lonestarhog

[quote name='Golfinnova' timestamp='1360881888' post='6430323']
[quote name='kg92lefty' timestamp='1360816272' post='6425571']
[quote name='Golfinnova' timestamp='1360792014' post='6423009']
[quote name='kg92lefty' timestamp='1360734628' post='6418725']
[quote name='Golfinnova' timestamp='1360641218' post='6411183']
[quote name='kg92lefty' timestamp='1360555368' post='6404067']
[quote name='Golfinnova' timestamp='1360204905' post='6377507']
We don't know what the O.P. is looking for but even as a tourist those prices are a total ripoff. I actually like LVGC but it is slow to play just because of the locals traffic compared to the other OB tracks and[b] we'll just have to disagree on PD[/b] but there are deals out there.

If you want to play the best courses then in terms of conditioning and prices then it is best to book the 3 Paiute courses along with Primm and Boulder Creek. However, if one wants good deals where he doesn't get the tourist shaft then my previous post applies correctly.
[/quote]

Wow. You are either blind or prefer playing golf in a cow pasture, a poor condition cow pasture.
[/quote]

[b]Lighten up Francis, if you think PD is a dump then you really don't know anything about courses here! You want to talk about dumps, go play Desert Rose with it's crap range and trash strewn fairways where one can get on at $25. That is a dump![/b]

[b]You don't like PD, I get it but don't come on here and insult me saying I am blind. You got it!!![/b]
[/quote]

My name is not Francis. I know more about the courses in Vegas than you.
[/quote]

[b]Obviously you don't if you think PD is a dump when there are far worse out here. Try being an adult and be objective with your posts!!![/b]
[/quote]

PD is a dump. Get over it. Everyone I talk to says the same exact thing.
[/quote]

[b]That is [u]YOUR[/u] opinion which you are entitled to; however, show some respect for others who don't share that opinion. As I said before, be objective as to [u]WHY[/u] you think it is a dump and be a grown-up about it!!![/b]
[/quote]This is getting to be a real pi$$ing match.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to Vegas in June. Looking at playing Wolf at Paiute and Bali Hai.

Paiute Wolf is an excellent choice. Book it, you won't regret it

Bali Hai is nice, but very expensive. You are paying for the convenience of the strip. You can play courses that are as good or better for a third of the price. The Lakes course at Primm is worth the 40 minute drive. I played Rhodes Ranch last week. RR is similar in style to Bali Hai, much less expensive, in excellent condition and only 20 minutes away. I paid $79 for the round, range balls, breakfast, lunch and two beers. That would cost about $300 at Bali Hai.

http://www.flickr.co...57631988064259/ Link to photos of Rhodes Ranch and other Vegas courses

8460578192_2301561f9b_c.jpg

Rhodes Ranch #3 par 3 - 230 from tips r by tewiespix, on Flickr

8460570808_b9fcd5633c_c.jpg

Rhodes Ranch #17 from tee r by tewiespix, on Flickr

Jesus. Painted Desert isn't bad but it's not perfect. I certainly wouldn't call it a dump but they do overcharge and u never get to hit off the damn grass on the practice range. I wouldn't pay more than $35 to play there basically but I go there every couple months. If you are visiting Vegas though I wouldn't take my out if town friends there, they and everyone else deserve to play premium courses. I say if you are coming here you need to play 1. All of the Paiute courses 2. TPC Las Vegas 3. Rio Secco 4. Rhodes Ranch is nice 5. Head up to Mesquite and play Wolf creek or Conestoga. 6. Like someone else said on here is Badlands. I play there once a month and love it, but it is position golf, if you really suck then it'll get on your nerves quick.

I am going April 19th through 22nd. The problem I am running into is Aeration. Looking at two rounds so Probably Paiute Snow(wolf says aeration that week, snow is two weeks prior, sun week before), and then keep jumping between Primm Lakes and a few others closer. Obviously not paying for wynn, Cascata, or shadow.
From what I read
[color=#ff0000]primm valley Lakes- best bet but a little further[/color].
Royal Links- Over priced, gimmicky
arroyo at red rock- Time of play seems to be the issue on a saturday?
desert Pines- gimmicky
[color=#ff0000]revere lexington- haven't heard much bad[/color]
Tpc- Not interested in golfing around a housing development, can do that where I live.
Bears best- mixed review's. I don't like the barried elephants all over his courses.
Spanish trail- Which 9's to play?

Bears best- mixed review's. I don't like the barried elephants all over his courses.

The greens at Bear's Best are not severe. They have some contour and movement that will affect your thought process on how and where to hit your approach, but really nothing extreme that I can recall. I thought Jack's greens there were pretty interesting. I wouldn't take it off your list because of the greens. It is worth playing if you can get a good green fee. I think EZ links sometimes has BB at a lower rate than Golfnow

8178663873_37dac17150_c.jpg

Bears Best #8 green from right r by tewiespix, on Flickr

8178653697_70245cc313_c.jpg

Bears Best #16 view back toward tee r by tewiespix, on Flickr

8178684374_2fa2a02921_c.jpg

Bears Best #17 approach r by tewiespix, on Flickr

8178655593_8b3832cc36_c.jpg

Bears Best #15 par 3 from front tee zoomed - LV strip 10 miles away r by tewiespix, on Flickr

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1361231562' post='6454303']
Nobody has mentioned Coyote Springs. 55 minutes from the strip. Great Nicklaus course and you can usually play unlimited holes. Sometimes if you call them directly they will beat their posted online rates.
[/quote]

Great course! I also liked Mountain Falls in Pahrump. Painted Desert was the worst golf experience I've ever had. Narrow fairway with houses on both sides for several holes.

The greens at Bear's Best are not severe. They have some contour and movement that will affect your thought process on how and where to hit your approach, but really nothing extreme that I can recall. I thought Jack's greens there were pretty interesting. I wouldn't take it off your list because of the greens. It is worth playing if you can get a good green fee. I think EZ links sometimes has BB at a lower rate than Golfnow

8178663873_37dac17150_c.jpg

Bears Best #8 green from right r by tewiespix, on Flickr

8178653697_70245cc313_c.jpg

Bears Best #16 view back toward tee r by tewiespix, on Flickr

8178684374_2fa2a02921_c.jpg

Bears Best #17 approach r by tewiespix, on Flickr

8178655593_8b3832cc36_c.jpg

Bears Best #15 par 3 from front tee zoomed - LV strip 10 miles away r by tewiespix, on Flickr

thinking more about his unnatural hills he puts all over the courses on the sides in the rough. At least on a couple of the courses of his I have played.

Not sure anybody mentioned Coyote Springs, it's an 18 Hole Nicklaus Monster in the middle of nowhere that's worth an "All Day" golf trip from Vegas. Top 10 Nevada Course and 36 hole rates are available that make the trip worth it every time. It's an hr north of the strip, not bad at all,so go and play 36 there. I've played both courses at Primm Valley, both are fantastic, Lakes is the better layout but is more difficult. If you don't mind twi light rates, it can be a steal here. I played here last March and again in October and didn't pay over $60 for either course. All 3 Courses at Pauite Resort are good, not great. A bit repetitive, but Wolf is the best, but busiest and hardest. Twilite golf is cheap here or at least can be, and 36 hole specials are available here and not a bad way to go. Can pay around $130 for 36 with carts,lunch and balls. That's worth the trip. Usually windy at Pauite so be prepared. Spanish Trail is fun to play and availability is picking up. Former tour course(vegas Open), and worth a look, always in great shape. Boulder Creek in Boulder City is a very good 27 hole facility. All 3 nines are good tests. Lots of rock in the desert areas so if you stray off grass it's not always an iron back into play, it's the hand wedge!! If Badlands is in good shape it's affordable and fun. Can be a little demanding with some forced carries if you haven't got much game. Angel Park isn't as bad as some here have stated. I travel and am not a Vegas local so I'm not predjudiced towards any course, I'll give them all a try. I've seen the good and bad at Angel Park. For the average player in Vegas, these are fun courses. Palmer layouts, nice variety. The Mountain side is a good 18 hole course, greens are tough and usually not in wonderful shape,but still playable. Use discount sites to stay under $60 and this is a good buy. Tuscany is also a fun course to play and recently has been in great shape. Housing dvelopment starting to creep in but if you can keep it reasonably straight u should be fine. Not bad pricing here as well. Rates under $100 here are very common. All in all if you use Golfnow and EZ links, and don't mind a late round now and then, you should stay under $100 a round and have plenty of fun courses to choose from. Enjoy, I'm there Mar1-8 and again Apri 10-19 so I hope we get some deals and some great weather.

OK, so a little follow up to locals out there. Rio is $60 from now until the end of month and Cascata is $125, I'm taking advantage of that on Friday to cross that off my list. I also heard possibly that TPC Las Vegas is also $60 for this month so right now it's a good time for the better courses here.

Played Rio this past Sunday and was a perfect day. The good was we got done in 3:45, the bad and I'm sure every one of you has had one of these but we were paired with 2 guys that would not stop talking. One guy had a nice swing and drove the ball well but would talk the entire time up till he hit the ball then there is the other guy who not only talked constantly whether one was in address position but he never lowered his voice to whisper. After the third time he spoke before I hit a bad shot and did the Tiger club drop did he finally get the point that it's not good etiquette to talk when people are trying to hit a ball :angry2: . Then on 17, he left his ball on my putting line rather than mark so I was forced to putt around his ball.

Aside from the bad, the pin positions were challenging even using a texas wedge off the green. Always a fun course and recommend to anyone who wants a challenge!

Someone mentioned that Bali Hai's price was high because you are paying for the convenience of location on the strip. While that may be true, when I played TPC Vegas last year the cab ride alone cost me $50 each way (incl. tip). So you have to factor the extra $100 into the cost (unless you have other modes of transport of course). If I remember right, I think the total cab ride to Bali Hai was $15 each way.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)