2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Knoxville Course Membership

matt_thatsme

I am contemplating joining a club here in Knoxville. I am trying to figure out what course/club best suits my needs. I live and work out west and proximity is important to me. I don't want to have to worry about booking tee times weeks out. A club with too many members is a deal breaker. Course conditions are important and I would like a course that is walking friendly. I don't need top notch facilities, but an indoor and outdoor pool would be nice. Finally, cost is an important consideration too. Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

Taylormade M2
Ping Rapture 3 Wood 13.5*
Callaway XR Pro Hybrid 16*
Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 3 iron
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Scratch 8620 Wedges 50* & 58*
Bettinardi Inovai

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt, I haven't had the chance to play any of the privates around Knoxville and I'm sure you know the info about the obvious course around town like Holston Hills, Fox Den and others. One you may not have thought of and might not be in your ideal location is Beaver Brook in Halls. I ride by there a couple times a week and it looks fairly nice. I know the initiation fee isn't too much and monthly fees aren't too high. I know they have an outdoor pool. Might be something to look into?

Did you play out at WindRiver Saturday, by any chance with a goober named Dan and a long knocker playing behind you named Garrett?

Nope. That wasn't me. I played out at Centennial on Saturday. We have enough Kville golfers on here to have a get together though. We need to do that sometime.

Yeah, Halls is a bit of a drive. As far as private courses go, my options are probably limited to Cherokee, Gettysvue and Fox Den. Public courses close by are Avalon and Willow. There may be some public courses I am not familiar with. Deadhorse isn't an option. I am hoping to get some feedback from members that might be on here.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

OK. Thinking you were the same Matt. Of the courses you listed, Cherokee would be first. Gettysvue doesn't appeal to me and not sure about Fox Den. I wouldn't join at a public course. Is Green Meadows in Maryville too far away? If you do join one, let us know where and why.

A Knoxville outing does sound like a good idea.

I have heard that Holston is the best golf course around. Unfortunately, it is too far away. I would love to get on there some time for a round. I am not a fan of Gettysvue's layout, but I don't know anything about the practice facilities. What is the problem(s) with the practice facilities?

Based on what I know and what I have heard:
Gettysvue is the most affordable option;
Fox Den is the closest; and
Cherokee is the easiest to get on.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

Look into the details - Gettysvue may not be the cheapest. First problem-it is virtually non-walkable, or at least I would not do it very often and then only with a caddy, and there is a $15 (I think) cart fee to use a cart. Practice facility (such as it is), consists of a line of mats on the top of a steep slope. I hate hitting off of mats and obviously it is tough to gauge distances. No place really to practice the short game. The practice facility is where Fox Den really shines, as there is a very nice short game practice area along with the driving range.

Hmmm. It would seem that Fox Den has the best practice facilities by far then. Cherokee has a decent short game area, but the range is lousy. I have heard Fox Den stays really busy and it can be difficult to get tee times. Have you heard that?

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

[quote name='matt_thatsme' timestamp='1371140778' post='7231184']
Hmmm. It would seem that Fox Den has the best practice facilities by far then. Cherokee has a decent short game area, but the range is lousy. I have heard Fox Den stays really busy and it can be difficult to get tee times. Have you heard that?
[/quote]

Typically I don't think it is that busy. The nice thing is it is easy to get a game when you go out there.

• 3 weeks later...

I walk gettysvue almost every day... It's not too bad... Me and the father walk it and he is 61.. The practice facilities aren't as nice as Fox Den but for the price it's great... The layout is really tough I only pull drive on 6 holes... Fox Den is much easier to walk and driver is close to every hole... Cart fee is 20 for 18 at GV... Haven't played Holsten for 6-7 years...

[color=#222222]I've also been looking around as of late, trying to decide whether or not to join a club. Right now, I'm a member of Fairways and Greens, which is a practice range/fitness facility, and play various courses in and around Knoxville. Cherokee is about a two minute car ride, but I have no desire to play that course regularly. Plus, I’m not sure I could even get into that club, and if I was able to, I don’t know that I could afford it. Holston Hills has the best course, but location is a factor. Fox Den probably would be the best overall fit for me in regards to quality of course and practice facilities, but I don’t know if I want a club that’s 25 minutes from my house. Gettysvue is not being considered due to quality of course and practice facilities. [/color]
[color=#222222][size="3"] [/size][/color]
[color=#222222]I’m starting to think that joining doesn’t make sense for me right now. I’m in my late twenties, so I would really only be using the club for golf, drinks in the bar, and the occasional dinner. The more I think about cart fees on top of monthly dues, the more I think that I need to hold off on joining a club. Right now, I rotate between seven courses, have full access to the best practice facility in the state, and don’t pay for all the “fluff.” However, it would be really nice to join a club so as to have a place to play that isn’t busy on the afternoons and weekends.[/color]

