2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Project X Launches New PXv Line of Graphite wood shafts

[quote name='Guv280984' timestamp='1359916540' post='6355607']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1359915791' post='6355567']
[quote name='Guv280984' timestamp='1359915022' post='6355507']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1359912508' post='6355287']
[quote name='Guv280984' timestamp='1359912105' post='6355245']
Would you recommend tipping half inch to keep the spin rate down with the 6.0?
[/quote]

Hi

well I wouldn't want to generalize. It would depend on your AoA, transition, release, swing speeds, the loft on your Driver etc. So its a difficult piece of advice to give.

I had mine tipped, because I have a fairly level AoA, and my Driver is a 913 D2 10.5*, so I tend to spin my Driver a little too much generally. I also have quite a late release, so I had mine tipped 1/2 in. I also had to lower the loft on my 913 to 9.75*. But that may not be needed for you. So its very difficult to say to be totally honest.
[/quote]

Well I was just going on the back of my post above. I went 8.5 in my 913D3 to keep the spin down with the RIP Phenom 70S. I am worried that the lighter weight shaft will increase the spin rate again hence why tipping it half inch will help with this. My swing speed is around 100MPH, carry is 245-250 yards
[/quote]

I personally would not tip it. 8.5* in a D3 would keep the spin down anyhow I would think, and even if it was a tad high, then you could always dial the 913 down to 7.75* if necessary. I think there was another poster on here that had an 106-108mph and he got on just fine without tipping it. My SS is around 104mph and I tipped mine, but I had that 10.5* of loft to contend with. You can always tip it later if necessary, but cannot put it back on if its wrong. So I would have it put straight in if I were you.
[/quote]

Thanks, I want the shaft to play 45 inches when fitted to my 913D3 so I would not want to be tipping it afterwards and bring that length down below 45.

I was just worried about the lightweight shaft and they always advise to go up half a flex when a shaft is light so I thought tipping it half inch would have been perfect. Do you think it will be too stiff doing this?
[/quote]

As I said, it really all depends on how you load the shaft, and your existing Drivers characteristics to you personally.

If you wouldn't want under 45in after findinding out you need it tipping, its still not a problem to put a 1/2in shaft extension in the butt end to get back to 45in, but obviously you couldn't do that at the tip end if you found it was wrong. As I said before, another poster says he has a 106-108mph SS, and the shaft can handle his swing fine. And kept his spin down to decent levels. Its a very versatile accomodating shaft. You will be very surprised at accomodating it is.

At 100mph SS I would recommend no tipping, especially with an 8.5* 913 D3, the only way I would recommend tipping with your SS and Driver Specs would be if your AoA was -3* and you had a mega late release. If you launch the ball well, with a 100mph SS and an 8.5* 913 D3, it would suggest your AoA is pretty good, and therefore no additional tipping would be needed.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I load the shaft quite well at the top.

I have read others saying the shaft feels quite loose as well. Really don't know what to do for the best. I believe tipping it half inch will tighten the dispersion as well and it won't change of the flex dramatically.

TrueTemper, any input here?

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW
SM10 Nickel Wedges 50, 54 & 58

Scotty Phantom 9.5

Sounds as i you have already pretty much decided to tip it. All I can say is that its a lower spinning shaft than the RIP Phenom you already have, and its your dough. I wouldn't do it, given the info you have given, but as I said, sounds as if you have already decided, and its your money. Good luck with it anyhow.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1359923341' post='6356217']
Sounds as i you have already pretty much decided to tip it. All I can say is that its a lower spinning shaft than the RIP Phenom you already have, and its your dough. I wouldn't do it, given the info you have given, but as I said, sounds as if you have already decided, and its your money. Good luck with it anyhow.
[/quote]

Definitely no decision made yet... If it is a lower spinning shaft than the RIP Phenom as you say then I will definitely not be tipping it. This is the first time I have heard this.

I might get it at 45.25 inches and play with it and then if needs be I can get the butt cut down if I like the feel or if not, then I get the tip trimmed if I want it tipped. Sounds like a plan

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW

Scotty Phantom 9.5

[quote name='Guv280984' timestamp='1359923755' post='6356269']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1359923341' post='6356217']
[/quote]

Definitely no decision made yet... If it is a lower spinning shaft than the RIP Phenom as you say then I will definitely not be tipping it. This is the first time I have heard this.

