Legal LED models - gx-3i and tour z6

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a decision about a laser. I want to select a legal choice, and luckily they are less expensive anyhow. I currently bag a bushnell 1600 slope, so I'm in no rush. The differences I can see are:

Leupold has slightly blue-er glass

z6 has a tripod mount

Leupold has 6-inch accuracy, not 18

z6 appears slightly more "rugged" in build

z6 has stiffer buttons

For the most part, these things seem nearly identical. Both have bright LED, both go below +/- 1yd, and both are one-handers at half-a-pound. These three features are why I'm considering moving up the scale, as well as admitting that I feel a slight pull towards a legal tool, stupid as that might be.

So what I'm looking for is why you might select one over the other.

Thanks!

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leupold is faster, in my opinion. The Z6, you have to hold down the button for a moment, and then it takes a second for the number to pop up. On the GX3i, you tap the button and the number comes up. The button on the Leupold kind of clicks, which to me makes it easier to use. I felt like I had to mash down the button on the Bushnell Z6. I personally prefer the display on the Leupold, and you can select from different reticles. On the Z6, it has an indicator when the "flag sensor," function is utilized. Basically, any time it chooses one object (the closer one) over another. The Leupold has the same function, but does not tell you when it happens. It's nice to have the reassurance of the Bushnell. The learning curve is quick though, it's pretty easy to know when the Leupold gets the right number. I personally prefer the look and fell of the Leupold, it fits in my hand better, and looks better. This, of course, is up to you. The case for the bushnell is larger, and clips to a bag easier. The Leupold case doesn't offer as much protection but fits in a pocket.

Either one is a great piece of equipment. Accuracy is about the same. I chose the Leupold when I was looking at the same 2 models.

Thanks - yes, I have handled them both. They didn't feel terribly different, but all I had to shoot at was 52y away in Golf Galaxy. Interestingly, they were over a yard off of each other, which surprised me.

I've seen a few things about Leupold customer service which worried me, and that they seem to be less durable, but at the same time, it's probably a 1-in-100 difference if anything. Perception is often more difference than reality, I guess.

If anyone else has thoughts, I'm all ears. It sounds like the gx-3i is the leader in the clubhouse...

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I just got done comparing the two. I went with the GX-3i, it felt better and better built in my hand and the display was perfect. Plus, it's made by a precision optics company that works with the military. I feel like i'm a spotter for a SEAL sniper team, haha. I also got the QuickDraw tether to attach to my bag for when I walk, it works great.

I had a GX-4i until I forgot to take it out of a golf cart. I do not have it any longer.

I'll be getting a Z6, most probably, because it has enough white paint on it that it's less likely I'll leave it in a cart.

Leupold and Bushnell optics are both fine. I found the green tint of the Leupold display to be a bit disconcerting, and it took me a while to be able to lock consistently onto flags (the Bushnell Pinseeker worked better for me - had an old Medalist that gave up the ghost). But both are excellent. If it weren't for the white-color thing I'd probably just shop for whichever one I could find at a lower price.

Interesting tidbit regarding the legal bit... played ahead of a State Association Jr. tourney about a week ago, and listened in on the tee instructions for the kids. The official mentioned that Lasers were allowed, but never made the distinction between legal/non legal, ie slope/non-slope, nor did they make any distinction re smartphones, ie compass/wind/etc. Now I realize this was "just" a JR event, but still is a state association multi day tournament, and does have repercussions on national junior rankings, etc, so not just a club event or anything. Anyway, it made me think, I am member of the same association and don't ever recall any mention of different types of laser devices before our tournaments either.

It seems they are just assuming people will not use the "illegal" versions, or expecting the players to polices themselves in this regard. I wonder what would happen if a competitor called someone on it - are the prepared to penalize/disqualify someone on it.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1360984069' post='6437917']
Interesting tidbit regarding the legal bit... played ahead of a State Association Jr. tourney about a week ago, and listened in on the tee instructions for the kids. The official mentioned that Lasers were allowed, but never made the distinction between legal/non legal, ie slope/non-slope, nor did they make any distinction re smartphones, ie compass/wind/etc. Now I realize this was "just" a JR event, but still is a state association multi day tournament, and does have repercussions on national junior rankings, etc, so not just a club event or anything. Anyway, it made me think, I am member of the same association and don't ever recall any mention of different types of laser devices before our tournaments either.

It seems they are just assuming people will not use the "illegal" versions, or expecting the players to polices themselves in this regard. I wonder what would happen if a competitor called someone on it - are the prepared to penalize/disqualify someone on it.
[/quote]

It would result in a DQ, I've seen it happen a couple of different times.

[quote name='T-Bone84' timestamp='1360989822' post='6438453']
[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1360984069' post='6437917']

[/quote]

It would result in a DQ, I've seen it happen a couple of different times.
[/quote]

I agree, it should/would. Just though it was odd they don't really address it beforehand, specifically since some are legal/some are not. I've always owned tournament legal models so no issue for me, but something to pay attention to I guess :)

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1360690265' post='6414007']
Hi all,

I'm trying to make a decision about a laser. I want to select a legal choice, and luckily they are less expensive anyhow. I currently bag a bushnell 1600 slope, so I'm in no rush. The differences I can see are:

Leupold has slightly blue-er glass
z6 has a tripod mount
Leupold has 6-inch accuracy, not 18
z6 appears slightly more "rugged" in build
z6 has stiffer buttons

For the most part, these things seem nearly identical. Both have bright LED, both go below +/- 1yd, and both are one-handers at half-a-pound. These three features are why I'm considering moving up the scale, as well as admitting that I feel a slight pull towards a legal tool, stupid as that might be.

[i]So what I'm looking for is why you might select one over the other.[/i]

Thanks!
[/quote]

Here's a vote for the Z6. I used it all during the 2012 season and couldn't be happier with it. One characteristc of the Leupold that bothered me was the bluish tint of the optics. The Bushnell is crystal clear.