Ping i20 or G25 Irons?

stuart374

I currently use the Ping G20 irons, but I have found that the sole is way too big and I end up chunking a lot. I played with an old set of blades recently in a rental set while travelling and made surprisingly great contact with them. That got me thinking that a more blade-like iron that the G20 would be better for me, as it would encourage me to make ball-first contact more. May handicap index is 13.5 and I have reasonable distance on my shots.

The two clubs I am thinking of are the new G25 irons, which have a smaller sole than their predecessors, and the i20s. On a monitor today I believe that I actually hit the i20s better and they felt good, but I am worried that they are for "better" players and will not be forgiving enough for me over time. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been gaming the I20's since they came out and have found them to be a better fit for me than my previous G20's (similar h'cap), I have however ordered G25 4&5 irons to see if I can get a little more consistency there. Turf interaction is great with these irons and sound and feel on well struck balls is awesome, the one thing that amazes me is the forgivness on mishits the sound and feel clearly announces less than perfect contact but the ball still seems to surrender little distance.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

The wide G20 sole has nothing to do with hitting the ball fat. If anything, a wide sole will help keep the club from digging and help you when you hit behind the ball.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

You already have the right clubs if your missing fat but if something else suits your eye better and you don't want to work on your swing definitely try out the i20's. I played the i20's last year and think they offer decent forgiveness yet I did order the G25 4-6 irons last week & plan on playing a mixed set. I have only hit the G25's indoors but seem to be the same as the G20's on performance wise off the mats, just look alot better. I think your handicap could definitely handle the I20's. Others to consider might be JPX 825 Pro's. Good Luck on your search!

G410 LST 9* Even Flow 75 
G410 LST 14.5* Even Flow 85
G410 19* Even Flow 85
HMB 4-PW SteelFiber 110
T20 50* & T20 54* SteelFiber 125
Bigfoot 60" SteelFiber 125
2 Ball Fang
Z-Star 

Thank you for the helpful replies. I think I may be hitting fewer fat shots with the i20s not so much because the club is better at avoiding them but because I am "seeing" the ball better with the thinner club and maybe focusing a bit better. Does that make sense? A mixed set actually sounds very interesting with G20s or 25s in the long irons an i20 s in the U-6 irons.

[quote name='stuart374' timestamp='1362369638' post='6542521']
Thank you for the helpful replies. I think I may be hitting fewer fat shots with the i20s not so much because the club is better at avoiding them but because I am "seeing" the ball better with the thinner club and maybe focusing a bit better. Does that make sense? A mixed set actually sounds very interesting with G20s or 25s in the long irons an i20 s in the U-6 irons.
[/quote]

It definitely makes sense as I have noticed the same when hitting Ping's S56's @ a demo. I tend to focus more knowing there is not much room for error and I was flushing them. They were more forgiving than expected & it seemed like I could work them easily. But I know on off days I would be dead in the water with blades. It sounds like the i20's would be a great fit for you & possibly mixed with some G25's if you struggle with your long irons even though many i20 users love the long irons. Pings prices are the same no matter how many you order. Go to your local dealer & get some numbers, you will happy in the long run.

G410 LST 9* Even Flow 75 
G410 LST 14.5* Even Flow 85
G410 19* Even Flow 85
HMB 4-PW SteelFiber 110
T20 50* & T20 54* SteelFiber 125
Bigfoot 60" SteelFiber 125
2 Ball Fang
Z-Star 

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1362361296' post='6541597']
The wide G20 sole has nothing to do with hitting the ball fat. If anything, a wide sole will help keep the club from digging and help you when you hit behind the ball.
[/quote]

+1

I went to i20s from blades because my misses with blades were fat. Wider sole helps fat misses.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

I changed from i20s to G25s 4-UW, for me i found them just as nice to look at, finish is amazing, much thinner top line than the G20s, cant see any off the back of the club from the 4-iron down, bit more offset than the i20s, way less than the G20s, and very very forgiving and easy to hit, very very impressed with the G25s, they are sort of inbetween the G20s and the i20s......

TM M4 10.5 evenflow 6.0
Cobra F7 3 wood
Cobra F7 hybrid
Cobra forged tec black 4-GW
Cobra black wedges 54, 58
Evnflow ER2

[quote name='naths' timestamp='1362384271' post='6543181']
I changed from i20s to G25s 4-UW, for me i found them just as nice to look at, finish is amazing, much thinner top line than the G20s, cant see any off the back of the club from the 4-iron down, bit more offset than the i20s, way less than the G20s, and very very forgiving and easy to hit, very very impressed with the G25s, they are sort of inbetween the G20s and the i20s......
[/quote]
The G25s sound like a great compromise. Thans

I was looking into moving to one of these irons from my G15's this year. The look is improved in the G25's and sounded really promising to me. When I demoed them I hit them exactly the same as my current clubs. I found no reason to "upgrade" other than a nicer looking bag, IMO. I really liked the i20's as they did what I was looking for. Lower flight, and thinner soles, but I don't care for the finish and all the problems associated with it when they first came out. Ping says the issues were taken care of and I'm sure they were. My new plan is to hold out till next spring and hope the i25's come out in a similar profile, and progressive set as the current i20, but with the non-plated stainless steel finished like the g25. They would be the ultimate iron for me. If that doesn't happen at least I should be able to get the i20's cheaper.

[quote name='naths' timestamp='1362384271' post='6543181']
[/quote]

With G25's, you CAN see the sole on the 4 and 5 iron. Same as G20. The G25 sole width isn't narrower until you progress though the set to the shorter clubs.

As for offset, the G25 is identical to the G20 until, again, you get to the short irons. Then, it's marginally less.

No disrespect, but in my opinion, the G25's are pure G-series. They play virtually identical to the earlier G's. They are slimmed down on the sole and top line, but they are G's, not in between the G20 and i20. BTW, if anyone wants such as set, look for a set of Cleveland CG7's.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I agree with the folks saying the G20 sole helps prevent a fat shot. Nothing will on soft fairways but once things firm up a bit that sole will be your friend.

Those who say they can't stand the look of the G series behind a ball are looking at the wrong thing.

Ping G400 LST mitsubishi Kurokage titleist 915 Three Mitsubishi Diamana Bridgestone J15 Mitsubishi Fubuki Adams 9031 Super Mitsubishi Diamana Mizuno M5 KBS 120 Mizuno S5 50º Mizuno T7 54º Calaway MD4 60º putters - rotating staff of near do wells and misfits