2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Project X Launches New PXv Line of Graphite wood shafts

See attached for specs and more info:

Project X Introduces New Lightweight PXv Shafts for Maximum Velocity

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (January 17, 2013) — Today, Project X introduced its new line of PXv shafts as the next iteration of the tour-winning Project X graphite family. The new shafts extend Project X’s Tour-proven history and heritage by providing more performance for more golfers than ever before.

“PXv delivers a progressive launch angle dependent on the flex to create a new level of performance in a graphite shaft,” said Don Brown, Project X product development manager and designer. “By incorporating the most advanced materials available in the industry today, our R&D team has designed a shaft that produces maximum velocity for the ball while preserving critical stability and control through the hitting zone.”

PXv is offered in three different weights: PXv Tour at 70 grams, PXv Tour 52 at 52 grams and the incredibly super lightweight PXv 39 which is 39 grams.

“With PXv 39, we accomplished an industry first; a true sub-40 gram high performance graphite shaft that delivers the control expected of the Project X brand,” Brown said. “For players who may not want to go that light, PXv Tour 52 is a great option, and PXv Tour is a perfect complementing fairway wood design to PXv 52 or a shaft design for players looking for a slightly heavier driver shaft.”

The new additions to the Project X family set a new benchmark for high performance shafts. The PXv shafts are ideal for competitive and aspirational players who are constantly seeking the latest technology in golf equipment to give them a competitive edge.

Where to Buy

PXv Tour 52 and PXv Tour are now available through True Temper’s network of distributors, while PXv 39 is available exclusively through True Temper’s Performance Fitting Centers.

For more information about PXv, visit www.pxshaft.com. Also, become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/projectxgolf, and follow at www.twitter.com/projectxgolf. To find a Performance Fitting Center in your area, visit www.performancefittingcenter.com.

GolfWRX Test Group Feedback:

“I loved this shaft!!! It feels very stiff at address by when you swing it has a fantastic feel and the ball just seems to want to go right where you want it.” – Golfwrx member tjgus25 with PXv Tour 52 7.0

“Worked beautifully with a smooth tempo. Hang time was excellent with med/high launch, but no ballooning” – GolfWRx member Mister2cool with PXv 39 6.0

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

havent heard to much about this shaft!! Sounds interesting. The original PX worked well for me, wonder how they compare

G430 Max 10K 9* w/Tensei Orange 1K 70TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro White 70TX
TSr3 18* w/Tensei AV Raw White 85TX 2.0

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/MMT 125TX

W/S Forged 50* w/DG S400

Mg4 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Spider S
TP5X 24'

I was one of the ones in the tester group. I received the PXv 52 in 6.5 flex.

I received the all black golfwrx prototype graphics version and was not told until later what the shafts and specs were on the shaft.

I currently play a Fuji ZCOM MW54 but will be switching it out for this one I believe.

I loved the trajectory and feel of this shaft and really was surprised by the spin numbers. The shaft is solid feeling but at the same time offers a good feel and kick, not boardy at all.

Distance was on par (actually 2-3yd improvement) and dispersion was slightly tighter as well when compared to my current shaft.

I have always liked lighter shafts and this one has a balanced feel, not too tip or butt heavy at all.

If anyone has any specific questions just ask and I will do my best to answer them.

I also was in the test group and had the Tour 52 in the 6.0 and it is a great shaft. I was very surprised that a light shaft can offer such a good combination of feel, accuracy, and distance. I was about 6-7yds longer with the Tour 52 than the GD Tour DI-6 that I was gaming at the time. Really worth giving it a try.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

If I'm not mistaken, this is the stock offering in Callaway' s X Hot Pro. Just don't know if it's the real deal or a made for? Waiting to hit one as soon as they are available.

In my OGIO RTC Bag
Mavrik (for now)
EPIC FLASH SZ 3 wood
EPIC FLASH % wood
APEX 19 5-AW

MD4 52 custom by AT
MD5 56, 60
Toulon Garage Memphis or Palm Beach
2020 Chrome Soft TT

The X Hot Pro series has the standard Xv model and it is really good as well. For sure a little heavier, but that same smooth feel and stable. I was fit into that shaft in my Razr Fit Xtreme and it is a great combo. It is right on the money when they say Mid launch and is fairly low spin as well.

I was in the test group and received PXv 39 5.5. Its performance surprised the heck out of me and has been in my bag since. Mid-high launch and carries forever.

I had never used a shaft below 60g before this so it was a big surprise how stable the shaft really is, and how easy it is to hit.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

knudson81 - is the PXv taking over for the DI?

How did it work when you guys "stepped on it"? Dispersion still good?

