2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Driver Swing - needs work for distance!

Bingo1976

Happy to receive all comments (be nice). Driving distance is about 240-250yards carry currently - would love to get that up to 270ish.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you really need to really work on your lag first

http://powerlagpro.com/golf_lesson_PowerLag_FlatWrist.html

and then get on the Rowing Machine 3 or 4 times a day in 10 minute bursts, you
do need some upper body strength to hit the ball 275 to 300

http://concept2.co.uk/rower/air_resistance

eventually after a couple of months you work up to a 10 on the resistance of the air rower, then
you can swing the club effortlessly, no need to hit the ball the anymore

then look at this move for accuracy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8nXn34yUU

then this ( really bad voiceover but you get the idea ) - my favourite from 5 years ago, left arm
close to chest at impact, it really works, and my h'cap went down to 2 when working on this for
days on end when I first saw it in March 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA1R2IhOToY

when you win your first tour event, give me a call :-)

Titleist Woods with FineOne T3 bamboo shafts

Adams DHY Pro Hybrids with KBS Tour V 90g steel shafts D2 

Titliest AP2 irons with Recoil Prototype F5 125g graphite shafts D2

Vokey Wedges with Wedge Flex shafts ( stock shafts ) D3 and D4 

RIFE Antigua (Face Balanced) KBS shaft and Kotahi grip

it's very cheesy - but you get the idea

http://powerlagpro.com/flat-wrist-golf-impact.html

Thanks - I'd been working on feeling like i'm hitting a punch on my irons with my coach, but he told me not to on the driver (think it's more a question of feel.

I'm already on a fitness regime so hopefully upper body strength will come (I have a 10 hour a day desk job so the cores gone a bit soft of late!)

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Coy M' timestamp='1357090351' post='6150823']
Something I noticed is your right heel is off the ground before impact.
[/quote]

Good spot - I struggle with an early extension, and watching that back, it's a long way off the ground at impact. Oh well, back to the drawing board this year!

[quote name='prorobo' timestamp='1357713416' post='6195497']
What camera did you use for the high speed footage? Your swing is better than mine so I can't critique ha.
[/quote]

Samsung Galaxy Note II Smartphone - has a slow-mo setting which is pretty damn good, as well as a free Sat-Nav GPS programme. Kicks the iPoon into touch in my opinion!

This is what i see in your swing..

1.Your dropping the right shoulder on the downswing. With a one plane swing the right shoulder wont drop. More of a rotation move.
2. Your Hips are early extending. The move to feel is the right hip crunching inwards to your belt buckle.

About the heel on the ground, i think i wouldn't listen to this. You could roll into the instep more.. But really.. i wouldn't worry about it.

[quote name='rickbgolfer' timestamp='1357739155' post='6196159']

1.Your dropping the right shoulder on the downswing. With a one plane swing the right shoulder wont drop. More of a rotation move.
2. Your Hips are early extending. The move to feel is the right hip crunching inwards to your belt buckle.

About the heel on the ground, i think i wouldn't listen to this. You could roll into the instep more.. But really.. i wouldn't worry about it.
[/quote]

When your heel is coming off the ground early it means the person is releasing there lower body too fast. AKA the hips. The more he tries to keep the right heel down he won't be able to "early extend" his hips. So he should listen. Thanks.

[quote name='Coy M' timestamp='1357860122' post='6206277']
[quote name='rickbgolfer' timestamp='1357739155' post='6196159']

[/quote]

When your heel is coming off the ground early it means the person is releasing there lower body too fast. AKA the hips. The more he tries to keep the right heel down he won't be able to "early extend" his hips. So he should listen. Thanks.
[/quote]

Irregardless of OP's swing, I think your strict definition of early extension going by the right heel is a bit flawed.

http://youtu.be/ZyntFh1h1C4

I have an early extension due to my appaling hip flexibility (I also do Muay Thai, and I struggle with getting the kicks above waist height). I am not convinced that raising my heel is an issue though - plenty of pros do, although I think I should be rolling onto my instep more than raising up onto my toes.

I'll try and get an iron swing up over the weekend for comparison.

Thanks for all the comments though.

OK, so my caddie let me down a bit with her positioning, but this is a 19* hybrid swing for comparison. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNt8HXK3acQ&feature=youtube_gdata"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNt8HXK3acQ&feature=youtube_gdata[/url]

OK, slow mo Front on view now published: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P_6MRck3HE&feature=youtube_gdata"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P_6MRck3HE&feature=youtube_gdata[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Tom is right about the hips ( I should know as my discs suffered and 2 operations later swinging like you ) , suggest you read this book and start working on your core strength for 30 mins a day.

Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing by Joey Diovisalvi

[quote name='kschneid' timestamp='1358985165' post='6285301']
Do not worry about your right heel coming off the ground before impact. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Quick hips are powerfull and I am very surprised you only hit your drives 250. I am curious to know what your miss is.
[/quote]

Interesting point about my hips - I used Hip-X Golf app and my hip speed, tempo and angle are all within their 'Pro Zone'. Eg hip rotation (deg/sec is about 550, tempo is at 1.0, and hip angle (ie maximum backswing turn) averaged out at about 50 degrees.

I struggle with an OTT move and don't have much lag, so misses are either flat pulls, push slices, and the occasional duck hook when I try and come form the inside.

250 driving distance is on sodden fairways, so is basically all carry, but I know I'm leaving a load of power in the tank. My year round conditions are 85-100F and humid.

This might sound like I'm being a smart a**, but have you tried swinging harder? Any idea on your swing speed now? What's your driver loft/flex?

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1358991571' post='6285925']
This might sound like I'm being a smart a**, but have you tried swinging harder? Any idea on your swing speed now? What's your driver loft/flex?
[/quote]

Funnily enough my coach told me to try hitting the ball harder! I'm using a Diamana White Board 72 Stiff flex with a 9.5 913D3 which is keeping me straighter and seems to have helped out distance wise a little. SS is between 95-100 - it's been a while since I used a trackman.

I think my issue was that I have been trying to swing hard, instead of hit hard. Swinging hard gets me rushing at the ball and makes my OTT worse. I have no issues with the irons or even 3 wood in terms of starting down in sequence, so it just seems like it's a driver thing. I can hit my 3 wood 230-240 because I have a slow transition - for some reason that dissappears with the driver. (3 wood is a R shafted non-tour RBZ 15 degree).

I know that when I do sync it up properly I am in the 270 carry range.

[quote name='DLiver' timestamp='1358998018' post='6286563']
[media]http://youtu.be/nN3RX1HGtYM[/media]

I've added 10+ mph in two weeks doing this.
[/quote]

Interesting. If I had 3 drivers of different weights, I'd try this.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

[quote name='YMark' timestamp='1359002601' post='6287059']Interesting. If I had 3 drivers of different weights, I'd try this.
[/quote]

It might be easier than you think. You can use an old driver and some lead tape for the heavy one. An old ladies' driver or 3 wood will usually work for the lighter club--that's what I used at first.

• 4 weeks later...

Just as an update - I have hit the gym quite hard - muay thai twice a week plus weights and protein/creatine drinks. I had the best driving round of my life on Saturday. Hitting 270-290 on soft fairways. My iron play was far from stellar, but I was hitting from places I have never seen in the 2 years I have been a member.

The other difference is that I loosened my grip a touch. In teh tropics, sweaty palms can be an issue, and I think I'd started hanging on way too tight, which in turn inhibited my release. Swinging easier with more muscle seems to do the trick!