2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Most Embarassing Moment on Course

mikpga

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a tournement and playing pretty good. I was teeing off on a really short par four (240ish) with my three wood. I figured i could reach it easy and make eagle or birdie but then i hooked it into the roof of some guys house and it rolled off into his swimming pool that he was swimming in... when i got there he threw it to me and wasn't too mad.

1. Freshman at golf tryouts, on the last hole i take a practice swing and hit the ball

2. visiting a country club, was at the range. hit my driver, the head flys off the club. i run under a tree right behind me like a girl, and then see the head land 100 yards away on the range. the guy in the cart collecting balls (aka the moving target) stops. opens his door as balls are whizzing at him. and stands there with a confused look on his face. i shout and wave him over, with all these country club members looking at me like im some kind of punk. the guy drives over and goes "is this yours?" and with everyone now looking me i go "yes, yes it is"

3. Was at a golf camp, and was golfing with a girl for twilight. she was kinda odd. she golfed with no shoes on, and was the WORST golf cart driver i have ever seen. anyways, we were on the green, and i had a 20 footer for birdie. she goes "if you make this, ill give you a kiss on the cheek." i now have to face the decision. Birdie...or Kiss from weird girl? i hit my putt, and was about 6 inches short. she goes "aw too bad". i get back to the cart.... put 1 under for the hole :drinks:

Brian

NG360 GPS

Nothing has ever really happened to me other than the nervous hook or slice while others are watching, but man have I seen some stuff with the group I used to play golf with.

1. Two buddies in a golf cart rounding a corner on a concrete cart path are trying to get our attention to look at some girl in a backyard. The cart caught just right and he tried to over correct, but over it went. In the event of things, his pants were basically ripped off his asss and he was completely commando. Not only did he get our attention with the fiasco, the hot girl in the backyard was laughing so hard it had us about to cry. Dude sat in the cart for the rest of the round wearing a pullover for paints.

2. You ever play with someone who thinks balls are made of gold? You know, the ones who will hunt every single ball and take risks to get it back? Well, this guy hits into the water on an island green par 3. Just did miss the lowest point of the bank but decides to fish his ball. He ends up slipping from the top of the hill, tries to catch his balance and ends up diving head first into the water. Crazy SOB still grabs his ball on the way out.

3. Playing in a huge corporate event for work, coworker steps up to the first tee and nails a worm burner that hits the tee marker in front of us, careens backwards and cold cocked the starter in the forehead. Damned near knocked the guy out.

I have several more, one including running a cart in a pond that littered the water with about 30 beer cans. A few more pants tearing incidents, someone getting nailed with a ball, flipping a cart going down a steep decline tearing all 4 tires OFF the rims, etc etc

1) This happened to my uncle. He was playing with my dad and my other uncle and at a local muni course he tees it up w/ his driver and roofs it. The ball has so much backspin it goes and lands on the tee deck behind him. My father said it was the worst but most impressive shot he had ever seen.

2) Shooting 118, yes thats right 118 on an easily high 80's low 90's if you play terrible course. It was for my high-school team qualifier in grade 10. I made the team because some guy dropped out and my coach knew I could play better. Needless to say, I never shot that high again for the 7 or 8 courses we played. I have never shot that high ever again either.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

My BIL and i were on vacation in Myrtle Beach. Well i think it is Indian Wells but not sure, on the 18th hole they video your drive and you can go in the club house to watch it. It also has sound, so i tell my BIL who is golfing bad to watch what we say they are tapeing us. He gets up and stripes it down the fairway, i was like way to go that is one worth watching. I get up and hit the worse slice pop up i ever hit, i am having a good round and felt like i ruined it. I start cussing and yelling at myself. I teel up another and rip in down the middle. Well we finish the hole and BIL figures not worth going in to see my tyrade, which he thought was funny. Out of nowhere someone flies out of the club house to ask us if we wanted to see our drives, i calmly on the outside tell him that we need to go. We get in the car and BIL tells me they will use that video at the christmas dinner.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

On the last hole of our 54-hole league finals, which was the par 5 18th of harding golf course in griffith park. (If you haven't played harding the LA zoo runs up the right side of the hole.) I ended up winning league individuals by 11 shots so I figure I was probably up about 14 going into 18. So anywhos I piped my drive and waited about 10 minutes for the green to clear, everyone else in my group layed up and I'm thinking to myself that they are probably expecting some amazing shot so I could end in style. Well, I hit it and it is this low slicing peace-missle scud thing and one of the kids yells "Fo' in the tiger cage!!!!" and my ball just frickin nails the koala house, talk about the shot heard 'round the world that was loud as hell from 150 yards away imagine what it sounded like inside....the koalas are probably frickin deaf now, thanks to me......so much for closing it out in style.....SOLID!!!!

