2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

1 hour ago, Maine Golfer said:

I feel this 100 percent. My Fluid Feel 1969 set at 52, is the last full swing club that is hard to balloon. I think part of it is my eye's / feel, I end up opening them up and mixing in chipping hand stuff that is bad. The gap's after my 45 degree club doesn't mater, all that maters is confidence and feel at that point. 

If it is the wedge that came with the set then it is even hard for me to balloon it. That is due to the club design in general. Most what I call auxiliary wedges have a lot of weight on the bottom end to elevate the ball high to spin it. The old school PWs can be very versatile if one practices them. Remember all we used to have was a set PW and a 55 to 56* SW. One of the reasons today I did not pack one of the SWs was because I wanted to get back to my "roots" so to speak and work the old 11 iron some. FYI my 11 iron is 49* which is dead on Mac specs. 

Now I am going to sound like an old fart curmudgeon here. With today's new clubs the PW can be like 43* that is why some carry 4 or 5 wedges. Yeah in my world that is an 8 iron. I have a bud of mine who has a newer set of Cleveland Irons. They have the club number along with the degree on the bottom. His marked PW is 43*. Yeah he carries 3 other wedges besides that one. I can remember when I made that HIO in the monthly event on our Par3 11th hole. It was playing about 130 that day. I hit my feather cut in and it did a one hop into the hole. One of the guys asked what I used? I told him an antique Macgregor 8 iron. He stated he used a PW I told him well your PW is close to the loft of my 8 iron if maybe a little stronger. He did not understand as most do not. I have told guys that play with me in team events and scrambles for the first time do not ask or try to club off of me. Recently I quit using my range finder and never used it anyhow in vintage play. I find I do better not knowing the yardage and going off of gut feel. I always have been a feel and instinct player. I told a newbie the other day in a weekly team deal not to club off of me. He asked why? Our league President who is a stand up funny guy told him "because he plays those antique old blades but he does ok with them". 

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

7 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Now I am going to sound like an old fart curmudgeon here. With today's new clubs the PW can be like 43* that is why some carry 4 or 5 wedges. 

Was explaining this to my new buddy who plays 90s Wilson GE irons. He does a hell of a good job with the PW thats like 47 I think, the only other wedge he has is a SM9 58. Without me "telling him what to do" I told him thats why some of the newer sets have made up terms like approach wedge and stuff to fill the gaps. I was just trying to encourage him to feel good about what he does with his PW, magically adding clubs changes little. Without me taking any side, if you can release the club well and pitch and chip thats the goal.  

• Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

….why some carry 4 or 5 wedges. Yeah in my world that is an 8 iron. I have a bud of mine who has a newer set of Cleveland Irons. They have the club number along with the degree on the bottom. His marked PW is 43*. Yeah he carries 3 other wedges besides that one. 

I’ll volunteer for the ridicule, LOL. I’ll be playing and posting full vintage next week so don’t completely destroy me all of ya. Here’s my moderns and yeah I went all the way to super game improvement irons. They hide their features decent other than being pretty long heel to toe. What moderns aren’t? These are more forgiving yes cuz can get away all over the face and thin especially doesn’t kill the distance. I actually put these irons away in the middle of last year cuz was playing so bad. Felt really stupid hitting grounders and pulled top shots with these. Played strictly vintage irons from late June on to work on ball striking. Reverse thought to some but it worked for me. Still like practicing side by side with various vintage irons cuz they tell me more. 

How the hell can you play with only 4 or 5 wedges?? LOL, OMG!!
IMG_3611.jpeg.d14949c4a293e1702e4de8214cf5c603.jpeg

Now let’s be serious as we’ve all said over and over the number on the club means nothing. Realistically we have 4 wedges. PXG’s G on these is 48 degrees and I consider it my pitching wedge. There was originally 6 degree jumps between the G, W and 9. Now one W is 44(2 degrees weak) The newer model W I ordered and added this year is 40(2 degrees strong) and 9 is 36. 4 degree increments from 60 lob to 24 degree 6 iron. Yup I feel huge hitting my 6 iron 190 plus yards but it’s not a 6 iron.

Luckily all my playing bags are 14 slot divided and as long as I put the club away in the proper slot there’s no confusion. I start at 90 yards full with the 60 and jump 10 yards per. Strictly thinking of yardage for the club slot vs the number on club. In a perfect world they’d have loft stamped in them like the TA 845’s did. The 7 and 6 are slightly longer than 10 yard jumps. 7 is 175 very comfortably and 6 is high 180’s easily if struck well and I ain’t got a ton of swing speed. Maybe 103 maximum with this driver on the course. I’ve only seen 102 mph like 5 times in simulators and I’ve read you usually swing your fastest outside of simulators. This Callaway is close to or right at 46 inches off the shelf. 

Old curmudgeon’s (being a smartass on that statement) may love this PING fairway wood. It’s got an 80 gram shaft and swings at D5+. I’ve struggled hitting fairway woods forever till I swapped out the stock 65 gram shaft and added a few grams of head weight also. I think I could go higher than 80 grams yet cuz it took a massive jump for me in playability going up 15 grams. It’s just a lower level Diamana fairway shaft i had laying around so nothing exotic but it is 3 wood length. Unless you have physical limitations light weight doesn’t really seem to do what they say it does. Not for me anyways.

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

The irons in my “modern” set are 87’ TM TP irons and they play as well as any modern set that I have ever played. A friend gave them to me when I told him they were my second brand new set of irons. They had replaced the 78’ Wilson Staffs, the first new set that I had ever owned. Two years ago a friend gave me a set of 76’ Wilson Staffs and I could use them as my modern set without reservation also. These two sets are near and dear to me for nostalgic reasons but in no way are they limiting my ability to score. The loft jacking of todays clubs IMO has become ridiculous and don’t get me started on GI and Super GI clubs. 

Although I prefer playing my original wood clubs (persimmon or laminate), my modern set is a TM BRNR Mini Driver with a Stealth Plus Fairway (5 wood). I also carry two (20* and 23*) Adams Idea Pro hybrids from 2006 which have been with me for 18 years. I sold my 460cc toaster last year and the Mini Driver is around the same length of my vintage woods and I don’t miss the 460cc.

I use either an Otey Crisman mallet or one of my favourite Bullseye putters interchangeably in my classic and modern bags and am not losing out as they are that good. I could even use my 1904 Schenectady putter in my modern set if I wanted to.

I started hickory and classic golf eight years ago. At that time I expected my modern game would suffer but I was OK with that. I actually found that the opposite happened, my skills actually improved.

A typical week for me includes golf from at least three eras. I found playing blades in all eras of clubs made the transition almost seamless, requiring little if any adjustments. I would advise anyone as crazy as me to do the same if you are a vintage guy.

I can’t wait for a chance to play with @BIG STU sometime in Myrtle Beach although I don’t know if the golfing world is ready for that yet 😀

I have learned exactly what you said playing the Hickory stuff. We did the 2 club challenge on the Par3 Saturday. It was fun but actually I missed playing my Hickory stuff on that course.

Waiting on you to come down and educate me on playing Hickory on a regulation course. I really enjoyed my 7 club vintage round yesterday morning by myself. It helped me work on some stuff I needed to like utilizing the 11 iron (PW) more. It also led to me putting one of my 11 irons in my signature set for now. Next week on the vintage side I am going to do the 2 wood thing. I always could hit it well. I did find out on our 9th which is a par5 and our #1 handicap hole that I could hit the Izett 3 wood off the tee and elevate it. That little 7 wood I hit it about like I do my semi modern 9 wood. I can lay up and get that 7 wood to a reasonable distance to get a short iron under the next shot. I think I have straightened out my putting so that is a big help. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ezgoer said:

I’ll volunteer for the ridicule, LOL. I’ll be playing and posting full vintage next week so don’t completely destroy me all of ya. Here’s my moderns and yeah I went all the way to super game improvement irons. They hide their features decent other than being pretty long heel to toe. What moderns aren’t? These are more forgiving yes cuz can get away all over the face and thin especially doesn’t kill the distance. I actually put these irons away in the middle of last year cuz was playing so bad. Felt really stupid hitting grounders and pulled top shots with these. Played strictly vintage irons from late June on to work on ball striking. Reverse thought to some but it worked for me. Still like practicing side by side with various vintage irons cuz they tell me more. 

How the hell can you play with only 4 or 5 wedges?? LOL, OMG!!
IMG_3611.jpeg.d14949c4a293e1702e4de8214cf5c603.jpeg

Now let’s be serious as we’ve all said over and over the number on the club means nothing. Realistically we have 4 wedges. PXG’s G on these is 48 degrees and I consider it my pitching wedge. There was originally 6 degree jumps between the G, W and 9. Now one W is 44(2 degrees weak) The newer model W I ordered and added this year is 40(2 degrees strong) and 9 is 36. 4 degree increments from 60 lob to 24 degree 6 iron. Yup I feel huge hitting my 6 iron 190 plus yards but it’s not a 6 iron.

Luckily all my playing bags are 14 slot divided and as long as I put the club away in the proper slot there’s no confusion. I start at 90 yards full with the 60 and jump 10 yards per. Strictly thinking of yardage for the club slot vs the number on club. In a perfect world they’d have loft stamped in them like the TA 845’s did. The 7 and 6 are slightly longer than 10 yard jumps. 7 is 175 very comfortably and 6 is high 180’s easily if struck well and I ain’t got a ton of swing speed. Maybe 103 maximum with this driver on the course. I’ve only seen 102 mph like 5 times in simulators and I’ve read you usually swing your fastest outside of simulators. This Callaway is close to or right at 46 inches off the shelf. 

Old curmudgeon’s (being a smartass on that statement) may love this PING fairway wood. It’s got an 80 gram shaft and swings at D5+. I’ve struggled hitting fairway woods forever till I swapped out the stock 65 gram shaft and added a few grams of head weight also. I think I could go higher than 80 grams yet cuz it took a massive jump for me in playability going up 15 grams. It’s just a lower level Diamana fairway shaft i had laying around so nothing exotic but it is 3 wood length. Unless you have physical limitations light weight doesn’t really seem to do what they say it does. Not for me anyways.

Oh I hope I did not come off as giving ridicule on modern stuff. I did not intend that. I will never ridicule anyone on what they choose to play. Had another single join me yesterday on my last hole. He was like when I teed off "OMG you have wooden clubs". I ended up doing a layup on that hole which is our #1 handicap hole. Hit my 3rd over the swamp and about 130 out. That is one of our largest greens and right now it is as hard as the parking lot. I hit a little skipper 7 iron up to about 6 feet and made the par putt. I got the standard after the hole was complete. "man if you had more and newer clubs you could play". I did not bother to tell him the more "modern" signature set was in the car. I just told him naah I like doing what I am doing and not concerned with the score.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Oh I hope I did not come off as giving ridicule on modern stuff. I did not intend that. I will never ridicule anyone on what they choose to play. Had another single join me yesterday on my last hole. He was like when I teed off "OMG you have wooden clubs". I ended up doing a layup on that hole which is our #1 handicap hole. Hit my 3rd over the swamp and about 130 out. That is one of our largest greens and right now it is as hard as the parking lot. I hit a little skipper 7 iron up to about 6 feet and made the par putt. I got the standard after the hole was complete. "man if you had more and newer clubs you could play". I did not bother to tell him the more "modern" signature set was in the car. I just told him naah I like doing what I am doing and not concerned with the score.

No no you didn’t and I didn’t take it that way. Just thought I’d post an example of how far moderns have taken the extreme. Can easily argue that does deserve ridicule! 

I had my golf ego beaten out of me years ago.

Took awhile to configure the bottom of the bag. Initially I ordered the G 50, W 44 & 9 37. Used a 54 & 58 and it didn’t work at all. One of the biggest problems with SGI but guess most that play SGI have more to worry about. Not that I don’t at times. Tightening up to 4 degree gaps really helped. Biggest problem is these irons  don’t seem to work that well for those low running chips around the green. Above the 52 I usually don’t attempt those shots with these and that kinda stinks. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ezgoer said:

IMG_3613.jpeg.186ffd4099a3367caa72f7dc45d31e0f.jpeg

These could be my next full vintage. I’ve never played a round with a half set and it sounds fun. Odds irons and evens woods. 50’s stuff other than the putter I’m unsure of other than it’s a Spalding. I have something coming out of the ‘club spa’ very soon I’m extremely excited about so this could change. 

I would have never guessed how much I like these irons. Lesson to all newcomers here. Try not to stick to just the brand you think you prefer. 

From the pics those look like 51 thru like 55 Spalding Top Flites. I actually had a half set. When I was trucking I pulled oversized loads. On the weekends back then in most states we were not allowed to run. One weekend in Greenwood Indiana a guy told me about a local goat track near the truck stop. I ended going up there. I was going to rent some clubs. The Pro told me he had a half set he would sell me cheap. They were a Driver 3 wood 3 iron 5 iron 7 iron and 9 iron all 53 Top Flites in a little canvas bag. I ended up buying an Anser putter and a new Wilson JP 56* wedge from him. He actually gave me a dozen used Titleist's and a free round. At the time we were on a run and were there like 6 weekends straight. Got to know some of the locals and got into a regular Saturday game. I played all over the USA over a 4 year span with that set up. I think I paid like $25 for the clubs and bag and spent another 50 or 60 on the wedge and putter. Got in good with the locals in West Memphis and played the Saturday West Memphis 4 ball a few weeks. Met those guys at the Dog Race Track on a Friday night. LOL laid over in Jane Lew WVA one weekend. Ended up in a weekend game with the Truck Stop owner and his pals. He did ask if I had enough clubs to play with that it was a long course? I said I will see. That was still in the persimmon days and early metal woods. I held my own with that old driver and that set up. Like I told him I was used to playing with that set up. Those were the days. Growing up in my area 53 Top Flites were considered a Holy Grail club. Oh if I had a set as long as the shafts were not too stiff I could still play those I am sure

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ezgoer said:

No no you didn’t and I didn’t take it that way. Just thought I’d post an example of how far moderns have taken the extreme. Can easily argue that does deserve ridicule! 

I had my golf ego beaten out of me years ago.

Took awhile to configure the bottom of the bag. Initially I ordered the G 50, W 44 & 9 37. Used a 54 & 58 and it didn’t work at all. One of the biggest problems with SGI but guess most that play SGI have more to worry about. Not that I don’t at times. Tightening up to 4 degree gaps really helped. Biggest problem is these irons  don’t seem to work that well for those low running chips around the green. Above the 52 I usually don’t attempt those shots with these and that kinda stinks. 

I have basically never worried about loft gaps per say. I learned to manipulate a club to loft up or deloft. With me it is about how many different shots I can hit each club. Good example with me now with a slower SS I can only hit an 8 iron about 130 or so. I do not hit it all that high. On a shot like one at my course over a tree I can not elevate the 8 iron that high but I can choke down and open the face on my 24* 9 wood play it off the front foot and pull it off in most cases. Right now I am working on a similar shot with the 29* 5 hybrid I put into the bag a couple of weeks ago. I learned a whole lot in the years I carried that little half set on my truck. I can also hit some effective butt ugly shots too especially with a 3 wood or a 5 iron. LOL back before I was hurt I could play 36 in one day. I had pulled my driver behind a tree on out #10 hole. I pulled the 9 wood gig. Next round I did the same thing. My partner was surprised when I pulled the 5 iron. He said you used that little 9 wood the last round. I said yeah but I am not feeling it this time. I hit a little knee high butt ugly cut on the green with the 5 iron. I will practice the short game and maybe chip 5 balls or so with the 5 iron the go to the 7 or PW from the same spot. People have asked me well what do I use? I tell them what ever comes into my mind at the moment. Right or wrong that is the way I play golf. I was always instinctive and creative. I will admit now days due to age and nerve injury my short game is not what it used to be but I am working on it. My golf even in my heydays could be butt ugly at times. I have been known at times off of hardpan under the trees to punch a driver out especially if the ground is hard. I have also been known under the same circumstances to punch out with a putter. When I carried a 1 iron I did trouble punch out shots with it too. It all boiled down to what I felt like at that particular time and shot

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

From the pics those look like 51 thru like 55 Spalding Top Flites. I actually had a half set. When I was trucking I pulled oversized loads. On the weekends back then in most states we were not allowed to run. One weekend in Greenwood Indiana a guy told me about a local goat track near the truck stop. I ended going up there. I was going to rent some clubs. The Pro told me he had a half set he would sell me cheap. They were a Driver 3 wood 3 iron 5 iron 7 iron and 9 iron all 53 Top Flites in a little canvas bag. I ended up buying an Anser putter and a new Wilson JP 56* wedge from him. He actually gave me a dozen used Titleist's and a free round. At the time we were on a run and were there like 6 weekends straight. Got to know some of the locals and got into a regular Saturday game. I played all over the USA over a 4 year span with that set up. I think I paid like $25 for the clubs and bag and spent another 50 or 60 on the wedge and putter. Got in good with the locals in West Memphis and played the Saturday West Memphis 4 ball a few weeks. Met those guys at the Dog Race Track on a Friday night. LOL laid over in Jane Lew WVA one weekend. Ended up in a weekend game with the Truck Stop owner and his pals. He did ask if I had enough clubs to play with that it was a long course? I said I will see. That was still in the persimmon days and early metal woods. I held my own with that old driver and that set up. Like I told him I was used to playing with that set up. Those were the days. Growing up in my area 53 Top Flites were considered a Holy Grail club. Oh if I had a set as long as the shafts were not too stiff I could still play those I am sure

Yes 55 H&B’s and 54 Synchro-Dyned with TT Rocket single star shafts. Nice and heavy. Back in your playing days I bet you could make these irons sing. 

SS steel and cosmeticly kinda meh, little on the harsh feeling side. Definitely clackers. Honestly these beg the question how far has iron technology really come in 70 years??? I was shocked the first time I tried these. Real light bulb moment and it’s not like I was a Spalding fan boy so no obvious bias. I’ve since learned these are sought after. Also picked up a very nice leather gripped full 53 set but unfortunately they are light weight regular flex. Flex isn’t an issue but the weight makes them not as nice as the 54 half set to whatever feel I seem to have. 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ezgoer said:

Yes 55 H&B’s and 54 Synchro-Dyned with TT Rocket single star shafts. Nice and heavy. Back in your playing days I bet you could make these irons sing. 

SS steel and cosmeticly kinda meh, little on the harsh feeling side. Honestly these beg the question how far has iron technology really come in 70 years??? I was shocked the first time I tried these. Real light bulb moment and it’s not like I was a Spalding fan boy. I’ve since learned these are sought after. Also picked up a very nice leather gripped full 53 set but unfortunately they are light weight regular flex. Flex isn’t an issue but the weight makes them not as nice as the 54 half set to whatever feel I seem to have. 

I would say basic design on blades has not changed that much. Shafts have made the difference. Now I learned a lot on metals and processes racing and working for the metal recycling company Processes and metals have changed these days but virgin steel is still sought after. I can remember at the steel mill one day they had the DH Griffin trucks in a separate line and dumping on a different pile from us. Now that company salvages steel from huge plants and ships. I knew all of those drivers anyhow. They had steel from WW2 Liberty ships they were scrapping. That steel was virgin steel. Back when blades and shafts were manufactured like yours in the 50s they used virgin steel which was plentiful. Now days it is rare and commands a high price on scrap. The Japanese have steel forging traditions passed down through maybe thousands of years. Mizuno for one has several patents on their "grain flow forging". I will also go out on a limb here. When the classics we love were forged in the good old USA there was pride in the work and workmanship.

