2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

My first step into the JDM...

Bravo36

Well, after pondering over this for several weeks, and leaning this way and that way over different makes and models, I have ordered a new set of the OnOff Forged 2013 irons. I know they're not Miuras or Epons, but, for me, I think they will be a good fit...especially for a first time venture into something relatively new.

My game had kinda reached a crossroads of sorts. I'm not the best by a long shot, but manage to maintain a 6 hc. I've been striking the ball fairly well, but just felt like something was missing, something I couldn't quite put my finger on. That was until I hit friend's Miuras recently. The feel of the ball coming off the face was, well, for lack of a more defining term, just different, just better. Maybe the word I'm looking for is pure, mixed with a little bit of sweet, and a touch of awesome!

Knowing that I was not going to drop 2K on a set of Muiras. or anything else for that matter, I began investigating numerous options. I was fortunate enough to stumble across a particular thread on TourSpec Golf written by Matt (MoreBeerBetterGolf) that he had composed on a set of the Onoff Forgeds. I have to admit that I had never even heard of them before this. Not only was it a well written and thought out review, it gave me a mental picture of exactly what I was looking for in a JDM product. After looking at several other options that I was able to rule out, (admittedly due to cost), I gravitated back to the OnOffs. I found a distributer in the US (Eastern Golf-ask for Mike) that was more than willing to send me a couple demo irons as well as demo drivers at their expense.

I immediately fell in love with the 2013 Forged model as a forgiving, aim and shoot, butter soft dart thrower. I have to admit that I wasn't too crazy about the drivers, though I did hit them fairly well, just not markedly better that what I already have. Currently I swap between Nikes VR Ltd. Pro and VR_S, both shafted with UST VTS Blacks. so, after a mere 2-3 emails haggling over price, I found the folks at Eastern to be willing to compromise a little on pricing, and nice folks to deal with. The order was placed yesterday (Thursday), and shipped out (free shipping btw) 2 day FedEx and are due to land here tomorrow.

I realize this thread is worthless without pics (haha, beat you to the punch), so uopn receipt and a range session tomorrow, I'll upload a few photos of my new sticks. Special thanks to several GolfWRX members who were very informative and helpful in my first quest into JDM territory.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bravo my friend, you've tapped into the next phase of ho'velution! onoff designs great irons. may I recommend the af103? I guaranty you put a well fit shaft in that and there's nothing USdm that can come close. I believe EPONfreak has one for sale on the TSG bst...welcome to a new stage of the sickness!

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='freehb' timestamp='1363998486' post='6668251']
Bravo my friend, you've tapped into the next phase of ho'velution! onoff designs great irons. may I recommend the af103? I guaranty you put a well fit shaft in that and there's nothing USdm that can come close. I believe EPONfreak has one for sale on the TSG bst...welcome to a new stage of the sickness!
[/quote]

Congrats on your iron purchase...I'm sure you will enjoy the OnOff set.....but I would throw out a word of caution to you in that if you are hoping that a particular brand or "market" based iron is going to blow your socks off, you're looking for something that doesn't exist...if these are the irons that work best for you, then game on my friend! Enjoy...

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1364001536' post='6668627']
.but I would throw out a [i][u]word of caution to you [/u][/i]in that if you are hoping that a particular brand or "market" based iron is going to blow your socks off, you're looking for something that doesn't exist...
[/quote]

Seriously??? Thanks Dad. What would we do without your infinite wisdom?

Bravo36
[b]Congrats[/b] on the set of irons that have and will continue to blow your socks off. Looking
forward to pics and a playing review.

[quote name='idrive' timestamp='1364006756' post='6669125']
.but I would throw out a [i][u]word of caution to you [/u][/i]in that if you are hoping that a particular brand or "market" based iron is going to blow your socks off, you're looking for something that doesn't exist...
[/quote]

Bravo36
[b]Congrats[/b] on the set of irons that have and will continue to blow your socks off. Looking
[/quote]

I'm going to assume that was a rhetorical question, right? I'm not exactly sure why you always find it necessary to take a condescending stance...I'm am consistently amazed, however, by how easy it is to get under your skin...especially without any earnest attempt to do so...but,
I guess it's easier to be arrogant than intelligent...but I digress...

Like I said, enjoy your irons OP... I'm sure there isn't anything in the world which comes close...

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1364009311' post='6669383']
[/quote]

Bravo36
[/quote]

I'm going to assume that was a rhetorical question, right? I'm not exactly sure why you always find it necessary to take a condescending stance...I'm am consistently amazed, however, by how easy it is to get under your skin...especially without any earnest attempt to do so...but,

Like I said, enjoy your irons OP... I'm sure there isn't anything in the world which comes close...
[/quote]

Topeka, what was that saying about the pot and the kettle?

