What is so special about an 009 putter anyway?

gticlay

alot of people complain about the money b/c they dont enjoy special and handcrafted putters, or dont have the cash, and if they do have the cash they would rather buy new 1000 dollar drivers and 1000 dollar shafts

I guess you trump us all with your near $1000 driver, $1000 shaft, and $1500+ putter :)

-Kyle

No, he was stating that others would rather buy $1,000 drivers and $1,000 shafts, not that he had them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Design Aspects of the 009--can be vague to people who have not looked or know of the line of "Anser" shapes over the years.

Of Course an 009 is going to look like an Anser. Same with a Bett #1 or the maru 23 displayed. Or the Byron as well.

But Compare things as the Cavity,topline,sole,weight,material,neck,weight... they are completely different.

It is kind of like the argument among the ignorant who Thought the Titleist 681 Tiger was playing was an Mp-29 with a Titleist Stamp....when if you ever saw both blades.......they are nothing alike.

The 009- is basically THE best version of the Classic Scottsdale Anser. Weight Topline sole-cavity-neck everything about it is totally different from a stock plain jane newport.

This was basically in response to the Tour....... Taking the Anser/Newport shape to the next level. You can find Gamer tour 009's that are fairly plain and function. To wild finishes that are more like art. Basically it covers what a Lot of Cameron lovers and players want.

There are many interpretations of the basic shape..... Just break down the seperate parts and you will see how different they are.

Thanks, Geo! I tried to be more detailed in describing what you said in a succinct manner. Well put!

Yes, there are significant differences with the anser.

Who's here has compared the 009 to the Dale Head 11/X-11? Let's hear some specific differences other than material, finish, face milling, stampings.

What exactly do you want? Do you want me to tell you that my 009 head weighs exactly 353 grams and that a Dale Head weighs XXX grams? Do you need to know that the length of my 009 from head to toe is x inches, and the Dale Head is + or - a little bit? Or that my 009 has "dog ears" in the cavity and a Dale Head does or doesn't? Where are you going with this?

Listen, if YOU think the 009 is an exact replica of the Dale Head 11 / X-11, then great. I hope you have both to compare and contrast or admire if you wish.

Here's another question: what's the difference between the John Byron putter you posted and the Dale Head 11 / X-11...other than material, finish, face milling and stampings, of course?

C'mon man. If you don't like the 009 or any other Cameron putter, or think Scotty ripped off someone else's design, then please be honest with the rest of us and let the grudge be known. You're obviously a John Byron fan, and that's great because those are nice putters. But let's try to keep this civil and on topic for the rest of the group to enjoy.

Gticlay asked a question about the 009, not the Dale Head.

My questions about the basic underlying differences in the head shape of these models appears to have rubbed you the wrong way.

I have been nothing but civil, and my questions are relevant to the original post of what makes an 009 special (the answer to which involves a comparison to other putters).

The picture I posted above [/i]is a John Byron Dale Head 11 (the export version of which is named X11), on which a variety of finsihes and inserts and stampings were made.

I've been a Cameron fan and owner since my first Catalina purchase in 1996.

Yes, there are significant differences with the anser.

Who's here has compared the 009 to the Dale Head 11/X-11? Let's hear some specific differences other than material, finish, face milling, stampings.

What exactly do you want? Do you want me to tell you that my 009 head weighs exactly 353 grams and that a Dale Head weighs XXX grams? Do you need to know that the length of my 009 from head to toe is x inches, and the Dale Head is + or - a little bit? Or that my 009 has "dog ears" in the cavity and a Dale Head does or doesn't? Where are you going with this?

Listen, if YOU think the 009 is an exact replica of the Dale Head 11 / X-11, then great. I hope you have both to compare and contrast or admire if you wish.

Here's another question: what's the difference between the John Byron putter you posted and the Dale Head 11 / X-11...other than material, finish, face milling and stampings, of course?

C'mon man. If you don't like the 009 or any other Cameron putter, or think Scotty ripped off someone else's design, then please be honest with the rest of us and let the grudge be known. You're obviously a John Byron fan, and that's great because those are nice putters. But let's try to keep this civil and on topic for the rest of the group to enjoy.