I bet here I would make some mad on the main threads. One of my buds bought a set of PXGs. Now I admit they are nice clubs. He showed them to me and I told him nice clubs. I kept on hitting one of my sets of Macs on the range. He wanted me to hit his PXGs. One thing I do not like to hit other people's clubs or drive their vehicles. He kept insisting on me hitting his sticks. I got annoyed and finally told him WHY? do I want to hit a 3 piece iron made in China when I have a one piece iron forged in the USA? He sulked off. I thought about it and thought I pushed the envelop too far. I was going to apologize the next time I saw him. He ended up apologizing to me. Said the guys told him he pushed me too far on that subject and he was sorry. Poor guy he spent all that money and could not play a lick. He did take lessons from 2 different golf instructors but would not listen. He tried to balls out kill everything he hit and got mad when he topped or pull hooked one. I have not seen him in a while and asked about him the other day and one of the guys said he quit golf period 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Played in a Seniors open today at Walmley GC near Birmingham today, Stableford scoring.

I was planning on using my Slazenger Plus International irons but some forecast rain made me change my mind and I switched to the Slazenger Jack Nicklaus Champion 3 to SW. 

John Letters Golden Goose putter, HB&S 1 and 3 laminated maple woods, Slazenger Challenge persimmon 5 wood.

Got off to a good start after bogeying the first for 1 point when I holed out from 65 yards for birdie on the second and 4 points, but then gave it straight back with a lost ball on the 3rd.

The round continued in an up and down fashion, heading for mediocrity but then a par for 3 points on the 17th and a 6 iron to 2 feet on the par 3 last and holed the putt for 4 points saved the round and got me to 35 points which, surprisingly, was good enough for 3rd place in my age category. Very pleased with that as I don't usually score very well at away courses.

Hopefully be a small cut too.

image.png.7cbbe097325276caffa91e3d9c287049.png

Great!---- You do not know how much I would love to do an event like that with that type of equipment

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jiggered said:

I was the only one playing classics, my playing partner knows I play old clubs and the starter didn't say anything when he saw me tee off with a laminated 3 wood. 

I just enter these opens primarily to play different courses and have no expectation of finishing in the prizes.

If someone starts questioning the legality of my clubs I just ask them who is getting the most help from their clubs, me with 50 year old relics or them with their all singing, all dancing hot-faced, fancy gizmos?

I'm playing another one tomorrow at a different course, no doubt I'll crash and burn! 🤣

I ran a hickory day for Walmley's centenary, which was nice because my grandfather was Captain there in 1927. Aston Villa FC  home club as well for an additional piece of useless information. Well played, Jiggered!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jiggered said:

I was the only one playing classics, my playing partner knows I play old clubs and the starter didn't say anything when he saw me tee off with a laminated 3 wood. 

I just enter these opens primarily to play different courses and have no expectation of finishing in the prizes.

If someone starts questioning the legality of my clubs I just ask them who is getting the most help from their clubs, me with 50 year old relics or them with their all singing, all dancing hot-faced, fancy gizmos?

I'm playing another one tomorrow at a different course, no doubt I'll crash and burn! 🤣

In my league with some of the games we play on a weekly basis some of the guys would accuse me of not trying and slowing up the game because my drives would not go that far. I wish when I started the league that I would have started off strictly vintage. I do know in one of the Shootouts I played all vintage and was accused of not trying. Funny thing in that round they played a lot of my 195 200 yard in the fairway persimmon drives. 

We had an event a while back that was a Memorial event for our pro/ co owner who passed away unexpectant 2 years ago this December. All holes were set up as Par3s longest was like 120 yards. Now the other owner put the teams together. Trust me he had it stacked. He had 3 players on HIS team all PGAOA pros who played CPGA events. It was a free event do I would have not played in it unless they would have had a live draw. I had 2 guys that play there that are drunks and just drink beer and beat the ball around. The other partner and I go a long way back. He runs one of our golf schools and we played on the Space Coast Tour in Florida back in the late 70s. He has not played much recently. LOL I threw together a bag with my FC-4000 Macs and my Hickory Shafted Mashie and Mashie Niblick. I even putted with my Hickory Shafted Otey. It was a scramble anyhow. The owner did announce that the Members HIO pool was off for that event which I agreed with 110%. The owner announced that he would pay $500 out of his pocket for a HIO. Now they had some devilish pin placements. With the shotgun start the 17th was our last hole played at 100 yards over the bunker with a tight pin placement. You guessed it I took the old FC 11 iron and hit it about a foot from the hole and it hopped in for a "HIO". Our owner who was mad at me at the time was pissed but he paid off. They did give some prizes but I think we finished 5th out of like 20 teams or so. One of the guys in another group remarked that we did not win any golf shoes or stuff. I told him well I did win $500 and I can go to PGASS or Golf Shoe Stores of America and buy some shoes if I want. 

Now I am having fun in the league but do not know if I will renew my league membership next year. I have started playing my vintage stuff some in a 7 club set for now. Like you I could care less about the score but the fun in hitting and creating different shots with the old stuff. You can bet the farm if I were in your area I would jump right in there with you and play vintage any day

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

In my league with some of the games we play on a weekly basis some of the guys would accuse me of not trying and slowing up the game because my drives would not go that far. I wish when I started the league that I would have started off strictly vintage. I do know in one of the Shootouts I played all vintage and was accused of not trying. Funny thing in that round they played a lot of my 195 200 yard in the fairway persimmon drives. 

We had an event a while back that was a Memorial event for our pro/ co owner who passed away unexpectant 2 years ago this December. All holes were set up as Par3s longest was like 120 yards. Now the other owner put the teams together. Trust me he had it stacked. He had 3 players on HIS team all PGAOA pros who played CPGA events. It was a free event do I would have not played in it unless they would have had a live draw. I had 2 guys that play there that are drunks and just drink beer and beat the ball around. The other partner and I go a long way back. He runs one of our golf schools and we played on the Space Coast Tour in Florida back in the late 70s. He has not played much recently. LOL I threw together a bag with my FC-4000 Macs and my Hickory Shafted Mashie and Mashie Niblick. I even putted with my Hickory Shafted Otey. It was a scramble anyhow. The owner did announce that the Members HIO pool was off for that event which I agreed with 110%. The owner announced that he would pay $500 out of his pocket for a HIO. Now they had some devilish pin placements. With the shotgun start the 17th was our last hole played at 100 yards over the bunker with a tight pin placement. You guessed it I took the old FC 11 iron and hit it about a foot from the hole and it hopped in for a "HIO". Our owner who was mad at me at the time was pissed but he paid off. They did give some prizes but I think we finished 5th out of like 20 teams or so. One of the guys in another group remarked that we did not win any golf shoes or stuff. I told him well I did win $500 and I can go to PGASS or Golf Shoe Stores of America and buy some shoes if I want. 

Now I am having fun in the league but do not know if I will renew my league membership next year. I have started playing my vintage stuff some in a 7 club set for now. Like you I could care less about the score but the fun in hitting and creating different shots with the old stuff. You can bet the farm if I were in your area I would jump right in there with you and play vintage any day

Great story about the HIO!

I'm not sure how your league system works as I don't think we have that format in the UK but I guess it would be hard to switch between vintage and modern without annoying a few people.

If you ever get over here I'd be more than happy to tee it up with you any time Stu!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

I live above the pro shop at my home course, sort of a golfer in residence. There are several of us that play all forms of vintage clubs and most people get a good laugh at our shall we say “unique” take on golf. The first question I get asked is what are you playing today. I play in almost all club events and use either a complete vintage bag or a mixed version with a couple modernish clubs. We do get a few raised eyebrows by new people but enjoy debunking people’s preconceived notions on older equipment.

I would love to get to play with any of the contributors in this section, it would be great fun.

Depending on the particular club event, I will sometimes put a modern Mini Driver in the bag with the rest classic and have no problem competing. I will also play my hickory clubs since I have a separate Golf Canada hickory handicap which gets a few quizzical looks.

@Jiggered, I would suggest getting a Mini Driver for any events that you would consider on the long side. 

It is unusual for me to play the same clubs two days in a row. Today is no exception. I played a modern-vintage mixed set yesterday and today is a hickory golf day. I play more than half my rounds with hickory clubs and promote hickory golf all over the area.

Have a great day of hopefully vintage golf.

• Like 1

Lunch time chipping with some clubs I haven't taken outside this season. 

Took me awhile to get the hand of the Sure Out, I do not like the offset. I got so I can hit it okay, everything feels dead to me off it. It just messes with my feel, its a great club im just so use to low offset on wedges. I'll bring it out sunset sometime for some longer pitches. Its a club I really appreciate , Im just more of Sandy Andy man. 

The T Line looks massive compared to my Pal, took me awhile but the line helps a ton. Its a good [utter once you get locked in. 

image.png.f01286f3da29a5c7faac1137fe66f3d4.png 

image.png.f8db841ce7666931f2c36c2c538b01d0.png 

image.png.459dda05ab0f0ea09ce531dffb8635da.png 

image.png

• Like 2

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

7 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Great story about the HIO!

I'm not sure how your league system works as I don't think we have that format in the UK but I guess it would be hard to switch between vintage and modern without annoying a few people.

If you ever get over here I'd be more than happy to tee it up with you any time Stu!

I was brought up one day by some of the curmudgeons. They had seen me playing with a couple of guys I used to play shootouts with. Wondered why I did not post my score? I told them well I was playing vintage stuff. Yeah I could be a Richard Noggin and post those scores with that stuff and run my handicap up then go to my more modern stuff for league play. I pointed that fact out to the President and Comp director, and they agreed. Both told me not to worry about posting my vintage equipment rounds.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ezgoer said:

Would a WB KOOL CAT driver be legal?  Persimmon technology at its best or funnest anyways. Get a Ferrari red one of those with graphite shaft. Now we’re cooking with gas!!!!

I do not really know but I would speculate if it was legal on the date of manufacture then yes. Now my experience with one vintage golf association was bad. I was given the ok by the Tournament Director to play a reproduction Ironmaster with a steel and graphite shaft. After the first day my late friend Little Bear and I were leading the team and were 1st and 2nd in the individual. About 3 guys started raising sand about my putter. I told the TD no problem and went to the truck and got my original 57 Ironmaster. Then those same guys started raising hell about me using a claw style grip. Bear and I left we did not need the BS.

As far as drawing the line on what constates what is "vintage" and what is not I do not draw a line. Hey if you tell me you want to play vintage with me and use Eye2s and a Anser putter fine with me. If you want to play Hickory fine with me (I might match you on that one LOL) . Of course there is no vintage interest around here at all. That deal we played in was in Charleston SC and from what I heard that group split up some time ago. Wonder Why?? In a nutshell I say play what you want it does not make 2 hoots to me

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Maine Golfer said:

Lunch time chipping with some clubs I haven't taken outside this season. 

Took me awhile to get the hand of the Sure Out, I do not like the offset. I got so I can hit it okay, everything feels dead to me off it. It just messes with my feel, its a great club im just so use to low offset on wedges. I'll bring it out sunset sometime for some longer pitches. Its a club I really appreciate , Im just more of Sandy Andy man. 

The T Line looks massive compared to my Pal, took me awhile but the line helps a ton. Its a good [utter once you get locked in. 

image.png.f01286f3da29a5c7faac1137fe66f3d4.png 

image.png.f8db841ce7666931f2c36c2c538b01d0.png 

image.png.459dda05ab0f0ea09ce531dffb8635da.png 

image.png

I have a couple models of Hogan Sure outs myself. A Sandy Andy is a great versatile wedge if you ask me sorta like an old Macgregor or Wilson Dual Sole. I do not have a Sandy Andy but if I run up on one be assured, I will purchase it

• Like 1