2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Why Do You Buy JDM?

My intro to Japanese clubs was a fairly simple one. I went to a golf shop to hit some MP-59s, and they had some Miuras lined up as well. I had never even heard of Miura or any other Japanese brand except Fourteen prior to this fitting. I thought they were nice looking but the feel of them sold me immediately. The looks of them were fabulous as well. Before I knew it, I had a set of them ordered, and I was all over the web looking into Japanese clubs.

Perhaps the biggest thing that draws me to JDM though is that they offer far more options in forged irons with minimal offset and now milled club faces. Also forged drivers with smaller-than-they-measure appearances, open faces, precise lofts, higher CG. They also tend to incorporate GI technology into more playeresque type irons than most USDMs. I love that a mid capper such as myself can get a set of great looking S20C forged cavity backs with minimal offset, smaller head size, yet also offer tungsten sole weighting to assist in forgiveness. (OnOff forged). The AP2 does something similar, but isn't as attractive and simple. The Rocketbladez bring some great technology to the table, yet they can't compete in the looks or feel department imo. I hope they release them in a forged, more subtle JDM version.

Another thing is that JDM seems to be way ahead of USDM in offering choices in clubs with more traditional, higher CG placement. It seems the USDM stuff all has the CG as low and far back as possible...which is great if you're a 60 year old trying to get the ball in the air. I'm a strong 31 year old who needs the ball flight brought down. I thought I was driving the ball well until I hit a couple of low spin, higher CG JDM drivers. The difference in distance and rollout was quite impressive. I also love looking at a driver head that doesn't look as big as a football. JDM seems to compress a 460cc driver into the footprint of a 400cc driver. For whatever reason I find the sweetspot more often on the compact clubs. Forged drivers feel incredible. JDM 3 woods seem immeasurably easier to hit off the fairway than the teebox oriented fairways all the USDM companies are pushing. Hence why TM V-Steels are still so popular.

In the shaft arena, it is no secret that Japanese carbon dominates the PGA tour. Hitting a club with a high modulus carbon shaft is an incredible feeling. It feels like every iota of energy is being transferred to the ball, with a tingly, glassy feel that transmits into the fingers and hands. Hard to describe. I also fight the left side, and the high modulus stuff has been a godsend for taking my hook and overcooked draw out of play.

In my humble opinion, JDM offers a higher level of craftsmanship, precision, and especially beauty. I like subtle, classy looking things. Cars, clubs, clothes, whatever. The aesthetics appealed to me immediately because so much USDM stuff is just gaudy and cheap-looking to me. (Cobra, TM, etc) Obviously there is some good looking USDM equipment but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. The Japanese tend towards a more traditional looking, subdued style that appeals to me.

No one else I know locally has any JDM clubs or even knows what mine are. I let them think they are knockoffs or no name clubs, that's fine with me. I really enjoy discussing the different equipment on the boards and hearing other people's experiences/feedback on things I would like to try. I have met some really cool people through TSG and WRX from discussions and trading equipment back and forth. Even got a new golf partner out of the deal who shares the same taste in clubs as I do. It kind of feels like a club of nut cases, but that's like any forum of enthusiasts.

That's my long, drawn out story of JDM entanglement. What's yours?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't play JDM right now but I've had two sets of Miura irons as well as a couple of royal collection 3 woods, and I might get a set of miuras for my next set of irons.

The reasoning was pretty much the same as any other clubs I've owned, I hit them, I liked the look and the feel, so I bought them. Pretty much as simple as that.

Because its the best. Higher quality, tighter quality tolorances and better design. Its kind of funny how certain companies here in the U.S. try to tell us that cast is just as good as forged, yet in Japan they all offer forged offerings. Its interesting how Bob Vokey says that he doesnt make forged wedges because in wedges it doesnt matter, yet in Japan he sells forged wedges.

Lots of them floating around my home course, and also some Korean clubs though not as often seen. I picked up a couple of Japanese sets mostly because I was curious and also because the opportunity to buy cheap came and I jumped on it. I'm still looking for a chance to pick up some Korean clubs. They all work, American and Japanese, and I assume the Korean will work well too as the ones I have seen playing them were playing well.

Shambles

They passed my 3 criteria for club purchasing:

1) They produced the best numbers for me.
2) They looked the best.
3) They felt the best.

What else could you ask for? :)

Cleveland Classic 290 9* Tour AD-DI 6s
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* Tour AD-DI 7s
Adams Idea Pro 18* Aerotech Steelfiber
Mizuno MP-33 3-PW TTDG S300
Cleveland 588 Forged 56*, 64*
Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 40

OP went eloquently long, so I'll try to keep it short:

Feel
Balance
Quality of craftsmanship
Attention to detail

These hallmarks of JDM clubs make golf even more fun and make working on the game more rewarding.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Attention to detail.

