2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

The Arm Swing Illusion / Jim Waldron's Swing Philosophy

Kiwi2

I like the anchor point term!

There are several Balance and Stability points in the human body, and also ways to feel and control dynamic forces, like lagpressure or inertia, for example. In my system, the dynamic forces/lagpressure points are: all of the hand grip unity pressure points, #1-#4 (7 total to be precise, ie #4A and #4B), back or right wrist is #5, left wrists c0cked angle #6 (same with right wrist c0cked), left upper arm to chest connection pressure is #7, upper right arm is #8, left foot to ground connection #9 and right foot to ground connection #10.

Balance and Stability or now "anchor points" are: Head/Upper Center (sternum), Hips (the "crease" or flexion/extension angle) and also amount of lateral motion so as to stay mostly centered and in good balance, Knees - including the "squat" one inch in Transition into right knee, a bit less in left knee, (knees are like shock absorbers), Feet - both toe to heel and side to side balance points in bottom of feet (likely the most important of all of these anchor points), Hara or center of pelvic girdle or Lower Center as the center of grounding/body centering and origin source of all body movement (the Core - watch Fred Astaire dancing!), and finally the arms, although they are mainly taken care of sources of Balance by having good Triangle pressures. Arms can quickly be a reason for losing Balance if they start flailing around during the swing - just look at a 30 handicap swing, you will see it instantly. Arms are used as counter-weights to off-balance body motion in the swing, like throwing your arms out to keep from falling over on icy sidewalk. The problem is that the use of the arms to try to restore Balance creates poor Mechanics.

My point being that a good golf swing is ALWAYS a blend of three main parts: Balance, Mechanics and Coordination (meaning Tempo, Rhythm, timing and sequencing). All three are needed to hit a great golf shot. But judging from the golf forums, one would think only Mechanics mattered.

When under the influence of ASI, the tendency is to move the lead arm and trail arm left across mid line as you have mentioned. Just want to note that you can cause this to happen with your pivot as well with incorrect understanding. Sometimes, when I lose the plot, even though I tend to be pivot minded, I can do this and pivot in a way that brings the left arm more horizontal from the top into the ball and towards the target (2D thinking) (and around me feel) which leads to OTT, EE, a wipe and, typically, an expletive. Instead of the more under-you feeling, using the third dimension and cranking it with your pivot from inside and behind. Just another way to mess the process up.

I agree. You are describing a very common problem for average golfers: they dont have any or nearly enough Tilt Switch on Transition. You have to blend in right side of torso tilting with the pivot rotation, and with the hip girdle/legs/knees lateral shift to left leg, and with restoring hip flexion plus one inch.

Are there any swings on YouTube of asi swingers? Trying what I've learned certainly keeps my club in front of me but with very high hands at the top

A common mis-conception is that ASI is a "swing method". Not even close. It is rather an explanation for what 95% of great ballstrikers have historically shown to be happening in their golf swings, in the Big Picture sense, obviously some show it to larger or smaller degree than others.

My model is left arm on the Turned Shoulder Plane at the Top, or a line drawn through the right shoulder tip down to the ball, you want some part of the left wrist on that line from DTL view, that is ideal for all golfers although tall players can be a few inches higher than that and shorter folks an inch or two lower. IF you are doing the 45 degree arm pushaway correctly in takeaway, and then understand how the second half of backswing happens, there is nothing about that "keeping hands in front" that will cause your left arm to be too high at the Top. Most likely you are simply lifting your arms upwards, a common flaw. In my model, there is NO active arm lifting in the backswing - what raises the arms is right arm folding and pivoting on a spine angle.

If you want to watch someone who demonstrates the ASI model - just watch about 99% of the modern tour pros, males and females.

Jim

I wonder if you could post a short Youtube of the ASI on your Youtube channel.

The one for Module 2 doesn't actually explain what the ASI is, and the older one's don't really reflect your new DVDs.

I like to refer people to them, but I don't think they reflect where you are at.

