2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What is so special about an 009 putter anyway?

gticlay

I was grumpy yesterday and this title is better :)
I've seen pics of them and they just look like a CNC version of an old Anser? There's a lot that are 330g so couldn't you just pick up an Anser for $25 or less and it'd be about the same only 'the real thing'? Anyway, if someone could explain it!
Clay

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if your not into Scotty Cameron putter you wouldnt understand..... :) and if you are, you'll know why 009's are special. I think this goes to all cameron stuffs, some people loves them some people dont.

While I love to hate Camerons, I've played only Camerons for the past three years... so I guess I like Camerons but love to hate them at the same time. You didn't actually say what's special about them... is it a tour only edition of the newport that's been programmed to look softer? That's what it looks like to me but I actually do want to know.

Thin topline, rounded bumpers, very limited availability. There are probably more differences, very subtle between the Ping and SC version but, the setup and look of the putter is very nice.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

It's done very well - except the face looks like a high school shop job. There MUST be a better way to do faces!?!?!

your joking right? name another putter that less than 500 produced and they will prob never be an OTR model of it you can buy in a store, it is a tour limited model only, alot of people complain about the money b/c they dont enjoy special and handcrafted putters, or dont have the cash, and if they do have the cash they would rather buy new 1000 dollar drivers and 1000 dollar shafts, when you only hit a driver 14 times a round max, I love camerons b/c they are a handcrafted works of art, 009's are like Rolex's and Ferrari's they are each custom handmade by the top putter maker there is today IMHO

it isnt a perfect world, some people would die for a cameron and some wouldnt buy a 009 for 25 bucks........

As an 009 owner, I'll give it a shot:

1. I'll partially disagree with Gxgolfer on the "thin topline" assessment. In fact, a 350 gram head 009 will have a very thick top line, which IMO, frames the ball nicely at address. The 330 gram heads have a slightly thinner topline, but still not as thin as many other Newport style heads.

2. The sole is a version of the Newport 2, so it sits nice and square on the ground. If you've ever seen the sole of a Newport 2, it has what I would describe as 3 sections: a middle and two ends.

3. The 009 is made of carbon steel which is an extremely soft metal. So, while many people do not like the firm feel of the GSS or Pro Platinum finish, the 009 carbon steel will feel softer.

4. Finishes. Because it is a tour putter, you can get finishes that are not available in retail putters. They include brushed oil can (mine has this), 3x oil can, brushed black, 3x black, black pearl, chromatic blue, etc. Why does this matter? Well, because each finish looks different, and we all have our personal preference. After all, you're going to use your putter 30+ times per round in most cases, so you probably want to find something that looks good.

5. Options. Before the custom order program stopped a year ago, you could get just about any stamps, finish, etc. that your little heart desired. Now you have to buy what Scotty produces...for the most part.

6. The "Beach" slot. Mine is "beached" - a cut just behind the face of the putter which gives it a slightly higher pitched sound at impact. I prefer this over a non-beached 009.

7. Weight. 009s are either 330, 340 or 350 gram heads. You can choose the headweight you desire, which is something that can only been done with a few of the retail models like the Mil Spec, Studio Style Newport 2, and a few others. I prefer the heavier 350 gram head, so it works for me.

8. Misc. Every time this question comes up about a tour putter, whether Scotty, Bettinardi, or anyone else, I ask this question: "what's so special about a Ferrari?" I mean, a Chevy Corvette performs just as well at 1/4 the price, so why buy a Ferrari?

Thanks.

1. I'll partially disagree with Gxgolfer on the "thin topline" assessment. In fact, a 350 gram head 009 will have a very thick top line, which IMO, frames the ball nicely at address. The 330 gram heads have a slightly thinner topline, but still not as thin as many other Newport style heads.

2. The sole is a version of the Newport 2, so it sits nice and square on the ground. If you've ever seen the sole of a Newport 2, it has what I would describe as 3 sections: a middle and two ends.

3. The 009 is made of carbon steel which is an extremely soft metal. So, while many people do not like the firm feel of the GSS or Pro Platinum finish, the 009 carbon steel will feel softer.

4. Finishes. Because it is a tour putter, you can get finishes that are not available in retail putters. They include brushed oil can (mine has this), 3x oil can, brushed black, 3x black, black pearl, chromatic blue, etc. Why does this matter? Well, because each finish looks different, and we all have our personal preference. After all, you're going to use your putter 30+ times per round in most cases, so you probably want to find something that looks good.

5. Options. Before the custom order program stopped a year ago, you could get just about any stamps, finish, etc. that your little heart desired. Now you have to buy what Scotty produces...for the most part.

6. The "Beach" slot. Mine is "beached" - a cut just behind the face of the putter which gives it a slightly higher pitched sound at impact. I prefer this over a non-beached 009.

7. Weight. 009s are either 330, 340 or 350 gram heads. You can choose the headweight you desire, which is something that can only been done with a few of the retail models like the Mil Spec, Studio Style Newport 2, and a few others. I prefer the heavier 350 gram head, so it works for me.

8. Misc. Every time this question comes up about a tour putter, whether Scotty, Bettinardi, or anyone else, I ask this question: "what's so special about a Ferrari?" I mean, a Chevy Corvette performs just as well at 1/4 the price, so why buy a Ferrari?

Thanks.

VERY good response. I like it. The Corvette comparison is not a good one since it does NOT perform just as well in any case (I used to be a track junkie, see the gticlay name...).

I understand that they are tour and rare but I wasn't sure exactly what was sooooo special about them. I think it's just that they are tour and rare.

(in reference to the picture of the John Byron putter)

And....

What does that have to do with an 009? If I showed you a picture of the original Anser, it would be the same.

If you're trying to say that Scotty copied the Anser and that the Byron putter is the same as the 009, then you are sadly mistaken. That discussion has been had time and time again to no avail.

Each putter maker is an artist with slight deviations from the original Anser design. It's how the artistry is applied that makes the biggest difference.

It's done very well - except the face looks like a high school shop job. There MUST be a better way to do faces!?!?!

You are quite right. In most industries, prominent mill marks and wonky lettering are signs of an unskilled tradesman.

Yet for some peculiar reason they are coveted by putter fiends.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Thanks.

VERY good response. I like it. The Corvette comparison is not a good one since it does NOT perform just as well in any case (I used to be a track junkie, see the gticlay name...).

I understand that they are tour and rare but I wasn't sure exactly what was sooooo special about them. I think it's just that they are tour and rare.

OK, maybe a slightly bad comparison on the Corvette / Ferrari, but you get the idea.

Notice that in the 8 items I gave as to why I prefer the 009, never once did I mention anything about it being "tour" or "rare" as a factor in what makes it special. Those are "feel good" things that make people think something is better than it may really be. I stated facts and opinions on the design, custom options, etc. relating to the putter itself, not how someone else might view me when they see my 009. Truth be told, most people I play golf with don't know what the heck it is, and don't even ask, so it's really not an issue of rarity or exclusivity. It's all about what looks and feels good when I'm putting.

Nice putter, Jimmy. RJB makes a sweet tour putter, and that Maru 23 is a great example. Special honeycomb milling on the face with a copper inlay, a finish that appears to be a black nickel or something similar, overall just a great piece of art. You could game it or collect it, either way it's a thing of beauty.

My personal preference is to game a nice tour putter. After all, why would I want to buy something this nice and have it hang on a wall or sit in the closet?

009 putters are hard to explain to someone who isn't a huge fan or collector. Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on one, but I'm a huge fan and have a modest collection.

Tour and 009 sticks offer a lot more confidence to the user and if that's what it takes to go out there and drain a 25 footer, then the stick is worth the price. Some people can grab a stick off the rack at Wal-Mart and never know or care about the difference. The feel, sound, and trust in/of an expertly made putter will help a person's confidence in their abilities and equipment, and that's half the battle :) :cheesy:

If you're trying to say that . . . the Byron putter is the same as the 009, then you are sadly mistaken. That discussion has been had time and time again to no avail.

Other than finish choices, stampings, speed of face mill and material choices, perhaps you care to elaborate on the difference between the 009 and the Dale Head 11/X-11? :)

Where has this discussion been had?

Design Aspects of the 009--can be vague to people who have not looked or know of the line of "Anser" shapes over the years.

Of Course an 009 is going to look like an Anser. Same with a Bett #1 or the maru 23 displayed. Or the Byron as well.

But Compare things as the Cavity,topline,sole,weight,material,neck,weight... they are completely different.

It is kind of like the argument among the ignorant who Thought the Titleist 681 Tiger was playing was an Mp-29 with a Titleist Stamp....when if you ever saw both blades.......they are nothing alike.

The 009- is basically THE best version of the Classic Scottsdale Anser. Weight Topline sole-cavity-neck everything about it is totally different from a stock plain jane newport.

This was basically in response to the Tour....... Taking the Anser/Newport shape to the next level. You can find Gamer tour 009's that are fairly plain and function. To wild finishes that are more like art. Basically it covers what a Lot of Cameron lovers and players want.

There are many interpretations of the basic shape..... Just break down the seperate parts and you will see how different they are.