I understandard that due to mass production, there has to be tolerances involved for many of the OEM's. I understand, I just don't have to like it. If I order a set at D1 across the board with specific lofts and lie angles, then that's what I expect. Yes, I could fix the lie angles after the fact, but no, I don't think I should have to any more then I expect to retouch a piece of a newly installed faucet or piece of software.

Quality, exclusivity, attention to detail, feel, look and the list goes on...

[size=2][b][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WITB #1[/font][/b]
[b][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway XR Driver - 11*, Fubuki Z 50[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge CB Pro 4 Wood - Fujikura Rombax 6Z08[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge EX9 Tour - 20*, Recoil 780 ES[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno JPX EZ Forged - 4i - GW, Fujikura MCI 80 Stiff[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Fourteen RM21 Black - 54/10 - 58/8, Dynamic Gold[/font][/b]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Bettinardi Signature Model 6[/b] [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Putter Rotation: [b]Bettinardi [/b]Signature Model 6 / Model 7 / BB 360, [b]Miura [/b]KM-006 / KM-350, [b]TP Mills [/b]Nellie Wings / Fleetwood, [b]Byron Morgan[/b] Dalehead 89 / 007 (Copper, sound slot) / Channel Island Plumber / Channel Island Rincon, [b]Odyssey [/b]Prototype 2 Ball Black / Odyssey Black Series Tour Design 2 Ball Blade[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WITB #2[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway XR Driver - 11*, Fubuki ZT 60[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge CB Pro 4 Wood - Fujikura Rombax 6Z08[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura Hybrids - HB3 / HB4, Aerotech Steelfiber[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura MC102 - 4i - GW, Nippon NS Pro[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura Black Wedges, 55/9 - 60/7, Nippon NS Pro WV[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura KM-006[/font][/size]

[quote name='NYCgolfer17' timestamp='1358183230' post='6225755']
Because they gave me the best numbers BY FAR as compared with the US choices.
[/quote]

Then you weren't properly fit the first time...I've owned and played Miura irons in the past....they were amazing and they did have a lot of the attributes many of you describe...they were spot on for loft, lie and length...sw was D2-D3 on every iron...they had a unique feel and I certainly understand why someone would prefer this feel...for me it came down to a measure of value per dollar spent...

Unfortunately, due to exchange rates, cost of production, etc. JDM stuff is, in many cases, in excess of of $1500 for a new set of 6 irons...You can get the same set of Mizuno irons for less than 1/2 of that...from a financial standpoint, JDM stuff is not a value based purchase...and with golf stuff, I generally go with value over vanity

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1358208705' post='6228671']
[/quote]

Then you weren't properly fit the first time...I've owned and played Miura irons in the past....they were amazing and they did have a lot of the attributes many of you describe...they were spot on for loft, lie and length...sw was D2-D3 on every iron...they had a unique feel and I certainly understand why someone would prefer this feel...for me it came down to a measure of value per dollar spent...

Unfortunately, due to exchange rates, cost of production, etc. JDM stuff is, in many cases, in excess of of $1500 for a new set of 6 irons...You can get the same set of Mizuno irons for less than 1/2 of that...from a financial standpoint, JDM stuff is not a value based purchase...and with golf stuff, I generally go with value over vanity
[/quote]
oh...so that's why you buy jdm. thanks!

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1358209974' post='6228825']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Sorry...maybe I should have qualified it with the statement that I bought JDM originally because I thought there would be a performance benefit...I sold it b/c there wasn't...

For me, I went with the RC forged blades because of the sole grind and feel. I'm messing around with a Yonez Ezone driver just because it might help me get my spin rates down from my 910D3 (shaft depending). If Titleist offered the same options on sole grind, I'd a bag full of Titleist clubs.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

Never played JDM but would love to try them out someday...

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

i was on secondment to tokyo.
my future employer had a set of prgr irons. forged musclecavities, and ihad a set of ping zings he let me hit t the day he took me to the course to get me to sign.
i was instantly over whelmed by the impact of his irons.

i went and bought his exact set next day. for 2500USD
they were my set for 4 years.
then, 4 yrs ago i decided to play blades /muscle backs and have tried just about everyting there is .

ive never picked up a a cast US designed club since..............................

. and never will again

owari !

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1358210560' post='6228881']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Sorry...maybe I should have qualified it with the statement that I bought JDM originally because I thought there would be a performance benefit...I sold it b/c there wasn't...
[/quote]
the topic asked a specific question but for some reason you chose to belittle someone's response and accuse him of not being fit properly. i just thought the "jdm isn't better" argument should have been left in the other derailed thread (if it needed to continue at all)...

