2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotland

Cwing

Headed to Scotland in August 2014. What to take? How to prepare? What to expect? Advice/suggestions?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take clothing that you can layer. You never know about the weather. It can be cold and windy or rainy or beautiful. So you need to be prepared for all situations.
A pair of rain gloves is a must. Two pair of shoes are also a must. If you plan to wear shorts ,most places will require knee high socks!!
NEVER wear a hat in any clubhouse.
Google golf in Scotland to see all the courses.
Walk around the town of ST ANDREWS it is beautiful. Lots of pubs. Be sure to visit the old cemetary where old TOM and YOUNG TOM MORRIS are buried.
The old course is very hard to get on. If you need a tee time ,you need to book one year in advance. If you are a single you can see the starter early in the morning and they can usually fill you in with a threesome. If you have two you can also try this method or you can go into a lottery for the next day. They post
the winners the next day at Dunvegens pub.
If you can't get on the old course I recommend NORTH BERICK , PRESTWICK, WESTERN GAILES, GULLANE # 1.If $ is no object play KINGSBARNS.
If you can, play TURNBERRY and CARNOUSTIE.

Have a great time

Don't take anything you can buy there. Schlepping a hundred pounds of luggage through airports and ground transportation can be the worst part of an otherwise wonderful trip. If you think you'll be buying some souvenir jackets or sweaters or shirts or whatever, then pack that many fewer items to take with you. Don't take golf towels, that's a great thing to pick up with a course logo (cheaper than souvenir clothing).

Throw a couple sleeves of golf balls in your bag and buy the rest over there, some people drag four or five pounds of golf balls all the way across an ocean just to save 30 bucks on a trip that costs 100x that. Choose clothing that is flexible.

Ideally don't pack any clothing that you'll only wear if it's over 75F...because it may never get near that warm. And don't pack something you'll only wear if it's under 45F because it may never get that cool. I stick to lightweight long slacks (like the super-packable UnderArmour golf pants) and a mix of short-sleeve and light/thin long sleeve golf shirts.

Pack one bungee cord to secure your golf bag to any trolley you rent at a golf course. Saves a lot of aggravation if you get a trolley on which your bag doesn't sit squarely.

If you can find a set of street shoes to wear on the trip that you can play golf in if needs be, then you can get by packing just one pair of actual golf shoes. That's a huge savings in weight and bulk. I have a pair of Ecco walking/hiking shoes (Vibram soles with a bit of a waffle pattern to them) that happen to be GoreTex lined. Look fine as "street shoes" on the plane or walking around but if my golf shoes get wet I can play a round of golf in them no problem.

I'm a clean freak when it comes to my golf clubs so I stick a couple of worn-out washcloths in my bag. A couple times during the grip I can use them to scrub the grips and clubheads then throw them away rather than ruining the hotel's towels.

Wear something on the plane you can play golf in. If at all possible schedule a round of golf the day of arrival. Do NOT take an overnight TATL flight then pitch up somewhere and sleep during the day when you arrive. Fresh air, exercise, golf if possible and staying awake until the sun goes down are the best cure for jet-lag.

If you can't acquire a UK mobile phone SIM card before leaving (they are available on eBay but getting signed up with a USA credit card can be a hassle) then make time to stop at a Carphone Warehouse store on arrival. Buy a cheap "burner" phone with a SIM card from Nomi, T-Mobile UK or one of the other brands that offer dirt-cheap international calling. Whatever you do, don't play AT&T or somebody a thousand bucks worth of roaming and data-roaming charges while you're there.

The minute you clear customs, while you're waiting for your luggage, go to an ATM and withdraw a couple hundred pounds in cash. If there's going to be a problem with your ATM card being accepted you want to know that as early as possible and get on the phone to have it straightened out back home. Withdraw the maximum amount with each ATM visit as the services charges tend to be per-transaction, not per-dollar. Likewise, call your credit card companies and ATM card bank-issuer before leaving and tell them you will be using them overseas.

Just got back from 12 days and the worst day of weather was 65 with cloudy, light wind. Weather there is always unpredictable and we just got lucky -- except for packing wind/rain suits and never using them.
Read the earlier referenced book for it is quite good and reliable. Check with the Old Course calendar to see if there are possible conflicts with your trip dates. Otherwise, we found it easy to get on. We relied on the ballot and walk up, and played three times in four days with eight players (we had to split up at times however). The New Course is a good test as well.
St. Andrews is a great town and the people of Scotland are wonderful.
Carnoustie -- especially the last five or six holes, was great. We enjoyed a local course in that area, Crail Balcomie a whole bunch. Not in the championship category but wonderfully unique and local. Kingsbarn is special as well.
Start trying now to get on Muirfield. It's the hardest I think, to get on.