Gticlay asked a question about the 009, not the Dale Head.

My questions about the basic underlying differences in the head shape of these models appears to have rubbed you the wrong way.

I have been nothing but civil, and my questions are relevant to the original post of what makes an 009 special (the answer to which involves a comparison to other putters).

The picture I posted above [/i]is a John Byron Dale Head 11 (the export version of which is named X11), on which a variety of finsihes and inserts and stampings were made.

I've been a Cameron fan and owner since my first Catalina purchase in 1996.

Why is a comparison necessary to any other putter, one similarly shaped or not? Heck, we could compare the 009 to the Odyssey 3-ball to show how special an 009 can be.

If we want to compare an 009 to other putters to determine how special it is, then let's have the 009 owners list the similarities and differences between an 009 and every other putter they've owned.

Why can't a putter or any other club stand on its own merit in terms of design, aesthetics, feel, performance, etc.? It's pretty simple really. Do I need to tell you why my car is special, or must I compare it to other cars?

This is very civil, I refuse to be anything but civil. This is a golf discussion board and IMO there's not room for bashing or personal attacks, but rather discussion. We don't have to agree, and we all have our opinions, respected or not.

It is special because people have placed special value in the item; it has high value because people are willing to pay high prices for them. A thing is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

It is that simple really. There is something about a 009 that attracts buyers that is lacking in Ansers, Byrons etc. What that thing is may vary from individual to individual. I can't put my finger on it.

I imagine it is probably similar to comparing a cake created by a master baker and the box cake I make.

Both have suger, flour eggs, etc. but there is something unique and special in the amounts and manner the master combines the ingredients, even if I can't quantify the difference I can recognize it is there. Others just can't taste the difference and wonder why anyone would pay so much for a cake that is basically the same as the boxed version.

Strip away the shaft bands, grip logos, and putter head insignias and I guarantee that a lot of you would use putters priced $100 or less.

Stop buying the name.

All Been said before. It is funny how some golfers wont think twice about buying 4 $300.00 drivers in a year-- But a $500.00 Putter ?!?!?!?!?!?!? No way!

There are 2 dollar hammers out there---but a carpenter doesn't use one.

To me putting is about feel and confidence. I personally think that Camerons are the finest works of art made today. You may disagree, that is fine, there are numerous putter makers to choose from.

As for the Cameron haters/bashers, have you ever had a Cameron in your hand? How can you make a comment or make an opinion on something you have never tried?

If you have tried them and do not like the feel, that is fine. Why bash or hate?

Strip away the shaft bands, grip logos, and putter head insignias and I guarantee that a lot of you would use putters priced $100 or less.

Stop buying the name.

All Been said before. It is funny how some golfers wont think twice about buying 4 $300.00 drivers in a year-- But a $500.00 Putter ?!?!?!?!?!?!? No way!

There are 2 dollar hammers out there---but a carpenter doesn't use one.

Funny enough, but i seem to agree with both of these comments in equal amounts :)

I borrowed a Cameron for one month, and when I got over the initial "its a cameron" I closed my eyes to the look, and found it didn't really feel that special. Believe me, this is only my simple opinion, and not very educated on Camerons opinion.

Note: I'm not a moderator, but I think this thread has gotten off topic, just like every other Scotty Cameron thread.

Guys, please remember we are talking about the 009 in this thread, not all Cameron putters in general. The question was asked, "So WTF is special about an 009 putter anyway?", specifically asking about the 009.

If you don't like that $280 Studio Stainless Newport or Circa 62 that you bought last year, please post those feelings elsewhere. We're trying to help the thread originator get his question answered, not bash a putter maker for a design other than the one in question.

So, if you have an 009 and liked it / didn't like it, let's hear it. My guess is that at least 1/2 of the posters in this thread have never seen in person or putted with an 009 and are simply speculating based on experience with other putters.

While I agree that my view is a little off topic, I think it has as much relevance to the subject as the 2nd post on this thread.

I assume that i have misinterpreted the original question and therefore will not post again on this thread, I will just add that I have read this carefully and can't see a explanation for the 009 putter, apart from the normal reason for wishing to own Cameron putters.

