2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

banished from driving range

idrive400yards

Let me ask you something...

If you were on that tee box 400 yards or less away and you got beaned in the head from a guy flexing his muscles impressing the NC Nascar good ol boys ( I can say that since I live in NC ) on the driving range, would you be pissed? What if it hit you in the eye and you lost vison? Would you sue? I've seen it happen. Or lets say it one hops into your nuts or cracks a rib? You'd take action right?!?

Well, the OWNERS of the range/course do not want to see that happen to an innocent golfer out for a nice round only to be SUED in court for lack of action against you and then lose everything. Think about it.

that's part of the problem..a lot of people have not been hit by a golf ball...I have a scar on my elbow for one i got whiles playing golf..from no where...I have seen a guys skull cracked with a golf ball...it's no joke..

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were on that tee box 400 yards or less away and you got beaned in the head from a guy flexing his muscles impressing the NC Nascar good ol boys ( I can say that since I live in NC ) on the driving range, would you be pissed? What if it hit you in the eye and you lost vison? Would you sue? I've seen it happen. Or lets say it one hops into your nuts or cracks a rib? You'd take action right?!?

Well, the OWNERS of the range/course do not want to see that happen to an innocent golfer out for a nice round only to be SUED in court for lack of action against you and then lose everything. Think about it.

that's part of the problem..a lot of people have not been hit by a golf ball...I have a scar on my elbow for one i got whiles playing golf..from no where...I have seen a guys skull cracked with a golf ball...it's no joke..

Exactly. I have a friend that was hit in the face from close to 200 yards away. It hit him in the eye as he turned to move after someone yelled FORE a split second before it hit him. It cracked bones in his face and his lost the eye and of course his vison. BUT, he was lucky. If he hadn't turned when he did, it could have hit him in the temple and killed him. Believe it or not, he didn't sue the idiot that hit the ball from 2 fairways over even though there was about 10 witnesses.

I have been hit in the chest from 150 and it knocked my butt to the ground and bruised me so bad I could barely breathe for a week.

So that leads me to believe that if you can hit it 400 yards at that ball speed, you can seriously hurt or kill someone.

If you were on that tee box 400 yards or less away and you got beaned in the head from a guy flexing his muscles impressing the NC Nascar good ol boys ( I can say that since I live in NC :rolleyes: ) on the driving range, would you be pissed? What if it hit you in the eye and you lost vison? Would you sue? I've seen it happen. Or lets say it one hops into your nuts or cracks a rib? You'd take action right?!?

Let me ask you something.... did you read this thread at all?

He said he waited for everyone to clear out before hitting. It's kinda hard to hit someone when they aren't there.

My guess is that one single person complained and thus got 400 yards kicked out. That's the way things are now, companies don't want to fool with the vocal loud mouths , even if they are the minority.

If you were on that tee box 400 yards or less away and you got beaned in the head from a guy flexing his muscles impressing the NC Nascar good ol boys ( I can say that since I live in NC :rolleyes: ) on the driving range, would you be pissed? What if it hit you in the eye and you lost vison? Would you sue? I've seen it happen. Or lets say it one hops into your nuts or cracks a rib? You'd take action right?!?

Let me ask you something.... did you read this thread at all?

He said he waited for everyone to clear out before hitting. It's kinda hard to hit someone when they aren't there.

My guess is that one single person complained and thus got 400 yards kicked out. That's the way things are now, companies don't want to fool with the vocal loud mouths , even if they are the minority.

Yeah, I read it. I also read the part where "A few got away from him". All it takes is one person to get hurt by those, and it's his butt and the range owners as well.

I agree with you. I hate it when rules change because only a minority complain about things, an example being the fallout result of Janet Jackson and the Super Bowl. The FCC controls EVERYTHING now.

BUT, if it's due to safety reasons, I'm all for it. It's kind of like wearing a seatbelt. You're not planning to be in an accident when you get in your car, but it can happen... Better to be safe than sorry.

