2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Random conversation thread

Hey Randy,

Make all the prairie wisecracks you want. A company we deal with is actually located in the home town of Laura Inglis Wilder - drove by the house she grew up in when I visited them. And their prairie is way more rolicking than ours. Here, if your dog runs away from home, you can still it running 3 days later.

Alan, it certainly was a little cold that day - clear skies usually mean arctic high pressure system. That being said, I'd way rather have this dry cold than the damp cold you guys get off the Great Lakes. That kind of cold seeps into your bones (and can only be removed with Drambuie).

Have fun shoveling, Fella. Happy I still have teenagers who actually sort of like shoveling snow.

Scott, that cold, damp weather usually arrives here in Chicagoland around Halloween or thereafter. When we have an Indian summer (can I say that anymore?), the change in temps becomes brutal. You are right, it is bone chilling and feels much worse than a January or February day after a snowfall. Once it gets cold here, a dry, crisp, single digit Fahrenheit day or below zero reading isn't that bad. However, once 33° arrives, the coats stay in the closet and the golf shorts come out!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

No shoveling for this lad! That's a young person's game (and didn't like it even then). A heavy, wet snow. Was a load to move it even with the two-stage Husqvarna. Winter rules are in effect today, but least I've got a good lie. The Mrs. suggested that I post a snapshot to all my "internet" friends.

Doug,

Touche', well done my friend!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Nothing quite as mundane as shoveling snow for me yesterday. ;) Number 2 son is a vinyard manager in Niagara and the bottling truck was in yesterday at the winery. 19000 litres was the through put for the day or just a bit more than 2000 cases! If any of you have done assembly line work, you'll know what I mean. There hasn't been much that I've done that is tougher on the body than that job! Sure the line is automated, but you still have to load the empties in by hand and then pack the cases with full bottles by hand and stack cases on the skid by hand. You have to respect folks that do work of this nature on a fulltime basis. Rather than complaining I guess I will have to be thankful that I can still be useful and do jobs like that. Moving pretty slow this morning though... :lazy2:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Good job helping out #2 son get the product out the door. Line work IS hard work. Did it summers during my schooling years. GM truck assembly factory, made good money though. Curious, were you compensated for your labour with hard currency or bottles of wine?

And on a random note, why is one bottle of wine never enough and two bottles usually overindulgent? Can polish off a bottle pretty much solo (do pour the Mrs. a glass), on a Sunday afternoon while cooking up Italian fare.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Good job helping out #2 son get the product out the door. Line work IS hard work. Did it summers during my schooling years. GM truck assembly factory, made good money though. Curious, were you compensated for your labour with hard currency or bottles of wine?

And on a random note, why is one bottle of wine never enough and two bottles usually overindulgent? Can polish off a bottle pretty much solo (do pour the Mrs. a glass), on a Sunday afternoon while cooking up Italian fare.

1. Yes we do get paid and it's decent money too when you factor in the nature of the work and being able to get someone reliable on a very part time basis. The wine is just a perk.

2. Perhaps it's just the Italian blood coursing through your veins (or substitute any other ethnic group where food is such a central part of their culture). We drink wine everyday with the evening meal. Does that make us overindulgent or just European? There's something to be said for cooking with wine and I don't mean wine in the dish necessarily. ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

That's me. A couple glasses making dinner, and a couple with dinner, and then another couple while relaxing on the couch, and the next day I'm wondering how did I drink that much? Wine is just too yummy.

In France and Italy it is customary to drink one bottle per adult with every dinner. I remember long ago for a few summers a couple cousins of my ex from France would spend a week with us while they visited the Jesrey shore. They were beautiful girls and would sometimes walk around in their undies, but that's another story. One night we were talking about partying, and one of them said, 'I'm not a drinker, I just have a bottle of wine with dinner every night...' And we were like, 'Wait, you're not a drinker but you have a bottle of wine every nigh?' And she was like, 'What? It's just wine!'.

I'm not much of a drinker, a bottle of wine would put me in the ER. Anyhow, I recall after golf, a pal ordered a glass of wine while we were sitting and chatting. That wine looked so good, I ordered a glass. After 15 or 20 minutes, I rose to leave, and bobbled back to my chair. Not a good idea to drink anything alcoholic on an empty stomach. I had to drink a cup of coffee before I drove home.

