Need some advice on iron flex for son

2»

Comments

  • jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX Posts: 2,605 ClubWRX
    nbg352 wrote:


    nbg352 wrote:


    May I ask why, given today's excellent quality in graphite shafts, why you feel he "needs" to be in steel now?




    Same reason JJ9000 gave. He is going to get him graphite and within 6 months wish he hadn't. Would have to turn around and buy new clubs again. Get in steel, get acclimated, and move on. Junior girl's aren't even using graphite shafts.
    Well, I must disagree. Almost all women's clubs are graphite. Many jr.. boys use graphite in appropriate weight and flex. A lot of men are moving to lighter shafts in the 75 - 90 gram range in both steel and graphite. And very few of the people I have fitted into graphite or light steel, wish they hadn't. On a personal note, I personally gave up my #4 Hogan shafts 10 years ago and have used graphite anywhere from 55 grams to my current 65 gram shafts. I have never felt that I was any worse for the change. The only caveat? I believe that graphite iron shafts very often play soft to marked flex, so most switchers would often be better with a flex stiffer than most steel counterparts. I don't say any of this acrimoniously, I just think that there is another viable side to this.




    Why kick the can down the street for 6-8 months though...just to be in the same position the kid (and parents) are in right now?



    The OP mentioned that the kid's coach said he needed to be in steel by the end of the year. The sooner they can get into steel the better. Otherwise, they'll be "learning" steel later on and be behind their peers that moved to steel.



    I'm not disputing the notion that there are really good graphite shafts out there. However, you compared your personal experience with graphite to that of a growing boy. If you gave up your #4 Hogans 10 years ago, I think it's safe to assume that you (and I) are on different growth --> strength trajectories as this kid. He'll continue to get stronger with age while you (and I) get weaker with age.



    The kid's fitting session with his dad...coupled with the kids coach's recommendation...support my position.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,003 ✭✭
    nbg352 wrote:

    nbg352 wrote:


    May I ask why, given today's excellent quality in graphite shafts, why you feel he "needs" to be in steel now?




    Same reason JJ9000 gave. He is going to get him graphite and within 6 months wish he hadn't. Would have to turn around and buy new clubs again. Get in steel, get acclimated, and move on. Junior girl's aren't even using graphite shafts.
    Well, I must disagree. Almost all women's clubs are graphite. Many jr.. boys use graphite in appropriate weight and flex. A lot of men are moving to lighter shafts in the 75 - 90 gram range in both steel and graphite. And very few of the people I have fitted into graphite or light steel, wish they hadn't. On a personal note, I personally gave up my #4 Hogan shafts 10 years ago and have used graphite anywhere from 55 grams to my current 65 gram shafts. I have never felt that I was any worse for the change. The only caveat? I believe that graphite iron shafts very often play soft to marked flex, so most switchers would often be better with a flex stiffer than most steel counterparts. I don't say any of this acrimoniously, I just think that there is another viable side to this.




    Junior Girl tournament golfers can’t swing women’s clubs. You are talking about girl’s with swing speeds of 85+ at 13. At 15 my daughters swing speed was at 95. I know a girl right now at 14 swinging it 98. If you go to an AJGA event or Hurricane, the majority of girls are in mens clubs with steel shafts. Same thing collegiately and on the LPGA.



    We can agree to disagree, and I disagree with you.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    edited Jun 26, 2018 #34

    nbg352 wrote:


    May I ask why, given today's excellent quality in graphite shafts, why you feel he "needs" to be in steel now?




    Same reason JJ9000 gave. He is going to get him graphite and within 6 months wish he hadn't. Would have to turn around and buy new clubs again. Get in steel, get acclimated, and move on. Junior girl's playing tournament golf at that age aren't even using graphite. Dispersion is much better with steel.




    I am not sure I agree with this there are graphite shafts that are very consistent and the reduce the chance for injury. We used to have steel shafts in woods and now no one uses them.



    There are also a number of pro on tour also using graphite. The only disadvantage I know of is graphite costs more then steel so using steel shafts is cheaper.



    The fact there cheaper and they don’t want to change when they can afford better options is the reason I see people use steel.
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,784 ✭✭
    Man, you guys brought up some great points. I personally switched from X100 to Pro95 TS x-flex earlier this year and not looking back. Body feels fresh after 18 like I did when I was a youth. I was a little concerned about the amount of balls my son hits daily would wear on him. After last night's range session with his new set, no denying he should be in steel shafts for the time being. He and I were both amazed at how more accurate he was without losing distance. He claims now I was holding him back. Maybe when he stops growing I'll introduce him to graphite irons shafts if he so desires.



    Thanks to everyone for your input and advice. I appreciate you guys.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,003 ✭✭
    4rheel wrote:


    Man, you guys brought up some great points. I personally switched from X100 to Pro95 TS x-flex earlier this year and not looking back. Body feels fresh after 18 like I did when I was a youth. I was a little concerned about the amount of balls my son hits daily would wear on him. After last night's range session with his new set, no denying he should be in steel shafts for the time being. He and I were both amazed at how more accurate he was without losing distance. He claims now I was holding him back. Maybe when he stops growing I'll introduce him to graphite irons shafts if he so desires.



    Thanks to everyone for your input and advice. I appreciate you guys.




    My son has a 3i with a steel shaft. He can hit it. Was thinking about getting one with a graphite shaft in it just to see if it gave him anymore distance.
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,784 ✭✭
    Wow, I don't even use a 3i! You should consider the Fuji Pro95, great distance without losing accuracy.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,003 ✭✭
    4rheel wrote:


    Wow, I don't even use a 3i! You should consider the Fuji Pro95, great distance without losing accuracy.




    Would have him fitted for it. He loves Wilson Staff Irons and the rep lives just 30 minutes away. He meets us all the time when we need something.
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 962 ✭✭
    4rheel wrote:


    Wow, I don't even use a 3i! You should consider the Fuji Pro95, great distance without losing accuracy.




    Would have him fitted for it. He loves Wilson Staff Irons and the rep lives just 30 minutes away. He meets us all the time when we need something.


    Steel fiber i95.

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,780 ClubWRX
    Anyone try the KBS 560/580 steel shafts? Appears they have been out for a few years now and they are a steel shaft specifically tailored to juniors. Amazingly, flex is less stout than their lightest graphite offering: TGI 50's.
  • Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Posts: 343 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:


    Anyone try the KBS 560/580 steel shafts? Appears they have been out for a few years now and they are a steel shaft specifically tailored to juniors. Amazingly, flex is less stout than their lightest graphite offering: TGI 50's.




    Bought a Cleveland Junior wedge for my daughter and it comes with the KBS junior steel shaft in it. It was too heavy for her so my nephew uses it and loves it. Just bought my daughter to Cleveland ladies wedges that have graphite shafts in them and I’ll cut them down to fit her. Weight should fine for her with the graphite shafts.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,003 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:


    Anyone try the KBS 560/580 steel shafts? Appears they have been out for a few years now and they are a steel shaft specifically tailored to juniors. Amazingly, flex is less stout than their lightest graphite offering: TGI 50's.




    Have the 580 regular flex shaft. Great shaft.
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.