Club membership costs in northern suburbs of Chicago

zer0

Was wondering if anyone knew how much it cost to join a club like Evanston Golf Club or Northshore Country Club?

The websites don't give out that info. I was thinking of a looking into it to see if it was worth the money. I got in about 70-80 rounds of golf this season at public courses so I think I play enough to make it worthwhile. But, not sure if I want to limit myself to one course day in day out.

My wife plays as well, but not nearly as much. Don't have kids, but would probably be looking at some sort of dual membership for me and my wife.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1384276042' post='8137494']
Wild guess...$50k initiation.
[/quote]

Nope, more. You aren't getting into NSCC without an invite. Evanston may be doable. Also, you can never play enough golf at one of those places to make it worth it. You pay for golf every single time you play, unless you play after 5pm and carry your own bag.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The initiation dues for these clubs range 75K to 90k. Some are higher. Evanston lowered its downstroke during a membership drive two years ago; I think it is back up.

Monthly dues are by and large about the same - $650 to $800 with extra fees for keeping your bag, locker, etc. Add food and drink minimum, it is another $3,000 to &5,000 or so. Some of these clubs really encourage the use of caddies.

People join for a number of reasons - often social. It really helps to know members because you cannot just apply. You will need sponsors and you and your wife will go through a screening process after a waiting period.

Having caddied at a number of north shore country clubs during my high school and college years, I can concur with just about everything that has been said in this thread. A lot of times you are looking at $60k+ for initiation, plus $1,000 or more in monthly dues/food allowance. On top of that, if you want to play before a certain time (usually 3 o'clock) a lot of clubs require a caddie. A day at my home course with three friends/business associates would run you over $1k after guest fees, caddie fees, and food/dinning expenses. Also, some have restrictions on when women can play. Further, if you are looking to join one of the more exclusive clubs, it will be a lengthy interview process with social outings a number of brunches/dinners with the club/membership committees.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

• 1 month later...

Depending on where you live, check out Olympia Fields. A lot of us in the city have joined and it is a great facility and very reasonable. If it were located on the North Shore it would easily be $100K+ to join, but it is much less since it is south of city. Little traffice getting there from down town and you can take the train!

[quote name='urjc22' timestamp='1392754083' post='8695737']
Depending on where you live, check out Olympia Fields. A lot of us in the city have joined and it is a great facility and very reasonable. If it were located on the North Shore it would easily be $100K+ to join, but it is much less since it is south of city. Little traffice getting there from down town and you can take the train!
[/quote]

And there are a lot of clubs in that area so they have to be competitive, and you have some other options to check out as well.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1392909217' post='8708501']
[quote name='urjc22' timestamp='1392754083' post='8695737']
[/quote]

And there are a lot of clubs in that area so they have to be competitive, and you have some other options to check out as well.
[/quote]

If I lived south I would love to join one of the clubs down there. The terrain is much better for golf and the courses are more interesting because of it. Olympia is awesome. Another great track that is somewhat of a hidden gem is Edgewood valley. Awesome course with even better greens

Threads like this make me happy I live an hour outside of the city! My club is $500 a year and we're hosting the IL amateur pub links qualifier and a big pro am this year. You guys can keep the high dollar stuff!

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

Evanston had a membership drive a couple of years ago - my recollection was no or very low downstroke but regular monthly dues. I think it is now over. Monthly golf dues at most clubs in North Shore average about $700 to $1000 a month but, once caddy fees, locker, storage, etc. are added, you will pay about $12,000 to $15,000 a year before any food and drink minimum. That will add another $5,000 give or take a couple grand.

One thing about Evanston. It is a fabulous club with a long history. I don't doubt it will be around for many years to come. But, one thing you should know is that it has taken on a ton of debts over the past 10 years. It needs to refinance them badly. Not sure how it happened, but an internal PowePoint presentation to the membership is available online if you were to Google the right words. Something to think about.

NS CC is slightly more "prestigious" if that matters. It is a much more challenging and championship caliber course than Evanston. Expect to pay the full downstroke there and slightly higher monthly dues than Evanston if you get in after a long (used to be at least) waiting list.

Goid luck.

• 6 years later...

Bringing this back. Nowadays, Evanston is 40k initiation + roughly 10-12k annually. If you're under 40, you can pay the 40k spread out over multiple years. If you golf before 3:30p in season, you can take a cart for a $34 or use a caddy (no idea what this costs). If you golf after 3p, you can walk and there's no cost.

Any opinions on Evanston Golf Club VS Skokie CC? Haven't been able to find much info about Skokie CC other than the fact that it seems like the superior course between the two.

Skokie is definitely a couple of notches above Evanston.

Evanston is, my no means, bad, but Skokie might be a top 5-10 course in Chicagoland.

Have you considered Westmoreland? Not far from Evanston GC and the pictures of the work they have done there looks good.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

• 3 weeks later...

@Scotty RThe Glen Club is pretty sweet if you're under 36. 4k initiation, then about $600 a month for unlimited golf, great facilities, etc. They also have reciprocity with Royal Melbourne and Hawthorn Woods and other Kemper Sports properties like Sand Valley + Bandon, etc. Family plays pretty much for free with you, preferred tee times, etc. And it's never crowded, pace of play is always excellent.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, Scotty R said:

Hey,

Anybody aware of reasonable junior memberships (I'm in my early 30's) with zero to low initiation on the north shore? I know most clubs are high end up, but we moved recently and was hoping there are some hidden gem opportunities.  Thanks much. 

