2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Hilton Head Palmetto Dune (June)

Big Ben

So taking the family for a summer vacation to Hilton Head June 15-22, the boss lady is allowing me to play 2 rounds so I want to make them count!! Like to make tee times now so I'm set for early mornings, where should I book and anyone out there have a good hookup? If you have a local game let me know if you need a 4th!! I'm a little crazy, 44yrs old and play off a solid 4 index...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOod advise. I was down there a couple of weeks ago and will actually be down there the same week you are. I love the Jones course at PD. Harbour Town is a course you should play but it kind of drives me crazy. Everytime I play it, I ask why do I come back here. THere are just a couple of things that drive me crazy but it is a fun and challenging course. Well worth at least one play.

Off island we like Old South and HH National. I think when we are down in two weeks we will play Jones, CC of HH and maybe Oldfield.

Heron point is a great course too. I played it right after the Pete Dye renovation and thought it was really good compared to the old Sea Marsh course. The greens are VERY penal and you must stay below the hole, IMO.

BTW, lots of times I enjoy going to the Sea Pines resort just to practice. I think it's one of the best practice facilities I've been able to go to with the exception of Sea Island, GA. Check it out if time permits. The wind always blows on that range, so it's fun to hit some golf shots practicing. Good Luck.

I highly endorse the RTJ Palmetto Dunes course and Harbourtown.

If you can do it, Melrose on Daufuskie is an awesome course, and taking the ferry ride over, playing your round, and ferry ride back is a lot of fun. However...it is a full day affair - the ferry ride is 40 minutes each way, so if you add that to 5+ hours to warm up and play a round, you are looking at 8-10 hours (you are also subject to the ferry schedule). The other resort course that reportedly just reopened is Bloody Point - it is a good track, but can't compare to Melrose. Finally, there is Haig Point Country Club on Daufuskie, which is a private course that still allows some resort-style play: on the plus side, the ferry ride to Haig Point is much faster (15 minutes), but I did not think the course was any great shakes - I would play Melrose or Bloody Point, even with the longer ferry ride, by far.

I like Heron Point, but In my opinion, it still isn't a great course - Dye redid it, then adjusted it 2 years later - but it's like a course that can't figure out if it's supposed to be an easy resort course or a penal tough test of golf (it's more the latter than the former).

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I really appreciate the feedback guys, I'm getting excited to play these tracks! Believe it or not this is my first trip to HH and everyone always raves about the area, my kids are excited to visit as well...BB :)

While I haven't been to HH in a while, I used to go ~2x a year. I highly recommend Old South (people tend to overlook this great course because it is just off the island), Melrose (Daufuski Island - Free Ferry Available), and Harbortown. Sea Pines Ocean Couse is also a fun but very tough track.

If you can time a round at Old South during high tide it becomes even better!

I like the idea of hiring a Zodiac. Never thought of that. The entire resort went belly up a few years ago. They had one guy keeping it alive and people who lived down there were dropping off gas etc. It was a disaster. I know somebody bought them but I don't think they have opened the hotel yet. I'm also interested in hearing how the course is doing. We used to go over there every year. It's a nice boat ride. Nothing beats playing a round on a nice course and then enjoying a cocktail on the boat ride back!

As others have said, it's a FULL day but in my opinion worth it. It all depends on the condition of the course.

As far as staying in Sea Pines or Palmetto Dunes, it all depends on what you are looking for. There are more oceanfront condo's in PD than in Sea Pines. If it's a beach vacation with some golf you are looking for, then PD is the place to be. If it's a golf trip and your not really looking for beach time, then you could go either way.

All good stuff, yes it's a family vacation on the beach with a sprinkle of golf mixed in, I'm happy to hear the Mrs found a nice location on the water. Trust me, I'm pleased just be down there and not working! I can tell that folks have mixed feelings about Harbour Town Golf Links but after watching it on the boob-tube for so many years its a bucket list kinda thing, I just want to make sure wherever I play is in great shape and not punched...BB

[quote name='Bulldogdoc' timestamp='1363745202' post='6647699']
Even if the greens are punched, you ra still playing golf in HHI.
[/quote]

That's kind of how I look at it. We have been going down the last two weeks of June for 17 years and I just accept that the greens won't be the best. Doesn't bug me that much. I try to book my tee times based on when they punch them. If they punched them yesterday, I will pass but I don't worry about a couple of weeks out.

See if your pro can swing a time at either Berkley Hall, Colleton River or Belfair. All 3 have 36 holes and are great. Off island in Bluffton buts its only 15-20 minutes depending on where you are staying. You will pass all 3 when you drive into HHI. Outside HT or Long Cove if you are looking for the best courses these are the ones.

[quote name='golfheaven69' timestamp='1364155675' post='6680081']
See if your pro can swing a time at either Berkley Hall, Colleton River or Belfair. All 3 have 36 holes and are great. Off island in Bluffton buts its only 15-20 minutes depending on where you are staying. You will pass all 3 when you drive into HHI. Outside HT or Long Cove if you are looking for the best courses these are the ones.
[/quote]

+1000

Play these tracks.....you'll enjoy the day a lot more. Each has 36 holes and use different grasses so they're playable year round. They let HT go after the tx and if the greens are punched combined w the pace of play you'll regret it.

I'd rank the surroundings CR, Belfair, and last is Berkley Hall. All have practice areas that will blow you away.

Bingo, I think staying off the beaten path may be a better way to go, might be able to find a nice game too! thanks guys, that's why I asked! BB

For me I'd just get up early and go. Playing as a guest at an outstanding private clubs vs the tourist experience. I suggest trying to play at least one of them, get your wife some flowers, wine, and a bunch of fresh shrimp on the bridge on the day(s) you do it. Get her a massage, cook dinner, and take the kids for a few hours - whatever it takes. The old saying comes to mind "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

[quote name='againstthegrain' timestamp='1364432528' post='6710729']
[quote name='golfheaven69' timestamp='1364155675' post='6680081']
[/quote]

+1000

Play these tracks.....you'll enjoy the day a lot more. Each has 36 holes and use different grasses so they're playable year round. They let HT go after the tx and if the greens are punched combined w the pace of play you'll regret it.

I'd rank the surroundings CR, Belfair, and last is Berkley Hall. All have practice areas that will blow you away.
[/quote]

I've never played these courses quoted above so I have no opinion about them, but BB, in regard to everything else I've read in this thread, I don't think I've ever read a thread with so much advice I agreed with.

I love Harbour Town, and if you like the "Pete Dye-ey" sort of target course as I do you'll love it too. Somebody above compared Heron Point to RTJ Ocean, and I like them both -- a major difference though is that Heron Point is very narrow/condo lined, and RTJ is much more wide open. (I always enjoy RTJ"s Ocean after feeling the narrow pressure that Sea Pines' Ocean Course and Harbor Town provide.)

I thought that both Melrose and Bloody Pointe had closed, so I'm pleased to hear above that they are still in business. But yeah, they're a challenge to get to.