2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Club membership costs in northern suburbs of Chicago

zer0

4 hours ago, PUTTINGFROMTHEROUGH said:

This is great, I love to see this bumped up as it seems like "the market is moving" with the north shore clubs.  I'd love to know if the "call and ask" works at any of the clubs mentioned.  I'm fortunate enough to play each one mentioned somewhere between occasionally and regularly and I get the distinct feeling that such measures would not be well-received.  There's a story often told at Glen View Club, possibly apocryphal, about someone who built a house next to the course (the big one b/t 12 & 13) and then walked up to the front desk and asked how to join, laughs always follow. 

I don't know about younger member prices but from what I can tell the downstroke seems to be $50-100K (and more to high end than low end of that range) at these clubs for regular membershhips, so some of the quotes for ~$40K for junior makes sense to me.  I'm certainly not the end-all opinion on this, just adding a different perspective.  I look forward to seeing what you find out.

I've been toying with joining a club the last few years, most clubs are more than happy to discuss membership with you or email you information.  Some will just hand it over, some vet out your situation first, but so far I've had zero problems emailing/calling and asking, some of them put on the hard sell and want you to come on out for a tour ect before discussing.   Your higher end clubs are a different story, most of them will require a sponsor before they'll talk to you.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

The junior membership deals of 2017/2018 have definitely gone by the wayside. Unfortunate, but hard to imagine they'll come back for quite some time either.

Most of the places I've talked to have either sent over membership information easily, or had a call / offered a tour to start the process. One place, and I'm sure many others, was unwilling to provide any information without a sponsor first. Also seems that most places are currently on a waitlist. 

Ping G430 LST w/ Ping Tour Black 2.0 75x
Titleist TS3 3 Wood w/ MCA Diamana D+ Limited 80TX

Titleist U-500 3 Iron w/ MCA Tensei CK Pro White 100X
Titleist 2023 T150 4-GW w/ Project X 6.5
Vokey SM9 54/60 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Onyx Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Champion's Choice Newport 2

• 3 months later...
On 1/16/2014 at 7:13 PM, Cubswin said:

The initiation dues for these clubs range 75K to 90k. Some are higher. Evanston lowered its downstroke during a membership drive two years ago; I think it is back up.

Monthly dues are by and large about the same - $650 to $800 with extra fees for keeping your bag, locker, etc. Add food and drink minimum, it is another $3,000 to &5,000 or so. Some of these clubs really encourage the use of caddies.

People join for a number of reasons - often social. It really helps to know members because you cannot just apply. You will need sponsors and you and your wife will go through a screening process after a waiting period.

Further proving my estimate that there are a lot of people making $1M+ a year out there. 

In search of solid contact...

• 4 months later...
On 9/6/2020 at 9:12 AM, Dashfast said:

Any opinions on Evanston Golf Club VS Skokie CC? Haven't been able to find much info about Skokie CC other than the fact that it seems like the superior course between the two.

Focusing solely on golf, Skokie is a much better golf course.  Not even close.  It has hosted the Western Amateur and other prestigious amateur tournaments.  It is not long enough for pro events anymore although it is steeped in history.  

Skokie is tucked in a residential area in Glencoe, but it really doesn't feel like that.  Evanston, OTOH, is a course where you see 1960/70-style suburban homes pretty much throughout your round.  

Skokie also has higher fees and dues.  

On 9/12/2020 at 10:53 PM, jshel said:

Have you considered Westmoreland? Not far from Evanston GC and the pictures of the work they have done there looks good.

Westmoreland has one of the best-looking club houses anywhere.  Great Gatsby-like.  

The course is immaculate and the fast, sloped greens are there to keep good golfers from going very low.  I enjoy playing there when I do home-and-home with my friends.  That said, it is literally inside a rectangular-shaped suburban lot, and you will see pretty much every hole at any point on the course.  And, you will see suburban homes bordering the club.  I can't imagine playing there all the time.  

The club, socially, is essentially people from a nearby Catholic parish in Wilmette mixed in with other people from Winnetka and Kenilworth.  Friendly, somewhat younger and more social than other North Shore private clubs, etc.  It is a very nice social club with a well-maintained golf course.  

On 10/6/2021 at 8:57 AM, PUTTINGFROMTHEROUGH said:

This is great, I love to see this bumped up as it seems like "the market is moving" with the north shore clubs.  I'd love to know if the "call and ask" works at any of the clubs mentioned.  I'm fortunate enough to play each one mentioned somewhere between occasionally and regularly and I get the distinct feeling that such measures would not be well-received.  There's a story often told at Glen View Club, possibly apocryphal, about someone who built a house next to the course (the big one b/t 12 & 13) and then walked up to the front desk and asked how to join, laughs always follow. 

Golf is booming everywhere and this area is no exception.  One private club mentioned in this thread had a record year in 2020 (yes, 2020 as its members and families all stayed in the area and spent their money at the club) and gave every member a cut of the profit.  And, all of these clubs now have tee times - you can't just show up on weekend mornings and play anymore -- with so many more people playing golf. 

I just can't imagine the privates in the NS will give out information over the phone.  Evanston may be the "easiest" club to get into in the area. But, it still requires a visit with the GM, meeting enough members to get 2 sponsors and 2 endorsers, going through credit and background checks (including your financial disclosures) and the interview with the membership committee where the proposed member and his/her spouse are vetted in person. 

So true about the Glen View Club, one of the venerable old school clubs in the Chicago area.  It did an amazing renovation last two years to get the course ready for the 2021 Western Amateur. Hole 18 was a perfectly fine finishing hole.  With the tee box set way back next to the 17th green, it is a legitimately intimidating finishing hole for competition golf. 