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[/quote]

Bravo36
[/quote]

[/quote]

Really? You had to throw that last line in? And you just got through calling someone else condescending...smh

Glad your new irons blow your socks off, OP. Hope they continue to do so. I'm a Miura fan but really wanted to give these a try. They look fantastic.

[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1364051515' post='6671265']
[/quote]

Bravo36
[/quote]

[/quote]

Really? You had to throw that last line in? And you just got through calling someone else condescending...smh

Glad your new irons blow your socks off, OP. Hope they continue to do so. I'm a Miura fan but really wanted to give these a try. They look fantastic.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know...that was a bit of a reach...but it was more a dig at iteach's comments than the OP....and not really condescending, just sarcastic...I guess it's the "self-righteous" JDM is the best....nothing else will ever come close BS which irritates me....it just simply isn't empirically true...yet, it's clear that some people believe that there are products which are "far and away" better than others....there just isn't any proof which validates this position...

[quote name='freehb' timestamp='1364043893' post='6670601']
[/quote]

Bravo36
[/quote]

[/quote]

Topeka, what was that saying about the pot and the kettle?
[/quote]

Depends...where were the pot and kettle forged???

"far and away"? maybe not, but there are some that do make superior products in terms of quality, tighter tolerances, and life cycles. i'm certain that almost any oem whether jdm or made in the USA of china can produce a similar product, but they would compromise their number one statistic (sales). and i do not foresee that happening in this lifetime. for the record, i could just as easily play a full bag of pings or the equivalent and be as content doing so. at the end of the day, they are all just sticks.

@therealping

You will really enjoy them. Unfortunately, once you venture into the JDM clubs, most guys don't go back. It is a very costly decision. Whether the differences are perceived or real, in my mind doesn't really matter. The bottom line is, I am more excited to hit my Miura irons, than I was any US product. It made me enjoy the game more, and that is all that matters. Let us know your thoughts after a few rounds. By the way, On Off forged irons are a top notch product, don't worry about the more expensive ones you passed up on.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[/quote]

Bravo36
[/quote]

[/quote]Here we go !

[quote name='Mizzy23' timestamp='1364054575' post='6671521']
"far and away"? maybe not, but there are some that do make superior products in terms of quality, tighter tolerances, and life cycles. i'm certain that almost any oem whether jdm or made in the USA of china can produce a similar product, but they would compromise their number one statistic (sales). and i do not foresee that happening in this lifetime. for the record, i could just as easily play a full bag of pings or the equivalent and be as content doing so. at the end of the day, they are all just sticks.
[/quote]

Thank you for posting this! This is a rational, objective and informed position....JDM is going to have better tolerances across the board...and they generally don't change/release new products quite as often...at the end of the day, like anything else, the question is "does the price you pay represent an even exchange for value?" Everyone is going to answer this differently....and if we all agreed, there really wouldn't be as much to talk about....

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1364056755' post='6671683']
[quote name='Mizzy23' timestamp='1364054575' post='6671521']
[/quote]

Thank you for posting this! This is a rational, objective and informed position....JDM is going to have better tolerances across the board...and they generally don't change/release new products quite as often...at the end of the day, like anything else, the question is "does the price you pay represent an even exchange for value?" Everyone is going to answer this differently....and if we all agreed, there really wouldn't be as much to talk about....
[/quote]
Indeed,

@therealping

Just deleted my last post and just want to apologize to the OP for contributing in taking his thread
off topic.

Nothing like the joy of new clubs regardless of the brand or cost. You demo'd and fallen
in love with a set of irons that are fantastic in every way. Just hate seeing anyone try and
sour that feeling.

Again, enjoy. May they be the best ever. (I know they will) :)

Clearly I will never be one of "you" - I'm happy in the 99%....and if we ever need a quality example of elitism oozing arrogance, here it is....you purchase things and don't ever need to think about whether or not your getting something of equal value?? That makes it very easy to get out of touch with reality...or at least the reality of the majority of the world....

This was in response to idrive's "deleted" post which he blocked me from...

Again, OP enjoy your irons...sorry if my opinions have soured your enthusiasm...I never thought I had the ability to do that....

Great choice and welcome to the world of JDM!
The OnOffs are fabulous irons, I currently have a 2011 6-iron with a Roddio i10 here for testing. If it wasn´t for my 2 Epon sets and the Yamahas, that are on the way... the OnOffs would be on top of my list. On the very top. Alone.

Good thing you don´t let these guys opinion get to you. I love the JDM products, looks, quality, feel... for ME they are priced reasonable, not worse than the "big OEM" $1000 dollar set off the rack where all specs are off, has fancy stickers on it or whatever. To each his own, everybody buys what he likes best and can afford. No need to hate one way or the other.

... thanks for the pictures. :)

Yamaha V202 Tour - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha v FW 14° - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha IFF 19° - Tour AD DI-7
Epon Personal 3-P - DG Pro
Yamaha Inpres X 52° 58° - DG Spinner
Golds Factory SUS 303 custom
WITB Link