Callaway 2014 Apex Pro Irons: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

[quote name='DRRicks' timestamp='1389550245' post='8447049']
Is Callaway offering the "Between" flexes for the KBS line...ie: R+/S+?
[/quote]

nope.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up my new apex pro irons and Mack Daddy 2 wedges last week. Apex pro's are soooo sweet and soft off the face. I have replaced my old titliest dci 990 irons. They have the KBS Tour v shafts (stock shaft) and the wedges have the dynamic gold shafts (standard). They are 1 full club longer than my titliest irons and I know this probably comes down to the stronger angles in the new irons. However I just had my first round of 69 yesterday and hit 11 greens and 3 fringes. Was super pumped with this and the apex pros feel like the have the most supple sweet spot when the ball comes off the face. Well done Callaway!

Welcome to the forum and that's a great first score with your new irons, enjoy them.

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='GIR Issues' timestamp='1389772484' post='8464027']
Picked up my new apex pro irons and Mack Daddy 2 wedges last week. Apex pro's are soooo sweet and soft off the face. I have replaced my old titliest dci 990 irons. They have the KBS Tour v shafts (stock shaft) and the wedges have the dynamic gold shafts (standard). They are 1 full club longer than my titliest irons and I know this probably comes down to the stronger angles in the new irons. However I just had my first round of 69 yesterday and hit 11 greens and 3 fringes. Was super pumped with this and the apex pros feel like the have the most supple sweet spot when the ball comes off the face. Well done Callaway!
[/quote]

Welcome to the site and congrats on your new irons. Keep us posted after the honeymoon period is over.

I hit these today in a modified fitting session. The stock v shaft is pretty stout and it shocked me at how well it stood up against my ss and swing tempo. OI normally swing the 6 iron around the 92-96mph range and currently play the 2013 x forged with the PXI 6.5 shafts. The stock KBS V shaft in S flex gave me little baby soft draws and controlled the flight well. I just thought that the lighter shaft being 110 was not quite heavy enough for me. I tried the c -taper in s flex and it was just a horrible shaft for me which is strange because I have a fast tempo and a real strong aggressive move on the ball. So the c-taper shaft is off the list. There wasn't a v shaft to test in the x flex. I tried a couple of other shafts and stock KBS v shaft is a cracker, I think though I will go the x flex for that little bit of weight and have them soft stepped. It should be just about the right mix and weight and flex for me. I have no trouble loading the pxi 6.5 shafts in my x forged and they are 117 grams, so the 120 V shaft soft stepped should hit the sweet spot. Overall these clubs are fantastic and I think they are one of he better clubs Callaway has come out with in a long time.

[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1389853596' post='8469845']
I hit these today in a modified fitting session. The stock v shaft is pretty stout and it shocked me at how well it stood up against my ss and swing tempo. OI normally swing the 6 iron around the 92-96mph range and currently play the 2013 x forged with the PXI 6.5 shafts. The stock KBS V shaft in S flex gave me little baby soft draws and controlled the flight well. I just thought that the lighter shaft being 110 was not quite heavy enough for me. I tried the c -taper in s flex and it was just a horrible shaft for me which is strange because I have a fast tempo and a real strong aggressive move on the ball. So the c-taper shaft is off the list. There wasn't a v shaft to test in the x flex. I tried a couple of other shafts and stock KBS v shaft is a cracker, I think though I will go the x flex for that little bit of weight and have them soft stepped. It should be just about the right mix and weight and flex for me. I have no trouble loading the pxi 6.5 shafts in my x forged and they are 117 grams, so the 120 V shaft soft stepped should hit the sweet spot. Overall these clubs are fantastic and I think they are one of he better clubs Callaway has come out with in a long time.
[/quote]

I'm surprised you felt a difference between the tour v and pxi 6.5 as far as weight. I couldn't tell a difference, but nor was I trying to. I think my head was wrapped more around how the shaft would feel (smooth or flagpole harsh) that weight wasn't a factor. I believe Callaway may put a tip weight in as well to get the swig weight up to what stock is (d2?).

Pretty cool you got to hit the Alpha and Apex Pros already. Did you feel as if the driver was lighter since they're using a 65 gram shaft instead of a 70 version? Thanks for your feedback!