You know guys I'm all for safety of others also, but getting away from me most of the time is a 290yd snap hook that barely gets off the ground or big push slice, and of course doesn't carry the ball speed of a purely hit drive, yes 200+mph ball speed can really hurt someone but when its pushing 360+ the ball tends to loose speed. and again where I was and for what he said it had to be ALL CARRY, i have never carried 420+ and dont think i did last night or during the day especially with the crappy range balls out there. And if I did and can hit a REAL ball, I'll change my name to idrive500yards.

Idrive - You seem like a nice enough fella and it also seems apparent you don't have any intention of hurting anyone - That being said, the golfers on the course don't know that and the ownership doesn't know that either - It is their job to err on the side of caution as they know quite well that all it takes is one litigious customer to create a rather large headache for them - not to mention the possible monetary ramifications and unfortunately for you, the loss of your business (and those whom also leave as a result of you not being there) pales in comparison to the financial/legal risk of allowing you to be there...

Hopefully you can understand where they are coming from - or better yet, can work out some agreement with them as to specific times you can hit...

I understand their necessity to protect themselves against any litigation or any ramifications they may incurr by anyone getting hit by a ball, BUT they have 3 9 hole courses and a 60 stall driving range all in the same area and COINCIDE at one part or another. So any risk of getting hit by a ball is GREATER when your playing the par 3 courses(you should see some of the hacks that go there and have no respect for the course or anyone around them, I have seen 15-17 year old kids hit a DRIVER on some of the holes and laugh about it when it flies over to the next hole) and when the people using the driving range at the corner bays(slight horseshoe shape) which is alot closer than to where I was. And I also believe that on the back of the bag tag they give you states "WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURY DAMAGE LOSS TO YOU WHILE PLAYING ON THIS COURSE" among other things. The club pro has also seen us hit and never really said anything to us.

I have been banned from 5 in AZ. No good I tell yeah. Plus there is no range longenough to hit on. So I just set up on a Par 5 and hit for charities...LOL...Easiest way to get some good LD practice in. Sorry to hear that though 400. I know how it feels.

This is the third one, the first watched me hit, talked with me, said he used to do longdrive comps, bragged about a female longdriver that goes there, said it was great that I do longdrive, then said I can't hit there anymore, the second just said no way, and now this one. There is not alot of driving ranges around my area(for what reason I don't know, I mean you can golf here practically year round) and most of them are a short 250 yard range, I might just open a range myself, 3 tier, heated, automatic ball set up, indoor and outdoor putting green(with holes) and have it 450yards long so there will never be a problem for a longdriver and maybe even have a qualifier or 2 there. The ironic thing about all this is we had a REMAX qualifier there last year all day long and alot of longdrivers were warming up in the same area where i was and people were playing the par 3 courses at the same time.

How did you do in Navada, Vince?

this whole thing is just silly.

i seriously cannot believe what i'm reading. i think there's a huge difference between a ball hitting you from 180 yards out at terminal velocity rather than a 400 yard drive skipping across a tee box.

i'm curious, are any of you that have been hit by a golf ball even remotely athletic -- even in your younger days? i'm sure i'm not the only one who played football, baseball, hockey, et cetera. anyone else get flatbacked in football? anyone else get thrown at when they were batting?

i'm going to go out on a limb and say that getting hit by a golf ball isn't going to hurt you as bad as half you make it out to be.

the determining factor here is that he wasn't flying over/at at bystanders. i can't imagine someone actually fearing for their life if a ball came rolling across the tee.

This particular situation: ranges owners want to keep all cutomers, 400 and 250 drivers, and 400+ customers want a place to practice. Only a few balls will go into the tee box and they don't get there flying but rolling and skipping.

Here's a solution, the driving range should set up a net/mesh (cheap and available solution) to protect the golfers at the tee and other potentially danger areas, while at the same time providing the oportunity to some good customers to hit and drive their 400+ downwind, the net doesn't need to be more that 5 or 6 ft high considering that ALL the balls that could reach the net would have to arrive rolling and in no way flying.

If there is no net/mesh, then 400+ drives should be avoided by marshals AND by players, for security reasons and courtesy reasons. You can be a gentleman and not play golf, but you cannot play golf and not be a gentleman.....

