2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

3 club Challenge... Which clubs would you bring??

[quote name='KNGR5150' timestamp='1389983221' post='8478783']
4 wood 8 iron putter
[/quote]

Exactly what I'd choose.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I'm headed out to play 3 club challenge. For me its always 19* hybrid, 7 iron and putter, the putter is super important to me since I just got a new one and because I just cant two-putt longer putts with a wedge. So at this point, 3 club challenge is gonna become 3 club and my new putter challenge.

But I have a form of A.D.D. that only happens when I think about golf, and I start to think, Well. if you're playing 3 clubs, you aren't really playing golf, so have fun, play four clubs, play five, f*** it, one long club and 6 wedges, no, well lets really make this fun then, why not play from the ladies tees, you always insist on the shortest tees the group can stomach, why not follow your own advice and play this 4 club challenge from the ladies tees...

When I can't come up with a good reason why not, I do it, and today it looks like I'm gonna play with 4 clubs from the ladies tees. Because I just got a new putter and that baby isn't staying home. And I don't want to chip with a 7. Today my set is a 19* hybrid, 7 iron, PW(47* MP-32) and my new #7WBW Putter. I haven't played a limited club game in a while so this should be fun.

Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme, Ozik Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S, 44.5"
PING G30 15.5*, Ping TFC 419 S 42.5
[size=4] Cobra Baffler Rail H 19* Fujikara Motore (65g S) 41.25"[/size]
Cleveland Golf CG7 Tour 4I-PW (TTDG X100 TI) white-black ndmc
Scratch 1018 50DD*, 55DD* Black/green Pure grips
Odessey Versa #7 WBW 36.5" Super Stroke Lite Slim 3.0

I had written a better write-up when I got back from the course but I can write about it again. Sometimes the NFL mobile add on GOLFWRX slows my computer so bad I only register one of every few keys I type and it looks like gibberish.

I went on my bike because I wanted to see how hard it would be to carry a golf bag with a bike, and I had the 4 clubs in a Nike stand bag, not sure the model, it has a missing piece that lets the legs its supposed to stand on bow out to far from the bag sometimes, but mostly it works, and with 4 clubs it had no issues.tr

As much as I would love to play the course from the red or Ladies tees I never have the balls to actually do it, I have no problem with the whites but something in me just doesn't have the manhood to say my name and check in and them inform them, "I'll be letting it fly from the gals tees today." Its my own problem and I know I'd enjoy seeing the parts of the course I'd play from if I did play the reds, but I never have the balls.

My local muni is 9 holes, so rather than make the loop twice I just usually play 9 at a time. The 1st is 323 from the whites, dogleg hard right at about 185, so its a weird shot, I usually try to slice a 5 iron around the corner, a bladed or punched shot with cut spin that lands at 155 and runs out to the right is perfect, so it makes perfect sense than that I took a 19* hybrid and I'd like to say over-cut but we'll say sliced it into the second fairway. Funny how golf works if you slice it bad enough which I did and I almost plan for, its only about a 105 shot over a short tree that never comes into it. I hit to about 20 feet and its an easy two putt because they don't change the flags enough and I know the putt by heart, I really don't have an excuse for missing it by a foot. Par on 1 though. That's solid.
The second is almost exactly like the first except the green is on a bigger hill and it doglegs the opposite way(to the left) at about 190 yards, so its a hybrid for me, and because its uphill its hard for me to hit it al the way through the fairway. The second tee is also where I had a little talk with myself about trusting my routine, which I decided I needed to have. My routine is nothing more than feeling my weight on the inside of my back foot and reminding myself to point the grip at the ball to keep a good plane while I picture the perfect shot. Then I have been taking a stronger grip, and hitting my shot. I hit this one perfect, and it was a relief to watch it fly straight down the left side, no real spin either direction, landed in the middle of the fairway in the middle of the dogleg. Perfect tee shot. I really wished I had a lob sedge when I got to my ball, or even a sand wedge, because the green is elevated about 75 yards from where I was, and I had pitching wedge or putter to choose from. My PW was struck perfect, and it air-mailed the green by about ten yards, landing in some pine straw under some trees. From there I hit a terrible chip from a downhill lie and almost rolled it back off the front. I had the line on the par putt but didn't hit it, bogey 5.
3rd hole is PAr 3, 153 an 8 iron usually, I hit a soft punch with my 7 and held the green and two putted.
4th hole is the signature hole. A par 5 with nowhere to really land a tee shot past 160 yards. It took me a lot of lost balls before I started hitting 7 or 8 iron off the tee. and I hit 7 this day, and hit it fine, and that leaves about 225 in, uphill, super tight. I usually try to lay it up to around 100 yards just like the pros, I don't do that cxause I'm good, this is maybe the one hole I ever play that way, its just so tight, theres no other way to make birdie, let alone par. I hit my layup with a PW into the woods because I didn't commit to a shot and swung with my arms only and it just trap-hooked, so I had to hit a second lay-up to about 45 yards short. I loved the second lay-up shot because it didn't seem like it had a chance but it ended up right in the middle of the fairway, I wished it wasn't my third shot already, but I got it up and down but hitting a sweet little chip shot the landed on the fringe and tracked to about 3 feet, maybe even less because there was no doubt on the putt.
5th hole is a wide open a** par five that's maybe 470 from the whites, its not a championship course or tee. Its the one hole you can normally hit driver and theres nowhere to lose it really. There's a creek at about 275 or so running across the fairway, splitting it really and there's fairway on the other side. I wasn't thrilled about only having a 19* hybrid. I had read on here and then watched a Mark Crossfield video where he shows the difference on a launch moniter between hitting down and hitting up on a driver. I had the idea that if I teed it a little high and off my front foot it would run out farther. I teed one up like that and went through my reminders, took my strong grip like Michael Breed taught me and BAM, my day got fun. I smashed it, and as I'm sitting there watching it fly I realize its going into the creek thats at 275, it takes two bounces and hops over the creek. It rolled out to somewhere like 285-290, I have NEVER hit a hybrid like that. God, I forgot how far the ball rolls this time of year when the grass is browned. I hit the second shot on the green with a 7 iron, I didn't even add up distance because I was just playing by feel and hitting it as good as I had in a while. I made a two putt birdie on 5
6th hole is straight away, like 340 from the whites and I hit a running bullet down the left side. After this tee shot I start doing the math and I realize I am playing better than I would have with 14 clubs, I've only probably lost one shot to the 4 clubs, this is really fun. I hit it to about 12 feet with a beautiful PW, it was probably a 70-80 yard shot. I missed the putt but I was still feeling so good about my tee balls and the fact that my bag was really light, it was a great thing. the next hole is usually my hardest and it was
7th hole is a 420 yard par four that plays as a par 5 if you play the 9 hole course 2 times as an 18 hole course, and its just an awkward par 4. In the winter its hard to carry your first shot long enough to have a second you Could hit the green with, but it the summer you can run it right through the fairway and leave yourself a crappy angle from the rough, I've held the green from over there like maybe twice in my life. My tee ball started great, down the left, but then it sliced hard and ballooned right, stopping in the first cut but in the bad angle area just like it'd run through the fairway. I can't say for sure that I didn't commit, prepare, or tried to do too much, but I missed the green way right with a PW, I had to catch the PW perfect to hit the shot I wanted to hit so I would have been better off in retrospect hitting a punch and trying to run up a 7, anyway I missed the green with a flop that was short and got it up and down from there for bogey, worst hole of the day
8th is a par 3, easy like 135, but its windy, and 135 is a PW for me, but into the wind, and hitting a blade, sometimes I think I have to hit it too hard and wind up kinda blading it cause I stand up coming through, I did that and had an easy chip from the fringe that I got to kick in range. I had my new putter so I putted everything out.
9th and last hole I wanted to drive it really far and had been, the places I was playing from were the same with my hybrid the other day as normally they are with my driver, I'm sure hitting the ball on the up-swing helped, as did the brown grass, so I teed it even higher and even farther forward, and absolutely creamed it but ballooned and started to slice hard, and hit and hopped over some hedges designed to be a boundary. I hit another to play a provisional and just poked it out there in play at like 210. There were kids playing in the yard I hit the first one so I decided to go see if there was a chance it was playable. When I got to this yard there was a canoe laying there that these kids were pretend rowing and one kid who knew how to play golf said "there's your ball, are you gonna play it where it lies?" real attentively. I said "If that's ok with you, your yard your rules" and we got into talking about if I could hit it over the tree, certain things give certain people trouble, water, sand, whatever, but trees are one thing that doesn't bother me, I mean I hit em all the time, but I hit over them all the time to, I taught myself to play with a wedge, so if a little kid thinks hitting one over a tree would be the coolest, I can probably make that happen for him. The cool thing about this shot was I had really one option, which is to hit a high 7 over the trees and toward the green, this green is protected on both sides by oak trees, so the only chance you have of hitting it on is from the middle of the fairway. But I hit it over the tree, and then I hit the oak tree to the right of the green and it bounced off and landed on the green. The kid loved it and I was thrilled cause I never hit that green from either side. I didn't make the 30 footer for bird but I made par, and only two bogeys on the day. and I made a solid birdie on a par 5. So 3 well 4 club challenge, man its fun.

Sorry to write so much, but you know, I read these write-ups on here all the time, I can write one. Got some new clubs coming this week so Im excited about golf

[quote name='adamthegolfer' timestamp='1409376472' post='10034993']
Good luck doing this without a putter lol , best bet is 3 hybrid , 9 iron , putter in my opinion
[/quote]
It just wouldn't be worth the trip for me without the putter, I could see playing with 3 clubs for money or against someone, but I was alone. After playing even 9 holes it becomes obvious what shots you really wish you could hit.

If I had to cut it from four to three I'd do the same, 3h, 9i, P.

And if I did it with four again I'd for sure go 8iron& SW instead of 7iron& PW.

I really missed my SW