Hmmm.I have heard the "Fo in the Tiger cage" story on more than one occasion.Told by many different people...

It's a pretty standard line for when a shot is going way offline, but what makes it funny at griffith park is that there actually is a zoo next to the course. It's not like that kid made up the "fo in the tiger cage" line.

I don't care, true or not....that's some funny stuff. First time I heard that one! May have to use that myself.

"Fo' in the tiger cage!" :drinks:

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

Getting paired up in Mexico with a threesome from Seattle. I start off 4 under through 8 and the boose has hit the other 3 by now. Were pinning the cart around the corner, over a bridge, and as we make the sharpest turn of my life.. I fly out and scrape my head, my elbow, my knees, and every other part of my body. Disgusting road rash to say the least. I then go onto to finish out 10 more holes with scrapes that I will never forget. Guess all the drunk laughter was worth it when I carded 66.

Hi, as this is my first post on any site I'm not convinced this will work but here goes...

Two events that immediately come to mind for this topic happened to others but would be nonetheless embarassing, I just think they are funny.

1. I was in a tournament with a buddy and we had exchanged cards on the first tee. His tee shot found the trees and caught a terrible lie. His ball was about 6 inches away from a tree trunk , on the wrong side of the tree for a right hander. He had about 160 yds to the pin, and he had a theory that he could swing at full speed, contact the ball, and then stop his club in 2 inches before it smashed into the tree trunk. He did make a mighty swing, and did contact the ball, but there his plan fell apart. The club wrapped around the tree, broke off just above the hosel, and hit him right in the forehead. I was thirty yards off watching for this miracle shot, which did, by the way, advance 40 yards or so. I then looked quickly to my buddy who was in the midst of a hollywood stuntman shooting victim. He was coming to as we reached him. On the fifth tee he asked if I could remember what we had both shot over the last four holes. It could have been serious, but it's real funny now.

2. The second one happened to a buddy who is terrified of birds. The blackbirds on our course were nesting and they get really protective of their territory at this time. Someone had brought up earlier how aggressive the birds had been lately. Soon thereafter my buddy played a wedge shot onto the green from a soft fairway, and dislodged a huge divot that flew up high above his head. The divot landed on his head, and my buddy believing it to be a bird attack proceeded to defend himself with the only weapon he had at hand, his club. He smacked himself in the head with the shaft of his wedge during this "attack" and left a nice welt on his forehead. The "bird" then fell harmlessly to his feet, dead.

2. The second one happened to a buddy who is terrified of birds. The blackbirds on our course were nesting and they get really protective of their territory at this time. Someone had brought up earlier how aggressive the birds had been lately. Soon thereafter my buddy played a wedge shot onto the green from a soft fairway, and dislodged a huge divot that flew up high above his head. The divot landed on his head, and my buddy believing it to be a bird attack proceeded to defend himself with the only weapon he had at hand, his club. He smacked himself in the head with the shaft of his wedge during this "attack" and left a nice welt on his forehead. The "bird" then fell harmlessly to his feet, dead.

That one is the best so far - I almost died loughing reading it. Too bad, I don't have any stories like this to tell..

Noticed the "fo in the zoo" thingy, and it sparked one

My home course of Rackham in Detroit has the detroit zoo right next to it. there isnt an official driving range there, but there is some space to hit balls if you know the right people ;). the "range" is about 20-30 yards wide, and 250 yards long. on the right of the "range" is about a 20 ft fence, on the other side is the zoo and train tracks. just to give you an idea of this "range", after im done hitting balls, i have to go get them :rolleyes: lol.

So i was at the range one day with my headphones on. i pull out my driver, which i now know is HUGE mistake, but this was about 2 years ago, and i was hitting the ball really good that day. so im teein some driver shots, then i hit one. its deep and soaring right. i follow the ball and it misses the train by inches!!!! (mind you it was a train full of about 100 civilians at the zoo) the train was coming in my direction, and i hit towards it. realizing what i did, i dropped my club and ran by a nearby tree to hide.

After that, i grabbed my wedge, and worked on my 100 yard shots :crazy:

NG360 GPS

Getting paired up in Mexico with a threesome from Seattle. I start off 4 under through 8 and the boose has hit the other 3 by now. Were pinning the cart around the corner, over a bridge, and as we make the sharpest turn of my life.. I fly out and scrape my head, my elbow, my knees, and every other part of my body. Disgusting road rash to say the least. I then go onto to finish out 10 more holes with scrapes that I will never forget. Guess all the drunk laughter was worth it when I carded 66.

YOur balls didnt get squased?

This wasn't embarassing for me but was a funny story nonetheless....

Had a foursome, my two brother in laws, a friend of ours and myself. Our friend on the first hole breaks out one of those drivers with the hole in the sole of the club to reduce wind resistance (Air hammer or something like that). Well he takes a few practice swings and the thing sounded like a light sabre. After he hits, all 3 of us (my two brother in laws and myself) at the exact same time say "Luke, I am your father" which, mostly due to the timing had us all cracking up. He proceeded to use it on the next 3 holes in which we all chimed "Luke, I am your father" after every swing. This now had him completely cracking up and he couldn't even take a practice swing anymore. To this day, he hasn't used that club again....LOL.

Ok, some of you may laugh - some will feel my pain . . .

I finally get down to a 2 handicap and decide to play in my first USGA event:

the US Amatuer qualifier.

A young man and Assistant pro that I golf with/bet against on a regular basis agrees to drive the 3 1/2 hours to the event and caddy for me in the event. We talk that night about my practice round where I shot -1 on a course I had never played before. We were both liking my chances and felt that -1 to -2 would get me through nicely.

the morning of the event, I am holing out sand shots, sinking 30ft putts and feeling pretty invincible - cocky even. I'm sitting on the driving range striping easy tempo drives 265 one after another with little effort and feeling even MORE invincible.

then it happens . . . this kid from OU sets up next to me and I swear I can feel the blast of wind from his swing speed on my back. He is blowing by me 10 yards which doesn't affect me until I see what he is hitting - A HYBRID, A FREAKING HYBRID 275! My buddie must see the change in my demeanor because he starts massaging my ego and trying to get my head back to business. I get relaxed and back to business until it is my tee-time and guess who I am paired up with??? That's right, the mutant hybrid kid from OU!

As I didn't pick up a club until I was 30, I had no tournament experience except for Men's Association events. the 1st hole is a 470 yard par 4 which he takes out - you guessed it! His hybrid and just blows it down the fairway. I swing so hard with my Driver that I snap hook it 150 yards out and in the rough.

shots that I had never worried about making were becoming more difficult to impossible by the minute. OU boy is -3 or -4 3/4 of way into round and I am blowing up. I can't even hit a simple 9 iron approach without hitting 3 states behind it! OU boy finishes 1st round with a 66 and is leading the tournament.

Me? 101 - I am so embarrased that I offer to withdraw in case my bad play if affecting his chances to win.

the kid is a total gentleman and so is his father caddying for him. He asks me if this is my first USGA event and I say yes. He tells me that I am not here to win this tournament but to learn how to handle the pressure and that I should NOT withdraw.

We have 30 minutes until the next round and I decide to go to the bathroom and pull myself together. As I am walking by the scoreboard, I see quite a few guys pointing to "some dumb poor bassard" that shot a horrific number and I glance up to see that poor dumb bassard is ME!

Im sitting in the restroom - wanting to quit - embarrassed - but never having ever quit anythig in my life and with a young daughter that had just taken up golf and already had made 4th spot on varsity. What would my quitting signify to her? I decide to play on and walk toward the tee in what is becomming a 30mph sideways wind with the rain coming down harder by the moment.

I turn to my caddie and say, "I'm the only guy out here over 24 - what am I doing here? You can't think like that he pleads with me but to no avail - fear of failure has crept in - trying to play someone elses game has crept in.

We get to the 2nd hole in round 2 and I hit a beautiful draw 3 wood off the tee. The minute it gets past the tree line the wind grabs it and takes it out of bounds. Unshaken, I hit a 2nd ball a lil farther right. this time it catches the wind line angel and goes straight into the 10 foot pampas grass! I tee up yeat a 3rd ball - beautiful draw out of bounds again! Lil more right on the 4th and in the pampas grass again! A marshall yells that they have my ball and I go down to examine it - not my ball! Now I have to trek back to the teebox in the rain and wind with the group behind us sitting there looking at me like I am the satan that is making them wetter. I proceed to hook one out of bounds and then . . . finally hitting my 7th ball I am in play. the sigh of relief from the group on the teebox is deafining as I hot foot it as fast as I can to my ball in play. I take a 16 for the hole! OUCH! ;) In retrospect, a 5 iron hit low on the 3rd shot may have been the better play . . . I shoot 49 for the side but am mentally exhausted - physically exhausted and just want the day to be over. On the last par 3, I almost card and ace and both the OU kid and the Baker kid and their dads are rooting for me. Both of them tell me after the round that they are glad that I didn't quit and that they respect me for sticking it out.