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
Odyssey   Jailbird Cruiser modified to regular. 34.6" w/ SuperStroke 3.0 17"/ 5g weights

[quote name='UnderPar18' timestamp='1389875382' post='8470329']
[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1389853596' post='8469845']
[/quote]

I'm surprised you felt a difference between the tour v and pxi 6.5 as far as weight. I couldn't tell a difference, but nor was I trying to. I think my head was wrapped more around how the shaft would feel (smooth or flagpole harsh) that weight wasn't a factor. I believe Callaway may put a tip weight in as well to get the swig weight up to what stock is (d2?).

Pretty cool you got to hit the Alpha and Apex Pros already. Did you feel as if the driver was lighter since they're using a 65 gram shaft instead of a 70 version? Thanks for your feedback!
[/quote]

I was a little spooked that the 7 gram weight difference was noticeable. It wasn't huge but just enough to say hey a little more weight would be nice. I think its my temp that dictates the little extra weight needed. The stock shaft is great and going up a flex and having it soft stepped will be just the balance I think. The other option is to put some px flighted in 6.0 and give that a try.

The 5 grams in the driver shaft wasn't really pickable or could I feel it. The longer shaft compared to the irons may be contributing there. To be honest when I was testing the drivers I was going full tilt as I wanted to be sure the shaft could handle it when I really go after one.

These are absolutely gorgeous irons! Definitely going to demo these as soon as I get the chance. I hit the X Hot Pros and liked them even being a cast iron. Wondering how these are as well as the new X2H pros. Wondering if they will pull my Titleist 710 CB's out of my hands.

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

[quote name='etotheo' timestamp='1390488082' post='8515935']
I'm a homer for Ping but these are some very nice looking sticks!!!
[/quote]

Well IMO the S55's are a very nice looking club as well. I've got the eye for a thin top line and not too much offset myself. Just too much new stuff screaming to pull money out of my bank account!

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

Has anyone seen bounce numbers on the Apex Pros?

Callaway GBB EPIC Sub Zero, HZRDUS Yellow 65g
Callaway XR Pro 20° hybrid, Tour AD DI
Callaway X2Hot Pro 23° hybrid, Aldila Tour Green
Callaway Apex Pro 7-PW / Apex 5&6, KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Mack Daddy 2 50°, 54°, PM Grind 58°
Callaway Chrome Soft

Nope, I don't think that the bounce info is out but who knows I probably missed it!

I did notice that the finish is starting to wear quite easily on these.. Kind of a bummer since the MD 2 wedges look like they have similar finish and I've been using them for months and the finish looks better.

[size=3][font=georgia,serif][b]Nike [/b]Vapor TW - BB73s
[b]Titleist [/b]915F 15* - D+ 80s
[b]Titleist [/b]913F 19* - D+ 82s
[b]Titleist [/b]913H 21* - Phenom 80s
[b]Mizuno [/b]MP 64 - 4-PW S300
[b]Titleist Vokey [/b]SM5- 54/08M, 60/04L
[b]Scotty Cameron [/b]Select Newport[/font][/size]
[url="https://flic.kr/p/E5WxHK"][img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1616/24997465921_7a3f574e63.jpg[/img][/url]

[quote name='jdub_ut' timestamp='1390523562' post='8519809']
[/quote]

very similar to X Forged I think..so starting around 3* in 3 iron and one degree more per iron up tp 9* in the 9 and pw.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='TheMerryTex' timestamp='1390531478' post='8520667']
Nope, I don't think that the bounce info is out but who knows I probably missed it!

I did notice that the finish is starting to wear quite easily on these.. Kind of a bummer since the MD 2 wedges look like they have similar finish and I've been using them for months and the finish looks better.
[/quote]

Can you post pics of what the finish is doing on your new irons?

[/quote]

[/quote]
[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1390532628' post='8520873']
[/quote]

very similar to X Forged I think..so starting around 3* in 3 iron and one degree more per iron up tp 9* in the 9 and pw.
[/quote]

Direct from Callway via email:
2IR - 3°
3IR - 3°
4IR - 4°
5IR - 5°
6IR - 6°
7IR - 7°
8IR - 8°
9IR - 9°
PW - 10°
AW - 11°

[quote name='marlowe70' timestamp='1390590266' post='8524663']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

2IR - 3°
3IR - 3°
4IR - 4°
5IR - 5°
6IR - 6°
7IR - 7°
8IR - 8°
9IR - 9°
PW - 10°
AW - 11°
[/quote]

Thank you! These are the same bounce numbers as the X-Forged. Interesting that the Apex Pros have 1* more bounce per club than the regular Apex.

Callaway GBB EPIC Sub Zero, HZRDUS Yellow 65g
Callaway XR Pro 20° hybrid, Tour AD DI
Callaway X2Hot Pro 23° hybrid, Aldila Tour Green
Callaway Apex Pro 7-PW / Apex 5&6, KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Mack Daddy 2 50°, 54°, PM Grind 58°
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='jdub_ut' timestamp='1390597551' post='8525335']
[quote name='marlowe70' timestamp='1390590266' post='8524663']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

2IR - 3°
3IR - 3°
4IR - 4°
5IR - 5°
6IR - 6°
7IR - 7°
8IR - 8°
9IR - 9°
PW - 10°
AW - 11°
[/quote]

Thank you! These are the same bounce numbers as the X-Forged. Interesting that the Apex Pros have 1* more bounce per club than the regular Apex.
[/quote]

You`re welcome. I was just curious and thankfully Callway answered my email.

I was hoping that the Apex Pros have the same bounce figures as the X-Forged (2009 in my case) because I like the turf interaction. Pros look promising.

I just ordered the Apex Pros with the Recoil 110 F4 (stiff flex) shafts (4i-AW, D0 swing weight). I demoed them with the Recoil 680 F4 shafts (no 110's are available on the fitting cart) but apparently those won't fit on the Apex Pro because it's a parallel tip shaft and the Apex Pro is designed for taper tips. Anyway, I loved them with the Recoil 680's. Hopefully the 110's, which are 28 grams heavier, still work for me. I'll report back next week after I receive them.

[quote name='zerofade' timestamp='1390611249' post='8526657']
Can anyone speak to turf interaction?
[/quote]

Check out my thread, posted a review. The turf interaction is fantastic.

[size=3][font=georgia,serif][b]Nike [/b]Vapor TW - BB73s
[b]Titleist [/b]915F 15* - D+ 80s
[b]Titleist [/b]913F 19* - D+ 82s
[b]Titleist [/b]913H 21* - Phenom 80s
[b]Mizuno [/b]MP 64 - 4-PW S300
[b]Titleist Vokey [/b]SM5- 54/08M, 60/04L
[b]Scotty Cameron [/b]Select Newport[/font][/size]
[url="https://flic.kr/p/E5WxHK"][img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1616/24997465921_7a3f574e63.jpg[/img][/url]

MARLOWE.. thanks for the bounce numbers appreciate it...

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

The turf interaction was great. Better than any other club I've tried. The Recoil 680's felt solid. Totally different from the C-Tapers but different doesn't mean bad. High launching but penetrating ball flight. No ballooning at all. I was hitting them a club longer than my VRS Forged w/ PXi 6.0. The graphite shafts made the club a lot more forgiving as well. Felt like I couldn't miss with them. Not so much with any of the steel shaft options. I'm hoping the Recoil 110's work out as well as the 680's.

[quote name='taco_truck' timestamp='1390600688' post='8525665']
I just ordered the Apex Pros with the Recoil 110 F4 (stiff flex) shafts (4i-AW, D0 swing weight). I demoed them with the Recoil 680 F4 shafts (no 110's are available on the fitting cart) but apparently those won't fit on the Apex Pro because it's a parallel tip shaft and the Apex Pro is designed for taper tips. Anyway, I loved them with the Recoil 680's. Hopefully the 110's, which are 28 grams heavier, still work for me. I'll report back next week after I receive them.
[/quote]

I take it you demoed the apex and not the pro with the 680s?

I read from another member that callaway can do the recoil 95s in a the Apex as he wanted a combo set. Surely they can do the 680s in the Pros?

I demoed the 680's in the Apex [u]Pro[/u] head. The fitting cart heads let you use any shaft regardless of whether it is parallel tip or taper tip. The 680's are a parallel tip, the 95's and 110's are taper tip. The regular Apex takes parallel tip. The Apex Pro takes taper tip. The fitting cart at my local course did not have the 95 or 110 shafts available for demo.

I called the Callaway customs department and asked whether they could put a Recoil 680 in the Apex Pro and they said they couldn't despite the fact that you can configure it that way on the Callaway website. I also asked if the 95 was available in F4 (stiff) but they said they can only do the 95 in F3 (regular) and the 110 was the only option if you wanted a stiff flex shaft. I then asked if I could pay extra for the Recoil 95 F4 since UST does make it and they again told me no. Out of options, I settled with the Apex Pro with the Recoil 110 F4 and had them swing weight it to D0.