[quote name='3114' timestamp='1372703415' post='7363934']
[color=#222222]I've also been looking around as of late, trying to decide whether or not to join a club. Right now, I'm a member of Fairways and Greens, which is a practice range/fitness facility, and play various courses in and around Knoxville. Cherokee is about a two minute car ride, but I have no desire to play that course regularly. Plus, I’m not sure I could even get into that club, and if I was able to, I don’t know that I could afford it. Holston Hills has the best course, but location is a factor. Fox Den probably would be the best overall fit for me in regards to quality of course and practice facilities, but I don’t know if I want a club that’s 25 minutes from my house. Gettysvue is not being considered due to quality of course and practice facilities. [/color]
[color=#222222][size="3"] [/size][/color]
[color=#222222]I’m starting to think that joining doesn’t make sense for me right now. I’m in my late twenties, so I would really only be using the club for golf, drinks in the bar, and the occasional dinner. The more I think about cart fees on top of monthly dues, the more I think that I need to hold off on joining a club. Right now, I rotate between seven courses, have full access to the best practice facility in the state, and don’t pay for all the “fluff.” However, it would be really nice to join a club so as to have a place to play that isn’t busy on the afternoons and weekends.[/color]
[/quote]
I enjoy Fairways and Greens, though I found myself going in spurts when I was a member. I wish that it was on the Kingston Pike side of 40W. There really isn't an easy way to get to the facility. It would be nice if one of the courses would partner up with Fairways and Greens and offer a dual membership.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

I wasnt a fan of Fairways and Greens when i joined. had to go in the morning to be able to hit off clean grass... putting green was always crowded as well. People were very nice there tho.

Walking a course really cuts down your price... look at getting a push a cart! Those can really help, plus you will get into shape... who cares if you only get in 9 holes each time out.. Wait for the weekends to play 18...

Green Meadow in Lousiville is getting revamped on the greens if you want to consider there, but i really think Gettysvue is the least played member club in Knoxville

I love fairways and greens. I've been a student member for a few years and its been a great deal. I wouldn't consider Gettysvue for the same reasons stated earlier. The practice facilities are terrible and I'm not too familiar with the other privates in the area

D: R9 Supertri 10.5 Harrison Saga S
3W: TEE xcg3 Stiff
H: 19* TM Raylor S, 21* Adams Dhy S
4-P Titleist 710 AP1
52-8 Vokey Oil Can, 58-12 Spin Milled
Odyssey Protype 3-Ball

• 8 months later...

Went to Gettysvue today and checked out the practice facilities and course. I've played the course before, but this is the first time I have walked out there. It really isn't that bad. For some reason I had built it up in my head as nearly impossible to walk, but that is not the case. Not a fan of the elevated teeing area on the driving range, but it's definitely not a dealbreaker for me. IMHO, the range at Gettysvue is much better than Cherokee's range. The short game area is adequate - couple of putting greens, chipping green with bunker. The clubhouse is nice. The price is definitely the best of three options (Cherokee, Gettysvue and Fox Den). I'm not sold on joining Gettysvue or any club for that matter, but my view of Gettysvue has improved.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

We went through this last month. And although it's a bit of a haul, we joined Oak Ridge. It's 30 minutes from my house to the parking lot. Very nice practice facilities, other amenities available, and I love the course. I've now played 3 rounds in under 3 hours walking. It can get busy on weekend mornings, but I've played there as a guest a few times on Sat/Sun afternoons and there were very few people out.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread in hopes of getting some info. I might be moving to Knoxville and it seems like some knowledgeable people have posted previously. Can anyone give me some approximate numbers for initiation fees and monthly dues for Holston Hills, Fox Den, Oak Ridge, Cherokee, and Gettysvue? And do any of those clubs have a reputation for having a lot of good players and good regular games?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='matt_thatsme' timestamp='1443979019' post='12408902']
If you move to the western part of Knoxville (Farragout area), you may also want to consider Tennessee National.
[/quote]

What course did u end up joining??

And if I was picking I would join Oak Ridge CC

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

[quote name='Lefty431' timestamp='1443979448' post='12408922']
[quote name='matt_thatsme' timestamp='1443979019' post='12408902']
If you move to the western part of Knoxville (Farragout area), you may also want to consider Tennessee National.
[/quote]

What course did u end up joining??

And if I was picking I would join Oak Ridge CC
[/quote]

I didn't end up joining anywhere. Couldn't resign myself to the idea of only playing one course. I did join Fairways and Greens though.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

[quote name='ChrisSP' timestamp='1443987826' post='12409262']
Thanks for the info guys. In doing some research, it seems like Holston Hills has offered some really good membership deals recently. Any thoughts on what that's a result of?
[/quote]

I think its location as much as anything. If Holston Hills was located in the western (affluent) part of the county, they would not have a problem with membership.

I was a member at fairways for 12 or 13 years!! Until the arrival of my first child about 16 months ago!!! Just can't find the time to justify the membership!! I do miss it! But membership was so big when I left, sometimes it was hard to find any grass to hit off of! Luckily I'm a lefty so I managed!

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

Being a lefty is a huge advantage at F&G.

I find that I play a lot less actual golf now that I am a member of F&G. It is so rare that I have enough time to play a full round, so it often comes down to paying $30 to play 9 at Willow or beating a couple of buckets at F&G.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai