Live View Golf: Real Time, Wireless Swing Camera

Live Video
Live View Golf is a wireless camera that provides real time video feedback of your swing during practice. Combined with our proprietary apps for iOS and Android you can draw reference lines and other objects to monitor your live swing using any Android, iPhone or iPad and insure that you are practicing exactly what you want.

Simple Recording
We've also simplified video recording. Because the camera is separate from the app, recording your own swing is much more simple. Simply tap the record button anytime you are ready to review a swing. In fact, recordings can be up to 10 minutes in length, so feel free to run your recording continuously without worrying about which swing to record for review.

When you are ready to review your recordings, standard video tools such as fast scrubbing and frame-by-frame playback give you the feedback that you want.

Compact
Because the best tools are the ones that you have with you, we designed Live View Golf to be as compact as possible and to work with things that are already in your bag. Mount Live View Golf to any alignment stick and use your iPhone, iPad or Android as the video monitor.

Remember, it's not practice that makes perfect, only Perfect Practice makes perfect.

For more information see us at

www.liveviewgolf.com

Follow us on:

Facebook www.facebook.com/liveviewgolf

Twitter: www.twitter.com/liveviewgolf

Instagram: www.instagram.com/liveviewgolf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received this unit a few weeks ago, and have to say it's really a very strong training tool. The app pairs seamlessly-- instant visual review, speed of playback and frame-by-frame analysis are strong points. I used it more front-on view to watch my hip slide as well as the length of my back swing and saw the benefits easily. I recommend giving it a try if you are serious about practicing and improving your game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank You, Great Question:

Think of Live View Golf as a mirror. The benefit of practicing in a mirror is to see your movement in real time and adjust to it on the spot to learn a new swing or move. The problem with mirrors is not only that they are bulky and fragile, using it may require you to come out of posture to peek to see what you are doing. Leveraging the mirror function, Live View Golf has these additional benefits:

a. Live View Golf gives you the live feedback that a swing mirror provides and puts it into a compact window right in front of your ball.

b. Live View Golf also allows you to place alignment objects such as swing planes and vertical posts and circles to check head movement and sway. This is similar to what is provided in various swing apps, but when these objects are in a live video, you can literally "trace" the lines with your club to learn the correct move. Your practice is much more consistent and precise and as a result you learn more quickly.

c. Live View Golf makes recording incredibly convenient. Another key aspect of the Live View Golf system is the fact that the camera is fixed during practice. When you want to record your swing, you simply tap the record button. There is no alignment of the camera (after the initial setup), there is no countdown timer and you don't have to bring a buddy to help you record. Most important, your live alignment planes are always precise to your setup.

To see a video explanation of how to use Live View Golf in your practice see the YouTube Video below:

For more videos check out our YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/c/liveviewgolf

Interesting product. What's the difference between this and an app like Swing Profile? Or even, what are the benefits of this as opposed to simply using your iPhone as the camera and broadcasting live to your iPad?

1. Regarding Swing Profile - I've seen the app and it is nice in that it does not require additional hardware. Our key differentiation against Swing Profile and any phone-only app is that it is still a "record and replay" app. You make your mistake and guess at the adjustment necessary to correct the swing. Because Live View Golf gives you the live feed, you can actually adjust your stance and takeaway to the plane lines in real time to insure you are "tracing" the correct swing path.The real-time feedback allows us to adjust our bodies to match the target. This instant feedback is critical in learning a swing change because the swing feel it is often very different from what we are expecting and are used to. Rather than guessing at what the correct swing feel is, you can use the real-time feedback to experience the correct swing feel immediately.

Another group that benefits greatly from this real-time feedback are the "Swayers". For some people swaying off the ball or even the dreaded "reverse pivot" is so deeply ingrained that they don't even realize they are doing it. If you blindfolded a "Swayer" and told him/her not to sway on the backswing, 99% will still sway because they don't know what it feels like NOT to sway. That is essentially what record and replay is: you are blind in the actual swing and have to guess at how to fix your swing without any real feedback as to what the correct move is. That is why swing mirrors are a common feature in most high end golf studios and that is why real-time is critical in learning a new swing.

Another benefit that Live View Golf's separate camera provides is free interaction with your viewing device. Because plane lines are very specific to the camera setup, moving the device even slightly will throw the plane lines off. Since our camera is independent and fixed, Live View Golf gives you the ability to study a particular swing carefully, frame by frame and even pause at specific points to figure out what is going on.

All that having been said, I think there is value in Swing Profile as an app only and I wish them the best of luck.

2. Regarding Live Streaming (non golf specific): Using a two device setup such as streaming from an iPhone to an iPad using Periscope or even video conferencing with yourself provides some of the benefits we tried to create with Live View Golf. In fact some of our early prototypes involved similar setups. There are a number of issues when using generic streaming apps in this manner:

a. Cost - Instead of one phone or one iPad you now have to purchase 2 devices. The cost for even a used devices can be in excess of $300. For some of you this is not an issue since you already own two or more devices.

b. Swing Tools: Since we started this discussion with App based swing analyzers, you are aware of the benefit that lines and other guide objects provide in your practice. Generic streaming apps do not provide a method to insert guide objects into your video to insure you are swinging on plane, or avoiding sway or incorrect pivot.

c. Recording Tools: Live streaming apps are not optimized to record and review video the way we do as golfers. We are often looking for very short clips and looking at them frame by frame to find a specific position that we are trying to fix. Even if an app allows recording, it is not setup to review the video conveniently frame by frame.

==> My genesis in Live View Golf started with the puzzle of why I failed to improve after decades of play and practice while my children took up the game and rapidly passed me in scoring ability. Even though I was attending the same lessons that they were (golf lesson driver duty), I was unable to make the swing changes that they made so easily. My catharsis came after a particularly frustrating driving range session where I spent 2 hours trying to fix an inside takeaway. I was using App based video to record and review my swings and compared my swing from the beginning of the session to the one at the end and realized that as much as I was focused on not taking away inside I was till doing the exact same thing. I finally came to the realization that decades of swinging inside made that takeaway feel completely natural for me and I had no idea what an on-plane takeaway would even feel like. I'd tried working with mirrors in the past but most driving ranges did not have mirrors available. One time I tried to bring a door mirror to the range and propped it against my bag until a gust of wind blew it over shattering the mirror and leading to a streak of 7 years of birdie free golf. That is when I realized that wireless streaming video could provide all of the necessary tools to finally help me improve.

Live View Golf attempts to bundle most of the critical video tools that are in common use today in a compact package that is small and portable for every day use in your bag or on the road. Most of all we tried to do so at a price point that is affordable for all golfers. I truly believe your practice will benefit from this because i am not just the founder - I am also a client =)

regards,

Shane Yang

Live View Golf

Founder

It's 2016, so why did you decide to come to market with a solution that is so far behind technology-wise?

1. 802.11 b/g ? Why not 802.11ac (or at least 802.11n)?
  2. 640x480 resolution is far too low
  3. 20 fps - I would think that using a faster wireless connection would permit higher frame rates

Thank you for your question:

1. The wifi chipset is a function of size and power consumption. I realize that 802.11 technology is marching on and getting faster all the time, but there are practical issues in implementing the latest chip sets. Other than cost, the bigger issue is size and power consumption. As new wifi chipsets are released they are normally stand alone silicon at first. This means that there is a lot of extra hardware required to build a fully functional wifi router and all the extra hardware requires space and power.As the chipsets get older, the wifi chipsets get cheaper. Eventually the price drops enough to where it makes sense to combine silicon into multi-function SOC, essentially a single chip that does it all. For gamers the most obvious analogy is in graphics cards. Graphic cards used to be separate addons to your PC. Now even entry level Processors have a built in graphics library, with the latest graphic cards being huge hulking beasts laden with hurricane generating fans.

The biggest benefit of the SOC is the reduced size = less weight to carry, lower power consumption and corresponding longer battery life.

2. Resolution: - I realize that iPhones and many new phone cameras are now running at 4K resolution with 240FPS. the limitation on our resolution and frame rate is dictated by the amount of data that must be transmitted in real-time in order to preserve the connection between the visual and muscle memory. We have found in studies that your ability to feel and learn a new swing position diminishes greatly if the video lag exceeds 0.5 seconds. We believe this has to do with normal human reaction time (visual to muscle) which is about 0.3 seconds for the average person. Therefore our system is optimized to minimize video lag, not image quality. The objects we are trying to see in a typical golf swing are large enough to be visible at 640x480 resolution.

There are engineering enhancements that will improve some of these technical specs, but the goal for our current hardware was to provide the core functionality that gives golfers the ability to review and improve their swings.

This is an interesting app and device, but I'm curious how one would make lines, circles, etc without losing position? You can't stay in that address or whatever your setup is while holding an ipad and tracing lines..?

This is actually one of the key features of our system. You record yourself, take your intended stance, and then go to playback. Using video playback, you can draw the lines, circles etc on the recorded stance. These lines now automatically transfer to live mode for use during actual practice.

This is an interesting app and device, but I'm curious how one would make lines, circles, etc without losing position? You can't stay in that address or whatever your setup is while holding an ipad and tracing lines..?

This is one of the reasons I bought the camera instead of doing the low-budget skype approach. In about a week of owning it, I've made more progress on my setup and specific back swing position because I can record the swing and then draw over it on the tablet for the rest of my practice session.

If you're interested, check out the topic I started on it earlier: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378936-mirrors-are-so-2015/

(Wonder if it should be merged with this one??)

Interesting product. What's the difference between this and an app like Swing Profile? Or even, what are the benefits of this as opposed to simply using your iPhone as the camera and broadcasting live to your iPad?

1. Regarding Swing Profile - I've seen the app and it is nice in that it does not require additional hardware. Our key differentiation against Swing Profile and any phone-only app is that it is still a "record and replay" app. You make your mistake and guess at the adjustment necessary to correct the swing. Because Live View Golf gives you the live feed, you can actually adjust your stance and takeaway to the plane lines in real time to insure you are "tracing" the correct swing path.The real-time feedback allows us to adjust our bodies to match the target. This instant feedback is critical in learning a swing change because the swing feel it is often very different from what we are expecting and are used to. Rather than guessing at what the correct swing feel is, you can use the real-time feedback to experience the correct swing feel immediately.

Another group that benefits greatly from this real-time feedback are the "Swayers". For some people swaying off the ball or even the dreaded "reverse pivot" is so deeply ingrained that they don't even realize they are doing it. If you blindfolded a "Swayer" and told him/her not to sway on the backswing, 99% will still sway because they don't know what it feels like NOT to sway. That is essentially what record and replay is: you are blind in the actual swing and have to guess at how to fix your swing without any real feedback as to what the correct move is. That is why swing mirrors are a common feature in most high end golf studios and that is why real-time is critical in learning a new swing.

Another benefit that Live View Golf's separate camera provides is free interaction with your viewing device. Because plane lines are very specific to the camera setup, moving the device even slightly will throw the plane lines off. Since our camera is independent and fixed, Live View Golf gives you the ability to study a particular swing carefully, frame by frame and even pause at specific points to figure out what is going on.

All that having been said, I think there is value in Swing Profile as an app only and I wish them the best of luck.

2. Regarding Live Streaming (non golf specific): Using a two device setup such as streaming from an iPhone to an iPad using Periscope or even video conferencing with yourself provides some of the benefits we tried to create with Live View Golf. In fact some of our early prototypes involved similar setups. There are a number of issues when using generic streaming apps in this manner:

a. Cost - Instead of one phone or one iPad you now have to purchase 2 devices. The cost for even a used devices can be in excess of $300. For some of you this is not an issue since you already own two or more devices.

b. Swing Tools: Since we started this discussion with App based swing analyzers, you are aware of the benefit that lines and other guide objects provide in your practice. Generic streaming apps do not provide a method to insert guide objects into your video to insure you are swinging on plane, or avoiding sway or incorrect pivot.

c. Recording Tools: Live streaming apps are not optimized to record and review video the way we do as golfers. We are often looking for very short clips and looking at them frame by frame to find a specific position that we are trying to fix. Even if an app allows recording, it is not setup to review the video conveniently frame by frame.