Good idea, thanks, will work on that.

I've been working on the tilt switch fundamental a lot lately with online lessons from Jim. I'm discovering that a lot of my flaws are compensations to avoid hitting way behind the ball due to an extremely steep plane on my downswing. It's amazing that I have learned to do all of the following, all in the right proportions, in order to make contact with the ball and play golf.

• I don't have enough secondary tilt at setup. This is the most evident in my driver. On video, I can see myself setup properly then during that fidgeting period before pulling the trigger, I subconsciously remove most of my secondary tilt. This is because setting up with secondary tilt makes me feel like I'm going to hit 3 feet behind the ball!
  • I slide my head and upper body toward the target subconsciously on the downswing and "get in front of the shot" a lot. This is so I can make ball first contact and not hit behind the ball.
  • My shoulders turn too flat on my backswing. Again, this is because when I bring my left shoulder down like it should, it feels like I'll end up in a steep position at the top making my downswing even steeper. In other words, when I didn't have any tilt switch, adding more of the left shoulder tilt would be disastrous.
  • I have a chicken wing on my follow-through to avoid hitting fat

I've tried eliminating each of these problems individually without much success. I guess my subconscious was faced with a decision: 1) follow my instructions and hit 3 feet behind the ball or 2) make ball first contact and be able to play golf. Only now do I suspect that they are all related to a steep downswing with my right shoulder too high.

When doing the tilt switch properly during transition, this shallows your downswing plane considerably. First time I was guided through the proper motion, it felt as if I would leave a shallow 4 foot divot. When shallowing properly, I can observe on video that my head is staying back and I'm seeing full arms extended at follow-through for the first time. I'm still a long way from feeling comfortable with the motion and body positions. Without all my grooved compensations it still feels like I'm about to dig a ditch behind the ball on the downswing and like I performed a magic trick when I take a ball first divot.

I went to the range tonight to try out the ASI for the first time.

The results were very pleasing indeed. Particularly with 50 yard pitches, I've never hit so many so close.

With 7 iron I hit two types of shot: either dead straight, or a push. There was nothing in between and every shot was really sweetly struck, just blocked a few out to the right.

Overall very pleased though and I'm looking forward to practising more.

I've been working on the tilt switch fundamental a lot lately with online lessons from Jim. I'm discovering that a lot of my flaws are compensations to avoid hitting way behind the ball due to an extremely steep plane on my downswing. It's amazing that I have learned to do all of the following, all in the right proportions, in order to make contact with the ball and play golf.

• I don't have enough secondary tilt at setup. This is the most evident in my driver. On video, I can see myself setup properly then during that fidgeting period before pulling the trigger, I subconsciously remove most of my secondary tilt. This is because setting up with secondary tilt makes me feel like I'm going to hit 3 feet behind the ball!
  • I slide my head and upper body toward the target subconsciously on the downswing and "get in front of the shot" a lot. This is so I can make ball first contact and not hit behind the ball.
  • My shoulders turn too flat on my backswing. Again, this is because when I bring my left shoulder down like it should, it feels like I'll end up in a steep position at the top making my downswing even steeper. In other words, when I didn't have any tilt switch, adding more of the left shoulder tilt would be disastrous.
  • I have a chicken wing on my follow-through to avoid hitting fat

I've tried eliminating each of these problems individually without much success. I guess my subconscious was faced with a decision: 1) follow my instructions and hit 3 feet behind the ball or 2) make ball first contact and be able to play golf. Only now do I suspect that they are all related to a steep downswing with my right shoulder too high.

When doing the tilt switch properly during transition, this shallows your downswing plane considerably. First time I was guided through the proper motion, it felt as if I would leave a shallow 4 foot divot. When shallowing properly, I can observe on video that my head is staying back and I'm seeing full arms extended at follow-through for the first time. I'm still a long way from feeling comfortable with the motion and body positions. Without all my grooved compensations it still feels like I'm about to dig a ditch behind the ball on the downswing and like I performed a magic trick when I take a ball first divot.

Great post, O! You nailed it on the many ways a golfer can compensate for being too steep. Getting to the TRSP (turned right shoulder plane) at the Top is key. From there, there is a small shallowing of the shaft from a blend of lower body weight shift and Tilt Switch, what I call "standard shallowing". There are also advanced ways of shallowing even more using upper arm rotation and wrist bowing.

Eagerly awaiting the module with the full treatment of tilt switch.

My editor is working now on Module 4: The Pivot Mechanics, which includes Tilt Switch. It is also covered in Module 6 in the Transition segment.

Module 4 will likely be finished by around May 1-7. There is a lot of material, so we may decide to divide it into two videos.

I went to the range tonight to try out the ASI for the first time.

The results were very pleasing indeed. Particularly with 50 yard pitches, I've never hit so many so close.

With 7 iron I hit two types of shot: either dead straight, or a push. There was nothing in between and every shot was really sweetly struck, just blocked a few out to the right.

Overall very pleased though and I'm looking forward to practising more.

Congrats and thank you for your feedback!

Jim,

Three questions: 1. For shallowing the shaft in the downswing, about what percentage comes from the weight shift and what percentage from tilt switch?

2. Is the pivot thrust just lateral or is it rotational as well? If a blend, what is the proportion?

3. I'm sure that there's a good reason for this, but... if the ideal is to bring the shaft down at, let's say 45 degrees, why not simply bring it up at 45 degrees, rather than bringing it up at , let's say 60 degrees and then flattening it to 45 degrees?

Thanks!

Jim,

Three questions: 1. For shallowing the shaft in the downswing, about what percentage comes from the weight shift and what percentage from tilt switch?

2. Is the pivot thrust just lateral or is it rotational as well? If a blend, what is the proportion?

3. I'm sure that there's a good reason for this, but... if the ideal is to bring the shaft down at, let's say 45 degrees, why not simply bring it up at 45 degrees, rather than bringing it up at , let's say 60 degrees and then flattening it to 45 degrees?

Thanks!

1. depends which part of Transition you are talking about. In general, more from Tilt Switch.

2. no or very little lateral aspect to Pivot Thrust. P Thrust is a blend of Left Wall formation (which creates the decel/accel whipcracking energy transfer), rotation, and scissors action of inner thighs for stability. Starts around P5.5, and by that point your lateral shift to left leg is done or mostly done. This is one of the many Hogan Secrets - that there is zero lateral weight shift during Release trigger point until impact, which really helps a ton with stability and balance during the strike. There is weight shift to the left leg, but it is 100% rotational (or nearly so). Right after impact, the lateral shift kicks in again.

3. The answer is that there is a natural steepening of the shaft that happens - for almost every golfer, unless very short in height and as flexible as Gumby - during second half of backswing. So the shallowing needs to happen, unless you want to stay on that steeper plane coming down, which you can do, but will have to make a compensation to do so and hit the ball solidly.

Hi Jim, I'm having really good results with the asi so far with my irons.

With driver I'm struggling a little with a pull hook. Is this a common problem when first starting out with ASI? Any quick fixes?

Good to know the concept is helping your irons.

A couple of suggestions. I think it is a very common mistake for folks reading this thread to incorrectly assume that the ASI is some kind of a "swing thought" or "magic move" that you test on the range to "see if it works". I realize that is the dominant pattern in Internet golf forums for those golfers seeking the Holy Grail.

I just think that this kind of approach is the furthest thing I had in mind with the ASI concept.

Which is that the ASI insight - if you "get it" - is just a doorway into a radical new way of understanding the golf swing, ie in 3D terms. Once you have the insight - only then do you work on some of the more technical and detailed mechanical instructions, ie the pushaway, super-connection, etc.

Another common mistake is to assume ASI ONLY about the takeaway and the backswing - its about the entire golf swing and in fact the Release segment of the swing is actually far more important as far as ASI than takeaway.

I highly recommend to folks that they play around with the concept in slow motion in front of a mirror. That should set some light bulbs off. I never recommend movement pattern training at full speed to start - even without a ball - but adding a ball brings a whole other set of factors into play that can influence your ball flight results.

Sorry - no quick fixes. I really wish there were but that road leads to failure in golf. And ASI is no substitute for a professional lesson.

For an eyeful of pros pivoting an arm triangle watch The Masters stream of the 1986 final round, available only this week.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/watch/2016-04-03/1869_0413_1.html

Watch the pre-shot setups, too. Especially Seve's. And Norman's blatantly obvious arm/shoulder mechanism above a fast, rotary pivot.

Modern pros use hyper-hip rotation and a ton of separation between upper and lower body. It's not really something amateurs should try to emulate. The great players in this Masters stream were using blades, persimmon and balata, and used swings that today's amateur CAN do -- once they see thru the Arm Swing Illusion. Watch the stream for a Master class.

For an eyeful of pros pivoting an arm triangle watch The Masters stream of the 1986 final round, available only this week.

http://www.masters.c...869_0413_1.html

Watch the pre-shot setups, too. Especially Seve's. And Norman's blatantly obvious arm/shoulder mechanism above a fast, rotary pivot.

Modern pros use hyper-hip rotation and a ton of separation between upper and lower body. It's not really something amateurs should try to emulate. The great players in this Masters stream were using blades, persimmon and balata, and used swings that today's amateur CAN do -- once they see thru the Arm Swing Illusion. Watch the stream for a Master class.

I agree, Norman especially, you can really see him set the Three Triangle Pressures and then keep them throughout the swing. And Greg talks about his version of the ASI all the time, ie "keeping the hands and arms and club in front of the chest", its one of his most important swing concepts.

Is there anyone in the Minnesota area that teaches this method? I doubt I will ever be able to make to Oregon or Hawaii to see Jim.

I don't currently have a Balance Point Teacher certification program, so no on your question.

I do a ton of Remote Lessons though for folks who cant make it out to see me in person. They are quite effective since they are done live in real time via Skype webcam. At least one hour for a first time student so quite in depth. You send me your swing video (as per my taping instructions) I spend about 30 minutes analyzing the video before our lesson, and then during the lesson we discuss my findings and a customized personal practice plan to follow. I can demo the drills, grip, Setup, slow motion swing positions, etc and then watch you do them, with my feedback. So - almost as good as an in person lesson.

More info here:http://www.balancepointgolf.com/index.php/golf-instruction-golf-coaching/remote-video-lessons

Is there anyone in the Minnesota area that teaches this method? I doubt I will ever be able to make to Oregon or Hawaii to see Jim.

I don't currently have a Balance Point Teacher certification program, so no on your question.

I do a ton of Remote Lessons though for folks who cant make it out to see me in person. They are quite effective since they are done live in real time via Skype webcam. At least one hour for a first time student so quite in depth. You send me your swing video (as per my taping instructions) I spend about 30 minutes analyzing the video before our lesson, and then during the lesson we discuss my findings and a customized personal practice plan to follow. I can demo the drills, grip, Setup, slow motion swing positions, etc and then watch you do them, with my feedback. So - almost as good as an in person lesson.

More info here:http://www.balancepointgolf.com/index.php/golf-instruction-golf-coaching/remote-video-lessons

I just purchased your eBook, so I will start there. Thank you for the tremendous insight that you've shared on this forum, it is appreciated.

A tip on how the arm pushaway will very likely feel when first learning it, and then later, when you have formed a habit.

Using 4 to 8 inches as the range, with 6 inches average.

If you are a severely inside the plane takeaway golfer, when first learning the move, it will feel like you are pushing away 18 inches, when doing 6 in reality.

Later, when actually pushing away 6 inches, it only feels like two inches.