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Hi Everybody, I'll answer a few of the questions:

Tour 52 has the same flex and launch characteristics of PX Black and Blue. If you are a fan of those to shafts you would love a Tour 52 in the same flex. 10% lighter than the black and in our head to head blind testing the majority of testers felt that Tour 52 was more stable and more accurate.

The 39 has been an almost career long goal for me. The first attempts at sub 40 were almost 8 years ago and they couldn't hold up to even my meager swing once. The advancement in materials and our understanding of how to incorporate them into they layup finally resulted in the PXv 39. In all honesty when we finally had a durable part we assumed it would be part of the ProLauch Blue family. Given its light weight we assumed it would be mid-high launch and spin. We sent prototypes out to some of our best players and the resounding feedback was that this wasn't a PL Blue, this was PX. It launched Mid but it hit knuckle balls. We had two on play on the Euro Tour last year, both in 6.0.

Hope that helps-
Don
Lead Designer PX

WITB

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1359825503' post='6349827']
Hi Everybody, I'll answer a few of the questions:

Tour 52 has the same flex and launch characteristics of PX Black and Blue. If you are a fan of those to shafts you would love a Tour 52 in the same flex. 10% lighter than the black and in our head to head blind testing the majority of testers felt that Tour 52 was more stable and more accurate.

The 39 has been an almost career long goal for me. The first attempts at sub 40 were almost 8 years ago and they couldn't hold up to even my meager swing once. The advancement in materials and our understanding of how to incorporate them into they layup finally resulted in the PXv 39. In all honesty when we finally had a durable part we assumed it would be part of the ProLauch Blue family. Given its light weight we assumed it would be mid-high launch and spin. We sent prototypes out to some of our best players and the resounding feedback was that this wasn't a PL Blue, this was PX. It launched Mid but it hit knuckle balls. We had two on play on the Euro Tour last year, both in 6.0.

Hope that helps-
Don
Lead Designer PX
[/quote]

Don - does the PXv have the same flex and launch characteristics as the Tour Issue Blue?

Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

It does, though depending on which TI Blue you are talking about could be a huge weight drop (30 grams vs 8C4), which can result in increased clubhead speed, which can increase spin.

WITB

I have a swing speed with the driver of 100MPH, carry about 245-250 yards and currently game a RIP Phenom 70S in my 913D3. I am looking for something maybe a little lighter but just as stable. What PXv would you recommend?

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW
SM10 Nickel Wedges 50, 54 & 58

Scotty Phantom 9.5

PXv Tour 52, 6.0. You'll loose 20% of the weight and PXv Tour 52 is really stable. Most of our testers think PXv Tour 52 felt more stable than the heavier PXs. That's due to a change we made to the mid section geometry to increase the stability and we were able to add a wrap of ultra thin graphite in a hoop orientation to really ramp up stability.

WITB

I gave my PXv Tour 52 in my Titleist 913 its first outing yesterday. Unfortunately I hadn't played or practised for 6 weeks here in the UK. because of the snow and bad weather, so I am sure my swing was quite a little way off. My SS is around 104mph and ball speeds are generally around 155mph. I have the Tour 52 in a 6.0 and has been tipped 1/2 inch, because I often struggle with excess spin with a Driver.

Firstly, I found the feel to be excellent, still fairly smooth, but during transition its very solid. Results were about 7/10 to be honest. But to be fair I think that can be improved with more time, as I said, my swing was a tad off due to golfing inactivity recently, and probably most of all to do with that putting it into my 913 at 44.5in has resulted in swingweight of just D0. I don't think this did me, or the shaft any favours to be honest, and I will be ordering a 14g weight for my 913 on Monday to take the swingweight back up to D2.5. I think this D0 swingweight was really killing my dispersion, though I would be interested to hear any experts views on that?

I also had to dial down my 913 by 0.75* loft, as I thought I was getting a bit more spin than was perfect for me. And that certainly helped somewhat. Overall, I am fairly satisfied, subject to me getting to the Driving range more often, and that swingweight issue which I have to solve with the heavier weight in the head.

As I said, any expert views on the D0 swingweight and its possible affects would be gratefully received though.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I had to get an 8.5 913D3 to keep the spin down. Will the weight of this shaft cause my spin rate to go up?

Would it be best getting it tipped half inch to help this?

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW

Scotty Phantom 9.5

I would love to try one

[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]driver- R15 BLACK TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]3 WOOD- R15 TP TOUR DEPT, SPEEDER STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]5WOOD R15 TOUR DEPT, PROJECT X BLACK STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] IRONS- RSI 2 4-G PROGRAMS STIFF[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5] WEDG- BV SM5 54 M GRIND - R SERIES TP EF SPIN 58[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]PUTTER-ODYSSEY WORKS VERSA 7 TANK.[/size][/font][/i][/b]
[b][i][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=5]BALL- TOUR PREFERD, [/size][/font][/i][/b]

[quote name='Guv280984' timestamp='1359834091' post='6350591']
Thanks for the reply.

