Mizuno ST180 driver swing weight custom adjustment

Hammer22

I've been playing the '17 M2 and generally liking it, but my 10.5° head is set three "clicks" down (somewhere around 9°) with the face open 4°. It's normally still a baby draw with it, even with the face open (I think the standard head is still somewhat draw biased), but the toe miss is always a high draw or good hook. With a bag that is all Mizuno, I decided to give the ST180 driver a try...

Since I scored one in the wrapper for around $210, it was hard to pass up. Standard length is 45", with the one I acquired coming in at around D2. With it cut to 44.5", that brought it down to about C9, which meant it needed some customization. Since Mizuno was no help, I found a decent solution for anyone that is playing this head. Coming from the RSM Classic thread, here's a tour van picture with bare heads that most likely get custom weights added for the pro's that may play them:

302szm0.jpg

In any case, my head weighed in a bit light at 196g with the original weight, which is 2g (reminiscent of the '16 M2). It's not an issue to use lead tape (unless you don't like the look), and my first round with it I added about 3g of yarn to the head which worked somewhat decent. Like the '17 M2, I really wanted a bit more weight in the back, which also helped with the forgiveness, and another round with lead tape back there made a real nice difference. Being picky, I preferred just having a screw-in weight so I could bring the head weight up about 3 or 4g (with a cleaner look as well), putting the club at D4.

Mine bare:

2qsvs08.jpg

As mentioned, Mizuno was no help, but a good solution is to acquire a weight for the TaylorMade JetSpeed driver. Here's what those look like (and note the thread-locker already applied):

2duml34.jpg

Since the TM weights happened to have the same thread as the Mizuno weight (5/16-24), this appeared to be a perfect solution. The only catch is that the diameters are slightly off. The JetSpeed weight - with trim ring - comes in at about 16mm, the Mizuno weight is roughly 17mm, and for another comparison, the '17 TM M2 weight is about 18mm. It's entirely possible to use an M2 weight if you file or grind it down around the edges, but the JetSpeed version worked just fine once a bit of silicone was added to fill the gap.

Here are the weights all next to each other, and for some useless trivia, with a TM wrench that happens to have the T25 "Security" tip that is needed to remove the Mizuno weight. It will take a bit of heat to break the thread locker, but the TM tool makes it easy if you don't have a bit handy. On the downside, you'll definitely need a T20 to put the JetSpeed weight in.

dnlhtf.jpg

Pretty simple otherwise, and here's my head with the new weight (plus a bit of black RTV around the edge to fill the gap). It came it right around 200g, but my scale was fluctuating slightly and just happened to show 201g as I snapped this pic. The silicone can be a bit messy to wipe up, but once it dries you probably won't even notice it, especially since some of the residue can be knocked off with a pick. I smeared a small bead in before tightening the weight, which should give the threads and trim ring some extra holding power as well.

2v981so.jpg

With the new weight, and GP Tour Velvet cord grip (+2 wraps), the club with the stock Tensei CK Blue shaft came it at 329g and a perfect D4. Playing at 9.5°, it was fantastic for a first round with the weight added in back. I probably will like this more than the M2 since I was hitting it straighter, but will take it on the course a few times to get used to it. Sound is great - nice 'crack' with each hit - and it's definitely a bomber (although on par distance-wise with the M2 from what I can tell so far). Also, Mizuno is already ahead on the "Twist Face" concept since I found a couple slight toe misses went pretty straight rather than snapping left. Overall, I'd say Mizuno definitely did it right with this one.

Before I forget, here are a couple eBay vendors that I found with the JetSpeed weights (one in Buffalo, NY, the other coming from China), mine as a 6g version.

https://www.ebay.com...VkAAOSwj85YNm94

https://www.ebay.com...XwReyjSBUHxKSjQ

For anyone playing this driver, or thinking about it, I hope this is helpful!

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's awesome. :)

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

I've been playing the '17 M2 and generally liking it, but my 10.5° head is set three "clicks" down (somewhere around 9°) with the face open 4°. It's normally still a baby draw with it, even with the face open (I think the standard head is still somewhat draw biased), but the toe miss is always a high draw or good hook. With a bag that is all Mizuno, I decided to give the ST180 driver a try...

Since I scored one in the wrapper for around $210, it was hard to pass up. Standard length is 45", with the one I acquired coming in at around D2. With it cut to 44.5", that brought it down to about C9, which meant it needed some customization. Since Mizuno was no help, I found a decent solution for anyone that is playing this head. Coming from the RSM Classic thread, here's a tour van picture with bare heads that most likely get custom weights added for the pro's that may play them:

302szm0.jpg

In any case, my head weighed in a bit light at 196g with the original weight, which is 2g (reminiscent of the '16 M2). It's not an issue to use lead tape (unless you don't like the look), and my first round with it I added about 3g of yarn to the head which worked somewhat decent. Like the '17 M2, I really wanted a bit more weight in the back, which also helped with the forgiveness, and another round with lead tape back there made a real nice difference. Being picky, I preferred just having a screw-in weight so I could bring the head weight up about 3 or 4g (with a cleaner look as well), putting the club at D4.

Mine bare:

2qsvs08.jpg

As mentioned, Mizuno was no help, but a good solution is to acquire a weight for the TaylorMade JetSpeed driver. Here's what those look like (and note the thread-locker already applied):

2duml34.jpg

Since the TM weights happened to have the same thread as the Mizuno weight (5/16-24), this appeared to be a perfect solution. The only catch is that the diameters are slightly off. The JetSpeed weight - with trim ring - comes in at about 16mm, the Mizuno weight is roughly 17mm, and for another comparison, the '17 TM M2 weight is about 18mm. It's entirely possible to use an M2 weight if you file or grind it down around the edges, but the JetSpeed version worked just fine once a bit of silicone was added to fill the gap.

Here are the weights all next to each other, and for some useless trivia, with a TM wrench that happens to have the T25 "Security" tip that is needed to remove the Mizuno weight. It will take a bit of heat to break the thread locker, but the TM tool makes it easy if you don't have a bit handy. On the downside, you'll definitely need a T20 to put the JetSpeed weight in.

dnlhtf.jpg

Pretty simple otherwise, and here's my head with the new weight (plus a bit of black RTV around the edge to fill the gap). It came it right around 200g, but my scale was fluctuating slightly and just happened to show 201g as I snapped this pic. The silicone can be a bit messy to wipe up, but once it dries you probably won't even notice it, especially since some of the residue can be knocked off with a pick. I smeared a small bead in before tightening the weight, which should give the threads and trim ring some extra holding power as well.

2v981so.jpg

With the new weight, and GP Tour Velvet cord grip (+2 wraps), the club with the stock Tensei CK Blue shaft came it at 329g and a perfect D4. Playing at 9.5°, it was fantastic for a first round with the weight added in back. I probably will like this more than the M2 since I was hitting it straighter, but will take it on the course a few times to get used to it. Sound is great - nice 'crack' with each hit - and it's definitely a bomber (although on par distance-wise with the M2 from what I can tell so far). Also, Mizuno is already ahead on the "Twist Face" concept since I found a couple slight toe misses went pretty straight rather than snapping left. Overall, I'd say Mizuno definitely did it right with this one.

Before I forget, here are a couple eBay vendors that I found with the JetSpeed weights (one in Buffalo, NY, the other coming from China), mine as a 6g version.

https://www.ebay.com...VkAAOSwj85YNm94

https://www.ebay.com...XwReyjSBUHxKSjQ

For anyone playing this driver, or thinking about it, I hope this is helpful!

Wow this is awesome and thanks for sharing my friend! Your posts are always so helpful!

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

• 4 months later...
Pardon my ignorance but the "T20" for the jetspeed weight...where would I get that? Quick search on eBay (UK) didn't turn up anything. Thanks.

They are a Torx bit. T is for torx, 20 is the bit size. Search for torx bit security set. The security part is the little nub in the center. The wrench he has in the pic shows what it is.

Contents of bag subject to change...frequently 

Pardon my ignorance but the "T20" for the jetspeed weight...where would I get that? Quick search on eBay (UK) didn't turn up anything. Thanks.

They are a Torx bit. T is for torx, 20 is the bit size. Search for torx bit security set. The security part is the little nub in the center. The wrench he has in the pic shows what it is.

Excellent that makes sense! I'll get on that today because I'm thinking a bit more weight in the back of the head will help. Cheers!

Hopefully we can apply this when the ST190 arrives...hopefully same thread and diameters of the weight port.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0