Why can't i sew my name into my bag?

gentles

PGA Pro says i can't
I was talking to my PGA pro recently, and got into an arugment as he claims I cannot sew my name into my bag (like most pros have) as it is deemed advertising the brand of the bag, which is a breach of ameteur status. My argument was that it is my property and i can do what i want. I dont want to sew my name into my bag, i just think it is ridiculous that I can lose my Ameteur status if do. Does anyone have any info about this topic? Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how it works with the USGA, but here in the UK you can have your name on the bag but if you play in any tournaments you have to cover it up.

Alot if not all companies usually refuse to embroid your name unless you are pro, but you can always get it done independantly.

I was considering getting mine done but going to wait until i turn pro, that way its less hassle.

R and A Rules of Amateur Status:

http://www.randa.org/rules/amateur/PDF/LowHandicapPDF.pdf

A “low handicap” golfer wishing to retain Amateur

Status may:

1. enquire as to likely prospects as a professional golfer.

2. work as a shop assistant with a professional golfer,pr ovided he does not

infringe the Rules in any other way.

3. work as a caddie,g olf administrator or golf course designer.

4. play in any stage of a qualifying competition for a Professional Tour

provided he waives his right to any prize money,in writing and in advance

of play.

5. enter a voluntary sweepstake.

6. give instruction in playing golf on a voluntary basis.

7. accept a prize of retail value of not more than £500.

8. accept symbolic prizes which are permanently and distinctively engraved

and are,ther efore,ex empt from the prize limit.

9. accept equipment free of charge from a manufacturer,pr ovided no

advertising is involved.

10. have his name on his golf bag in addition to the name of the manufacturer

of the bag.

11. accept free food and drink at a golf competition,pr ovided the same is

offered to all competitors.

12. receive financial support from a member of his family.

13. receive expenses while playing in a team event.

14. receive financial assistance for participation in individual events provided

such funds are lodged with,and disbursed by,the national or county

union.

15. receive expenses for participating in an exhibition in aid of a recognized

charity.

16. accept a golf scholarship if its terms and conditions have been approved by

the Governing Body of the golfer’s country.

17. accept a grant or award to assist with golfing expenses provided such

funds are lodged with,and disbursed by,the national or county union

USGA Decisions on Rules of Amateur Status

http://www.usga.org/playing/amateur_status...es/amdec06.html

6-2/3.5 Issue of Free Equipment to Amateur Golfers - Policy

Q. Is it permissible for a player of golf skill or golf reputation to accept free equipment?

A. Yes. An amateur golfer of golf skill or golf reputation may accept golf balls, clubs, merchandise, clothing or shoes free of charge or at a discounted rate from a manufacturer, provided no advertising is involved (Note to Rule 6-2).

With regard to golf bags, it is permissible for the bag to bear the name of the manufacturer in large letters, but if it does, the player must not also arrange for his own name to appear on the bag in large letters. if he does, he may be deemed to be advertising the merchandise of that manufacturer and will be liable to forfeit his amateur status. The same applies to bag covers and other luggage.

If an amateur golfer purchases the golf bag himself and, in addition to the name of the manufacturer in large letters, puts his own name in large letters, there would be no breach of the Rule provided that player does not have golf skill or golf reputation.

Amateur golfers of golf skill or reputation are warned that they must, on no account, sell golf balls or other equipment received free of charge or at a discount from manufacturers; if they do, they will be liable to forfeit amatuer status for a breach of the Definition of an Amateur Golfer.

I was talking to my PGA pro recently, and got into an arugment as he claims I cannot sew my name into my bag (like most pros have) as it is deemed advertising the brand of the bag, which is a breach of ameteur status. My argument was that it is my property and i can do what i want. I dont want to sew my name into my bag, i just think it is ridiculous that I can lose my Ameteur status if do. Does anyone have any info about this topic? Thanks.

Tell your pro he's a ****** bag. Sorry for the term but that is a ****** bag thing to tell you. You can do what you want to do if you pay for your own equipment. As far as putting your name on the bag you have already its tough. Most of the time you have to take the bag apart to stitch the name in. Thats why most embroidery shops won't do it. 99% of the time you have to order the golf bag from company to put your name on it.

Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch

I dont see why you cant have it on there when you play. How do they know you didnt buy it? I thinks it retarded to have to cover your name up on the bag in play. If you are in an amature(hopefully not mispelled) only event, than I would think you are an amature. Its your bag, do what you want. Embroid it and shove it in his face!

#YumaMade #YTown

provided that player does not have golf skill or golf reputation[/b].[/color]

That last line is funny as hell.

http://www.usga.org/playing/amateur_status...ur_status.html#

Definitions

Golf Skill or Reputation

It is a matter for the USGA to decide whether a particular amateur golfer has golf skill or reputation.

Generally, an amateur golfer is only considered to have golf skill if he:

(a) has had competitive success at a local or national level or has been selected to represent his national, state or regional golf association; or

(b) competes at an elite level.

