2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Miura or Mizuno

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By purely rational arguments, it is difficult not to choose the Mizunos. The only area where the Miuras objectively are better is quality control. But buying Mizzies and having lie angles and lofts checked and adjusted will still be much cheaper than a set of Miuras.

Feel on both is fantastic, and is a bit subjective anyway, even within the same brand. I for example thought that the PP-9003s felt better than the CB-501s (both same shaft), though in theory it should be the other way round. I used to play the MP-53s for a season, and by what I remember (sold the Mizzies), the feel of the PP-9003s and the MP-53s is pretty similar.

All other factors relevant to your game (accuracy, length, forgiveness, etc.) depend on the specific head, and the shaft you choose. For me, the PP-9003s are slightly more forgiving than the MP-53, actually very similar to the 825 Pros.

If you include emotional factors in your decision (like wanting really exclusive clubs, or wanting clubs that are a bit of a piece of art), and money is not really a topic, Miuras are great clubs.

Mizzies for the most part are softer, Miuras are more dense-feeling, more solid. Mizunos usually have a little more bounce and will tend to dig less than Miuras. Aside from the Miuras being spot-on as far as loft and lie, they will also be exact weight +/- a gram or two. Just a much smaller operation and they won't go out if they're not perfect. You can always adjust loft and lie, weight is a different matter. You often need to add lead weight in the shaft or on the head to get Mizunos to get to swing weight. This has been a common issue for many years with them. Some people don't care, some don't know about it, but it is there. Either maker is a great option, these are the main differences IMO.

[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1377461130' post='7741943']
Mizzies for the most part are softer, Miuras are more dense-feeling, more solid. Mizunos usually have a little more bounce and will tend to dig less than Miuras. Aside from the Miuras being spot-on as far as loft and lie, they will also be exact weight +/- a gram or two. Just a much smaller operation and they won't go out if they're not perfect. You can always adjust loft and lie, weight is a different matter. You often need to add lead weight in the shaft or on the head to get Mizunos to get to swing weight. This has been a common issue for many years with them. Some people don't care, some don't know about it, but it is there. Either maker is a great option, these are the main differences IMO.
[/quote]

Great Post Mizzy Man....Now I know what to check for. Thanks a lot very informative.

I played Mizuno from 92-2012. Loved every set I had. 14s, 29s & 32s. Great clubs. My 14s and 29s had plenty of lead tape throughout....not so on the 32s. I think Mizuno made a lot of improvement in quality control over the last few years.

I switched to Miura in 12. I love them. Do I play any better? Nope. A big part of that is because I'm now in 40s and just not as good as I used to be.

Here's a thought: before you drop a lot of money on a custom set - get one club from each set and have it fit with the correct shaft, lie, weight etc....work with it for several weeks on the range.

You'll find Mizuno single clubs on eBay and your fitter will work with you on Miura. If you decide on Miura you can just order the rest of the clubs. If not - it will sell on BST. Cheap way to know for sure.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1377523881' post='7745757']
Also, which ones in particular are you thinking about? I've hit most MIuras and several Mizzies so I might be able to give some addl. opinion if I knew the specific model.
[/quote]

Hi MizzyMan,

Here are the heads I want to try out...

Miura Irons - Tournament Blade, 501 & PP9003

:miz: Mizuno - JPX-825 Pro ( tried them out at demo day...really liked the results but wasn't crazy about the feel), MP-H4, MP-64

I should be able to find something to suit my game out of those models and if not then I have serious problems...

Thanks for your help

[quote name='GolfDiseasedFool' timestamp='1377368446' post='7737565']
Hi everyone,

Im about to indulge in some new clubs. I was wondering what you out there prefer....Miura irons or Mizuno. I haven't been able to find a clubfitter that offers both so it is going to have to be one or the other.
[/quote]

Where in Ohio ?

There's a place in Michigan that sells both and can fit you.

Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

[quote name='TheBoomer ' timestamp='1377526494' post='7746017']
[quote name='GolfDiseasedFool' timestamp='1377368446' post='7737565']
Hi everyone,

Im about to indulge in some new clubs. I was wondering what you out there prefer....Miura irons or Mizuno. I haven't been able to find a clubfitter that offers both so it is going to have to be one or the other.
[/quote]

Where in Ohio ?

There's a place in Michigan that sells both and can fit you.
[/quote]

Im in Cleveland. Detroit is about 2 hrs away. Id be willing to drive a couple hours for a decent fitting session.

[quote name='TheBoomer ' timestamp='1377529088' post='7746279']
Pure Impact Golf Studio in Commerece Township

2.5 Hour ride for you.

Great fitting and all the Miuras and Mizunos you can hit.
[/quote]

Is pure impact the one that also carries Epon? Just don't hit those. While you absolutely cant go wrong with either mizzy or miura you may change your mind after hitting epon. Hehheeh ;)

[quote name='GolfDiseasedFool' timestamp='1377526139' post='7745983']
[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1377523881' post='7745757']
Also, which ones in particular are you thinking about? I've hit most MIuras and several Mizzies so I might be able to give some addl. opinion if I knew the specific model.
[/quote]

Hi MizzyMan,

Here are the heads I want to try out...

Miura Irons - Tournament Blade, 501 & PP9003

:miz: Mizuno - JPX-825 Pro ( tried them out at demo day...really liked the results but wasn't crazy about the feel), MP-H4, MP-64

I should be able to find something to suit my game out of those models and if not then I have serious problems...

Thanks for your help
[/quote]

Haha, yeah, you're right. Those run the gamut from serious players' clubs to fairly GI. How good of a player are you? And more importantly, how much help/feedback/reward do you want from your irons?

Right now Im about a 10 but getting lower as I continue taking lessons and refine my draw and other shaped shots. Not to mention Im a horrible putter.

But Feedback is very important....I love to know when I hit it flush.

The best set of irons I had were a used set of dynacrafts back in the 90s. Man they had a nice sweetspot seemed larger than most irons. I don't know why. I was a worse player also back then.

So feel is important but not everything. It is like buying shoes you cant describe what you want but you will know when you see it. In this case, I will know when I see and feel it.

thanks again....

[/quote]

Mizzyman hit the nail on the head, I will add this... You normally only need to add tape to the Mizzys if you go shorter or want heavier than standard SW. If you go longer in the shafts than the SW will generally be where you want it. Being able to make the Miura's .25" shorter than "American" standard and get D3/D4 SW is huge to me. This means you don't have to cover the blade with lead tape or add a ton of weight to the hosel.

[size=4]The grinds between the Miura TB's and Mizzy blades is night and day and could settle your decision if you decided on blades. I think most people would prefer the Mizzy turf interaction over the Miura, this is why you need to hit them on a grass range before deciding. The 501 and PP9003 sole's are much more forgiving than the TB's and more in line with Mizzy soles. [/size]

[size=4]Another thing to consider is that the head shape, specifically the toe shape between Miura and Mizuno are very different. Mizuno is much rounder toe and steeper topline from hosel to toe. While Miura's toe is squared off and is flatter from hosel to toe. [/size]

[size=4]Last the Miura are satin vs chrome.... Not sure if this matters to you but it's something to consider. [/size]

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1377534294' post='7746923']
[/quote]

Mizzyman hit the nail on the head, I will add this... You normally only need to add tape to the Mizzys if you go shorter or want heavier than standard SW. If you go longer in the shafts than the SW will generally be where you want it. Being able to make the Miura's .25" shorter than "American" standard and get D3/D4 SW is huge to me. This means you don't have to cover the blade with lead tape or add a ton of weight to the hosel.

[size=4]The grinds between the Miura TB's and Mizzy blades is night and day and could settle your decision if you decided on blades. I think most people would prefer the Mizzy turf interaction over the Miura, this is why you need to hit them on a grass range before deciding. The 501 and PP9003 sole's are much more forgiving than the TB's and more in line with Mizzy soles. [/size]

[size=4]Another thing to consider is that the head shape, specifically the toe shape between Miura and Mizuno are very different. Mizuno is much rounder toe and steeper topline from hosel to toe. While Miura's toe is squared off and is flatter from hosel to toe. [/size]

[size=4]Last the Miura are satin vs chrome.... Not sure if this matters to you but it's something to consider. [/size]
[/quote]

Very interesting...this might explain why I generally find very little/no tip weights in my Mizzy's...I'm +1/2 and I know they have the B weight heads....

Head weight was the deciding factor. I had my MP59's checked. Loft was strong (probably from playing time and practice), but I was most interested to find out I was swing D1 irons instead of D3. Also, the fitter checked shaft CPM and my C-tapers had a 5 iron at 5.8 vs 6.35 6 iron and 6.20 4 iron. Make sure you go to somebody who looks at the whole club. My buddy uses some old titleist blades with lead tape all over the back, but I wouldn't want that on my new set if it could be avoided. Great comments above about turf interaction. The MP59 still beats the Tournament Blades in that respect.

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

[quote name='GolfDiseasedFool' timestamp='1377533107' post='7746777']
Right now Im about a 10 but getting lower as I continue taking lessons and refine my draw and other shaped shots. Not to mention Im a horrible putter.

But Feedback is very important....I love to know when I hit it flush.

The best set of irons I had were a used set of dynacrafts back in the 90s. Man they had a nice sweetspot seemed larger than most irons. I don't know why. I was a worse player also back then.

So feel is important but not everything. It is like buying shoes you cant describe what you want but you will know when you see it. In this case, I will know when I see and feel it.

thanks again....
[/quote]

Tom Wishon was probably behind the Dynacrafts that you like

Some of his models with his own Company are fantastic

new 771 s are forged,great feel and super long having a seperate , very thin face.

[quote name='Leon_First' timestamp='1377370505' post='7737681']
By purely rational arguments, it is difficult not to choose the Mizunos. The only area where the Miuras objectively are better is quality control. But buying Mizzies and having lie angles and lofts checked and adjusted will still be much cheaper than a set of Miuras.

Feel on both is fantastic, and is a bit subjective anyway, even within the same brand. I for example thought that the PP-9003s felt better than the CB-501s (both same shaft), though in theory it should be the other way round. I used to play the MP-53s for a season, and by what I remember (sold the Mizzies), the feel of the PP-9003s and the MP-53s is pretty similar.

All other factors relevant to your game (accuracy, length, forgiveness, etc.) depend on the specific head, and the shaft you choose. For me, the PP-9003s are slightly more forgiving than the MP-53, actually very similar to the 825 Pros.

If you include emotional factors in your decision (like wanting really exclusive clubs, or wanting clubs that are a bit of a piece of art), and money is not really a topic, Miuras are great clubs.
[/quote]have to agree...have hit miura tournament blades and for money, availabilty mizuno is tought to beat....do all my own lie and loft tweaking so there isnt a difference....alot cheaper

miuras were nice no doubt bit think it has more to do with vanity...

I'll add this -- feel has a lot to do with the shaft. If the shaft doesn't transmit the force the way you want, it will feel harsh. The head matters a lot, but don't waste your money on either if you don't get the shafts fitted correctly.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

If you want to get something that feels great like miuras and dont want to spend a fortune give Fourteen a try, their blades look awsome and wedges are top notch also. Feel is very nice. Bridgestones feel very good too because their are endo forged, can get a set for less than 500 used nowadays.

Titleist 913 d2 Oban Devotion 04
TEE XCG6 15* Speeder vc6.0 Stiff
Titleist 909f2 18.5, Mizuno Fli-Hi 21*
Titleist AP2 712 4-PW Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey TVD 54M & 60M S400
Scotty cameron TEi3 Newpot custom

[quote name='slickca21' timestamp='1379388462' post='7863661']
I had the 501 and now the 64s. I don't believe the premium miura charges is worth it. That said, go get fitted.
[/quote]

Not to be contrary just for the sake of it, I spent three weeks hitting an MP64 (went from 59, 54, 53 then 64) and the Miura PP. I really really liked the feel of the MP64 however I just couldn't shake the feeling that the PP was a shade better.

In the end, I decided that I couldn't bag the MP64 as I'd always have the PP in the back of my head. Given that the shortest period I've ever kept a set of irons is 7 years, I didn't want to live with nagging doubt until 2020.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

If money is no object then Miura all day long. I've played Mizuno for many years and Im currently gaming the Miura Baby Blades. I switched from the Miura Tournament Blades which were no less forgiving than the Mizuno MP series. Of the three Miura irons you are interested in Id probably go with the 501's.

Imo: Mizuno = bang for the buck, Miura = Uncompromising quality

M1 460 Driver<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 3 Wood<br /><br /><br /><br /> M1 Hybrid<br /><br /><br /><br /> RSi TP irons PW-4<br /><br /><br /><br /> Edel Wedges 50,55,60<br /><br /><br /><br /> MACHINE M2A Converter Putter<br /><br /><br /><br /> <a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1012489-grapehunters-witb/" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a><br />

• 3 months later...

I tried both Mizzy and Miura before I bought my set and went with Miura. I was worried about going with Miura because everyone seems to say that they dig and are a little harder to hit. I found that to be the opposite for me. The turf interaction is the biggest reason I love these Miura irons. The course I play has tight lie fairways and in the summer is over watered. I was really worried about digging out there and I found it to be awesome. Might be just how I swing but I loved how these CB202 irons reacted with both soft and hard turf.

The Mizzy felt a lot like the titliest AP2 irons. Not much difference to me in both those sets. The CB202 felt quite a bit better then both but mainly because of the aerotech shafts. I'm a huge fan of the aerotech, Miura combination.