Note: I'm not a moderator, but I think this thread has gotten off topic, just like every other Scotty Cameron thread.

Guys, please remember we are talking about the 009 in this thread, not all Cameron putters in general. The question was asked, "So WTF is special about an 009 putter anyway?", specifically asking about the 009.

If you don't like that $280 Studio Stainless Newport or Circa 62 that you bought last year, please post those feelings elsewhere. We're trying to help the thread originator get his question answered, not bash a putter maker for a design other than the one in question.

So, if you have an 009 and liked it / didn't like it, let's hear it. My guess is that at least 1/2 of the posters in this thread have never seen in person or putted with an 009 and are simply speculating based on experience with other putters.

Excellent point. This thread has wandered away from the original topic. That said, I think it's time to change up the title of the thread a little. A loaded question like "WTF is so special about..." tends to invite the negative comments. :)

My take on the whole 009 issue is that it is by far my favorite Cameron to date. Great topline (which is relatively thick--btw :cheesy:), soft lines, mostly unique-ish stampings on each one (some far to gaudy for my simple tastes), and a great copy of the Scottsdale Ansers--best to date in my opinion...outside of Ping of course. If Cameron weren't such a dink towards lefties, and if I had an extra 2G of discretionary funds under the mattress. I would definitely pick one up. That said, I don't like the what I've read about Scotty thinking that the 009 is the putter that Karsten wanted to make but couldn't. :cheesy:

:hi:

This is taken from cameroncollector.com forums.

These are the differences the 009 has over a Newport:

- wider body front to back

- thicker topline

- flatter topline

- deeper cavity

- rounded/softer edges

- bigger bumpers

- hybrid Newport/Newport II sole

- large number of finishes available (Black Pearl, Brushed Black Pearl, Black Pearl Mist, Pro Platinum, Oil Can, 3x Oil Can, Brushed Oil Can, 3x Black and Black Oxide)

- neck variations (standard Newport plumbers neck, long Newport plumbers neck, standard Santa Fe neck, long Santa Fe neck and center Santa Fe neck)

I'm with others that I just love the look. Will I ever get one? Probably not, but I'll never say never. There are no putters with the look you get with a 009, just as Bettinardi has putters that are unique, etc, etc...

I hope that I can add some input to this topic as I am currently waitin on my first 009, it is on its way from Japan right now as we speak (a007392). I did pay a premium for it, but it is one of a kind. Though the look may be able to be duplicated by other companies, the combination of look and feel that this putter offers is one of a kind. did I pay too much for the putter? probably, but that is what they cost and I did want one so I really did not have a choice in order to own one. it is like saying that you paid too much for your BMW when you paid exactly what the asking price is.

While I agree that my view is a little off topic, I think it has as much relevance to the subject as the 2nd post on this thread.

I assume that i have misinterpreted the original question and therefore will not post again on this thread, I will just add that I have read this carefully and can't see a explanation for the 009 putter, apart from the normal reason for wishing to own Cameron putters.

I spent about $17,000 on putters in 2006. That included alot of Camerons, and one thing that seperates Camerons and especially the 009 is that they hold their value better then any other putter maker. As a collector that is something that is important to me. If I am going to make that investment (paying $2000 min for a putter) I want to know its not going to be like my new car that loses its value as soon as I drive it out of the dealer. With a 009 you have that reassurance. Even if I buy one, use it and sell it the 009 will hold its value. There are lots of great putters out there, and I have used and loved alot of them, but in my experience NOTHING holds its value better then a rare Scotty Cameron. Someone compared a Ferarri and a Corvette earlier in this post, the Ferarri will either increase in value over the years or depreciate very little, the Corvette will decrease in value the second it leaves the showroom floor. Same with high end Scotty Cameron putter like the 009. If I buy an 009 and use it, I can resell it for the same price, if not more later, if I hold on to it for a while, I can probably sell it for more then I bought it for. On the flip side if buy a Never Compromise putter I can only resell it for a fraction of what it cost me.