For the same reason the Japanese do....status. We can go on and on but bottomline that is what it is.

If you really wanted on spec clubs fit for you. Go to a fitter with a Wishon account and have him build a set from ground up with all his components available. I have not played his stuff in a while (6 years??) His forgings are pretty darn good.

Re: Build quality-The shop I buy my stuff from offers free checking and bending for loft and lie to make sure they are on spec. Swingweights...I'm not good enough to feel the difference between D1 and D2-D2.5. I can tell D1 to D6 though but that would be a really bad manufacturing system altogether.

Although I will say the Japanese will tend to push the envelope more in R&D in a lot of different areas.........just look at the tech in shafts and balls. Mostly incremental steps but the R&D is there you just have to look for it.

They also offer more fun options.

Colored balls (been the rage in Japan for more than a decade, even before Noodle ice). I actually play fuchsia Tourstage "player's" balls to throw my matchplay opponents off.

Colored grips (IMHO resurgence started with Iomics).

Bright colored bags.

Some of it is LOUD, some subdued.

Of course I could also just wear khakis and a navy shirt to play golf using an all black bag.

Again if I had the $8-10k to spend on clubs I would go and get 2-3 star level Honma in everything but the slight more player's versions. I would even get the irons in graphite. That way I get the whole shebang........status, R&D, and build quality.

[/quote]

[/quote]

First off, you saying "I wasn't properly fit LAST TIME" makes no sense. If you read my very simple post, it says I tested the JDM gear side by side vs. the standard OEM offerings. The JDM (Epons) gave me by far and away the best numbers besides the fact that they felt amazing. So "Last time" has no bearing on this time.

Secondly, I don't buy golf clubs based on "good value" I save that for buying stocks. If you bought golf clubs based on "value" you would never buy a new set and I have no idea what your doing on the website (let alone the JDM forum) If you can't afford the high price tag, that's one thing but I choose to spend a little more to know I'm getting the best and the trackman numbers backed it up.

G400 LST -Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
G25 3W - Ping tour X-Flex
G30 5W - Ping Tour X
MP 5 - TI X100
Vokey 50/54/58
DJ Spider Ltd

[quote name='NYCgolfer17' timestamp='1358215375' post='6229381']
[/quote]

[/quote]

First off, you saying "I wasn't properly fit LAST TIME" makes no sense. If you read my very simple post, it says I tested the JDM gear side by side vs. the standard OEM offerings. The JDM (Epons) gave me by far and away the best numbers besides the fact that they felt amazing. So "Last time" has no bearing on this time.

Secondly, I don't buy golf clubs based on "good value" I save that for buying stocks. If you bought golf clubs based on "value" you would never buy a new set and I have no idea what your doing on the website (let alone the JDM forum) If you can't afford the high price tag, that's one thing but I choose to spend a little more to know I'm getting the best and the trackman numbers backed it up.
[/quote]

word homie :pimp:

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK...so can you define "by far"? I'm just saying that when comparing any two sets of irons...there is absolutely no way that any set, properly fit, is "by far" producing better numbers than any other set...do you really think if there were a JDM brand which was "by far" better than Ping, Callaway, etc. that Bubba, Phil, etc. wouldn't be playing them? If you were putting the same swing on both clubs, there wouldn't be a "by far" winner. Sounds like user error to me. I'm sure the EPONs felt nice...and feel is again subjective...so if you are into a 250% upcharge for feel, then more power to you...you are free to spend your $$$ as you choose...but please don't do it based on "performance" numbers which we all know would never prove your point....and don't worry, I can afford any set of clubs I want......the ability to afford a set of irons has no bearing on this conversation so sleep easy my friend

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1358217717' post='6229697']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK...so can you define "by far"? I'm just saying that when comparing any two sets of irons...there is absolutely no way that any set, properly fit, is "by far" producing better numbers than any other set...do you really think if there were a JDM brand which was "by far" better than Ping, Callaway, etc. that Bubba, Phil, etc. wouldn't be playing them? If you were putting the same swing on both clubs, there wouldn't be a "by far" winner. Sounds like user error to me. I'm sure the EPONs felt nice...and feel is again subjective...so if you are into a 250% upcharge for feel, then more power to you...you are free to spend your $$$ as you choose...but please don't do it based on "performance" numbers which we all know would never prove your point....and don't worry, I can afford any set of clubs I want......the ability to afford a set of irons has no bearing on this conversation so sleep easy my friend
[/quote]

I wish I still had the trackman numbers but basically the Epons with the same shaft vs the comparable OEM offering, it was no contest. I'm not sure why you keep referring to being "properly fit." I obv don't have a trackman in my backyard so this is at the fitting. So are you saying the fitter who fit me for the Epons has no idea what he was doing? I'm just not sure what your getting at here. It's not paying a 250% up charge when the products are not comparable.

