2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway Connect-Easy

ck25

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='caseFSU' timestamp='1363808491' post='6652333']
Can anyone speak on the negative review from Amazon about the device being for smaller arms/people? Would this thing fit someone who is 6'3 230 and pretty built? TIA
[/quote]

I am 6'2" and 220 pounds and it works fine for me. I'll admit that I don't have massive biceps though.

[quote name='caseFSU' timestamp='1363808491' post='6652333']
Can anyone speak on the negative review from Amazon about the device being for smaller arms/people? Would this thing fit someone who is 6'3 230 and pretty built? TIA
[/quote]

It fits tight on me and definitely won't fit over a long-sleeve shirt or jacket. I might see about adding some material and velcro to the arm band.

[quote name='irish jim' timestamp='1363810318' post='6652537']
Could Jim go into a little more detail as to how the pivot brings the arms down into the delivery position. Is there a danger of coming over the top if the arms do not move downwards as the torso rotates. I sometimes get shanks if I do nothing with my arms .
[/quote]

You of course have to first master a proper backswing and arrive in the correct position at the Top for "doing nothing with the arms" to work. There are no easy answers or quick fixes or magic moves in the 3D jigsaw puzzle that is the golf swing. If you are in the right Top position, the arms actually do not need to "drop" with any kind of independent of the body motion. Part of your Pivot is tilting spine to the right, which helps to bring the arms downward. But - if you do a big OTT move with too early firing and too fast a speed of shoulder girdle, then of course your path will be way out to in, which can cause a shank.

Everything in the golf swing cannot always be reduced to just "mechanics" - which is the basic premise of probably 99% of posts on this board. It is the speed and sequenceing of the body parts that also play a really big role.

Not a teacher/pro here but recently bought the Callaway Connect and for me it is the real deal. It's really an old drill in a new package. I've seen it suggested to use a belt around your midsection with your arm through it, or rubber tubing connecting your right arm to your belt. This accomplishes that without the discomfort and with much greater setup ease.

The caveat is that if you are a down the line slinger of the club with active hands/forearms (a la Mickelson) then this probably isn't the product for you (or maybe some would argue its exactly what you need, but that is a philosophical debate that I avoid). I know I like the connected pivot driven swing, so this is perfect for me.

Like many training aids, it won't automatically correct a disconnected right elbow. But, it forces you into a position so that you can FEEL what it's like and FEEL that you don't need to flip, cast, sling, etc to get good compression and power. The "training" comes in when you try to recreate that FEEL without it. You go back and forth (I like 3 with, 1 without) until you FEEL the same thing without it. I capitalize feel because for me that seems like it would be the hardest thing to teach (it was the hardest for me to learn). I could read all the descriptions on here I wanted, but no one can tell you in words how to recreate a feel on your own. That's what this does it artifically creates the correct feel.

It's like a law professor teaching you the law. Learning it is the first step, but you haven't accomplished anything until you can apply the law to various situations on your own. This will show you what connected feels like, but it will take time before you can execute it yourself.

Overall, I'd say great training aid (for learning the pivot driven swing) and for $12.99 it is one of the first aids I've seen that wasn't obnoxiously priced.

The advertising for this thing says that it's good for "short irons and wedges". While I would think it might be tough to use with the longer clubs, driver, fairways, etc., has anyone seen improvement in distance and accuracy in those clubs as well, especially driver? As we've seen in the videos posted, the concept is the same.

Taylormade Qi10 LS : Ventus+ Blue
Taylormade Stealth Plus : Ventus Velocore Blue 7X
Taylormade SIM2 Rescue - AD-IZ 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW : MCA MMT 125X
Taylormade MG 50/54/58 : MCA MMT 125X
Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5X

[quote name='JLew' timestamp='1364215292' post='6687111']
The advertising for this thing says that it's good for "short irons and wedges". While I would think it might be tough to use with the longer clubs, driver, fairways, etc., has anyone seen improvement in distance and accuracy in those clubs as well, especially driver? As we've seen in the videos posted, the concept is the same.
[/quote]

I've tried it and worked ok with the longer clubs. When I get to the 7 and up I just use a small head cover under my left arm (lefty). I can get enough extension with the head cover but not the connect-easy.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

this thread has me interested...I may have to swing by my Target to see if I can find one of these devices. Thanks for all the useful feedback

D - 10.5° Paradym Ai Smoke Tensei AV Blue 55

F - 20° Paradym Heavenwood Ventus TR Blue 7
H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

I - 5-G JPX 923 HM KBS Tour Lite

W - 54/58 CBX2 Black Satin KBS HI-REV 2.0 115
P - Toulon Seattle w/ H1 Hosel

B - Titleist Pro V1

ALL CARRIED, DRUG OR DRIVEN IN A...BIG MAX DRi LiTe <-HYBRID-> Golf Bag

Though my time with this has been limited, I can see where it will help with some time for sure. I've been doing nothing but 9 to 3 drills in my living room with it and haven't hit any balls at the range, but once I take about 10 swings with it on and remove it I can really feel the difference.

My next 4-5 full swings with a 8 iron without it feel perfect in that the swing is sequenced and my lower body is starting the downswing and the arms follow afterwards.

I plan on just trying to drill that feeling in at home and take it out to the range some as well.

16' M1 Fuji Pro TS 60x
915f 15* D+ 80x
915h 19* D+ 90x
Pro Black CB1 4-PW PX 6.0
RTX 3 50* S400
SM6 54*. 58* C Taper 120
Works Limited #7

[quote name='OhioGolfDude' timestamp='1364243923' post='6691781']
this thread has me interested...I may have to swing by my Target to see if I can find one of these devices. Thanks for all the useful feedback
[/quote]

I just went and grabbed one this afternoon. I have only made some swings in my living room but I think it's helpful as long as you can take that feel and move it over to your full swing.

Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5X

[size=4][color=#000000]Wow, some things never change![/color]

[color=#000000]Jimmy Ballard developed this [b]exact[/b] device back in the early 80's (although his was white and called the "Connection") to help students understand his teaching methodology. I still have mine that I got from him when I attended a clinic he did in the Chicago area thirty years ago (1983).[/color][/size]

[quote name='caryk' timestamp='1364253679' post='6693257']
[size=4][color=#000000]Wow, some things never change![/color]

[color=#000000]Jimmy Ballard developed this [b]exact[/b] device back in the early 80's (although his was white and called the "Connection") to help students understand his teaching methodology. I still have mine that I got from him when I attended a clinic he did in the Chicago area thirty years ago (1983).[/color][/size]
[/quote]

Jimmy's connected the left arm to the chest as I understand it. It was a good product.

To everyone running out to Target, how about putting a golf glove under your right arm/pec like all the Tour players who work on this feel?

I've got the perfect belt for this - not sure if you've been getting these in the States, but in Asia they same common now - they're a quite stretchy belt with no actual holes, but the belt 'prong' (?) just goes through the elastic material. Very easy to adjust for golf practice - i tried it indoors before i left for work for a month or so...

like these
http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Elastic-Stretch-Belt-Brown/dp/B004KNLVZQ

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1364274663' post='6695853']
[quote name='caryk' timestamp='1364253679' post='6693257']
[color=#000000]Wow, some things never change![/color]

[color=#000000]Jimmy Ballard developed this [b]exact[/b] device back in the early 80's (although his was white and called the "Connection") to help students understand his teaching methodology. I still have mine that I got from him when I attended a clinic he did in the Chicago area thirty years ago (1983).[/color]
[/quote]

Jimmy's connected the left arm to the chest as I understand it. It was a good product.

To everyone running out to Target, how about putting a golf glove under your right arm/pec like all the Tour players who work on this feel?
[/quote]

I've done plenty of the glove in the armpit drill as well. For $13, I think my vote goes towards the ease of throwing this thing on (ie no picking up dropped gloves on the follow through swing after swing for me...). A little more "forceful" than the glove drill.

Btw, played Raven when I was out in Phoenix a couple weeks ago, liked it a lot. The greens were running very quick, probably the quickest we played all week.

Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5X

Mine arrived yesterday and I took it to the range. Started with chips and pitches around the short game area. Worked up to some 9 to 3 wedges, then took it off. What an awesome difference! This aid actually allows me what staying connected feels like. Further, using this feel I was able to focus on Monte's deep hip turn and wow!!! Today was the Callaway demo day at the club and I wanted to try out the new toys but moreover wanted a little free launch monitor time. I typically avoid these so as to not embarrass myself with all the guys waiting their turn and watching the action. No embarrassment today. I was really bombing things. Sure, I had my misses but I nailed many more that I missed. The new Callaway drivers and fairways are nice to be sure but I told their guy the best product I've run across from them is this device. $12.00 elastic strap or $300 driver? While I may still pick up the driver, I'm sure glad I ran across this thread. As someone who needs to feel the right things this just works. At least for me...and at least for today.

Got 1 tonight from Target. I'll report back on progress...

D - 10.5° Paradym Ai Smoke Tensei AV Blue 55

F - 20° Paradym Heavenwood Ventus TR Blue 7
H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

I - 5-G JPX 923 HM KBS Tour Lite

W - 54/58 CBX2 Black Satin KBS HI-REV 2.0 115
P - Toulon Seattle w/ H1 Hosel

B - Titleist Pro V1

ALL CARRIED, DRUG OR DRIVEN IN A...BIG MAX DRi LiTe <-HYBRID-> Golf Bag

I have this tendency but what I discovered was that it forced a more complete shoulder turn rather than an army inside takeaway. Playing tomorrow and will warm up with this. I'll report tomorrow. It isn't magic, it just allowed me to understand the feel of really being connected without feeling restricted. The glove in the pit drill didn't quite do it, neither did tucking the shirt quite accomplish the same feel.

I have this device, it is really that good!

Creates an amazing feel of compactness and connection.

I am learning more and more that a compact swing beats a long swing any day. A long swing for the average golfer is just wasted effort and makes centered contact a whole lot harder.

Amazng that with a less than paraell swing, how you lose no distance and compress the ball a whole lot further.

Feels awkward swinging with this device, but it really ingrains a controlled, connected swing.

Playing the best golf of my life right now with a less than paralell, short swing. Wasted a lot of time trying to emulate the swings of the "big boys", a total waste of time.