I may be wrong...mid-level golf balls...

Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
Please disabuse me of this notion, for I am not sure, but I am beginning to think that mid-range balls are not worth the money, i.e., a two-piece distance ball will give you just that with no control around the greens. A premium ball will give you good distance as well as control around the greens. A mid-priced ball will sacrifice a bit on distance as well as control around the green. Am I wrong?

I am beginning to think that, for me anyway, a premium ball is the way to go.

Are there any mid-level balls that play like premium balls?
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]

Comments

• ironcheflamironcheflam Members Posts: 318 ✭✭
    I like the E6's they feel like a premium ball but for half the price. I have also heard that the new TP burner ball is also hot right now. Theres a whole tread already going with this debate you should check it out.
  • robflash33robflash33 Members Posts: 1
    They say that the nike power distance soft is a good buy for the money, i tried some of the nike power distance balls last week and they freakin fly off the driver, but they are useless for chipping. I bought some callaway hx tours last night on ebay after reading all the reviews (mainly from golftestusa), and found that it has the best distance with accuracy along control too.
  • Above the cloudsAbove the clouds Members Posts: 157
    I have only just started giving it a go but the Taylor Made Burner TP seems like a good ball. Might be worth a look, depending on your preferences.
  • sidewindersidewinder Members Posts: 1,260
    Burner TP = Maxfli Fire Tour

The OP already knows what that ball feels like.

Scott
  • thefuryonethefuryone JESUS CHRIST, A LION! Members Posts: 67
    Top Flite Gamer, E5+, NXT Tour among others...
  • Pinehurst1999Pinehurst1999 Members Posts: 2,173
    The e5 and e6 are definately worth the look, but do not expect the same amount of action around the greens.
  • bloodredsunbloodredsun Charter Members Posts: 1,831
    I've had great success with the Srixon Trispeed. It doesn't spin quite as much as a premium ball but it's easy enough to back up on full shots. It's only really noticeable when you are greenside and looking for maximum spin.

Another ball that performed surprisingly well was the Cally Hot. It was quite capable for what is apparently a distance ball and you should be able to pick it up cheap.
  • SoPure92SoPure92 Members Posts: 205
    The e5+, e6+, NXT and NXT Tour, and Callaway Hot are all very decent mid-priced golf balls.
  • klpraklpra Members Posts: 641
    ironcheflam wrote on Mar 5 2008, 01:26 PM:
    I like the E6's they feel like a premium ball but for half the price. I have also heard that the new TP burner ball is also hot right now. Theres a whole tread already going with this debate you should check it out.

I would agree from what I heard.
  • BFCBFC Lefty Boomers Posts: 589
    Wilson Zip. Excellent ball. Long and spins plenty.
  • nuneenunee Members Posts: 644
    The Nike Ignite ball has REAL good distance, and a fairly good spin. Along the linew of the Maxfli Fire Tour, but feels a touch softer. Still a LONG ball though.
    Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
    Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
    Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
    Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
    Nike VR 52* & 56*
    Nike T130
  • OnebulldogsOnebulldogs Members Posts: 1,362
    Avatar wrote on Mar 5 2008, 01:10 PM:
    Please disabuse me of this notion, for I am not sure, but I am beginning to think that mid-range balls are not worth the money, i.e., a two-piece distance ball will give you just that with no control around the greens. A premium ball will give you good distance as well as control around the greens. A mid-priced ball will sacrifice a bit on distance as well as control around the green. Am I wrong?

I am beginning to think that, for me anyway, a premium ball is the way to go.

Are there any mid-level balls that play like premium balls?

At the mid-priced level, the closest I have found in terms of spin and feel to a premium ball is the Bridgestone e5. Why? It has the Urethane cover spec'd on most premium balls. With its two-piece design, it doesn't sacrifice much, if any, distance.

The other way to play a premium ball at mid-price is to get last year's model in the winter. Every year, one or more OEM's will bring out a new ball in the winter. With a little shopping, you can find balls like last years Nike One for under $30 per dozen. When TopFlite dropped its premium ball, I got TL Stratas for $10 per dozen.

With respect to other mid-priced balls, you typically get a little more spin then a typical 2-piece design b/c of multi-layer designs. But you don't get the Urethane cover of the premium ball. This can be a good thing. If durabilty is important, the surlyn or ionomer cover on the mid-priced ball can be a wallet saver.

Bottom line: Each price points has its positives and negatives. Each of us has to decide how to balance price, feel, distance, and spin to fit our game and budget.
  • auggiewestauggiewest Members Posts: 222
    unless u are at least scratch premium balls are a waste of money. If money isnt an issue. keep playing, the hackers who play pro v 1's

just keep the used ball business in $$$
    TM Burner TP Superfast 9.5*
    ITM Rocketballz 17*
    Callaway Steelhead III 21*

TM 4-Gap R7 TP Dynamic Gold SL
    Callway Mack Daddy 56 & 60
    Ping Crazee Karsten Series 34.5

3.5 Index
  • Capt.happyCapt.happy Members Posts: 91
    I was tired of the premium ball price. Tried the Srixon Trispeed and they just work for me.
  • TEH60TEH60 Members Posts: 10
    I just tried The new Callaway HX-Hot Bite last weekend. I was very impressed with them............long and they take the spin real well.
  • Bite BiteBite Bite ~The Voice of Reason~ Members Posts: 504
    I have a dozen Bridgestone e5 balls here ready to go. I have been chipping and putting some around my house with the e5, ProV1x, and Nike Platinum. For the best price/performance I would go with the e5. I believe that the new e5 is suppose to be even softer than the first model but I haven't seen one yet. I judge a ball by "the bite test" and by putting around with it for a while. I really have to give the e5 credit as it feels great during both tests for me, especially for it's conservative price tag.
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    Thanks very much for all your comments and suggestions. I bought some HX Tour 56s on sale as I really like the greenside control, and they aren't bad off the tee either. I also have the Maxfli Tour Fire, aka, Burner TP, and that does a pretty decent job as well (I got them for $14.98 a dozen). Always in search for the magic bullet...
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • herkyjerkherkyjerk Members Posts: 1,347
    BFC wrote on Mar 5 2008, 08:44 PM:
    Wilson Zip. Excellent ball. Long and spins plenty.

yes yes and yes

this is a $30 ball in a $20 box
    Callaway GBB 9* Kuro Kage 50x
    Callaway Bertha Mini 12* Kuro Kage 60x
    Callaway XR16 17* Kuro Kage 60x
    Callaway Apex 23* 26* Kuro Kage 80s
    Callaway Steelhead XR 6-SW XP95s
    Callaway Sure Out 58*
    Odyssey Tank #7
    Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow