Wie missing cut @ Sony - Excuse already made

Springbok

Wie missing cut @ Sony - Excuse already made

Wie Battling Injury, Expects to Play

By The Golf Central Newsroom - January 08, 2007

2006 Sony OpenThe Golf Channel has learned that Michelle Wie has a sore wrist and that it has been bothering her for an undisclosed period of time.

Sources confirmed the injury Monday but said it won't affect her participation in the Tuesday Pro-Am at the Sony Open in Hawaii. She is also expected to tee it up in the tournament that begins Thursday at Waialae Country Club near her Honolulu home.

The 17-year-old Wie has made several unsuccessful attempts to make the cut in a PGA TOUR event. Last year at the Sony Open she shot a 36-hole total of 147 and failed to advance to the weekend by four shots.

Recently, Wie, a high school senior, was accepted at Stanford University where she will enroll as a freshman in the fall of this year.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. No antics that I see...just someone given the opportunity to compete. I think the majority of us would be doing the same thing if we had the same type of opportunity. She is someone who IMO is in a little over her head. Superior talent for sure. I just wish she would go to the LPGA and dominate. She's got the potential to do so much more than "trying to make the cut."

It's all about the money for the sponsors (Tournament, Nike, Etc). They are the ones inviting her and they are the ones profiting from it. She should be wise and turn them down and focus on beating players at her own level first. Shes not really doing much for her game by just trying to make the cut and failing miserably. With that said I do hope she does well, I'm pulling for her.

There are a lot of golfers (professional and ametuer) who are just as good if not better than her (i am referring to males). She is a freak of talent for her sex/age that is why she is playing in the Sony. I agree with the other poster, lets see her win a WOMENS event before she pulls this publicity stunt ever year.

-Steve

She hasn't done anything and she doesn't deserve anything. She hasn't made the cut at all or won an LPGA Tour event. She needs to go back to the LPGA Tour...she doesn't deserve a multimillion $$$ contract from Nike...she's 16 and has proved nothing except that she can come in the last of the field. There are plenty of kids who could beat her easily but they aren't getting all this attention.

She hasn't done anything and she doesn't deserve anything. She hasn't made the cut at all or won an LPGA Tour event. She needs to go back to the LPGA Tour...she doesn't deserve a multimillion $$$ contract from Nike...she's 16 and has proved nothing except that she can come in the last of the field. There are plenty of kids who could beat her easily but they aren't getting all this attention.

Actually 17 now....... but who's counting?

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go again! :crazy:

jer-jer

Are you saying that "You?" could beat Michelle Wie???

Some people might not be aware of the facts, and that is, Michelle Wie brings 30,000 to 70,000 extra ticket sales to every tournament that she is invited to play in, men's events. I'm not sure what a ticket costs...what? $25 - $65?? Is there any wonder why she keeps getting exemptions??? :crazy:

She's agood golfer, she's good looking, and gosh darn it people just like her. ;)

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Beat to death...even I can't argue against her any more because shes bringing in so much attention to golf.

Obviously shes just there to sell tickets but thats how business works.

If Wie's going to sell 50,000 more tickets @ $30 a pop then I'm asking Michelle Wie to play in as many events as I can.

I still don't think she should be able to play in anything outside this tournament, because its her home state, sponsor etc.

But whats going to happen if she goes to Q-school and gets her card? Or makes a cut, or even wins!?!?

Then what do you say? No you can't play because your a gir...oh wait can't say that.....so deal with it shes here and shes not going anywhere...I've done it you can too!!

jer-jer

Are you saying that "You?" could beat Michelle Wie???

Some people might not be aware of the facts, and that is, Michelle Wie brings 30,000 to 70,000 extra ticket sales to every tournament that she is invited to play in, men's events. I'm not sure what a ticket costs...what? $25 - $65?? Is there any wonder why she keeps getting exemptions??? :crazy:

She's agood golfer, she's good looking, and gosh darn it people just like her. ;)

Definitely not saying I could beat Michelle Wie. She's only getting exemptions so more $$$ is brought it...doesn't mean she deserves an exemption at all.

seriously seems like alot of jealousy, just let it be. its people just making generalizations about her without knowning anything at all. why should it matter to anybody so much.

and honestly, anybody in her position would have took a multi-million dollar contrat at that age! if you say you wouldnt, you'd be lying......dont knock on her because you werent given that opportunity.

and i sense this thread will be locked soon!!