==> My genesis in Live View Golf started with the puzzle of why I failed to improve after decades of play and practice while my children took up the game and rapidly passed me in scoring ability. Even though I was attending the same lessons that they were (golf lesson driver duty), I was unable to make the swing changes that they made so easily. My catharsis came after a particularly frustrating driving range session where I spent 2 hours trying to fix an inside takeaway. I was using App based video to record and review my swings and compared my swing from the beginning of the session to the one at the end and realized that as much as I was focused on not taking away inside I was till doing the exact same thing. I finally came to the realization that decades of swinging inside made that takeaway feel completely natural for me and I had no idea what an on-plane takeaway would even feel like. I'd tried working with mirrors in the past but most driving ranges did not have mirrors available. One time I tried to bring a door mirror to the range and propped it against my bag until a gust of wind blew it over shattering the mirror and leading to a streak of 7 years of birdie free golf. That is when I realized that wireless streaming video could provide all of the necessary tools to finally help me improve.

Live View Golf attempts to bundle most of the critical video tools that are in common use today in a compact package that is small and portable for every day use in your bag or on the road. Most of all we tried to do so at a price point that is affordable for all golfers. I truly believe your practice will benefit from this because i am not just the founder - I am also a client =)

regards,

Shane Yang

Live View Golf

Founder

Thanks for the detailed response, much appreciated. I've sent you a PM for more info.

• 3 weeks later...

So the earlier post mentioned a wifi chipset, and I am not a tech hardware expert, but is wifi required to use this item? Or can I take an iPad with no cellular support to the driving range and paid them via Bluetooth?

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

So the earlier post mentioned a wifi chipset, and I am not a tech hardware expert, but is wifi required to use this item? Or can I take an iPad with no cellular support to the driving range and paid them via Bluetooth?

No, Internet is NOT requried. Wifi is what the camera uses to talk to the phone. You do not need cell phone service to use this. It is a direct connection between the iPad and the camera.

Don't take this personally but that's pretty lame. What's stopping you from streaming from two cameras at the same time? Data throughput, bluetooth?

Actually it is really a User Interface issue. The current architecture has the camera acting as the hotspot. When the iPad connects to the camera the camera becomes the wifi host. It is not possible to connect to two wifi hosts at the same time. In order to connect a second camera, you have to pair the second camera to the first camera using the first camera's network. To make operation simple and intuitive, the camera just turns on and off. Adding pairing functionality would add significant complexity and is one of the reason bluetooth devices are generally not well received. We could add some "autodetect" code that would pair a second camera onto the network of the first as soon it sees it, but if more than one user is on the driving range, you could get paired into another user's session. Now you have to add UI to figure out when to pair and unpair.

It is a solvable problem for sure, and it is part of our product roadmap, but this is the first version of this camera and I think there is enough functionality without allowing multi pairing.

Thank you for your input

PS. The recorded video can be played back in slow motion and frame by frame.

So the majority of driving ranges do not have wifi, thus this will not work?

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

So the majority of driving ranges do not have wifi, thus this will not work?

Absolutely not. This will work if you have outside wifi or not. This will work in the middle of nowhere or even on the moon if you choose (can get there), you do not need outside wifi, the camera provides its own wifi signal for your phone to connect to if that makes sense. WiFi ≠ Internet The camera provides its own WiFi signal for your phone.

No, but you can use two cameras paired with two devices...  I've gotten this question a lot, so I will try to post a video on this later today.

Here is the video on using 2 cameras together.  It's actually a really cool setup and feels a lot like GolfTek.  2 Cameras give you even more information about your swing, but I find for the most part one camera is sufficient

Don't take this personally but that's pretty lame. What's stopping you from streaming from two cameras at the same time? Data throughput, bluetooth?

Actually it is really a User Interface issue. The current architecture has the camera acting as the hotspot. When the iPad connects to the camera the camera becomes the wifi host. It is not possible to connect to two wifi hosts at the same time. In order to connect a second camera, you have to pair the second camera to the first camera using the first camera's network. To make operation simple and intuitive, the camera just turns on and off. Adding pairing functionality would add significant complexity and is one of the reason bluetooth devices are generally not well received. We could add some "autodetect" code that would pair a second camera onto the network of the first as soon it sees it, but if more than one user is on the driving range, you could get paired into another user's session. Now you have to add UI to figure out when to pair and unpair.

It is a solvable problem for sure, and it is part of our product roadmap, but this is the first version of this camera and I think there is enough functionality without allowing multi pairing.

Thank you for your input

PS. The recorded video can be played back in slow motion and frame by frame.

Thanks for the explanation. At this point it's probably not for me but keep working at it and make it better. There is some potential there.