I have been looking around for a junior and the lowest I found was 4 and this was no where near the north shore. Even the lower end clubs around the city in general are 5-10 to start. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On 4/10/2021 at 10:22 PM, D Hacker said:

Does anyone know what the initiation and monthly dues are for the North Barrington clubs? Wynstone and Biltmore CCs by chance? 

I inquired with Wynstone in 2019 and it was shockingly easy. The woman I spoke with said point blank that, If I applied on Monday, I would become a member by Tuesday. It's almost a disservice to the club because the impression that I got was that they are so desperate for members that they would take anyone or they are in bad financial straights (no evidence, just my impression)

On 4/10/2021 at 10:22 PM, D Hacker said:

Does anyone know what the initiation and monthly dues are for the North Barrington clubs? Wynstone and Biltmore CCs by chance? 

bump. I moved to barrington in the last year and would love to know this as well. id throw barrington hills in as well (yes i know i could call and ask but if someone knows the ballpark and/or any other info itd be useful before i begin the process)

• 4 months later...

Would love to know if there are any numbers for the Glen View Club (not to be confused with The Glen Club). Preferably for younger age cohorts in their 30’s. For what it’s worth I’ve inquired about Exmoor in the north shore and you’re looking at $25K to get in and about $800 a month after everything for those below 40. Probably need to know one or two people as well. 

On 10/10/2020 at 1:04 PM, Dashfast said:

@Scotty RThe Glen Club is pretty sweet if you're under 36. 4k initiation, then about $600 a month for unlimited golf, great facilities, etc. They also have reciprocity with Royal Melbourne and Hawthorn Woods and other Kemper Sports properties like Sand Valley + Bandon, etc. Family plays pretty much for free with you, preferred tee times, etc. And it's never crowded, pace of play is always excellent.

Thanks for the response ! 

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this for any additional information some may have on Glen View Club, Exmoor, Skokie, North Shore, Westmoreland, or anything comparable. Late 20's and looking to escape public golf. Will live downtown for another 5-7 years, but figure it might make more sense to join a course now, as I'll likely find myself in the northern suburbs at some point.  

Ping G430 LST w/ Ping Tour Black 2.0 75x
Titleist TS3 3 Wood w/ MCA Diamana D+ Limited 80TX

Titleist U-500 3 Iron w/ MCA Tensei CK Pro White 100X
Titleist 2023 T150 4-GW w/ Project X 6.5
Vokey SM9 54/60 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Onyx Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Champion's Choice Newport 2

21 hours ago, Bexk said:

Bumping this for any additional information some may have on Glen View Club, Exmoor, Skokie, North Shore, Westmoreland, or anything comparable. Late 20's and looking to escape public golf. Will live downtown for another 5-7 years, but figure it might make more sense to join a course now, as I'll likely find myself in the northern suburbs at some point.  

Just send them an email or fill out the online form - it's not hard to get the most recent numbers.  Most of these clubs have upped their prices this year with memberships increasing. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

51 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Just send them an email or fill out the online form - it's not hard to get the most recent numbers.  Most of these clubs have upped their prices this year with memberships increasing. 

Thanks and will do. Wasn't sure if clubs were receptive to that. Definitely seems like most places have been increasing in price given what COVID has done to golf. Good for golf, tough for golfers! 

18 minutes ago, Bexk said:

Thanks and will do. Wasn't sure if clubs were receptive to that. Definitely seems like most places have been increasing in price given what COVID has done to golf. Good for golf, tough for golfers! 

I've never had an issue getting info - even if they don't have an memberships available, they'll want to get you on the waitlist to keep the numbers up if a spot opens.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

This is great, I love to see this bumped up as it seems like "the market is moving" with the north shore clubs.  I'd love to know if the "call and ask" works at any of the clubs mentioned.  I'm fortunate enough to play each one mentioned somewhere between occasionally and regularly and I get the distinct feeling that such measures would not be well-received.  There's a story often told at Glen View Club, possibly apocryphal, about someone who built a house next to the course (the big one b/t 12 & 13) and then walked up to the front desk and asked how to join, laughs always follow. 

I don't know about younger member prices but from what I can tell the downstroke seems to be $50-100K (and more to high end than low end of that range) at these clubs for regular membershhips, so some of the quotes for ~$40K for junior makes sense to me.  I'm certainly not the end-all opinion on this, just adding a different perspective.  I look forward to seeing what you find out.

4 hours ago, PUTTINGFROMTHEROUGH said:

This is great, I love to see this bumped up as it seems like "the market is moving" with the north shore clubs.  I'd love to know if the "call and ask" works at any of the clubs mentioned.  I'm fortunate enough to play each one mentioned somewhere between occasionally and regularly and I get the distinct feeling that such measures would not be well-received.  There's a story often told at Glen View Club, possibly apocryphal, about someone who built a house next to the course (the big one b/t 12 & 13) and then walked up to the front desk and asked how to join, laughs always follow. 

I don't know about younger member prices but from what I can tell the downstroke seems to be $50-100K (and more to high end than low end of that range) at these clubs for regular memberships, so some of the quotes for ~$40K for junior makes sense to me.  I'm certainly not the end-all opinion on this, just adding a different perspective.  I look forward to seeing what you find out.

Happy to PM to give some updates on feedback I've gotten as I've started to reach out. Some places are certainly more receptive than others, but think its fair to say they generally have a little more patience for people seeking junior memberships as well.   

Edited by Bexk