They taught me more about what a golfer should aspire to be than all the stories I had ever heard combined. both them and their dads were excellent examples of true sportsmanship and what a gentleman in golf is. My caddie, bless his heart stuck by me through the worst day of my life in the rain and wind and never complained. We have become best friends and often laugh about it now.

to this day, nothing scares me in golf. I have all the confidence in the world. If they say trials and tribulations build character - than I have an abundance. 24 people withdrew that day - I didn't. My daughter cried with me and used my experience to get herself 8th in conference, 3rd in district and 33rd in state as the number 2 player on her high school team.

Me, I am still learning lessons from that day years ago that are making me a better golfer and a better person.

Ok guys I remember it like it was yeasterday. 16 years old and a fellow player on my team asked me if I wanted to try long cut chewing tobaco. Well lets just say after placing a big wad in my mouth and walking to where my second shot was on the 12 hole. I was in the bunker. Well about the next 12 minutes I dont remember. My buddy said I passed out in the bunker and 3 groups hit up to the green with me laying in the bunker. Well needless to say I was ok. A little water and a few minutes to gain my composer and I was back playing.

Moral of the story..... I have never chewed tobaco again!!!

Scotty B

Oh, lets see.

Playing in a Best Ball tourney and tore my shorts right off getting out of a cart (they snaghged on something). That was fun.

I pushed sliced a drive really badly on Eagle Mountain's 11th hole and put it into a house. When I was walking up the hole a lady yelled down at me that it had landed in a pot of spaghetti. That was cool. Made me hungry though.

• 3 months later...

i was once caddying for an older lady in a competition when i was about 14

she was setting up for a little maybe 40 yard shot into the green and directly to her left was a big tree

i was standing behind the tree also to the left of her, somehow she hits the ball straight up into the tree, it hits a branch, im looking around trying to see where it went and it dropped straight down on top of my head. i felt bad that she had to take a 2 stroke penalty for hitting me, she bought me a nice lunch to apologize though :friends:

1) After making a hole in one on the first hole of an outing to win a Ford Explorer, word spread quickly though the course. By the time I got to the next tee after getting my pic taken, there was probably 50 people watching me tee off. I had never been so nervous in golf. Promptly roll my drive about 60 yards.

2) Made a 70 foot putt at Pacific Dunes . . . . for a triple bogey.

golfing with this cute little old japanese couple on a summer afternoon. Fourth hole and we are waiting for the fairway to clear. I'm taking the lead and am swinging my driver casually near the tees. The little couple are patiently waiting together very quietly on the side near the ball washer. For some reason, I take a full practice swing facing them and manage to hit unbelievably fat, digging up a heap of dirt, grass and pebbles, and just spraying them with debris. The divot itself actually hit the old guy. A tad embarrasing.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably my entire round I shot with my professor in which I shot a 101.

Also at a local CC ona short 120 yard par 3 through woods I hit my gap wedge and continued to slice it to the right and bam hits a tree and comes right the hell back on the tee box.

The worst happened when I was playing a crappy little par 3 ($7 a round) and on one 176 yard hole there is like a wooden beam halfway to the green ~90 yards out. I hit my hybrid and just shant the hell out of it and it rolls along the ground. It then makes it to the wood and bounces strait back, so it was rolling right back at me, rolls onto the tee box and i s*** you not it was within 1 yard of my tee, it was the most amazing thing i have seen. Shame no one saw it.

Made me laugh thinking about it. About 4 years ago I was at Treetops (Signature Course), teed up for a big drive on the first hole with 2 foursomes behind me watching. Topped it so bad, it jumped straight over my head about 10 feet, looked up and caught it in the air. Re-teed it after a generous applause from the gallery. :bad:

I just did this a couple weeks ago. Tore my brand new adidas shorts from the crotch all the way down getting in to the cart. We were only on the 5th hole...

How?!?!

The only thing I can think of is I was leaning up against the cart looking at the yardage on the screen and something got caught. But I didn't feel the shorts tug when I turned away so if it was done then, it was done very quietly.