For example, several years ago back when I was working in a local proshop making no money I bought my first two "expensive" putters, which expensive at the time for me was $145 Never Compromise TDP and $235 Scotty Cameron Newport Beach Studio Stainless. Both are great putters, great look, great feel, great performance. I sold the Never Compromise the next year on eBay, all I got was $45. I sold the Newport Beach last year 2006 for $215. I used the putter for 8 years and lost only $20, where as the Never Compromise I lost $100 in 1 year.

So as a collector who is a fan of many putters, I will always buy a putter that is going to retain its value. I only buy putters that I like the look and feel of, I have Pings, Bettinardi's, and I am a HUGE fan of Gauge Putters, but Japan and the David Whitlam stuff, but when it comes to the High price tag stuff like the 009's I own I buy them because I love the look, the feel and I know when I spend $2,000 or more on the putter if I have to resell it for any reason if I lose any money on the transaction it will not be more then $100, the same amount I lost on that $145 Never Compromise.

So I can Say as someone who owns an 009 that it is worth every penny. I can buy a $2,300 putter and use it then sell it for $2,200 (as long as i take care of it) or buy an Odyssey for $150-$200 and resell it for $50 after its used and out of date (as long as it isnt too beat up) either case I lose the same amount of money. Bottom line any rare Scotty Cameron Putter will generally hold their value, an 009 is worth the investment IMO.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/TOUR AD VF-6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK w/Private Reserve Steelfiber 110
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

I now have an Oil Can 009 Beach (350g).

As much as anything, the headweight and sound slot in the flange (as opposed to the face) were important to me. That's difficult to obtain without looking into the 009 series.

All that said... golf equipment is a "to each his own" environment. If you have the desire and the ability to collect high-end equipment (drivers, putters, wedges seem to be the most prevalent), then more power to you.

It's the choice & responsibility of the individual -- unless, of course, you're using food stamps to pay for Cameron & Co. putters. In which case, quit wasting my tax dollars on your putter habit, you freak!! (ha)

I see both sides of this.

The idea the "the pro use it" is kind of hit or miss when it relates to Joe Hacker. I do agree that the tour putter use softer/better metals and the SC Studio fits a tour player with thier exact specifications.

If you pick up a tour played putter off ebay, I think it is cool to have as a collectors piece....but it's a crap shoot as to it being fitted your putting style.

I say all fo this with a Free driver and 3-wood in the bag....a set of Irons I have had for 14 years and some 5 year old wedges.....But the Nike putter is new. $130 bucks. If you like a 2-ball putter, give the 130 a try, it's softer and the ball doens't explode off the face on the 6 foot in putts.

As an 009 owner, I'll give it a shot:

1. I'll partially disagree with Gxgolfer on the "thin topline" assessment. In fact, a 350 gram head 009 will have a very thick top line, which IMO, frames the ball nicely at address. The 330 gram heads have a slightly thinner topline, but still not as thin as many other Newport style heads.

2. The sole is a version of the Newport 2, so it sits nice and square on the ground. If you've ever seen the sole of a Newport 2, it has what I would describe as 3 sections: a middle and two ends.

3. The 009 is made of carbon steel which is an extremely soft metal. So, while many people do not like the firm feel of the GSS or Pro Platinum finish, the 009 carbon steel will feel softer.

4. Finishes. Because it is a tour putter, you can get finishes that are not available in retail putters. They include brushed oil can (mine has this), 3x oil can, brushed black, 3x black, black pearl, chromatic blue, etc. Why does this matter? Well, because each finish looks different, and we all have our personal preference. After all, you're going to use your putter 30+ times per round in most cases, so you probably want to find something that looks good.

5. Options. Before the custom order program stopped a year ago, you could get just about any stamps, finish, etc. that your little heart desired. Now you have to buy what Scotty produces...for the most part.

6. The "Beach" slot. Mine is "beached" - a cut just behind the face of the putter which gives it a slightly higher pitched sound at impact. I prefer this over a non-beached 009.

7. Weight. 009s are either 330, 340 or 350 gram heads. You can choose the headweight you desire, which is something that can only been done with a few of the retail models like the Mil Spec, Studio Style Newport 2, and a few others. I prefer the heavier 350 gram head, so it works for me.

8. Misc. Every time this question comes up about a tour putter, whether Scotty, Bettinardi, or anyone else, I ask this question: "what's so special about a Ferrari?" I mean, a Chevy Corvette performs just as well at 1/4 the price, so why buy a Ferrari?

Thanks.

In addition,

Overall, the head at address has softer lines; and

Let's not forget the plumber's neck - observe the shaved sides of the neck to make it look more sleek, softer and rounded so that it blends in better with the head. A well executed job. It makes a difference in the look at address. Builds confidence. Makes the entire head look as if one artful piece.

Now if they just made it more rounded and sleeker at the outset, he wouldn't need to shave the edges. But it is a great way to make a putter look unified.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Stop buying the name.

Strip it all away, and I'd guarantee you that at least some of us would use putters priced $1000 or more. The pros, after all, can use pretty much any putter they want ... in some cases, a contract requires them to use a brand - but they still have the putter made for them, and the brand stamped on afterwards.

But in a lot of cases (including Tiger's), even players with large endorsement contracts make exclude the putter. If you don't think the pros couldn tell the difference between a $100 putter and a $1000+ putter, you're wrong. There is a difference. Presumably, its not much of a stretch to accept that single-digit amateurs that have been playing for awhile can also tell the difference. Trying to say branding bells and whistles are the only source of value is ridiculous.

I've played Scotty's for years. I don't buy putters because of a "name" ... I buy putters to get the ball in the hole. My gamer is a retail Studio Design 1.5 (which I love) - but I have had a chance to play 18 with an 009 - and found it almost heavenly.

Here's the problem with putter discussions however - while a lot of characteristics can be talked about (and the fellow with the 009 did a very good job in this thread) ... a great deal of what happens in putting simply can't be articulated at all.

The putt may be one of the most delicate, nuanced shots in sport (any sport). The combination of reading the breaks in the green, trying to feel speed (and the speed/line trade-off), the stroke itself - during which the most minor of alterations, the smallest tightness in a single muscle, the stray thought that enters the mind at the wrong time, can produce the difference between sinking a ten footer and rolling it a half foot wide and 4 feet past (and this is true even for the pros).

And this means that in the putter itself the most apparently minor of differences - differences so small you can't even put them in words - become huge. 5 putter blades that look virtually identical can feel, and perform, radically different. What the 009 did for me was gave me this indescribable sense for speed. I have always been good at picking a line, and my gamer gives me a lot of confidence, but the balance, the materials, the shape ... with the 009, even from 20 or 30 feet the ball ended up quite close to the hole.

Anyway, not sayin' there aren't collectors out there that buy Scotty's for branding bells and whistles. Nor would I try to say that everyone should buy expensive putters. There may be a lot of people that just don't care - for whom a $100 putter is perfectly fine. However, anyone trying to claim that there is not an actual big difference in quality, and potential performance, between an Odyssey and a $250 (or $2500) Scotty is just wrong.

Just to play the devils advocate here. I don't think the tightest quality control in the world, the finest milled face, and the best balanced putter ever designed is going to make a huge difference when you're rolling a ball over a textured surface with hundreds of foot impressions in your path.

I like Camerons and have owned several, but lets remember that no matter how good the putter, your golf ball is rolling over a very imperfect surface. Luck is probably far more important than how flat the face is on your putter.

These are the differences the 009 has over a Newport:

- wider body front to back

- thicker topline

- flatter topline

- deeper cavity

- rounded/softer edges

- bigger bumpers

- hybrid Newport/Newport II sole

- large number of finishes available (Black Pearl, Brushed Black Pearl, Black Pearl Mist, Pro Platinum, Oil Can, 3x Oil Can, Brushed Oil Can, 3x Black and Black Oxide)

- neck variations (standard Newport plumbers neck, long Newport plumbers neck, standard Santa Fe neck, long Santa Fe neck and center Santa Fe neck)...

The cavity in the 009 is also wider than same in Newport/Newport 2.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Stop buying the name.

Strip it all away, and I'd guarantee you that at least some of us would use putters priced $1000 or more. The pros, after all, can use pretty much any putter they want ... in some cases, a contract requires them to use a brand - but they still have the putter made for them, and the brand stamped on afterwards.