Do you really not understand why Bubba, Phil, etc play Callaway, Ping etc? It's called $$$. The big OEM's have the budget to pay these guys to play their stuff. Epon, Miura and other JDM brands have no interest in being marketed to the masses. It would take away from the quality if they needed to produce for the mass market. Also, if you have't noticed, those guys on the PGA tour are pretty good. You could put a wood stick with a spoon tied to the end of it and they could probably break par.

G400 LST -Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
G25 3W - Ping tour X-Flex
G30 5W - Ping Tour X
MP 5 - TI X100
Vokey 50/54/58
DJ Spider Ltd

[quote name='NYCgolfer17' timestamp='1358221040' post='6230117']
[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1358217717' post='6229697']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wish I still had the trackman numbers but basically the Epons with the same shaft vs the comparable OEM offering, [b]it was no contest[/b]. I'm not sure why you keep referring to being "properly fit." I obv don't have a trackman in my backyard so this is at the fitting. So are you saying the fitter who fit me for the Epons has no idea what he was doing? I'm just not sure what your getting at here. It's not paying a 250% up charge when the products are not comparable.

Do you really not understand why Bubba, Phil, etc play Callaway, Ping etc? It's called $$$. The big OEM's have the budget to pay these guys to play their stuff. Epon, Miura and other JDM brands have no interest in being marketed to the masses. It would take away from the quality if they needed to produce for the mass market. Also, if you have't noticed, those guys on the PGA tour are pretty good. You could put a wood stick with a spoon tied to the end of it and they could probably break par.
[/quote]

Again, define "no contest"...what does that mean? Did the Epons hit the ball and the other clubs simply missed it altogether? You just conveniently can't find the trackman numbers....?? Were you hitting your 7 iron 220 yards? Maybe the Epons let you work the ball up, down, left, right with ease and you simply couldn't miss.....? All on a nice little simulator...

In addition, I know many people get fit on launch monitors, but the game is still played on a golf course...and if there were a club, a brand, a ball...anything, which was "no contest" better than anything else...you'd see it in the hands of many more players, professionals included - As much as some people would like to believe or try to convince themselves that a brand is somehow well beyond others, that simply isn't the case...right....Bubba only plays Ping because they pay him...got it...If Bubba couldn't get the clubs to perform, he'd last at least a couple months on tour, right?

The simple reality is, any professional can't afford to play a brand if the performance isn't absolutely 100% where they need it to be in order to compete...if you can't grasp that, then you probably believe a $2000 set of irons will hit the ball closer to the hole...as they say, a fool and his money...well, you know...

You're asserting that the Ping and Callaway and TM etc that the tour pros are playing are the same thing you and I can buy at the big box store. They're not.

Buying USDM product that's as tuned and hand selected and set up custom costs as much as JDM stuff in many cases. Go on TM's website and order a RBZ Tour with exactly 8.7 degrees of loft with a 1.5 degree open face angle and a certain weight and a hand rolled high modulus carbon shaft..

Oh, you can't? Well a tour pro can. And if you could, it would cost you as much as an Epon driver. It's a fallacy that the pros play the same model club that us schmucks do. That specialized stuff costs a lot, and that's part of the cost of JDM. Have it your way...at a cost.

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1358226958' post='6230703']
You're asserting that the Ping and Callaway and TM etc that the tour pros are playing are the same thing you and I can buy at the big box store. They're not.

Buying USDM product that's as tuned and hand selected and set up custom costs as much as JDM stuff in many cases. Go on TM's website and order a RBZ Tour with exactly 8.7 degrees of loft with a 1.5 degree open face angle and a certain weight and a hand rolled high modulus carbon shaft..

Oh, you can't? Well a tour pro can. And if you could, it would cost you as much as an Epon driver. It's a fallacy that the pros play the same model club that us schmucks do. That specialized stuff costs a lot, and that's part of the cost of JDM. Have it your way...at a cost.
[/quote]

The vast majority of "tour" equipment comes off the same assembly line as the retail stuff, COR tested, selected for weight etc but no different than what you can get in the store.

Frankly titleist woods, hybrids, irons, and a lot of wedges are exactly the same as what you can buy.

Hey, I love tour issue stuff as much as the next guy, especially the 20% of the stuff that isn't released to the public, but this idea that all the tour players are gaming special gear isn't really correct.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Oh....so thats why you buy jdm. thanks!

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1358212403' post='6229057']
[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1358210560' post='6228881']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
the topic asked a specific question but for some reason you chose to belittle someone's response and accuse him of not being fit properly. i just thought the "jdm isn't better" argument should have been left in the other derailed thread (if it needed to continue at all)...
[/quote]
Once again, here comes the jdm thread police. These guys really have thin skin.