You can wait for the tee to clear, but accidents happen, other wise it would be considered intentional and then they would sue you...but thats another story.

Good luck in your new driveng range facility

Idrive280butalwaysinfairwayandhaveagreatputt

i seriously cannot believe what i'm reading. i think there's a huge difference between a ball hitting you from 180 yards out at terminal velocity rather than a 400 yard drive skipping across a tee box.

i'm curious, are any of you that have been hit by a golf ball even remotely athletic -- even in your younger days? i'm sure i'm not the only one who played football, baseball, hockey, et cetera. anyone else get flatbacked in football? anyone else get thrown at when they were batting?

i'm going to go out on a limb and say that getting hit by a golf ball isn't going to hurt you as bad as half you make it out to be.

the determining factor here is that he wasn't flying over/at at bystanders. i can't imagine someone actually fearing for their life if a ball came rolling across the tee.

I hope you are kidding about this. As I knew someone that was killed by a golf ball. It is very dangerous.

I nominate you to stand @ 400 yards out and have him hit you.... it's going to leave a mark. :rolleyes:

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Brian thats suprising that you would side with him after you almost getting nailed by a drive over the net at our home course from the driving range.

Coach Baltes

lmao, your right, i guess if you get hit, its a differnt view at it. im not saying its a good thing, im just saying the range should be able to provide him with an addiquite place to hit balls to his ability. talk to the manager and see if they can set up a far far far far away tee box for you...or just hit from the parking lot lol

oh, dont forget when drew almost hit me on the course too coach lol

Brian

NG360 GPS

I'm just jealous I have to hit Driver and lob wedge before I get 400 :rolleyes:

Hmmm....I smell a bet. I'll be at Poppy on the 27th, let's hook up and find 400 yards for you pass with driver/lob wedge. And no blading the lob wedge! LOL....

Sorry idrive400yards, you cannot post here anymore, your signature is too long, it might crash into another post and wreck all kinds of havoc.....just kidding. 420yds, that is truly impressive. Kudos.

I was going to say, driver LW from 400 is still impressive. I can get it around and tossing up a 300 yard drive and a 100 yard LW is still big time...

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

You have obviously never been hit by a golf ball...(and to answer your question yes I have and still do play sports competitively)

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I hope you are kidding about this. As I knew someone that was killed by a golf ball. It is very dangerous.

No, I'm really not kidding.

To put this into perspective. He's not even coming close to hitting people on the fly.

How many people do you know who've died from a ball skipping onto a tee box and hitting them in the shins? I can only imagine how many people fall victim to rogue long drivers running balls out to 420 yards on to tee boxes.

You have obviously never been hit by a golf ball...(and to answer your question yes I have and still do play sports competitively)

Christ, I've been hit by golf balls. I know exactly how it feels. But they were nowhere near their terminal velocity and it's the same case here. There's actually been days where I've been asked to pick range by hand.

I've also played college baseball and getting drilled by someone throwing in the low 90s hurts a ton more.

Obviously this is way overblown. I could see if the tee box was 360 yards away and he's flying it over people's heads, but come on, that's just not happening.

Christ, I've been hit by golf balls. I know exactly how it feels. But they were nowhere near their terminal velocity and it's the same case here. There's actually been days where I've been asked to pick range by hand.

I've also played college baseball and getting drilled by someone throwing in the low 90s hurts a ton more.

Obviously this is way overblown. I could see if the tee box was 360 yards away and he's flying it over people's heads, but come on, that's just not happening.

I also played baseball and getting hit by a Kyle Farnsworth 98MPH fastball at 60'6" hurts alot more than a 420 yard drive that more than likely rolled up to them if it did at all.

I've been hit by 100 mph fastballs and foul tips as a catcher.

So what?

When I'm playing golf I don't want to be hit by a golf ball. Period.

The fact I've been hit by baseballs, while playing baseball, in a position where I expect to take hits, doesn't mean I want to take an unexpected hit by some inconsiderate moron with a driver, a golfball and a testosterone problem.

And for the record, I've been hit by golfballs, both on the fly and skipped into me. Both hurt like hell.