I might get it at 45.25 inches and play with it and then if needs be I can get the butt cut down if I like the feel or if not, then I get the tip trimmed if I want it tipped. Sounds like a plan
[/quote]

You may also need the 11g or 14g bezel head weight for your 913, as it may come up at about D1 swingweight, which could be a little light, but you can get that checked with any good fitter. If it comes up a bit light for SW, you can get the heavier weights to put in your 913, to bring that swingweight up as I said.

Good luck with it.

Thanks, I currently have the 9g bezel head weight at the min. I would be happy with D2-D3 swing weight so hopefully at 45.25 it should be okay.

Thanks, appreciate all your help

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW

Scotty Phantom 9.5

Guys, I think you guys are far too concerned about spin with these new PX shafts. I am using 5.5 39 with R9 9.5, D2 at 45.5" and have had no problem whatsoever with spin. Coming from 63S WB, the shaft does feel a little "loose" during transition, but it's really more caused by the lighter weight than actual shaft "flapping". At impact it has less kick than WB and feels extremely stable. Full swing showed no issues no matter how much I step on it. It's extremely easy to launch it high while knockdown is only slightly more challenging.

My SS is about 105MPH, and I had lots of concerns with a shaft this light initially. It only took one range session to get over the performance shock and let my hands convince my body that the light feel is totally OK to go at it.

This shaft has made me a believer of super light weight technology, and you guys REALLY need to give this a try before you write it off as being "too light".

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

[quote name='mister2cool' timestamp='1359960056' post='6359249']
Guys, I think you guys are far too concerned about spin with these new PX shafts. I am using 5.5 39 with R9 9.5, D2 at 45.5" and have had no problem whatsoever with spin. Coming from 63S WB, the shaft does feel a little "loose" during transition, but it's really more caused by the lighter weight than actual shaft "flapping". At impact it has less kick than WB and feels extremely stable. Full swing showed no issues no matter how much I step on it. It's extremely easy to launch it high while knockdown is only slightly more challenging.

My SS is about 105MPH, and I had lots of concerns with a shaft this light initially. It only took one range session to get over the performance shock and let my hands convince my body that the light feel is totally OK to go at it.

This shaft has made me a believer of super light weight technology, and you guys REALLY need to give this a try before you write it off as being "too light".
[/quote]

Exactly what I have been trying to tell another poster. No major issues for me with excess spin.

I can confirm that I have ordered the PXv Tour 52 6.0 to play at 45.25 inches in my Titleist 913D3 8.5*. Fingers crossed it will be here for the weekend...

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW

Scotty Phantom 9.5

HAHAHA... I am still waiting on delivery, expecting to have it on Tues or Wed! I am getting it at 45.25 so I am hoping I won't have to change the 9 gram weight already in the head. I think the 913's play at D4 so what will it go down to?

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW

Scotty Phantom 9.5

This is totally trivial, but the PXv webpage shows a white shaft that is the PXv 52 and a black shaft, is that the PXv Tour? The Callaway X Hot Pro woods come with a white PXv (which I know is real, as confirmed by Callaway and TT), if I understand correctly, which is why I'm confused.

http://www.royalprecision.com/pxshaft/pxv_tour.asp

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1360609110' post='6407669']
This is totally trivial, but the PXv webpage shows a white shaft that is the PXv 52 and a black shaft, is that the PXv Tour? The Callaway X Hot Pro woods come with a white PXv (which I know is real, as confirmed by Callaway and TT), if I understand correctly, which is why I'm confused.

[url="http://www.royalprecision.com/pxshaft/pxv_tour.asp"]http://www.royalprec...ft/pxv_tour.asp[/url]
[/quote]

The black shaft is the PXv Tour 39 shaft...

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW

Scotty Phantom 9.5

[quote name='Guv280984' timestamp='1360609519' post='6407711']
[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1360609110' post='6407669']

[url="http://www.royalprecision.com/pxshaft/pxv_tour.asp"]http://www.royalprec...ft/pxv_tour.asp[/url]
[/quote]

The black shaft is the PXv Tour 39 shaft...
[/quote]

Ah, okay, thanks for the info.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Hey,

Was just wondering you got your 14 gram weight and has it made a difference to the driver?

I finally got the PXv shaft and absolutely love it!

The swing weight is between D1-D2 so I am thinking of changing the 9g weight to a 14g weight to get the swing weight back to D4. How much did you 14g weight cost?

Thanks
Craig

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW

Scotty Phantom 9.5

[quote name='Guv280984' timestamp='1361030303' post='6439797']
Hey,

Was just wondering you got your 14 gram weight and has it made a difference to the driver?

I finally got the PXv shaft and absolutely love it!

The swing weight is between D1-D2 so I am thinking of changing the 9g weight to a 14g weight to get the swing weight back to D4. How much did you 14g weight cost?

Thanks
Craig
[/quote]

No, still haven't got my 14g weight. Its becoming a long weight!! Lol. Seriously though, I contacted my fitter on Monday to ask him if he had forgotten it, and strangely, he said it had just arrived that day, he said he would post it out to me, but I still don't have it!! Its been 3 weeks now, and to be honest with you, I'm getting a bit fed up with my fitter keep letting me down. I'm not gonna keep chasing him, I have given up with him, its a shame really, as I've spent thousands with him over the last few years, and just shows the level of customer service. As I said, I'm not going to go chasing him for something that I can get from any Titleist dealer. I will order one from my pro on Monday, as my fitter has let me down. No big deal, if my fitter can afford to turn away business, I will go to someone else who needs my business more. Sorry I can't help with the price though. My fitter never gave me a price, thats how disorganized he is I'm afraid.

That's crazy...

I am maybe going to put the 11g in my driver actually and get the swing weight to D2.5 then the 14g in my fairway wood which is currently at D0 so that will be D2.5 also.

Hopefully going to get them from the States

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW

Scotty Phantom 9.5

[quote name='Guv280984' timestamp='1361036366' post='6440239']
That's crazy...

I am maybe going to put the 11g in my driver actually and get the swing weight to D2.5 then the 14g in my fairway wood which is currently at D0 so that will be D2.5 also.

Hopefully going to get them from the States
[/quote]
You do know that they are in stock with Acushnet Europe though don't you? So they can be ordered individually from any Titleist account holder.

[quote name='Guv280984' timestamp='1361041740' post='6440667']
Yeah I was thinking that so might speak to my local pro who I believe has a Titleist account and see if he can get them in...
[/quote]

Sure, it shouldn't be a problem for any account holder. As I said, I rang Titleist 3 weeks ago, and they said that they were defo in stock.

TrueTemper, what is the stiffest the shafts both come in? Any 7.5's?

God Bless
Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

[quote name='slicktry' timestamp='1361068115' post='6442757']

God Bless
Jer
[/quote]

Up to 7.0 on the Tour and Tour 52. Up to 6.5 in the PXv 39.

We've found very little need to ever go stiffer. We did make a limited run of 7.5 hybrids and an 80 gram shaft for tour a few years ago, but the pros felt they were too stiff.

-Don

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1361125489' post='6445883']

God Bless
Jer
[/quote]

We've found very little need to ever go stiffer. We did make a limited run of 7.5 hybrids and an 80 gram shaft for tour a few years ago, but the pros felt they were too stiff.

-Don
[/quote]

Manassero put the shaft in his 913d2 8,5 but which model Tour52 in 6.5 at 45" tipped??

Cheers

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1361125489' post='6445883']

God Bless
Jer
[/quote]

-Don
[/quote]

Let's say I'd like a PXv 52 to play the same a the PX Black 7.0 (tipped 1.25'') I played with last year, should I go 7.0 with the same tipping?

What differences could I expect?

Thanks!

yep, tip it the same. PXv Tour 52 is 10% lighter so the difference will be more distance. :derisive:

TTS

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

• 2 months later...

[color=#222222]I am curious how the PXv Tour 6.5 compares to an AD DI 7x in a 3W. I am looking into picking up a 15* X Hot Pro with the PXv, and I am thinking about ordering it a 0.5-1 inches long to leave room in case I need to tip it. So when comparing the PXv Tour 6.5 @ 76 grams and a 3.3 torque vs. the AD DI @ 75 grams and 3.1 torque, how should the PXv compare in terms of stiffness and spin?[/color]
[color=#222222][size="3"] [/size][/color]
[color=#222222]I am replacing my XTD 3T 16* which just had the toe weight fall out (unless Adams customer service comes through with a warranty repair, but I am still intrigued by the PXv anyway). I had the AD DI in it, and I got a really nice high boring flight out of it and great control. Spin was pretty good, but I could get a hint of ballooning when playing into a stiff headwind. Also, I play the AD DI 6X tipped 0.5 in a Ping Anser 10.5 @ D5 with a 110-115 swing speed and a fairly steep angle of attack, a medium/fast transition, and a decent amount of lag. This is just about perfect, but I probably should have tipped a full inch to combat the spin from the 10.5* head with a high swing speed.[/color]
[color=#222222][size="3"] [/size][/color]
[color=#222222]Would it make sense to leave room for tipping the PXv, or should the 6.5 already play a little stiffer than the AD DI and/or have a little lower spin to begin with?[/color]