I love camerons b/c they are a handcrafted works of art, 009's are like Rolex's and Ferrari's they are each custom handmade by the top putter maker there is today IMHO

it isnt a perfect world, some people would die for a cameron and some wouldnt buy a 009 for 25 bucks........

An 009 is not a handmade, it is CNC milled and hand finished. That makes it handcrafted.

If it was handmade it would be stamped Scott Cameron.

If you're trying to say that . . . the Byron putter is the same as the 009, then you are sadly mistaken. That discussion has been had time and time again to no avail.

Other than finish choices, stampings, speed of face mill and material choices, perhaps you care to elaborate on the difference between the 009 and the Dale Head 11/X-11? :)

You just elaborated on the differences for me, thanks! Outside of the design shape itself, what else is there besides "finish choices, stampings, speed of face mill and material choices"? We all agree that the Anser, Newport, Slighter Portland, the Byron you posted, etc. have VERY SIMILAR head designs. But, it's the detail that separates these putters, and you did a great job of laying out the detail differences. Well done! :cheesy:

Here are a few of the tour vs. retail discussions that include reference to 009s and other models:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=12334&hl=

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=41986&hl=

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=27813&hl=

The last one is probably the best since it got heated enough to be closed by the moderators. Anyway, those were before you became a member, but this discussion comes up every few months and it's the same crap over and over.

There are two sides every time: those who like and believe in tour putters including the 009, and those who don't. Somehow a simple question by someone gets turned into a tour vs. retail, Scotty vs. the world discussion EVERY TIME! People can't help themselves, they just do it. Instead of addressing the question(s) at hand, they try to bash Scotty or RJB or Slighter.

Anyway, enjoy the reading and whatever putter it is that helps you get the ball in the hole in the fewest number of putts!

Yes, there are significant differences with the anser.

Who's here has compared the 009 to the Dale Head 11/X-11? Let's hear some specific differences other than material, finish, face milling, stampings.

What exactly do you want? Do you want me to tell you that my 009 head weighs exactly 353 grams and that a Dale Head weighs XXX grams? Do you need to know that the length of my 009 from head to toe is x inches, and the Dale Head is + or - a little bit? Or that my 009 has "dog ears" in the cavity and a Dale Head does or doesn't? Where are you going with this?

Listen, if YOU think the 009 is an exact replica of the Dale Head 11 / X-11, then great. I hope you have both to compare and contrast or admire if you wish.

Here's another question: what's the difference between the John Byron putter you posted and the Dale Head 11 / X-11...other than material, finish, face milling and stampings, of course?

C'mon man. If you don't like the 009 or any other Cameron putter, or think Scotty ripped off someone else's design, then please be honest with the rest of us and let the grudge be known. You're obviously a John Byron fan, and that's great because those are nice putters. But let's try to keep this civil and on topic for the rest of the group to enjoy.

Gticlay asked a question about the 009, not the Dale Head.

You just elaborated on the differences for me, thanks! Outside of the design shape itself, what else is there besides "finish choices, stampings, speed of face mill and material choices"? We all agree that the Anser, Newport, Slighter Portland, the Byron you posted, etc. have VERY SIMILAR head designs. But, it's the detail that separates these putters, and you did a great job of laying out the detail differences. Well done! :cheesy:

Here are a few of the tour vs. retail discussions that include reference to 009s and other models:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=12334&hl=

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=41986&hl=

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=27813&hl=

The last one is probably the best since it got heated enough to be closed by the moderators. Anyway, those were before you became a member, but this discussion comes up every few months and it's the same crap over and over.

There are two sides every time: those who like and believe in tour putters including the 009, and those who don't. Somehow a simple question by someone gets turned into a tour vs. retail, Scotty vs. the world discussion EVERY TIME! People can't help themselves, they just do it. Instead of addressing the question(s) at hand, they try to bash Scotty or RJB or Slighter.

Anyway, enjoy the reading and whatever putter it is that helps you get the ball in the hole in the fewest number of putts!

Thanks, I'll read those links.

I want to be clear that I like the 009 style head. I'm not bashing SC at all. I hope that wasn't directed at me. I really really like the finishes, milling and stampings Cameron does on the 009.

The only point I am making is that the 009 and the Dale Head 11/X-11 are MORE than VERY similar. That is a fact my friend. I would sincerely love to hear the differences.

I would love a beached BBC 009 / Dale Head 11 style putter.

alot of people complain about the money b/c they dont enjoy special and handcrafted putters, or dont have the cash, and if they do have the cash they would rather buy new 1000 dollar drivers and 1000 dollar shafts

I guess you trump us all with your near $1000 driver, $1000 shaft, and $1500+ putter :)

-Kyle