Headed to the other course, Dondonald and Western Gailes were quite good. Troon was fine but Turnberry Ailsa was great -- especially the hotel.
We're already planning on going back next June and rather than use a group travel service, we're contracting directly with a driver and are calling hotels and golf courses on our own. There is a publication called ScottishClubGolfer which we found helpful on some clubs and deals in the country.

Caddies are mostly quite good -- except possibly for a few who work early rounds at the Old Course. They will be more worried about getting a second loop than your round.
And I might say, just relax and look forward to it all. We worried about everything and the 12 days we were there were some of the most pleasant and enjoyable.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1381428460' post='7982023']
Don't take anything you can buy there. Schlepping a hundred pounds of luggage through airports and ground transportation can be the worst part of an otherwise wonderful trip. If you think you'll be buying some souvenir jackets or sweaters or shirts or whatever, then pack that many fewer items to take with you. Don't take golf towels, that's a great thing to pick up with a course logo (cheaper than souvenir clothing).

Throw a couple sleeves of golf balls in your bag and buy the rest over there, some people drag four or five pounds of golf balls all the way across an ocean just to save 30 bucks on a trip that costs 100x that. Choose clothing that is flexible.

Ideally don't pack any clothing that you'll only wear if it's over 75F...because it may never get near that warm. And don't pack something you'll only wear if it's under 45F because it may never get that cool. I stick to lightweight long slacks (like the super-packable UnderArmour golf pants) and a mix of short-sleeve and light/thin long sleeve golf shirts.

Pack one bungee cord to secure your golf bag to any trolley you rent at a golf course. Saves a lot of aggravation if you get a trolley on which your bag doesn't sit squarely.

If you can find a set of street shoes to wear on the trip that you can play golf in if needs be, then you can get by packing just one pair of actual golf shoes. That's a huge savings in weight and bulk. I have a pair of Ecco walking/hiking shoes (Vibram soles with a bit of a waffle pattern to them) that happen to be GoreTex lined. Look fine as "street shoes" on the plane or walking around but if my golf shoes get wet I can play a round of golf in them no problem.

I'm a clean freak when it comes to my golf clubs so I stick a couple of worn-out washcloths in my bag. A couple times during the grip I can use them to scrub the grips and clubheads then throw them away rather than ruining the hotel's towels.

Wear something on the plane you can play golf in. If at all possible schedule a round of golf the day of arrival. Do NOT take an overnight TATL flight then pitch up somewhere and sleep during the day when you arrive. Fresh air, exercise, golf if possible and staying awake until the sun goes down are the best cure for jet-lag.

If you can't acquire a UK mobile phone SIM card before leaving (they are available on eBay but getting signed up with a USA credit card can be a hassle) then make time to stop at a Carphone Warehouse store on arrival. Buy a cheap "burner" phone with a SIM card from Nomi, T-Mobile UK or one of the other brands that offer dirt-cheap international calling. Whatever you do, don't play AT&T or somebody a thousand bucks worth of roaming and data-roaming charges while you're there.

The minute you clear customs, while you're waiting for your luggage, go to an ATM and withdraw a couple hundred pounds in cash. If there's going to be a problem with your ATM card being accepted you want to know that as early as possible and get on the phone to have it straightened out back home. Withdraw the maximum amount with each ATM visit as the services charges tend to be per-transaction, not per-dollar. Likewise, call your credit card companies and ATM card bank-issuer before leaving and tell them you will be using them overseas.
[/quote]
This post contains more good tips than the OP could have expected to receive. +1000

[quote name='johnnylongball' timestamp='1381504217' post='7986871']

[/quote]
This post contains more good tips than the OP could have expected to receive. +1000
[/quote]

I totally agree, some excellent advice for the OP. Although I live in Scotland (very close to Troon/Prestwick), I guess I would have taken a lot of these things for granted as local. Sure, I can help with Courses to play and travel etc, but I'm not a traveller to Scotland, so I wouldn't have thought of some of those things. I just go out my door and 5 mins down the road and i'm at Prestwick/Troon, so hats off to the poster. Some nice finer details there!

One of our nieces went on a senior-year school trip to London a few summers ago. I loaned her my cheap Nokia phone with a Nomi SIM, loaded up with 30-40 pounds of credit. Being able to just pull out the phone and dial home any time she liked, she thought I was a genius. I think she shared the phone with some of her mates and still came back with half the credit intact. I've traveled with guys who spent more in roaming with their iPhone that I spent on green fees+beer for the week.

One tip I left out. If you need a place to stay the night before your flight home, look for a Premier Inn. The ones I've stayed in are reasonably priced even when within a couple miles of the airport and they are cleaner and better sorted than the majority of $100/night Holiday Inns back home in USA. Great, great one-night budget option.

Awesome stuff guys. Keep it coming. August 2014 will be here very soon.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1381270938' post='7972301']
Headed to Scotland in August 2014. What to take? How to prepare? What to expect? Advice/suggestions?
[/quote]

I visited Scotland for my first time September 8 and stayed 3 nights at Turnberry Resort and played Turnberry and Royal Troon. The weather was 55-70 with wind but no rain. If on that side of Scotland I would encourage you to play these, both filled with Open history and fantastic experiences. From Turnberry I drove to St. Andrews and that round was cool and misty. My favorite non-golf part of Scotland was the castles, especially Culzean near Turnberry and the castle in Edinburgh.

Virgin Atlantic mishandled my clubs and I had to rent my first day at Turnberry. Next trip I may ship my clubs in advance.

If you get the chance to play Muirfield you're kinda stuck. Because its Muirfield you almost have to play.....but they're gonna make you play alternate shot and you've gotta get all kinds of dressed up for lunch.

Take rain wear. They good stuff.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='arkyrab' timestamp='1381793245' post='8001545']
[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1381270938' post='7972301']
[/quote]

I visited Scotland for my first time September 8 and stayed 3 nights at Turnberry Resort and played Turnberry and Royal Troon. The weather was 55-70 with wind but no rain. If on that side of Scotland I would encourage you to play these, both filled with Open history and fantastic experiences. From Turnberry I drove to St. Andrews and that round was cool and misty. My favorite non-golf part of Scotland was the castles, especially Culzean near Turnberry and the castle in Edinburgh.

Virgin Atlantic mishandled my clubs and I had to rent my first day at Turnberry. Next trip I may ship my clubs in advance.
[/quote]

Anyone shipping clubs? Who did you use? How did you package? Any trouble with pick up/delivery? Do they go to the hotel or do you pick them up? Estimated cost?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

I think it'll cost a bloody fortune to ship your clubs TATL but it's probably doable if you are going to a golf resort or other place that will take responsibility for signing for them and holding them until you arrive. It's going to be a couple hundred bucks, minimum. I'd definitely arrange for them to arrive early with several days to spare, in case there's a delay in HM Customs when they arrive at the UK end.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1381504720' post='7986937']

[/quote]
[/quote]

I totally agree, some excellent advice for the OP. Although I live in Scotland (very close to Troon/Prestwick), I guess I would have taken a lot of these things for granted as local. Sure, I can help with Courses to play and travel etc, but I'm not a traveller to Scotland, so I wouldn't have thought of some of those things. I just go out my door and 5 mins down the road and i'm at Prestwick/Troon, so hats off to the poster. Some nice finer details there!
[/quote]

Hi Jay 65,

I'm planning to be in Scotland Aug 2014. This year, Turnberry had a package where you stay 2 nights and play Prestwick, Turnberry and Troon.

They are getting back to me on whether it still applies for 2014.

If not, when would be the latest you would book the courses for an Aug trip?

At the moment, I'm only a single.

Thanks

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1381793443' post='8001567']
If you get the chance to play Muirfield you're kinda stuck. Because its Muirfield you almost have to play.....but they're gonna make you play alternate shot and you've gotta get all kinds of dressed up for lunch.

[/quote]

Just played there and in the mornings it is not alternate shot...afternoon it is unless to real busy then hey we're letting twosomes play their own ball. Take a blazer, dress shirt and tie to wear with golf slacks for lunch....a very cool experience.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

Do not use a travel agency. Do the bookings yourself. You save alot of money which could be spent on green fees. For my next trip playing in St Andrews 4 days of golf including Old Course will be £22(New, Castle, Jubiliee)5+£165 (old course). Found a B&B for £50 pp/night. Ryan Air or similar to get there and a taxi firm for transportation from Edingburg to St Andrews and back.

If you are interested I can provide you with B&B:s, transportation for Prestwick-, Dornoch- and Gullane/murfield- area.

5 trips and no rain :-)

[quote name='Mike T' timestamp='1381796764' post='8001865']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1381504720' post='7986937']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi Jay 65,

I'm planning to be in Scotland Aug 2014. This year, Turnberry had a package where you stay 2 nights and play Prestwick, Turnberry and Troon.

They are getting back to me on whether it still applies for 2014.

If not, when would be the latest you would book the courses for an Aug trip?

At the moment, I'm only a single.

Thanks
[/quote]

Hiya

Firstly, try and go on the individual Course websites and book directly online. Its easy peasy! And most Courses are far more accommodating than you may think.

The deal that applies to Troon/Turnberry/Prestwick, sounds like a nice deal, but do your homework on that, just to make sure its a better deal than doing it individually. Sometimes these things look like a good deal, but then when you add it all up, it may be quite so attractive. So, definately do your homework on that. Prestwick is a fabulous Golf Course, not to everyones cup of tea, as its quite quirky, but the history and fun factor is second to none imo. And the Club is extremely friendly.

I know somebody with a really lovely self catering 3 bed House in Troon, that I can give you the website address of if you want to go independent. It's within minutes of most of the Golf Courses in Ayrshire, and a gorgeous House. Shoot me a PM if you want any help with that. Sometimes its nice to go self catering as you can come and go as you please.

As for the booking, all I would say is, earlier the better for peace of mind, but feasibly, you could probably still book in May/June for you August trip. But the best advice would be in the Spring if possible would be the latest I would want to book, but as I said, most Courses are fairly flexible.

Also, if you want any help with other Courses in the area, please feel free to mention it in your PM.

Speak soon

Jay

I went to Scotland in May 2008. Greatest trip I ever made. Things I learned from the trip that might help:

1. Rent a car and drive!! The rates are fair, the countryside is beautiful, and driving on the left side of the road is easier than you may think. And roundabouts are WAY better than a bunch of red lights

2. Pack light. I never saw 65 degrees so shorts et al were out. A few under garments and a nice pullover/wind shirt will do the trick. I played most days in a turtle neck with golf shirt over top.
3. If you can't get a cell phone/UK SIM card, use Skype. Wifi is free everywhere and it costs like .03 per minute to dial USA. I called my family every night for an hour and didn't go through $15 for the 8 days.
4. If you can, avoid going through London Heathrow. Delays are bad and luggage worse. Had a 3 hr layover and got to connecting gate with 45 minutes to spare and you will have to go through security again!! My clubs were delayed 1 flight both to Edinburgh and back home to Philadelphia. United flys directly to Edinburgh and Glasgow from Newark and USAir to Glasgow from Phila. I highly recommend a direct flight if you can get one. Worth extra $100-200 in costs
5. Play courses that are out of the open rota. Most are phenomenal and basically free of other players. Rates are very reasonable too. Royal corniche might be the very best golf course I have ever played. I highly recommend heading north for a few days to play around Inverness. Cruden bay in a treat as well but out of the way a bit.
6. When in St Andrews, walk the old course in the evening yo get familiar with the layout. Whole place is public grounds so you are entitled to do so. Can save on caddie fees although I do recommend you take at least one during trip. Say hello to Gordon at the Russell hotel, great little place just up the scores from R+A. Walk the auld grey toon as well. It's only been there for over 1000 years!!! Wonderful place, cathedral is phenomenal. Old tom Morris grave a must as well.
7. Your putter is your friend from 50 yards and in. Much easier than chipping as the turf is much firmer that you have probably ever seen. Punch shots only work if you're skilled enough to execute them. Best advise for wind is swing smooth with more club.
8. Most of all....ENJOY your experience!!! Scotland was the most beautiful, welcoming, wonderful place I gave ever gone. The golf is just a huge bonus. The people are great and the golf tremendous. Take it all in. I will go back one day, just not sure when??

Cheers!!

DR

XR16 pro Kiyoshi White 60S
XR16 pro 16 Speeder 765s
Cleveland Launcher 21 Rifle 6.0
<br />2013 X Forged PXi 6.0 4-pw<br />MD chrome 50, MD Chrome 54, MD2 Slate 58<br />Versa BWB #1 W 34"

[quote name='buckI' timestamp='1381798105' post='8002021']
[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1381793443' post='8001567']

[/quote]

Just played there and in the mornings it is not alternate shot...afternoon it is unless to real busy then hey we're letting twosomes play their own ball. Take a blazer, dress shirt and tie to wear with golf slacks for lunch....a very cool experience.
[/quote]

They made us play alternate shot. It was afternoon. Dress up for lunch, play golf, dress up for dinner. It was very cool but I wanted to play my own ball.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

• 2 weeks later...

If this were my trip - and oh how I wish it was - I'd consider booking with one of the full service tour companies. There are many out there, Forbes recently named [url="http://www.haversham.com"]Haversham & Baker[/url] the best of the bunch. There are just so many things to try and keep track of with a trip like this, to me it was worth the extra $ to have someone handle all of the details. The last thing I want to think about on #17 tee at the Old Course is if I remembered to make a dinner reservation for that evening. Either way, you're going to have a remarkable trip - just my 3.5 cents worth:)

Layers. This has been covered, but is worth repeating. Light and flexible. A sweater vest and short sleeved wind jacket are the first things to pack in your bag.

Take time to walk around the time. It truly is an amazing place. We spent 3 days there, and walked around every day. Visit the castle, cathedral, off the path areas.

Breath it all in. Everyone we saw in Scotland was so friendly. It was amazing how nice EVERYONE was, no matter where we were.