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, zer0 said:

Anyone know what the costs and benefits are to joining the Glen Club?   As a regular member, not a junior.

I don't have any details but I know a guy who is a member there and he's there almost everyday it seems.  From what I gather from him it's pretty much a private club that keeps the public rates high enough to keep them off the course, or at least make it worth the clubs while to have them...

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I did not a start another thread as I have a similar type question...

Anyone familiar with "practical" non-resident options either north or west of the city? Given my growing ties to the area I would seriously consider a low-key, reasonably economically/socially diverse option that is within 30 or so minutes of the O'Hara. I spend most of my time either in the Schaumburg or Aurora suburban areas or in the city at DePaul University. 

Edited by TUGolfer06

Home Courses
- Country Club of Scranton
- Seven Oaks GC at Colgate University

15 hours ago, TUGolfer06 said:

Anyone familiar with "practical" non-resident options either north or west of the city? Given my growing ties to the area I would seriously consider a low-key, reasonably economically/socially diverse option that is within 30 or so minutes of the O'Hara. I spend most of my time either in the Schaumburg or Aurora suburban areas or in the city at DePaul University. 

There are a bunch of permanent tee times that are social and allow you to at least play once a week (usually Saturday’s or Sundays) in the north burbs. Glencoe Golf Club and Sunset Valley are two that offer such an option and are within 30 minutes of Lincoln Park especially if you get out early. Definitely not a private golf club but might be of interest given those are courses are pretty decent. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2022 at 4:52 PM, Scotty R said:

Hearing some insane numbers at Northmoor: $125k to get in right now and over $2k a month in dues. Kind of ridiculous but goes to show some of the discretionary income around there. 

Anyone else exploring deals these days? 

There's probably minimal to no deals.   Most clubs right now are maxed out with waiting lists so no real incentive on their side to have to get members. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, Scotty R said:

Would anyone on this thread near Highland Park be interested in a year-round membership to an indoor golf simulator club with unlimited access to simulators, open 24/7? Pricing range b/w $150-$250 per month with 6-12 month commitment. 

Trying to do some research on demand potential. Thanks for any responses. 

12 month commitment, I wouldn't pay more than $100 a month.   For most, you'd get 6 months of money with little to no usage.  When it gets into the thousands for something I don't use for half the year,  I start thinking about that being money to put towards memberships to private or semi private places. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 hours ago, MountainKing said:

12 month commitment, I wouldn't pay more than $100 a month.   For most, you'd get 6 months of money with little to no usage.  When it gets into the thousands for something I don't use for half the year,  I start thinking about that being money to put towards memberships to private or semi private places. 

Agree with this. I joined a place in Northbrook last winter that had tiered pricing based on how many months I committed to. Could do anywhere from 1 month to the full year. But realistically I would never use it after April. 

Also depends on how you market it - the place previously mentioned was definitely more of a “game improvement” focus. I joined there to work on improving not to play a bunch of simulator rounds. But on the flip side, there are also a lot of places like X-Golf popping up in the area which is more simulator golf with food & drinks. There’s certainly a market for it - but they’re popping up like crazy right now. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/24/2022 at 8:58 PM, TUGolfer06 said:

Not sure what "reasonably economically" means here, but Riverside CC (just south of Oak Park) is a decent track with fees that are lower than many privates in the area. Rolling Greens in Arlington Heights and Itasca CC may fit the bill.  

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, gvibes said:

Might as well ask - anyone have views on Sunset Ridge?  Course, club, membership, anything.  A couple younger friends have joined recently.  It has the important benefit of being close to my house.

Why not ask your friends? Seems like they would be the quickest and most reliable resource.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 9:14 AM, zer0 said:

Thanks!  Do you know what they have to pay per round?

Also do they get preferred tee times?

From what I understand, you get to book tee times earlier than the general public and don't have to pay greens fees at all. However, guessing you still have to pay a cart fee if you don't walk.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bexk said:

From what I understand, you get to book tee times earlier than the general public and don't have to pay greens fees at all. However, guessing you still have to pay a cart fee if you don't walk.

looking at the numbers that seems really expensive.    You'd have to get in 70+ rounds just to make it cost $150 per round (without a cart).  And that's not even factoring in the initiation fee.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zer0 said:

looking at the numbers that seems really expensive.    You'd have to get in 70+ rounds just to make it cost $150 per round (without a cart).  And that's not even factoring in the initiation fee.

Totally, but a private (or semi-private) club is never going to be cheaper than playing regular public golf. However, obviously a lot of other reasons to join somewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2023 at 10:54 AM, gvibes said:

Might as well ask - anyone have views on Sunset Ridge?  Course, club, membership, anything.  A couple younger friends have joined recently.  It has the important benefit of being close to my house.

A very nice club.  Of all of the North Shore clubs, it might have the youngest and friendliest membership (by the North Shore private club standards).  The course is in immaculate shape as you would expect at this level.  It is a fun track that most would like playing every week with buddies, but isn't a championship level track like Skokie, North Shore or Glen View.  Nothing wrong with that IMO.

It has nice facilities.  Its "Red Room" is pretty chill and dangerous as I could see myself spending way too much time there if I were a member. 

On 2/17/2023 at 9:33 PM, psygolf said:

Ravinia Green is just about the only private that I’ve heard having a membership drive that’s offering a deal right now

I checked it out last summer.    Dirt cheap, but you get what you pay for.     For one, the course while in nice shape could use about a 5,000 tree removal project.   Having to thread the needle that much wasn't appealing to me as a place I would be playing all the time.

And it sounds like they are selling so many cheap memberships that it's tough to get a tee time on weekends.     Don't see the point in joining a club where it's tough to get a tee time.