2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Orlando golf trip

golfdoc4

Just returned from short 4 day stay in Orlando. Weather was fabulous and played 3 rounds. My impressions: Southern Dunes was 1st course-in excellent shape, fastest greens, like putting on a billiard table, but painfully slow 5 1/2 hour round. Orange County National Panther Lake-most interesting course, in great condition, fast greens and great service Falcons Fire-disappointing,, not in great shape, especially the greens, least interesting of the 3 courses but the easiest. Better to play it on the 1st day for warm-up. Not a ball-washer on the course neither on the holes or on the cart.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='benkodi' timestamp='1363959078' post='6663403']
Regarding Southern Dunes, 8 minute tee times at $119 doesn't check out.
[/quote]
Yikes ...

I am going down in the middle of May and will be staying on International Drive right near Disney

What other tracks are worth checking out? - Not looking to spend an arm and a leg for greens fee's either. I know there are plenty of options but im looking for some insight.

Thanks

[quote name='afireinside' timestamp='1363960065' post='6663513']
[/quote]
Yikes ...

I am going down in the middle of May and will be staying on International Drive right near Disney

What other tracks are worth checking out? - Not looking to spend an arm and a leg for greens fee's either. I know there are plenty of options but im looking for some insight.

Thanks
[/quote][quote name='afireinside' timestamp='1363960065' post='6663513']
[/quote]
Yikes ...

Thanks
[/quote]Green fees should be more reasonable in May

Check golfnow a few days before. I played championsgate national last weekend. Paid $71 online, and it wasn't worth half that. Played Mystic Dunes yesterday. Loved the course design/routing, but the greens were in bad shape, and some of the contours on them are laughable. That being said, I'd tee it up there again for the price I paid, 55 bucks. And both OCN courses are everything everybody makes them out to be.

[sign here]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='grndslm' timestamp='1365087623' post='6759585']
Just to bump this a bit more. For those who've played recently, which courses are in the best shape. I'll be down next week and have a 2 day hall pass! Considering the New Course and Waldorf Astoria?

Thanks Darrin
[/quote]

Played New (for $35 via Golfnow) last week. Fairways are excellent but greens are slower than I'd prefer. Play the tips if that yardage is anywhere near your comfort zone - the course plays short except for a couple of holes. N/S at GC is actually a better course, imo, were it not for the appeal of the St Andrews connection to the New.

2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
Cally XHP 15°/Altus or 3Deep/Striper H2
Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
Cally XHP23/Altus hb or Cally X-Prototype 24°/Program 95
6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
Scratch D/D wedges
Bettinardi QB3

[quote name='afireinside' timestamp='1365616649' post='6802597']
TTT

Ok vacation is one month away - super psyched!!! 7 days of golf and umbrella drinks - lol

Any disney courses worth the scratch? - Only asking bc my girls said she would pay for me to play on one of them.

AFI
[/quote]

I wouldn't pay over $50 for any one of them. The consensus on this site is Magnolia and Osprey Ridge are the best. I like all 4 pretty equally. Check their website a week out as they have a new last minute tee times section that will get you some good deals. Also, LBV and Palm are on golfnow so you may be able to find a hot deal. I think the Disney 4 are better than most of the other courses in the area but the course design for all but Osprey is old florida - flat and moderately bunkered, which turns off some people.

The Bayou Club, Largo, FL
Lots of TMade clubs and an old SC putter

Just got back this past Tuesday from Orlando, play the Palmer course in the Orange lake resort where we stayed, real nice condition, carts had GPS,
greens were quick, $77.00 for 18
On the way out of the resort try Millers Orlando ALE house for food and drinks, huge menu and tons of beer and specials

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Bizzle80' timestamp='1367987358' post='6990080']
Anyone play golden bear club at Keene's? Or la cita? I can sign some comp round there when I travel next month but are they ok? I would rather pay than waste a day off on a bs course just because it's free.
[/quote]

I haven't played Keene's Point but had a buddy who worked there, he always raved about the course. It's on par with the other private clubs in the area like Lake Nona and Isleworth. It's just north of Disney. I wouldn't pass up a free round there.

I have never heard of La Cita and upon googling it, it's all the way out in Titusville which is near Cape Canaveral on the east coast, a bit of a hike from Orlando. Hopefully someone else can help you more.

[quote name='jnier75' timestamp='1368017485' post='6991012']
Anyone play golden bear club at Keene's? Or la cita? I can sign some comp round there when I travel next month but are they ok? I would rather pay than waste a day off on a bs course just because it's free.
[/quote]

I haven't played Keene's Point but had a buddy who worked there, he always raved about the course. It's on par with the other private clubs in the area like Lake Nona and Isleworth. It's just north of Disney. I wouldn't pass up a free round there.

I have never heard of La Cita and upon googling it, it's all the way out in Titusville which is near Cape Canaveral on the east coast, a bit of a hike from Orlando. Hopefully someone else can help you more.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback on Bear Club. Maybe play that and skip La Cita. What about the LPGA INternational courses? They got great reviews on golfnow...

[quote name='Bizzle80' timestamp='1368034466' post='6993086']
[quote name='jnier75' timestamp='1368017485' post='6991012']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback on Bear Club. Maybe play that and skip La Cita. What about the LPGA INternational courses? They got great reviews on golfnow...
[/quote]

LPGA are good courses for that area however if you'll be staying in downtown, UCF or the attractions area, you'll find better golf in the attractions area. LPGA is basically in Daytona. If you are in the northern sector of Orlando, Deltona Club and Victoria Hills are good options along with LPGA but conditions can be hit or miss for those two where as LPGA is typically good. If you need attractions course suggestions, there are tons of threads with various opinions in this subforum and I'd suggest picking your favorite architect and find a course he designed.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Orlando. Played three courses, Orange Lake Legends, Osprey Ridge at Disney, and Timacuan. Was very disappointed with Orange Lake Legends, but I got the round for cheap so it wasn't a total miss. Conditions weren't as good as I thought and greens were bad. Osprey Ridge was awesome. Great layout, very challenging, but also very fair. Really really liked that course. Timacuan isn't so much an Orlando course. I stayed in Longwood, so it was close. Really liked this course as well. Not in as good of shape as Osprey Ridge, but better then the Legends. A good place to play if you are in North Orlando or Longwood area.

• 2 weeks later...