I had to get an 8.5 913D3 to keep the spin down. Will the weight of this shaft cause my spin rate to go up?

Would it be best getting it tipped half inch to help this?
[/quote]

Also, would you recommend the PXv Tour 6.0 in a Titleist 913F.d 3 Wood?

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW

Scotty Phantom 9.5

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1359830489' post='6350291']
It does, though depending on which TI Blue you are talking about could be a huge weight drop (30 grams vs 8C4), which can result in increased clubhead speed, which can increase spin.
[/quote]

I'm using a 6C12 so the weight difference wouldn't be too dramatic.

Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1359814369' post='6349001']
knudson81 - is the PXv taking over for the DI?

How did it work when you guys "stepped on it"? Dispersion still good?
[/quote]

It for sure did kick out the DI for me. It only took a few rounds and range sessions. The Tour 52 felt better and gave me a few more yards. The dispersion is as good as any shaft I have hit, but when I "step on it" my swing goes to crap and any shaft misses the fairway!

[quote name='mister2cool' timestamp='1359788812' post='6348385']
I was in the test group and received PXv 39 5.5. Its performance surprised the heck out of me and has been in my bag since. Mid-high launch and carries forever.

I had never used a shaft below 60g before this so it was a big surprise how stable the shaft really is, and how easy it is to hit.
[/quote]

Time to change your signature line to reflect your new "baby."

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

[quote name='Guv280984' timestamp='1359912105' post='6355245']
Would you recommend tipping half inch to keep the spin rate down with the 6.0?
[/quote]

Hi

well I wouldn't want to generalize. It would depend on your AoA, transition, release, swing speeds, the loft on your Driver etc. So its a difficult piece of advice to give.

I had mine tipped, because I have a fairly level AoA, and my Driver is a 913 D2 10.5*, so I tend to spin my Driver a little too much generally. I also have quite a late release, so I had mine tipped 1/2 in. I also had to lower the loft on my 913 to 9.75*. But that may not be needed for you. So its very difficult to say to be totally honest.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1359912508' post='6355287']
[/quote]

Hi

well I wouldn't want to generalize. It would depend on your AoA, transition, release, swing speeds, the loft on your Driver etc. So its a difficult piece of advice to give.

I had mine tipped, because I have a fairly level AoA, and my Driver is a 913 D2 10.5*, so I tend to spin my Driver a little too much generally. I also have quite a late release, so I had mine tipped 1/2 in. I also had to lower the loft on my 913 to 9.75*. But that may not be needed for you. So its very difficult to say to be totally honest.
[/quote]

Well I was just going on the back of my post above. I went 8.5 in my 913D3 to keep the spin down with the RIP Phenom 70S. I am worried that the lighter weight shaft will increase the spin rate again hence why tipping it half inch will help with this. My swing speed is around 100MPH, carry is 245-250 yards

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW

Scotty Phantom 9.5

[quote name='Guv280984' timestamp='1359915022' post='6355507']
[/quote]

Hi

[/quote]

Well I was just going on the back of my post above. I went 8.5 in my 913D3 to keep the spin down with the RIP Phenom 70S. I am worried that the lighter weight shaft will increase the spin rate again hence why tipping it half inch will help with this. My swing speed is around 100MPH, carry is 245-250 yards
[/quote]

I personally would not tip it. 8.5* in a D3 would keep the spin down anyhow I would think, and even if it was a tad high, then you could always dial the 913 down to 7.75* if necessary. I think there was another poster on here that had an 106-108mph and he got on just fine without tipping it. My SS is around 104mph and I tipped mine, but I had that 10.5* of loft to contend with. You can always tip it later if necessary, but cannot put it back on if its wrong. So I would have it put straight in if I were you.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1359915791' post='6355567']
[quote name='Guv280984' timestamp='1359915022' post='6355507']
[/quote]

Hi

[/quote]

[/quote]

I personally would not tip it. 8.5* in a D3 would keep the spin down anyhow I would think, and even if it was a tad high, then you could always dial the 913 down to 7.75* if necessary. I think there was another poster on here that had an 106-108mph and he got on just fine without tipping it. My SS is around 104mph and I tipped mine, but I had that 10.5* of loft to contend with. You can always tip it later if necessary, but cannot put it back on if its wrong. So I would have it put straight in if I were you.
[/quote]

Thanks, I want the shaft to play 45 inches when fitted to my 913D3 so I would not want to be tipping it afterwards and bring that length down below 45.

I was just worried about the lightweight shaft and they always advise to go up half a flex when a shaft is light so I thought tipping it half inch would have been perfect. Do you think it will be too stiff doing this?

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW

Scotty Phantom 9.5