But in a lot of cases (including Tiger's), even players with large endorsement contracts make exclude the putter. If you don't think the pros couldn tell the difference between a $100 putter and a $1000+ putter, you're wrong. There is a difference. Presumably, its not much of a stretch to accept that single-digit amateurs that have been playing for awhile can also tell the difference. Trying to say branding bells and whistles are the only source of value is ridiculous.

I've played Scotty's for years. I don't buy putters because of a "name" ... I buy putters to get the ball in the hole. My gamer is a retail Studio Design 1.5 (which I love) - but I have had a chance to play 18 with an 009 - and found it almost heavenly.

Here's the problem with putter discussions however - while a lot of characteristics can be talked about (and the fellow with the 009 did a very good job in this thread) ... a great deal of what happens in putting simply can't be articulated at all.

The putt may be one of the most delicate, nuanced shots in sport (any sport). The combination of reading the breaks in the green, trying to feel speed (and the speed/line trade-off), the stroke itself - during which the most minor of alterations, the smallest tightness in a single muscle, the stray thought that enters the mind at the wrong time, can produce the difference between sinking a ten footer and rolling it a half foot wide and 4 feet past (and this is true even for the pros).

And this means that in the putter itself the most apparently minor of differences - differences so small you can't even put them in words - become huge. 5 putter blades that look virtually identical can feel, and perform, radically different. What the 009 did for me was gave me this indescribable sense for speed. I have always been good at picking a line, and my gamer gives me a lot of confidence, but the balance, the materials, the shape ... with the 009, even from 20 or 30 feet the ball ended up quite close to the hole.

Anyway, not sayin' there aren't collectors out there that buy Scotty's for branding bells and whistles. Nor would I try to say that everyone should buy expensive putters. There may be a lot of people that just don't care - for whom a $100 putter is perfectly fine. However, anyone trying to claim that there is not an actual big difference in quality, and potential performance, between an Odyssey and a $250 (or $2500) Scotty is just wrong.

Just to play the devils advocate here. I don't think the tightest quality control in the world, the finest milled face, and the best balanced putter ever designed is going to make a huge difference when you're rolling a ball over a textured surface with hundreds of foot impressions in your path.

I like Camerons and have owned several, but lets remember that no matter how good the putter, your golf ball is rolling over a very imperfect surface. Luck is probably far more important than how flat the face is on your putter.

Really? Yes, a putting green is not a perfect surface like a sheet of glass or something, but with golf course equipment and turf science advancements over the last several decades, a nice course will have very good greens. Anyone that's watched The Masters can see just how good the greens can be manicured.

If luck is such a big factor, then why not use a $10 Dunlop putter from Wal Mart and close your eyes before stroking the putt? Quite honestly I've rarely seen a putt that was tracking to the hole veer significantly offline because of these alleged foot impressions. On a decent green, if you put a good stroke on it with the proper speed and line, the ball will go in the hole regardless of the putter used. It's not about luck in most cases.

Before reading this thread I too don't know what's so special about a "009" but after reading this I come to like "009" even more. :)

You may never want to use it on course most of the time because you're afraid of it being dented or scratch and you would instead love to look at it hanging on the wall and just enjoy looking at it , that for me makes it "special"

regardless of how well you knew technically about the "009s" difference with other putter but just knowing the one of the premier putter craftsman regard it as his work of art, I will definitely believe him 101% because surely he knew better and he sees in a putter what we ordinary people may not see.

just my opinion

Stop buying the name.

Really? Yes, a putting green is not a perfect surface like a sheet of glass or something, but with golf course equipment and turf science advancements over the last several decades, a nice course will have very good greens. Anyone that's watched The Masters can see just how good the greens can be manicured.

If luck is such a big factor, then why not use a $10 Dunlop putter from Wal Mart and close your eyes before stroking the putt? Quite honestly I've rarely seen a putt that was tracking to the hole veer significantly offline because of these alleged foot impressions. On a decent green, if you put a good stroke on it with the proper speed and line, the ball will go in the hole regardless of the putter used. It's not about luck in most cases.

So much for the civil discussion. I thought this forum was a bit more mature than this.

Adios