140yards about 10ft from the hole!!

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

[quote name='360_CS' timestamp='1360827085' post='6426075']
No input from me. But that swing looks a lot better than the first one. It's always nice see people improve.

Some other more qualified members could say if i'm correct but try and not keep your head down for too long, it stops your upper body releasing properly.
[/quote]

Its been a fun ride with this swing, I've been at it for a couple of months now, and I'm still a baby in this game, so theres lots of work to do!

I appreciate the extra input, and put it into effect today at spanish bay! Shot a 78 today! Getting lower

[media=]http://youtu.be/AGYBj4UaSQo[/media]

Par 3 playing about 125-130, 52 Degree ATV Wedge.

Knocked it to about 15 feet and made the putt, best feeling ever! It hurt my ears this one did haha :)

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ChrisX831' timestamp='1356259755' post='6107303']
Thanks Rick! I'll stick to what I have for now, though I would love the new Scotty and R1 :)

Here are two updated swing videos, it looks like i've gone back to straightening that right knee, though there is still some bend in it.

Here is one from the range last week. R11 3 Iron, dead straight and hit the mid section of the net in the back ((270 i think))

http://youtu.be/H3QXWWaplbo

Here is another from a round I played yesterday, shot 79. This is a 125ish yard shot with my 52degree, it landed a bit right of the green.

http://youtu.be/kpMd5bwaXkk

This is the most current, with a shortened + quicker backswing and downswing.

Thanks for the help :)
[/quote]

Much better!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='The Golf Swing Shirt' timestamp='1366940312' post='6919139']
Chris,
I really like the dynamics of your golf swing..I wouldn't opt for a shortened quicker version.
The "natural" version is indicative of a low handicappers swing (great tempo and angles) so focus on your short game and putting at this point !
Good work and cheers,
Ray
[/quote]
Thanks for the comments ray! New videos will be up within the hour if you're interested!

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

Hey everyone! Been a while since I've updated my swing to this post. I've been working on it on and off for a bit and I think I'm getting closer and closer to what I'm looking for. Still missing with a pull, or strong hook/thin shots(picking the ball)..haven't sliced it in months! Here are the videos, had an amazing week! Played San Juan Oaks, followed by Pebble, followed by Cypress Point..followed by new clubs :).

http://youtu.be/y5_WuYLMOPY
This is my current Driver swing(swaying to my right side?)

http://youtu.be/x7oyMDxTdbc
Also picked this ball, and missed to the left about 5ish yards

Any help would be great! Finally started working on my short game, so hopefully good things are to come!
Thanks everyone for taking a look :)

915 8.5 Fuji TS X 7.3
SM5 Vokeys TI S400
Bettinardi BB1F
ProV1

[quote name='ChrisX831' timestamp='1369557136' post='7109012']
Hey everyone! Been a while since I've updated my swing to this post. I've been working on it on and off for a bit and I think I'm getting closer and closer to what I'm looking for. Still missing with a pull, or strong hook/thin shots(picking the ball)..haven't sliced it in months! Here are the videos, had an amazing week! Played San Juan Oaks, followed by Pebble, followed by Cypress Point..followed by new clubs :).

http://youtu.be/y5_WuYLMOPY
This is my current Driver swing(swaying to my right side?)

http://youtu.be/x7oyMDxTdbc
Also picked this ball, and missed to the left about 5ish yards

Any help would be great! Finally started working on my short game, so hopefully good things are to come!
Thanks everyone for taking a look :)
[/quote]

Great courses and sorry you have to play a such dog tracks ..LOL. You will never forget them and when you take the experiences seriously, which I think you do it will make you a better player.

With regards to your swing I would not change a thing..your set up, tempo,balance and finish are fantastic. If you have a common "miss" in your game, don't revamp your whole swing to correct that ..just manage It and know where you dont want that shot to occur. People would argue this and my response is ALL swing methods have a natural miss built into it and the when and where it rears its ugly head and how you manage it will define your score.

Really focus on your short game and putting since your swing indicates a much lower HCP...easy 6 ! I learned from David Pelz,Jimmy Ballard and Padraig Harrington that ALL great putters and short gamers HOLD THEIR FINISH and all poor players don't.

We also sponsor Bobby "Tin Cup " Tracy, a mini tour player Monday qualifying for the Web.com tour this week in Potomac Maryland.His only swing thought for long and short game is "hold your finish" and it is working great for him. Amazing ball striker and talent who is the poster child for the big break ! LOl.
Regards,
Ray