Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Posted (edited)

Made an honest par at lunch with the X31's, 2 iron off the tee , 7 to get around the 90 degree dog leg, hit a awful 3 iron behind the ball... , another X31 onto the green and saved par with my white hot!  Was getting the hang of the distance's by the last hole, CLUB UP CLUB UP lol. I adore pitching with the 8 iron and such, thats a fun way to play imo

Now we are gonna try this later or Friday

RBZ's I hit well, thank you to @ezgoerfor the deal on the 3-5 Zing's  and I'll jump to my Gooseneck 5 - 8. T22 PW as my "9" , 69 Fluidfeel for my PW , Walter Hagen Sand Iron + the Sandy Andy. White hot because im making them with it. 

Edit: after going out for a 3 hole loop, I need the 2 back. The gap is fine, drop the Goosneck 2nd 5 iron 

image.png.739f7a108037d7db9664e6a8b4f16f74.png

Edited by Maine Golfer
  • Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW , Wilson X31's 1970 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

My last day at the current job, went down to my favorite par 3 in Wells Maine in the early afternoon. literally had the entire 9 to myself! Couple rough holes (doubles) that including one of the owners laughing with me as my wedge shot hit a tree branch-> into the sand bunker. Went 5 straight par's to close and was nipping my fluid feel 1969 PW to scramble a few times to great effect. Still don't have a birdie this year, painfully close again! Mentally I don't like bounce unless it's the Sandy Andy in pitching range / full swing. I adore the leading edge and grew up doing it that way. 

My swing changes i'm deeply happy with and my hips feels no strain, even with blades I can really hit my iron's high. Stack and tilt for me

• Like 2

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW , Wilson X31's 1970 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

On 5/10/2024 at 4:58 PM, Maine Golfer said:

My last day at the current job, went down to my favorite par 3 in Wells Maine in the early afternoon. literally had the entire 9 to myself! Couple rough holes (doubles) that including one of the owners laughing with me as my wedge shot hit a tree branch-> into the sand bunker. Went 5 straight par's to close and was nipping my fluid feel 1969 PW to scramble a few times to great effect. Still don't have a birdie this year, painfully close again! Mentally I don't like bounce unless it's the Sandy Andy in pitching range / full swing. I adore the leading edge and grew up doing it that way. 

My swing changes i'm deeply happy with and my hips feels no strain, even with blades I can really hit my iron's high. Stack and tilt for me

Like reading this. IMHO it is always whatever works for you whether it is the swing or the equipment. Again IMHO there is no one etched in stone way to properly play this game whether it is the swing or the equipment so carry on have fun and do it your way

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 7:40 AM, Hickory4ever said:

I just got back from our annual cottage trip where we played hickory clubs on Monday, modern clubs on Tuesday and classic clubs yesterday.

We played the beautiful and challenging Rocky Crest resort course for our final round. It is ranked in the top 100 courses in Canada and makes good use of the rugged Muskoka landscape. It is my friend Peter’s home course and is a great design. 

I played a full Wilson lineup from the 1970’s with the exception of the putter, one of my Otey Crisman models. My other friends played Spalding, Kenneth Smith, and Hogans from the same era. We played the course at around 5300 yards as the course is soft and it was perfect for four old guys, two 69 year olds and two 70 year olds.

It was a beautiful day, the black flies were not too bad and as usual, the competition was fierce. I had my best round of the year with a 79 on a tough track, narrowly edging my old high school buddy by one stroke, thanks to a birdie on 17. My 76 Wilson Staffs were dialed in, my favourite irons of my youth. All four of us were tight with three tied at 39 on the front nine, to the amazement of the starter who watched us tee off thinking that these clubs were too hard to play. The Head Pro knew better as we have been there before and will likely try classic later in the year with a couple of us.

The black flies you speak of are they tiny? My sister in law has a cabin in the northern Mn Boundary Waters area. Can hike into Canada from there. It’s absolute serenity, talk about unplugging, other than some times there’s these tiny black flies that are the most aggressive things I’ve ever experienced. Mosquitoes are the Mn state bird and they are like a house pet in comparison. 
After returning home from one trip I had to take my 3 year old daughter to the ER cuz her eye swelled shut from a bite from one of them bastards that infected the ocular fluid around her eye. Everything turned out fine for her but after about 20 minutes in the ER 2 police officers showed up to ask me some questions. Was shocking at first but guess it’s for the best when a man shows up with a little kid that looks like they were punched some things need to be questioned. 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, ezgoer said:

The black flies you speak of are they tiny? My sister in law has a cabin in the northern Mn Boundary Waters area. Can hike into Canada from there. It’s absolute serenity, talk about unplugging, other than some times there’s these tiny black flies that are the most aggressive things I’ve ever experienced. Mosquitoes are the Mn state bird and they are like a house pet in comparison. 
After returning home from one trip I had to take my 3 year old daughter to the ER cuz her eye swelled shut from a bite from one of them bastards that infected the ocular fluid around her eye. Everything turned out fine for her but after about 20 minutes in the ER 2 police officers showed up to ask me some questions. Was shocking at first but guess it’s for the best when a man shows up with a little kid that looks like they were punched some things need to be questioned. 

You are correct about the black flies. They are relentless and take a piece out of you despite their small size. Fortunately they are only around for a few weeks.

• Like 2

I play fast because of Maine black fly's and mosquitoes, two holes on my course this morning VERY BAD WITH THAT.  Back to short's and they end up biting the hell out of my legs.  I don't plan any camping in Maine till late summer, it sucks to go camping and be forced into a tent after dinner tbh. 

Had a great long, sunset  loop session last night after some chipping. I cleaned up my chipping / pitching this week, it was my goal to get rid of some silly hand stuff with it. I can get away with a lot with my hand's chipping, but it sets me up higher in the bag. Working it so if I want to draw a short pitch I use the 54 BeCu and The Sandy Andy is a baby cut machine. In both case's i CAN move those clubs the other way, but keeping it simple in better. Being a golfer or adult is about admitting you can do whatever you want but that's not the best way to go about most tasks!

I'm adoring my 4 Iron Zing , the launch is great I played some nice fade's with it this morning for a full 9. 

Zings + Gooseneck's are my ideal bag

This is from leaving today. This is #2 , I started on #3 this AM and finished on #2 / parking lot area. The Maine Golf Center Freeport Maine.

image.png.52a9060ed6559f05cbf60ee9dc1d995b.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

IMG_3180.jpeg.4c7cf068ca37d2677c82ab5093ef8f94.jpeg

No vintage rounds for a bit but just returning from a range session. I’m now bringing and swinging these clubs along side my moderns every session. Going back and forth may be helping. Picked up a beat set of 78 STAFFS. Look brutal other than grooves oddly enough but hit very nice. 7 iron still higher loft than my 36 degree modern 9 iron LOL. Have been beating range balls with the STAFF II laminates that came with that set till today I brought this stiff graphite shafted Tour Block persimmon. Far from super good condition so I figured why not. Hit a couple towering high draws with it. Norman-esq minus about 65 yards (allow me to live in fantasy world for a minute). Either swing is improving or it’s the club/shaft combo. I  haven’t carried any of my persimmons 240+ yards and close to 100 feet in the air like this one. Was thinking of refinishing this one but maybe be my range mule and I’ll search for a nicer one. 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Been "Pavlov's Dogs" with this thing lately, you hear that TING.  Not the same club, but I played one my final 2 years of HS golf. This is the 00's reissue. Ive been swinging through it good, mostly fades and not a gross slices.

image.png.ef5b4fd6e433fd6b74420e60b391b37b.png

Edited by Maine Golfer
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Maine Golfer said:

Been "Pavlov's Dogs" with this thing lately, you hear that TING.  Not the same club, but I played one my final 2 years of HS golf. This is the 00's reissue. Ive been swinging through it good, mostly fades and not a gross slices.

image.png.ef5b4fd6e433fd6b74420e60b391b37b.png

great club. Played the Tour Spoon version for many years!

• Like 2

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

48 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I posted this over in the Club House Grille section over in the 19 th hole section yesterday. I had my first HIO on a regulation course yesterday on day one of a 2 day tournament. In 61 years of playing never had one. Had 198 on the old Par3 course that was in addition to the course the old man ran. I started playing that course at 5yoa with a cut down Mac 5 iron (of course!) and some kind of hickory shafted mallet putter. I tried the last week it was open to get the last 2 but never did. I have had like 5 on another Par3 course up the street from me. Had 2 the same night in the same 9 holes at a Par3 on the North end of the beach. Had one  on the Par3 by the airport playing with my wife about a month or so ago. But never on a regulation course until yesterday. This one paid big too. I got the Members HIO pool plus the League pool. It was also one of the closest to the hole holes yesterday plus I got it on the birdie pool. Ended up around $900. LOL of course open bar. Bar tab about $165. One of my buds said he had 3 and Titleist had mounted all of his free. I said I guess I will pay for mine (do not care) since I used a Srixon Marathon ball. 

The league president who is a stand up guy and funny as heck asked what club I used? It was about 128 or so. I told him a 40 year ole MACGREGOR BLADE 8 iron. He laughed because he knew because he played with me last week. That shot never left the pin hit about 3 to 4 feet below it one hopped in. In the event I am tied for 4th 2 shots back and it is a handicapped event. Last year I was tied for the lead and ended up 3rd. We have like 50 players this year so I am feeling ok.

Yeah my first regulation HIO with an antique Mac VIP blade it cannot get better than that

Nice shot!

I can't believe you've had so many hole-in-ones, yet none (until yesterday) on a regulation course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Nice shot!

I can't believe you've had so many hole-in-ones, yet none (until yesterday) on a regulation course.

The longest one out of all the Par3 holes was 100 yards. My lifelong friend said I had evidently used all my luck on the Par3 courses. On the old man's course I had used everything from a cut down 5 iron to a 56* wedge. I had said many times especially here on WRX I figured never to get one on a regulation course or if I did it would be when I was out by myself messing around. My first one I was about 7 or 8 years old. Our #5 hole intersected across a small road with the tee for #5 on the big course. My old man and his cronies were on that tee and were watching. I hit a ground pounder that went in. All of those guys all big time gamblers were cheering. Yesterday you had my 3 playing competitors plus 2 of the grounds crew plus 2 people walking their dogs. One guy walking his dog is one of my Shootout partners from time to time. I stood there stunned. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Not to be "Debbie Downer" here I would love to see the numbers with a balata ball

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Not to be "Debbie Downer" here I would love to see the numbers with a balata ball

The original 2001 ball tests, with the Rule 35/Nike/Strata/etc showed remarkably little ball speed difference between them and the wound balls of the time.  It was primarily spin, and even that could be mitigated.

It was said Tiger was in the low 2000s with the Professional and his Cobra Deep Face (or even 975D), before switching to the Nike.

I'm not sure it would be all that different.

Personally, I'm all for making the tour pros hit persimmons or laminates...

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

If i randomly become rich im doing a small batch balata ball company. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Maine Golfer said:

If i randomly become rich im doing a small batch balata ball company. 

I would be a customer for sure

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:11 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

A bit late, but I played nine holes a couple of weeks ago with a mixed set of favourite persimmons and Mac Muirfield 20th irons.

A Wilson JP Custom Grind SW and BeCu Anser 2 pretty much completed the bag, but I also threw in a weird EYE2 2i I have for fun.

The EYE2 2i is a shade over 40 inches long, with a really soft shaft (not sure what it is, but at least a DG R of some sort). I've hit it at the range, and if I catch it right, the ball flies a mile, but it's tricky to time  well. I tried it once this time round and didn't hit it well, but the ball still went a reasonable distance.