Remember the pushaway happens on a 45 degree angle of lead arm to chest and is always blended into your core/torso pivot, which is itself a blend of left side tilt and rotation.

Jim,

In transition and the downswing, is there a tilt switch with the hips as well as the shoulders? Thank you.

Tilt Switch is mainly about the mid-thoracic spine bending from left tilt to right tilt in Transition.

The hips do have a slight tilt, which does reverse on Transition, ie left hip is lower at the Top than right hip and then reverses. Its one of those things in the golf swing that tends to happen naturally and does not need (for most golfers) any formal training to get it to happen.

Jim... could you explain that impact illusion (4 inches past the ball?) that you mentioned on the other thread, please.

This is for learning to overcome the early release Hit Impulse flaw. Best done with a driver but can be done with any club, just works better with longer clubs since the ball is closer to left heel in stance. You do it in slow mo first. Look at a spot target-side of the golf ball about 4 inches in front of it, and then Pivot Thrust to move your hands with fully set wrists so that your hands pass your "line of sight" to that point in front of the ball. Do it several times and imagine what it would like to see it at full speed in your swing. Then do it with a half speed motion. Then try a normal swing at half speed and look to see the blur of your hands passing your line of sight with the look and feel of at least some wrist c0ck and hinge of right wrist still intact. A "no release, release" look and feel. It will feel like you will block it dead right on a 45 degree when you do it right and your habit is to throw the wrist angles away too early.

Just happened on this thread....

I have a bag filled with bubble wrap that I keep in my office, and I practice chipping into it. I decided to do this to train myself to make solid contact.

I've gotten pretty good at it. I can hit 25-30 in a row without hitting one fat. But they are on a spectrum, where maybe a quarter of them are really solid, forward shaft lean, crisp hits, while the rest vary and tend more toward catching the ball at the bottom of the arc.

While this is ok....and certainly has helped my chipping....I was astonished at the effect of Jim Waldron's drill here on my chipping.

I just chipped a bunch of balls with the idea of the an aim point about 4 inches past the ball, sort of making a little pivot thrust and moving the hands through that sight line. The result was eye opening. ALL the chips were crisp. Near perfect contact each time. And the speed with which they hit the bag had to be twice what I was getting before, even though the swing motion didn't feel any longer or faster.

Thanks Mr. Waldron!

I'm a 7.6 index...I play golf decently but certainly with that handicap I'm not a great striker.

The entire time I've played the game I've wondered why _most_ of the time it feels like the downswing is fighting something. I have always felt that there was something about where and how I arrived at my backswing position that made it difficult to get the club swinging down on plane. So my striking is erratic.

There never seems to be room to swing. At the top of the swing, I could always sense that the club was too far behind me....it tended to point across the line. If I play a lot and my timing gets good, I can strike it well for a while, but in the end the fight always seems to return in one way or another.

I've struggled to find a way to swing the club back and transition such that the club is properly set up to hit the ball cleanly. Through the years, at various times I've corrected my position at the top by either rolling my forearms (rarely, but I've tried playing this way), or cocking my wrists very early in the swing, or swinging my arms upward dramatically. I still couldn't often arrive at the top and feel like the club was BOTH in the proper position and feel like I'd made a proper coil. I sensed the club had to be up and more vertical so to speak, but didn't know how to get there without feeling disconnected.

Playing around for just a few minutes with the concept of pushing the arms away from the body has been eye-opening. Basically, a blending of up/out arm movement with a pivot. For me, these two moves seemed to be contradictory. And, the movement of the arms has to be fairly specific...not straight up, but up on an angle that sets up the proper orientation of the club shaft to the left arm and hand, and the club shaft to the right arm.

I'm hoping I can gradually train myself to do this in my swing.

Jim... could you explain that impact illusion (4 inches past the ball?) that you mentioned on the other thread, please.