Years ago, I used to work with a married woman, who after one wine cooler, tried to put the make on me. I felt like Benjamin, in the Mrs. Robinson movie, the Graduate. (I ignored her advances.)

Vino can be dangerous. Two French girls in undies and wine, WOW.

I think I need to take a nap.

Update on the pings. I didn't go and get them. I watched Daytona and figured I really didn't need them. I did take another plunge into something new for me. I have entered this event

http://nwhickoryplayers.org/2015/12/march-5-lynnwood-golf-course-edmonds-community-college/

I will have to borrow / rent some sticks. From what everyone here has said, slow down. I am a bit nervous I have a steep swing and am afraid I might snap one?

Thanks for letting me come on here and ramble........................

Jimmy b

Would agree on the slow down advice. Feel like you are giving the club a bit more time at the top, not pausing or anything, just a smoother transition.

Was a surprise to me how much pressure you could put across the shaft. Twisting feels like it could go anywhere, but otherwise don't be afraid to give it some stick.

I've always picked the ball quite cleanly though and even I can get a mashie-niblick raising turf. Don't know how you swing the club, but if you are on the steeper side do let me know if you reach magma.

I agree with Jonny, in my recollection no ill was ever caused by slowing the backswing and transition. A slight intent of a pause at the top does wonders for my fluidity when I get quick and violence rules the day.

Also, like our cousin from across the pond I am of the opinion that for the majority of us "picking it clean" is the way to go on all but a few speciality type shots. Now, there are simple things you can do that will help manifest this. A shallower swing can be achieved with setup and rhythm. For myself, if I am getting too steep, which I can do being my stock shot of choice a high fade, I spend some time on the range, headphones in, listening to a collection of waltz arrangements, hitting half shots with the trail foot back drill.

Just my thoughts. Have a great time at the event. Remember, no one has their name in the bag and its all in a spirit of communality.

JB, good luck as well. That's "balls to the wall" fearless. Playing hickory with no prior experience. Perhaps the best way to approach it. Nothing but high expectations. Still just a golf club and a ball, right? I've been very intrigued with playing hickory this season. Maybe....reaching out and asking to play with a local group that's around these parts. So be sure to report back to us with your experiences. Interested in your impressions.

One of the trepidations I have is with the apparel. Could do the plus fours, they look cool. Even the newsboy style lid. Have a couple of Kangol hats I wear. Don't have any fancy shoes, so will have to make do. But a noose, don't know about that. I stopped wearing ties, unless absolutely forced to, once I retired. Can't imagine playing golf so lassoed.

Update on the pings. I didn't go and get them. I watched Daytona and figured I really didn't need them. I did take another plunge into something new for me. I have entered this event

http://nwhickoryplay...munity-college/

I will have to borrow / rent some sticks. From what everyone here has said, slow down. I am a bit nervous I have a steep swing and am afraid I might snap one?

Thanks for letting me come on here and ramble........................

Jimmy b

That event seems like a lot of fun. I play hickory a few times a year, I actually feel I could play hickory exclusively. A slower swing is essential. My swing speed was never fast, so I never had a problem with hickory. Years ago, I happened on a couple hickory clubs at an antique store, a driving iron and a mashie niblick. I was playing with a pal, and put the two hickory clubs in the bag. On a short par 4, I hit the driving iron about 175, and put the niblick (75 yards or so) a foot from the pin. My buddy, says, "Do you realize how intimidating that is? I just shrugged. I bought a refurbished half set (Glen Call in Scotland) after that, had some good games and an equal number of bad games since.

Play well!

Hickory is nothing to be nervous about.

Well my American friends, as a Canadian, I feel your pain as you go through what seems to be an endless primary season.

Fascinating to us Canucks as we have legislated short election cycles, with limits on candidate funding, restrictions on 3rd party advertising, and campaign spending limits.

That being said, I am now compulsively watching US news channels, as this is officially the most compelling thing I've seen on TV in years. The fracture in the Republican party reminds me a great deal of the schism that occurred in the Progressive Conservative party in Canada back in the early 90's. Although this was somewhat repaired in the interests of getting back into power, we seem to be living in a day and age where social conservatism is breaking away from fiscal conservatism.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Understood Randy, not meaning to cause fractious debate, but more to get the perspective from "regular" Americans about what's going on.

But yes, compelling like live coverage of a hurricane.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Well my American friends, as a Canadian, I feel your pain as you go through what seems to be an endless primary season.

Fascinating to us Canucks as we have legislated short election cycles, with limits on candidate funding, restrictions on 3rd party advertising, and campaign spending limits.

That being said, I am now compulsively watching US news channels, as this is officially the most compelling thing I've seen on TV in years. The fracture in the Republican party reminds me a great deal of the schism that occurred in the Progressive Conservative party in Canada back in the early 90's. Although this was somewhat repaired in the interests of getting back into power, we seem to be living in a day and age where social conservatism is breaking away from fiscal conservatism.

Scott - PROGRESSIVE CONSERVATIVE? Is that an oxymoron or the new definition of a RINO?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Scott - PROGRESSIVE CONSERVATIVE? Is that an oxymoron or the new definition of a RINO?

Dammit, you beat me to it. That's better than JUMBO SHRIMP. What's a RINO?

I think this election is a perfect mirror of US society becoming more polarized and divided. Right wing conservatives backing further into their corner, wanting women to go back to being housewives and letting big business run things like the days of JP Morgan and Carnegie, the unwashed pro wrestling masses who are tired of political BS and simply love the base, direct confrontational shtick of Trump, and the idealists who are tired of big business running the government. I think Hillary is the only one who somewhat represents the midpoint of her party, although she (perhaps unwittingly) jumped on Bernie's bandwagon by saying "I AM a progressive!". The United States as a whole is diverging rather than converging, and I don't think that is a good direction.

Dammit, you beat me to it. That's better than JUMBO SHRIMP. What's a RINO?

I think this election is a perfect mirror of US society becoming more polarized and divided. Right wing conservatives backing further into their corner, wanting women to go back to being housewives and letting big business run things like the days of JP Morgan and Carnegie, the unwashed pro wrestling masses who are tired of political BS and simply love the base, direct confrontational shtick of Trump, and the idealists who are tired of big business running the government. I think Hillary is the only one who somewhat represents the midpoint of her party, although she (perhaps unwittingly) jumped on Bernie's bandwagon by saying "I AM a progressive!". The United States as a whole is diverging rather than converging, and I don't think that is a good direction.

Republican In Name Only

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Hey Alan,

Instead of throwing tea in Boston harbour, us Canadians have remained steadfast members of the British Commonwealth. So in some ways, we've retained many "British" qualities in our politics.

In Canada, social issues (abortion, LGBT rights, religion, etc) rarely if ever float up in politics. Certainly Conservatives tend to have more conservative social values, but conservatism in Canada is more a view of government's role in society. For example, I identify as a conservative, as I believe taxation is regressive, that beaureaucracy has become self-perpetuating, and government should have a limited role in the affairs of citizens, and only engage in areas where it needs to (like universal health care, military, etc)

I also believe in immigration, that religion has no place in schools or government, and that human rights are inalienable, regardless of someone's gender identification, race, religion, or gender. This does not disqualify me from being conservative - it makes me "progressive".

This is why I find the current level of rhetoric in US politics so interesting. When one ties their political identity so strongly to personal convictions (such as their religious beliefs), rancour is sure to follow. How can one be objective about what is for the common good if it flies directly in the face of emotional personal belief?

In our last federal election last year, the ruling Conservatives were thrown out of office because they tried (at least by Canadian standards) a xenophobic, scare tactic, fearmongering type of campaign. I like to think that as a society built on common law tradition, Canadians appreciate that although something may not be in their own personal interest, they recognize when something will benefit society as a whole.

It's like health care. Is the Canadian system perfect? No. Do some of us pay an inordinate amount of tax to provide for the care of others? Yes. But what are the alternatives?

The US government spends more per capita on health care than any other modern country, yet is one of the few (if any) that does not have universal health care. Why is this? Is it the triumph of the individual (or corporation) over the common good? Has rhetoric and emotion overcome people's ability to look at what benefits society as a whole, not just themselves?

Maybe I'm just waiting for someone in the GOP to say "Geez people, we're better than this". Instead, It just seems to be a race to the bottom (excepting Gov. Kasich).

And alas, no more Rhino party. For those unfamiliar with the Rhinos (current party lack the bite of its predecessor):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinoceros_Party_of_Canada_(1963%E2%80%9393)

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Just returned from a week's holiday in the Dominican Republic. It was glorious to leave behind the last vestiges of winter and get a taste of that long lost sun and heat from summers past. We had thought of getting a round of golf in but were quickly convinced otherwise by the $145 price per player for the round with rentals and cart. As it turned out a freak incident groping for thongs in the sand while bent over led to a pinched nerve in my back so golf would have been out of the question even if I wanted to.

We met a lovely couple from Cincinnati that we ended up sharing a cabana with for a few days. They were retired high school teachers that we were able to build a fast friendship with due to our shared experiences. I kept asking Dave to confirm that we weren't actually long lost brothers! Eventually the "P" word came up and the conversation moved to the Presidential Primaries and impending elections. Dave is a life long Republican and Bronwyn and avowed Democrat. That made for some interesting conversation as they absolutely didn't see eye-to-eye on just about any issue, but we did have a very civil debate on the topics and perceptions. That was the first time I had ever engaged in that sort of discussion with Americans always preferring to maintain a strict "No-Fly Zone" on that subject due to perceptions of the differences. Strangely enough, I don't think that there are many difference anymore. Oh sure, the system of government is different and some of the laws and policies are definitely different, but I don't really see the disparity in political viewpoint that there once was say 40 years ago. Perhaps the testament to this was when on an unrelated topic Bronwyn asked how we managed to get to Cuba as it wasn't open? She forgot that we were from Canada. (cool)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Good post Sco.

Interesting about your visit as I know there's more Americans out there who are capable of having vital, civil discourse over important matters. I don't think we see many of them on TV, nor have a large number been elected to Congress or the Senate, based on the partisan nature of current politics.

You mentioned that both were teachers - I wonder if that was a factor as both are likely educated and engaged in the political process, versus being anti-politics protest voters?

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Back when I was still a working stiff, traveled into Canada with regularity on business. Calling on clients rom Windsor up to Mississauga. Several of which I would call friends. Breaking bread together, occasionally playing in a golf outing or two, etc. ALWAYS found Canadians friendly and engaging. And I do not say that just because of the several that post around here. A topic that I did not actively pursue but came up from time to time was their view of the United States. And conversely my view of Canada. Topics such health care, guns, national politics, taxes....always found the perspectives interesting. Sometimes fueled by a few Molson Exports. I'm not going to post the litany of all things discussed other than to say that they found Americans admirable and interesting. I reciprocated with same. The United States, as a nation state, not so much. This has been 15 years past now, maybe opinion has changed. But I did find it refreshing. We sometimes think entirely to provincial.

Can't really post what I would like to say. Would risk banishment. This may even be deleted. Very troubled by what is currently taking place in the "body politic" these days. Perhaps a system sufficiently broke by money, power and corruption that it's beyond repair. Seemingly, the "art of compromise" in order to govern for the public good has been lost. Either your 100% in lock step with my ideology, or your the enemy. Dangerous rhetoric, unrealistic (false) promises, fanning of a Nationalistic fervor, increasing need to point fingers at "them" as the source of the problems. All the while, never addressing the real issues that exist and need immediate attention. Wish I could regain some of my idealism, think things will get better. It's been drained away. Now just want to ignore it, not engage, wish the whole process would end.

Very dangerous to not pay attention. Thats how Despots are created. Primary day here, suppose I should go vote. It is by duty. Take my ballot, select no one, and stick in the counting machine. Only way I can vote...."None of the Above".

Thanks for an insightful post Fella, and appreciate that you will still go vote. Unfortunate that you feel that "none of the above" is your only real choice. But when one considers the media scrutiny and savaging every candidate takes, it is easy to understand why our best and brightest may not be attracted to a career in public service.

I mean I watched a very Liberal politician (Mr. Sanders) who has a history of standing up for minorities and civil rights get savaged for using the word "ghetto" in a debate by the same groups he has spent his life advocating for. If this is how people treat their friends, who'd want this as a career?

Although I'm not all that old, as a young man, a career in the public service or politics was still seen as honorable. Nowadays? Not so much.

I often wonder (and this is a Canadian problem as well) if voters understand that Democracy only works if they are educated?

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA)