Old stock of TI Shafts sandvik

OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAPosts: 1,137 ✭✭
Hi guys,

I just received a box full of old Titanium shafts from a buddy of mine's dad. He used to be a hobby club builder and gave me all of old equipment and what little stock he had sitting in the garage. Good timing too, because I just purchased a set up of ping eye 2+ irons that I need to clean up. I have no clue what any of the specs on these shafts are. Some have the Sandvik Titanium USA, TI Shaft on them with either blue, red, or brown colored shafts. The others are bare metal. Most of them have the ID marks on the grip end. All of them are new never used. I've searched the net, but can't get anywhere! As far as I have gotten is to measure all the tip sizes and there are iron shafts and Driver/Wood shafts. Does anyone out there have any knowledge of these shaft? Thanks for your help.

I live in the city where Sandvik Specialty Metals is located and I remember how big a deal it was here locally back in my 20's working at the golf course.

Comments

• NuckandCupNuckandCup Members Posts: 298

Hi guys,

I just received a box full of old Titanium shafts from a buddy of mine's dad. He used to be a hobby club builder and gave me all of old equipment and what little stock he had sitting in the garage. Good timing too, because I just purchased a set up of ping eye 2+ irons that I need to clean up. I have no clue what any of the specs on these shafts are. Some have the Sandvik Titanium USA, TI Shaft on them with either blue, red, or brown colored shafts. The others are bare metal. Most of them have the ID marks on the grip end. All of them are new never used. I've searched the net, but can't get anywhere! As far as I have gotten is to measure all the tip sizes and there are iron shafts and Driver/Wood shafts. Does anyone out there have any knowledge of these shaft? Thanks for your help.

I live in the city where Sandvik Specialty Metals is located and I remember how big a deal it was here locally back in my 20's working at the golf course.

Remember them well...early, mid 90s

Slighty higher launch than the standard steel of the day...DGS300....but they played lighter. They were sub 100G IIRC Which was light back then. First graphite I used was Harrison Professional, they were 98 grams, and they felt the same, weight wise as the Titanium.

Never used the irons, just the driver/fwy.
    Titleist 913 9.5 Diamana S+ 62
    Titleist 913 15 Diamana S+ 72
    Titleist 913 21 & 24 Diamana S+ 82
    Prototype Forged (Japan) 5-PW Modus3 120
    Vokey SM5 50.12F, 54.14F, 60.11F WV 115
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
  • ShamblesShambles Members Posts: 3,548 ✭✭
    NuckandCup wrote:

Hi guys,

Slighty higher launch than the standard steel of the day...DGS300....but they played lighter. They were sub 100G IIRC Which was light back then. First graphite I used was Harrison Professional, they were 98 grams, and they felt the same, weight wise as the Titanium.

I pretty much agree but will add that they can be dented in a bang up, which pretty much surprised me. Luckily it continued to play well as the dent was near the grip which did not affect my swing.

They were good shafts but the grip end was a bit large and they provided no advantage that I could perceive regardless that they were a bit expensive.

Shambles
  • NuckandCupNuckandCup Members Posts: 298
    Shambles wrote:

NuckandCup wrote:

Hi guys,

I pretty much agree but will add that they can be dented in a bang up, which pretty much surprised me. Luckily it continued to play well as the dent was near the grip which did not affect my swing.

They were good shafts but the grip end was a bit large and they provided no advantage that I could perceive regardless that they were a bit expensive.

Shambles

That's true, they were spendy...and trimming them was a little weird.
    Titleist 913 9.5 Diamana S+ 62
    Titleist 913 15 Diamana S+ 72
    Titleist 913 21 & 24 Diamana S+ 82
    Prototype Forged (Japan) 5-PW Modus3 120
    Vokey SM5 50.12F, 54.14F, 60.11F WV 115
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,192 ✭✭
    You might want to find someone with a frequency meter to profile the shafts for you (assuming you don't have a meter yourself that is). That way you can make an intelligent plan on how to tip them and such.

I wouldn't mind trying one. Ti is so cool.
    Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    TEE Pro 21* hybrid (hook machine)
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • whiteout73whiteout73 Members Posts: 1,018 ✭✭
    I've got a set of Ping ISI Nickel irons with the Sandvik Ti X-stiff iron shafts. I still play them occasionally, and have always loved the shafts. I'm quite jealous of your haul, I must say. I used to assemble my own clubs 20-25 years ago. In high school, I had a TaylorMade Burner Plus (size of a 7-wood now), that I put a Ti shaft in, and my homemade 3-wood had one of the two-tone Sandvik Ti shafts.
    D - Ping G400 10-degree SFT, Diamana ka'li 70S
    3W - Tour Issue TM RBZ Tour TP 14.5, Diamana kai'li 70S
    Hy - TaylorMade 2009 Rescue TP 19, Aldila RIP 85S
    4-W - Ping i25, Ping TFC 189i graphite stiff
    UW - Ping i25, Ping CFS
    54 and 60 - Bettinardi H2 Cashmere
    P - Bettinardi BB28 Raw Limited
  • bk12bk12 Members Posts: 433 ✭✭
    Man, I loved those Ti shafts....really like the feel and look of them. Great "barn find".
  • OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAPosts: 1,137 ✭✭
    I'll post photos when my camera charges up. One of the shafts says Tour Silver from Taylormade
    Here are some pics. Sorry about the poor quality. I had to use my temporary walmart **** phone. It was quite a nice little hall. Sorry for all the pics, but I thought it might be fun to see if anyone recognizes an old shaft they may have used. I tried to capture the shaft ID numbers the best I could. Some are pretty faded. I measured and cataloged all of them if anybody wants to know what I have or has questions pm me!

• Damo75Damo75 Members Posts: 711
    Score!

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread in case you decide to look at parting with any of them.
    Titleist TS3 Even Flow 75X
    Taylor Made M2 Tour 3HL Kuro Kage
    Titleist 718 TMB 3-5 Project X PXi 6.0
    Adams A4 Tour 6-W DG X100
    Cleveland RTX 2 52, 56
    Brodgestone Prototype 60
    Taylor Made Spider Tour Red
    Most are parallel tip .370 iron or hybrid shafts in the 37-40" range. The 7TX are taper tip. A few are .350 driver/3wood shafts. I was hoping there as a clear set of iron shafts 3-pw, but doesn't appear to be in there. Now I need some heads to try a couple of these out.

I'm not emotionally attached to any of these really, so if anyone sees something they like let me know and I can give you more info if possible.
  • ValentValent Secret Asian Man Bangkok, ThailandMembers Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I don't suppose there are any shafts left from this post four years ago?

-VS

TRAVEL SET
    Driver - TaylorMade 2009 Burner TP 8.5° | Alidila Rogue 125 MSI Tour I/O 60 X Flex
    3-Wood - TaylorMade 2007 Burner TP 14.5° | Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73X X Flex
    2-9 Irons - Mizuno MP-60 Cut Muscle | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
    Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 50°/08F, 56°/14F, 60°/10S | Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
    Putter - TaylorMade Rossa AGSI+ Daytona 6 | Golf Pride Tour SNSR Taper 104CC Grip
    Balls - Titleist Pro V1x

HOME SET
    Driver - TaylorMade Tour Burner TP 8.5° | Aldila VS Proto 60 X Flex
    3-Wood - TaylorMade Tour Burner TP 14.5° | Aldila VS Proto 70 X Flex
    2-9 Irons - TaylorMade rac Forged TP | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
    Wedges - TaylorMade EF TP 50°/09, 56°/15, 60°/10 | KBS Tour Wedge Flex
    Putter - TaylorMade Spider Blade 32 | Golf Pride Tour SNSR Taper 104CC Grip
    Balls - TaylorMade TP5x

Grips - Golf Pride MCC | Black/Grey Plus4 ALIGN Midsize

1-Iron Option - Mizuno T-Zoid Sure 16° | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
    Putter Option - TaylorMade Rossa CGB Modena 8 | Golf Pride Tour SNSR Taper 104CC Grip
    Balls Option - Bridgestone Tour B X
  • JCAGJCAG John Curry Members Posts: 2,057 ClubWRX
    I used to deal with Sandvik TI shafts. They were a Swiss? machine tool company that got into the golf shaft business. They came out about the same time as graphite shafts were beginning to take hold. The original concept was lighter than steel but same playing characteristics. They were expensive and harsh feeling so except for the strongest swingers, they never took hold. Try one for giggles sake but that is all. Sell them if possible.
  • redbird59redbird59 Members Posts: 61 ✭✭

Funny how this thread is revived. I too would like to purchade a few of these shafts frim you if there are any left.

• SUITSSUITS Members Posts: 922 ✭✭

I have one in an EYE2 3 wood, it may be my favorite fairway shaft ever

Old thread. I sold them all in a lot back then. I kept 1 or 2 fairway length shafts to play with. I never did find any literature on what the markings meant as far as shaft specs. I may have kept a few more if I had an idea what any of them were.