2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

High Speed DIGITAL Camera

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1369013331' post='7066214']
Shutter speed is absolutely imperative. You can shoot video at 400fps but if your shutter speed is 1/400 sec then you are going to get a blurry shaft, guaranteed. Many of these cameras that will do 120 and 240 fps do not have manually adjustable shutter speeds and have an automatically selected shutter speed depending on the light available. Even though they select 1/2000 sec, though, that shutter speed is still not quite fast enough to see the clubface well. I have a Canon that will do 240 fps and when the shutter is at 1/2000, I can still have trouble. Yet, with my Casio I can select 60 fps and a shutter of 1/40,000 and can see the shaft just fine.
[/quote]

In low light situations when using the 120/240fps setting, does the Canon leave the shutter at 1/2000 and adjust for exposure by changing ISO and f stop? If it doesnt always do this, does it usually?

Thanks

[quote name='Frank Ricard' timestamp='1369014072' post='7066272']
[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1369013331' post='7066214']
Shutter speed is absolutely imperative. You can shoot video at 400fps but if your shutter speed is 1/400 sec then you are going to get a blurry shaft, guaranteed. Many of these cameras that will do 120 and 240 fps do not have manually adjustable shutter speeds and have an automatically selected shutter speed depending on the light available. Even though they select 1/2000 sec, though, that shutter speed is still not quite fast enough to see the clubface well. I have a Canon that will do 240 fps and when the shutter is at 1/2000, I can still have trouble. Yet, with my Casio I can select 60 fps and a shutter of 1/40,000 and can see the shaft just fine.
[/quote]

In low light situations when using the 120/240fps setting, does the Canon leave the shutter at 1/2000 and adjust for exposure by changing ISO and f stop? If it doesnt always do this, does it usually?

Thanks
[/quote]

No , actually it is just the opposite. I rarely get the camera to auto select 1/2000 sec unless it is a crystal clear day and I am not in any shadowy area. It seems like almost every time I went to use the Canon, it was not perfectly sunny. I could not manually set the ISO or f either. Casio, whole different ball game, everything is manually adjustable, so you are not dependent on the sun lighting. I am glad I bought the Casio. I love to video my swing, as well as my sons, baseball swings, etc and some buddies occasionally. The Casio is the bomb.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1369014349' post='7066308']
I do need contacts... ThXs.. No really.. Nice swing.

I get a pair of free chopsticks too. No I heard it was a solid high speed camera
[/quote]

Thanks. Maybe no need for contacts, but cataract surgery may be in your future. Can't wait to see your videos with the new camera. Dan gave me some stuff to work on so I will have the Casio out all week.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

Hstead, thanks for the feedback. You would think it would automatically try to keep the shutter at 1/2000 in that video setting. Although I think I read somewhere that the video setting cant be used above 100 ISO, which would explain a lot.

So, just out of curiosity, when the Canon is at 1/2000 and 120fps, how is the video?

[quote name='Frank Ricard' timestamp='1369014525' post='7066324']
Hstead, thanks for the feedback. You would think it would automatically try to keep the shutter at 1/2000 in that video setting. Although I think I read somewhere that the video setting cant be used above 100 ISO, which would explain a lot.

So, just out of curiosity, when the Canon is at 1/2000 and 120fps, how is the video?
[/quote]
[quote name='Frank Ricard' timestamp='1369014525' post='7066324']

[/quote]

When the sun is bright and the Canon camera selects 1/2000 at 120 fps it is pretty decent, and you can see quite a lot really. I do not want to make it sound like a bad camera, it is all about what you want to see really. Eagl1e uses his Canon at 120 fps all of the time and loves it. He gets what he needs. I just like to see a little more. The Casio is really really good. I would rate the Canon as a B- or so and the Casio FH25 an A, with the F1 being an A+.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

I've hit balls over the camera using that "grainy" 480p resolution and have been able to read the logo on the ball at 120fps as it flies past (what I always film at for HS) with the shutter speed cranked up to around 1/16000 or higher. Not trying to use my camera to measure the thread count of my pants. ;)

The only problem with the Casio's is longer term reliability. Both of mine had memory problems where you have to re-enter date/time when you either remove the battery or turn it on. Also finicky with finding auto focus when filming in HS mode

I just cancelled green casio ex zr200. Not great for golf swings, blurry. The one site said it is fine, vendor emailed me back and said no manual shutter..and they allowed me to cancel. Thank goodness for the casio thread..

Now I need to find a good camera in same price range Nikon 8200s great for 30fps 1080p... Not so good on high speed

Oh well

Ps..really wanted chop sticks too. :)

Very disappointed we still do not have affordable 120fps 720p cameras with manual shutter and none appears to be in sight.How hard can it be to add a manual shutter?I suspect it's because videos will be too dark using manual shutter with today's high megapixel sensors.The Casios were 10 megapixels and now they are nudging 20.

Casio obviously wasn't making money with their high speed cameras.Most consumers want picture quality and they were not renowned for that.

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1369023948' post='7067144']
Very disappointed we still do not have affordable 120fps 720p cameras with manual shutter and none appears to be in sight.How hard can it be to add a manual shutter?I suspect it's because videos will be too dark using manual shutter with today's high megapixel sensors.The Casios were 10 megapixels and now they are nudging 20.

Casio obviously wasn't making money with their high speed cameras.Most consumers want picture quality and they were not renowned for that.
[/quote]

All companies offering casio exfh100 seem a little shady to me on eBay.. I'm not going to send $680 via PayPal to Taiwan for this..I no they discontinued..but scared to send

Need to find a good camera for me..I guess coolpix not the best, but all I have

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1369024615' post='7067180']
I really know nothing about photography or cameras. Can someone please make this easy for me. What is a good camera, that will shoot quality swing videos, in most lighting conditions, FO/DTL, very easy interface and under $250?

Thank you
[/quote]

If you just film 1080p 30 fps..the nikon j1 is super solid.. For slo motion ..well over $1000'

[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1369024329' post='7067164']

[/quote]

All companies offering casio exfh100 seem a little shady to me on eBay.. I'm not going to send $680 via PayPal to Taiwan for this..I no they discontinued..but scared to send

[/quote]
Here's one for 485 new.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOXED-CASIO-EXILIM-HIGH-SPEED-EX-FH100-DIGITAL-CAMERA-SILVER-/271209506095?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item3f2558a52f

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1369025297' post='7067204']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Here's one for 485 new.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOXED-CASIO-EXILIM-HIGH-SPEED-EX-FH100-DIGITAL-CAMERA-SILVER-/271209506095?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item3f2558a52f
[/quote]

I know, Something about over seas to from Taiwan scares me... Know what I'm saying?

[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1369025112' post='7067192']
I really know nothing about photography or cameras. Can someone please make this easy for me. What is a good camera, that will shoot quality swing videos, in most lighting conditions, FO/DTL, very easy interface and under $250?

Thank you
[/quote]

If you just film 1080p 30 fps..the nikon j1 is super solid.. For slo motion ..well over $1000'
[/quote]

Thank you

[quote name='Chris Peterich' timestamp='1369025800' post='7067214']
[quote name='dap' timestamp='1369025297' post='7067204']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Here's one for 485 new.
[/quote]

I know, Something about over seas to from Taiwan scares me... Know what I'm saying?
[/quote]
This seller seems to have good feedback and you have protection from eBay and PayPal in case something goes wrong.The question is whether you want to pay 485 for a camera that sold for about 300 when it was released 3 years ago.

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1369030955' post='7067354']
This seller seems to have good feedback and you have protection from eBay and PayPal in case something goes wrong.The question is whether you want to pay 485 for a camera that sold for about 300 when it was released 3 years ago.
[/quote]

A lot of technology stands the test of time and is so well designed that it becomes more expensive (prized) as it gets older.

For example about 2 years ago I bought a HP OfficeJet Pro K5400 printer. It's a very simple machine only capable of black and color printing. The kicker is that it is extremely reliable, fast and efficient, using cartridges that are capable of over 2,000 pages that are dirt cheap.

When I bought the K5400 2 something years ago I got it brand new for $100 retail.

That same printer in USED condition today goes for over $175 in mediocre condition, $250-375 in good condition and for over $500 new.

[quote name='CourtJester' timestamp='1369012732' post='7066148']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1369012485' post='7066118']
The Casio will shoot 120 fps at very good quality. You talk like an authority yet don't know that FPS and blur have zero to do with each other
[/quote]

Neither of those Casio cameras you listed can shoot high speed footage at anything above 480p.

I'm not sure what "talking like an authority" has to do with stating technical facts.

Maybe you just enjoy grainy SD footage?
[/quote]
I think someone has resolution and ISO mixed up.

Thank you
[/quote]

The Canon Power Shot Elph HS110 will do mostly what you probably want. Eag1e, member on this site, loves his. There are several other guys that really like theirs too. I liked mine pretty well, but I am anal and just wanted something even better, so I bought the Casio. The Canon HS 110 can be bought for $140 easy on amazon or ebay brand new. It will do 120 and 240 fps and if the sun is bright it will auto select the 1/2000 sec shutter speed which will result in a pretty decent video that you can see pretty well. When I say you can see pretty well, I am talking about the shaft and club face on the downswing. You can see well enough to know what is going on. It is just that the Casio is really really good and the shutter can be manually set all the way up to 1/40,000 sec so you can see the nats wings moving as it flies near your shaft on the downswing.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[/quote]

Videos will not be too dark as long as you use a high enough ISO and open up the f stop. At this point more and more companies are providing high speed video options on P&S's, so the industry is moving that way... its would just appear their algorithms for controlling exposure in these settings aren't very advanced. As I said, Canon seems to lock in ISO100 on their video modes, which is why they need to alter shutter speed to correct for exposure, hence it is not 'manual'. This is weird to me, but theres a reason they are doing it I am sure.

Right, I managed to get some footage with the Sony Action Cam today. Conditions were actually pretty bad as it was really bright outside but dark under the cover of the range. I'm actually very impressed with the quality and you can clearly see club face positions and impact. I'll get a front on next time.

http://youtu.be/mb_ujBj4ELc

wow I cant believe those Casio EX FH100's go for 500.00 on ebay...I bought mine brand new in box off of Ebay last summer for around 300.00...I think the seller was from japan...others were selling for 250.00 but 75.00 shipping or it was 300.00 plus 25.00 shipping at the time...but most of sellers were from japan and few from China/Taiwan.

The EX FH100 is a great camera...I just started using this past week for first time...even bought one of the wireless SD cards so you can send video and pics to iphone or ipad wirelessly.

[quote name='arkyrab' timestamp='1369262510' post='7088160']
I asked this last night on Casio thread below without answer. I perhaps should have asked here; has anyone experience with Casio EX FC200S? Like others, I am reluctant to spend $1200 for FH25.
[/quote]

This thread has no conclusive evidence as to whether you can manually set the shutter: [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/661230-casio-fc-200s-high-speed-camera/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/661230-casio-fc-200s-high-speed-camera/[/url]

Either way its specs are pretty much the same as the Canon Elphs, except for a higher resolution 240fps. What really matters on the Casio's is the 1/40000 manual shutter speed setting. The EX FX200S has 1/2000... same as the Canons.

I knew I would eventually stumble on a camera that competed with the Casio FH25's that was actually available, and for the same price.... if not less.

[url="http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-FZ200K?t=overview"]http://shop.panasoni...200K?t=overview[/url]

Better resolution at 120fps and 240fps, 1/20000 shutter speed in movie mode, fixed 2.8 aperture... Its a better camera pretty much across the board, unless you are convinced you must have 1/40000 shutter speed. 475 shipped, from the US, BIN, brand new and never opened.

[quote name='Frank Ricard' timestamp='1369547876' post='7108826']
I knew I would eventually stumble on a camera that competed with the Casio FH25's that was actually available, and for the same price.... if not less.

[url="http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-FZ200K?t=overview"]http://shop.panasoni...200K?t=overview[/url]

Better resolution at 120fps and 240fps, 1/20000 shutter speed in movie mode, fixed 2.8 aperture... Its a better camera pretty much across the board, unless you are convinced you must have 1/40000 shutter speed. 475 shipped, from the US, BIN, brand new and never opened.
[/quote]
No manual shutter in high speed movie,only in 60p movie mode.

There are plenty of cameras on the market currently that does 120fps in 720p.None have manual shutter though.

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1369560954' post='7109058']
[quote name='Frank Ricard' timestamp='1369547876' post='7108826']

[/quote]
No manual shutter in high speed movie,only in 60p movie mode.

There are plenty of cameras on the market currently that does 120fps in 720p.None have manual shutter though.
[/quote]

Please link the ones that high shutter speeds that you are referring to.

While I 100% see the advantage to manual mode, esp as someone who shoots photography as a hobby, I dont see why this is the end all be all feature. If you understand how to properly expose your shot (and you can change settings to compensate for exposure with the panasonic) the camera should be shooting a high shutter speed the majority of the time you use it... especially with a fixed aperture lens.