Golf reputation can only be gained through golf skill and does not include prominence for service to the game of golf as an administrator.

When we were talking about this stuff in the Tadd thread someone brought up an adendum that was added by the USGA that basically says you can have your name and the bag manufacturers name, but not a bunch of other company logo's (i.e. NASCAR style). Embroid away!

I couldn't find any addendum, but I did find the "company logo" decision. But it doesn't talk about sewing a name on a bag:

6-2/14 Commercial Logos on Golf Bags

Q. Is it permissible for an amateur golfer of golf skill or reputation to carry a golf bag with a commercial logo on it?

A. Generally, a golfer of golf skill or reputation would be in breach of the Rules if he used a golf bag with a commercial logo on it (Rule 6-2 – Lending Name or Likeness). However, in the following specific circumstances there would be no breach of the Rules:

The bag was purchased with the logo as an intrinsic part of the bag (e.g., the manufacturer’s name); or

The bag was issued to him as a member of a team (see Decision 6-2/15). (Revised – Formerly 6-2/3)

I had a strong feeling that he was talking out of his a**. He told me to look in the rules book, but i thought i'd come to golfwrx for human answers. I wasnt meaning embroidered by the manufacturer, just going down the road to a shop and getting it done for ten dollars or so

Ummmm, I don't think he is talking out of his arse. The rules say (unless someone can point to the "addendum" excluding this situation) that if you have "golf skill or golf reputation" (USGA's decision on whether you do or not) it IS a violation of the Rules of Amateur Status. So basically, you are risking your status.

Who's more likely to be talking out of their arse - a PGA pro, or a bunch of random people on the internet (myself included)?

Nevermind, found the Rules Decision for this situation:

6-2/13 Policy on Manufacturers’ Names on Golf Bags

Q. May a player of skill or reputation arrange for his own name to appear on his golf bag in addition to the name of the manufacturer of the bag?

A. Yes. The golf bag must be of the type that is normally available at a retail source and bear the name of the manufacturer only in addition to the name of the player. The golf bag must not bear the name of any company other than that of the bag manufacturer.

Furthermore, it is permissible for a golf bag of a player representing a college or university to bear in addition to the manufacturer’s name and/or player’s name, the name or logo of the college or university. (New)

What wxactly do they mean by this? "by provided that player does not have golf skill or golf reputation." so If I am a scratch player, and I play in a tournament, I can't have my name on the bag BUT If I am a 10 handicap or higher I can?

Rich

I think what theyare saying is that if you suck, you aren't really advertising for the manufacturer because manufacturer's pick people who are good to endorse them.

Sweet! For once my golf suckage works FOR me instead of against me. Now if I can just find an OEM to sponsor me!

What wxactly do they mean by this? "by provided that player does not have golf skill or golf reputation." so If I am a scratch player, and I play in a tournament, I can't have my name on the bag BUT If I am a 10 handicap or higher I can?

Rich

I think what theyare saying is that if you suck, you aren't really advertising for the manufacturer because manufacturer's pick people who are good to endorse them.

Sweet! For once my golf suckage works FOR me instead of against me. Now if I can just find an OEM to sponsor me!

Thanks Charlie!!! Well, when I get my staff bag, I am going to get my name on it, But I will bring Duct tape with me to the tournaments I will be playing in, just in case

Rich

When we were talking about this stuff in the Tadd thread someone brought up an adendum that was added by the USGA that basically says you can have your name and the bag manufacturers name, but not a bunch of other company logo's (i.e. NASCAR style). Embroid away!

I had a strong feeling that he was talking out of his a**. He told me to look in the rules book, but i thought i'd come to golfwrx for human answers. I wasnt meaning embroidered by the manufacturer, just going down the road to a shop and getting it done for ten dollars or so

Ummmm, I don't think he is talking out of his arse. The rules say (unless someone can point to the "addendum" excluding this situation) that if you have "golf skill or golf reputation" (USGA's decision on whether you do or not) it IS a violation of the Rules of Amateur Status. So basically, you are risking your status.

Who's more likely to be talking out of their arse - a PGA pro, or a bunch of random people on the internet (myself included)?

Nevermind, found the Rules Decision for this situation:

6-2/13 Policy on Manufacturers’ Names on Golf Bags

Q. May a player of skill or reputation arrange for his own name to appear on his golf bag in addition to the name of the manufacturer of the bag?

A. Yes. The golf bag must be of the type that is normally available at a retail source and bear the name of the manufacturer only in addition to the name of the player. The golf bag must not bear the name of any company other than that of the bag manufacturer.

Furthermore, it is permissible for a golf bag of a player representing a college or university to bear in addition to the manufacturer’s name and/or player’s name, the name or logo of the college or university. (New)

Yup, that's what was posted in the "Tad / Amatuer Status" thread.

My friend had "Got Beer?" put on his brand new staff bag....quite funny actually.....stupid....but funny.