Woods were good, irons, surprisingly, not so much. I usually do well with these Macs, but today was a rare exception. 

Probably the most pleasing shot was on the first; no warm up, and hitting over a pond into a stiff breeze, and I nailed a 3w into the centre of the fairway. 

Also hit a couple of good long drives with the driver, including one that went past my playing partner with his modern driver.

Finally, I didn't hit a full shot with the 5w, but I did use it as a chipper on a couple of holes (a few of us have posted about this a page or two earlier in this thread), and saved par once, and gave myself a decent look at a par save the other time.

WitPB20240512woods1.jpeg.cfbc99428dcbb36fbcb1025e2c63e3c3.jpegWitPB20240512woods2.jpeg.945f0e71899ba460fc4574caf54cae68.jpegWitPB20240512set.jpeg.9cdf1b751cb8eb6272c275e14ee49459.jpeg

Seventh hole, tee shot. Elevated tee, hitting over an OoB ravine.

Nishicourse202405127thhole.jpeg.6959cae4c86f578804ff372e288d5d65.jpeg

Second shot on the ninth, a par 5. I hit a good long tee shot, but still had at least 270 yards to clear the water in front of the green, and off a downhill lie with the ball a little above the feet. I laid up.

Nishicourse202405129thholesecondshot.jpeg.51b38e74ed45eaf56cafd6060eab0e61.jpeg

Love the overall set up. Yep I carried a Eye2 1 iron back in the day with of course Mac Blades. The JP wedges are in my top 3 GOAT wedges behind of course 588s and certain Vokeys. Believe it or not the only FWs I carried was an old Spalding 4 1/2 and a little Northwestern 6 wood. I did not use head covers in those days and got some strange looks with a 1 iron and 6 wood in the same bag. That little 6 wood was a round saver like my V-Steel 9 wood is today

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I have a green dot Ping Eye 2 1 iron, ive hit it good maybe two times. Its a club that demand's you make an effort. 

Edit:

1 or 2 weeks of Fedex Cup fall events and all players must use real woods and clubs pre 2000. 

Edited by Maine Golfer
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I posted this over in the Club House Grille section over in the 19 th hole section yesterday. I had my first HIO on a regulation course yesterday on day one of a 2 day tournament. In 61 years of playing never had one. Had 198 on the old Par3 course that was in addition to the course the old man ran. I started playing that course at 5yoa with a cut down Mac 5 iron (of course!) and some kind of hickory shafted mallet putter. I tried the last week it was open to get the last 2 but never did. I have had like 5 on another Par3 course up the street from me. Had 2 the same night in the same 9 holes at a Par3 on the North end of the beach. Had one  on the Par3 by the airport playing with my wife about a month or so ago. But never on a regulation course until yesterday. This one paid big too. I got the Members HIO pool plus the League pool. It was also one of the closest to the hole holes yesterday plus I got it on the birdie pool. Ended up around $900. LOL of course open bar. Bar tab about $165. One of my buds said he had 3 and Titleist had mounted all of his free. I said I guess I will pay for mine (do not care) since I used a Srixon Marathon ball. 

The league president who is a stand up guy and funny as heck asked what club I used? It was about 128 or so. I told him a 40 year ole MACGREGOR BLADE 8 iron. He laughed because he knew because he played with me last week. That shot never left the pin hit about 3 to 4 feet below it one hopped in. In the event I am tied for 4th 2 shots back and it is a handicapped event. Last year I was tied for the lead and ended up 3rd. We have like 50 players this year so I am feeling ok.

Yeah my first regulation HIO with an antique Mac VIP blade it cannot get better than that

CONGRATS!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

6 minutes ago, bcstones said:

is this a local event or televisied in anyway?

just me spit balling an idea. I have no control over the tour lol. 

• Haha 2