Big Bertha Alpha users.. How do you set your gravity core?

CAThompsonGolf

I recently got a Big Bertha Alpha. I have only played with the weights to increase overall swingweight only to set it back to the basic 1 and 7 gram weights flipped for what Callaway calls a "more neutral" flight. The club performs well for me. I have not toyed with the gravity core at all. It is set at the factory standard heavy side up position. I am curious where everyone has their gravity core set and how it benefits them. I tend to hit my driver higher on the face. As an above average golfer with a high ball flight, a club with a higher CG appeals to me but the lower spin Callaway claims from the gravity core down is also appealing. Did anyone get more distance with the gravity core up or down? Did anyone get lower spin with gravity core in up position? I am sure I am not the only one who thought "gravity core down = lower spin" was counterintuitive to the basic principles of golf equipment. I know it confused a few people at Golfsmith in early February. They told me the gravity core in up position was for lower spin... Any constructive thoughts are greatly appreciated!

KING LTD PRO HZRDUS 6.5
Callaway GBB 3 wood 757 X flex
Tour Edge CB Pro U Kuro Kage 90 X
PING S55 3-PW TI DG X100 PURE'D
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 56 60 DG X100 PURE'D
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='CAThompsonGolf' timestamp='1399181051' post='9227891']
I recently got a Big Bertha Alpha. I have only played with the weights to increase overall swingweight only to set it back to the basic 1 and 7 gram weights flipped for what Callaway calls a "more neutral" flight. The club performs well for me. I have not toyed with the gravity core at all. It is set at the factory standard heavy side up position. I am curious where everyone has their gravity core set and how it benefits them. I tend to hit my driver higher on the face. As an above average golfer with a high ball flight, a club with a higher CG appeals to me but the lower spin Callaway claims from the gravity core down is also appealing. Did anyone get more distance with the gravity core up or down? Did anyone get lower spin with gravity core in up position? I am sure I am not the only one who thought "gravity core down = lower spin" was counterintuitive to the basic principles of golf equipment. I know it confused a few people at Golfsmith in early February. They told me the gravity core in up position was for lower spin... Any constructive thoughts are greatly appreciated!
[/quote]
I have been using a BB Alpha for about a month now. After a little experimenting I found that the gravity core in the down position works best for me. I am 62 with a 4 hcp. Swing speed is about 100 give or take depending on how I am swinging. Ball trajectory is medium height with a straight to slight draw flight. I don't tend to put a lot of spin on the driver so I initially thought that the gravity core up position would be best for me. But in the down position I get better carry and better dispersion than in the up position. It also affects the sound the driver makes. To my ear the driver has a more solid feel and sound with the gravity core in the down position. I would suggest just trying it in different positions and weight configurations to see what works best for you. You could hit on a combo that is somewhat counter-intuitive. The changes are easy enough to make so there is no reason not to do some experimenting.

OP, if you do impact higher on the face, you'll be better off with the gravity core heavy side up. Moving the cg closer to impact will increase ball speed and you're already taking advantage of the gear effect to lower spin. If the cg is low and you impact high on the face, you'll see a slight reduction in spin compared to gc up, but a drop off in ball speed.
As with most things, it's a bit of a trade off.
Getting on a launch monitor to determine your own personal results would be the best option as always.
Good luck!

Edit: it is worth noting for anyone else wondering about the gravity core, that moving the heavy side toward the top of the club creates a mid cg, not a high cg. Low cg is achieved by having the gravity core down.

I have the 9.5* with 7g weight on the toe and 1g in the heel with Gravity Core low. Played my first round with it yesterday. I loved it. I hit a couple of bombs that I've never come close to hitting with anything else. I fight a hook as my miss and yesterday with this set up I hit a few long balls that had a slight fade. I'm very pleased. #BewareOfTheHoneymoonPhase!

King F9 9* HZDRS Smoke 6.0
Rogue 3W Evenflow Blue
Rogue 5W Evenflow Blue
714 AP2 4-W
MD4 52*
MD4 56*
MD4 60*
Odyssey O-Works #1 Black

[quote name='DeepSixer' timestamp='1399193057' post='9228205']
OP, if you do impact higher on the face, you'll be better off with the gravity core heavy side up. Moving the cg closer to impact will increase ball speed and you're already taking advantage of the gear effect to lower spin. If the cg is low and you impact high on the face, you'll see a slight reduction in spin compared to gc up, but a drop off in ball speed.
Getting on a launch monitor to determine your own personal results would be the best option as always.
Good luck!

Edit: it is worth noting for anyone else wondering about the gravity core, that moving the heavy side toward the top of the club creates a mid cg, not a high cg. Low cg is achieved by having the gravity core down.
[/quote]

Exactly right. Well said.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• 4 months later...

I have my Alpha 10.5* set at -1/Draw @ 9.5*, GC set low, with a 7 gram weight on the heel & 1 gram weight on the toe, shaft is a Tour AD DI 7x tipped 1" playing at 44.5" couldn't be happier with my Alpha...............................would like to change up the Shaft for a Tour AD BB 7x in the near future.

Take it Easy, Mike. " Go Play "

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1399304243' post='9235179']
[quote name='DeepSixer' timestamp='1399193057' post='9228205']
Good luck!

[/quote]

Exactly right. Well said.
[/quote]

If your hitting it high on the face it will increase loft by 1-2* and having the gravity core set high will make the ball spin more and ball flight will be even higher set it low if you hitting high on the face and adjust loft on cog to -1* will bring ball flight down and lower ball spin..................of course everybody is different I guess.

[url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/gravity-core-big-bertha-alpha-driver.html"]http://www.callawaygolf.com/gravity-core-big-bertha-alpha-driver.html[/url]