This is for learning to overcome the early release Hit Impulse flaw. Best done with a driver but can be done with any club, just works better with longer clubs since the ball is closer to left heel in stance. You do it in slow mo first. Look at a spot target-side of the golf ball about 4 inches in front of it, and then Pivot Thrust to move your hands with fully set wrists so that your hands pass your "line of sight" to that point in front of the ball. Do it several times and imagine what it would like to see it at full speed in your swing. Then do it with a half speed motion. Then try a normal swing at half speed and look to see the blur of your hands passing your line of sight with the look and feel of at least some wrist c0ck and hinge of right wrist still intact. A "no release, release" look and feel. It will feel like you will block it dead right on a 45 degree when you do it right and your habit is to throw the wrist angles away too early.

Just happened on this thread....

I have a bag filled with bubble wrap that I keep in my office, and I practice chipping into it. I decided to do this to train myself to make solid contact.

I've gotten pretty good at it. I can hit 25-30 in a row without hitting one fat. But they are on a spectrum, where maybe a quarter of them are really solid, forward shaft lean, crisp hits, while the rest vary and tend more toward catching the ball at the bottom of the arc.

While this is ok....and certainly has helped my chipping....I was astonished at the effect of Jim Waldron's drill here on my chipping.

I just chipped a bunch of balls with the idea of the an aim point about 4 inches past the ball, sort of making a little pivot thrust and moving the hands through that sight line. The result was eye opening. ALL the chips were crisp. Near perfect contact each time. And the speed with which they hit the bag had to be twice what I was getting before, even though the swing motion didn't feel any longer or faster.

Thanks Mr. Waldron!

Great feedback and thanks!

Chipping - old-style chip and run - is one of my key teaching protocols, partly because it is an extreme example of the ASI "arms in front" principle, and of connection, since in a short to medium length chip shot, there is no arm pushaway, ie no arm motion independent of the body at all, 100% passive arms, meaning arms ONLY being moved by the Pivot.

Pivot is the key to chipping, with ZERO wrist c0ck - if your are c0cking, you are NOT chipping, you are pitching.

Proper chipping mechanics is supremely simple, very few moving parts, 100% Pivot mechanics - except for a very slight hinging backwards of the right wrist to flatten the left wrist during the backswing. Very quiet and stable lower body too.

Which is why so many folks struggle with chipping - they can't fathom how little body part motion there is, and are always trying to "add" more body part motion.

I'm a 7.6 index...I play golf decently but certainly with that handicap I'm not a great striker.

The entire time I've played the game I've wondered why _most_ of the time it feels like the downswing is fighting something. I have always felt that there was something about where and how I arrived at my backswing position that made it difficult to get the club swinging down on plane. So my striking is erratic.

There never seems to be room to swing. At the top of the swing, I could always sense that the club was too far behind me....it tended to point across the line. If I play a lot and my timing gets good, I can strike it well for a while, but in the end the fight always seems to return in one way or another.

I've struggled to find a way to swing the club back and transition such that the club is properly set up to hit the ball cleanly. Through the years, at various times I've corrected my position at the top by either rolling my forearms (rarely, but I've tried playing this way), or cocking my wrists very early in the swing, or swinging my arms upward dramatically. I still couldn't often arrive at the top and feel like the club was BOTH in the proper position and feel like I'd made a proper coil. I sensed the club had to be up and more vertical so to speak, but didn't know how to get there without feeling disconnected.

Playing around for just a few minutes with the concept of pushing the arms away from the body has been eye-opening. Basically, a blending of up/out arm movement with a pivot. For me, these two moves seemed to be contradictory. And, the movement of the arms has to be fairly specific...not straight up, but up on an angle that sets up the proper orientation of the club shaft to the left arm and hand, and the club shaft to the right arm.

I'm hoping I can gradually train myself to do this in my swing.

Great insights, there. Yes - the proper angle of the arm pushaway, blended into a proper Pivot, is the key to arriving at the Top in a good position.

You are 100% correct - the ASI gives you plenty of "space" between your hands/club and body to swing down and through into during the forward swing.