2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

miura questions

isaacbm

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again.

In fact, I just bought a set of above Miura blades without knowing they have non-conforming grooves. I am going to keep my MP37 and Ping i20 until I get a chance to try them, then decide if I will keep them or not.

Ping G425 10.5 / Ping G410
Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping i200 6-UW / i500 5-PW Power Spec / i210 5-PW
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5 

• 3 weeks later...

6 iron y grind 1007 DG XP X100

Initial thoughts.

Beautiful to look at. Beveled leading edge is functional. I haven't taken one divot off the mat!

Came In feeling light but only cause my mp64 have 10 inches of lead tape on each iron.

Immediately put tons of lead on it and now it's great. Sacrilege I know but I'm a weirdo...

Good feel but only felt real solid after adding weight.

Don't think it's as solid on pure strikes as tourney blade. Don't know about mishits as I don't mishit shots...

I tried to intentionally mishit a few for a review but I'm just too pure.

Think I'd like it more with a different shaft. Not better then my mizuno and I already own those. Don't think ill putt up the extra $1000 to get the other 6 irons.

I've owned 4 sets if miuras and I think the sole grind in these is a winner. Just hard to commit the dough when I have 17 sets if irons already...

Since I'm playing the TB....love your review.

Speak to us about offset...

What shaft did you go with? This thread has been going for years and I don't have the strength to re-read and see what you ordered.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1392080133' post='8640477']

What shaft did you go with? This thread has been going for years and I don't have the strength to re-read and see what you ordered.
[/quote]look at the beginning of my last post... 8-)

Same offset as mp 64

More then tourney blade

I think blades feel a littler denser if that makes sense.

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1392080632' post='8640539']

Same offset as mp 64

More then tourney blade

[/quote]

Sorry. Sometimes I miss things when imreadingreallyfast.

More dense? Ok. They're probably using some super secret samurai sword steel.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1392122721' post='8643031']

Same offset as mp 64

More then tourney blade

[/quote]

[/quote]im saying the cb feel a touch more hollow then the mb on centre hits. If a person wants the true miura feel, it really comes in the muscle back

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1392140814' post='8644793']
[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1392122721' post='8643031']

Same offset as mp 64

More then tourney blade

[/quote]

[/quote]im saying the cb feel a touch more hollow then the mb on centre hits. If a person wants the true miura feel, it really comes in the muscle back
[/quote]

I demo'd the 501s prior to settling on the TB. I worked a 6 iron in both for a few weeks. I didn't like it. Not so much a feel issue as much as I couldn't get to go in direction I wanted.....

Do you have any comment on the Miura claim that [i]something[/i] in the design of this club give it a more upright appearance thus giving you a better view of the ball???

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

I think all of the Y-grind designs have the "appearance" of more upright, although whether they are is a different matter. I've now hit both the MB1001 and the Japanese CB1007, which is also Y-grind, and I'm sticking with my first reaction that they feel thinner or sharper. The leading edge relief compensates for this somewhat, but I think in general, the Y-grind design is sharper edged, more scalpel like, and favors harder type ground. I like that for the 49-wedge that I use bent to 47 for approach shots and for chipping off of thin lies. But still prefer the 301's as CB's and the TB with slightly thicker muscle for 8 and 9-iron.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

I've been playing the 51Y for the last year or so and it does have a different look compared to my 52K. I don't know about more upright but agree that it's good on tight lies.

My 57C is good on tight lies too.....better than the 56K.

Those Ks are all good out of deep rough and fluffy sand.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

Agree totally with that. The 57-C is the best all around wedge I've ever used, bar none. It's turned bunkers into places I look forward to hitting from...

Have been really having fun with the 64-K I picked up recently, too -- especially out of greenside rough situations.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1392143118' post='8645091']
Agree totally with that. The 57-C is the best all around wedge I've ever used, bar none. It's turned bunkers into places I look forward to hitting from...

Have been really having fun with the 64-K I picked up recently, too -- especially out of greenside rough situations.
[/quote]

Part of me wants that 64K just so the rest of my Ks can have company....but I rarely hit my 60 and I just can't envision me being any better with a 64.....Maybe I'll catch a bargain someday and grab one at a week moment.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1392142364' post='8644991']
I think all of the Y-grind designs have the "appearance" of more upright, although whether they are is a different matter. I've now hit both the MB1001 and the Japanese CB1007, which is also Y-grind, and I'm sticking with my first reaction that they feel thinner or sharper. The leading edge relief compensates for this somewhat, but I think in general, the Y-grind design is sharper edged, more scalpel like, and favors harder type ground. I like that for the 49-wedge that I use bent to 47 for approach shots and for chipping off of thin lies. But still prefer the 301's as CB's and the TB with slightly thicker muscle for 8 and 9-iron.
[/quote]

I think this "more upright" thing has to do with the "tallness" of the club. If you go to the MiuraGiken website, Miura's JDM site, they show the difference in the Y-grind cb-1007 and the regular one. One difference is the leading edge relief, which is better for softer, US courses, to prevent digging up trenches. Another difference is the height of the face near the hosel. The Y-grind is a little taller here. I think this Y-grind and taller face is the direction Miura is going based on the Y-grind intro and the new MB001. Both these models have these features. Maybe Yoshitaka-san will have more influence on the shape/grind of the irons going forward, this sole grind is way better than the TB, 501 and regular 1007.

I don't see anything whatsoever that makes me think "upright". No idea at all what they're talking about on the website.

Upright or flat to me has everything to do with seeing space between the toe and the ground. If the leading edge sits flat to the ground then how can they claim anything else "looks" upright.

Marketing angle 100%.

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1392210841' post='8650953']
I just checked the site and it doesn't say that for the Y Grind. The Japanese says that the heel is a little taller than most designs. You can notice the heel a little taller from address.

There is nothing about the club looking more upright.
[/quote]

When these irons were first released there was a promotional video with Yoshitaka (spelling?) in which he talked about the club appearing more upright thus giving the player a better view of the ball.....I'm not sure if that video is still up or where you can find it but it was interesting.

Considering so many people were saying [i]WTH?? [/i]Miura may have taken it down.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

There may have been another problem. I went to check a few videos on YouTube with Yoshitaka Miura talking about grinding, etc. The English subtitles didn't match exactly what he was saying throughout the video. The English had a general idea, but was truncated and simplified.

I don't know the video you're talking about, but you can't always trust Japanese <-> English translations. It's really hard to do well. I'm not a translator, but I've lived in Japan for 20 years and the translation I saw didn't have the nuance and full content of what he was saying.

I don't know if that's the case with the video you're referring to though. It's just a theory since there is nothing on the site saying the club will look more upright. It just talks about feeling people could have looking at the higher heel and the overall flow of the design from toe to heel to hosel.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

The video did have subtitles so I was talking about what was shown in English at the bottom of the screen. There was another thread on here where people were talking about it being a little odd.....I'll buy that something was missed in translation.

The video was only about a minute or so long.

Either way....they're awfully pretty clubs. I'm sticking with my black TBs.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1392212596' post='8651095']
[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1392210841' post='8650953']
I just checked the site and it doesn't say that for the Y Grind. The Japanese says that the heel is a little taller than most designs. You can notice the heel a little taller from address.

There is nothing about the club looking more upright.
[/quote]

When these irons were first released there was a promotional video with Yoshitaka (spelling?) in which he talked about the club appearing more upright thus giving the player a better view of the ball.....I'm not sure if that video is still up or where you can find it but it was interesting.

Considering so many people were saying [i]WTH?? [/i]Miura may have taken it down.
[/quote]
http://youtu.be/U--91PvMcT0

@therealping