We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

2019 BETTINARDI STUDIO STOCK

willie991 ·  
willie991willie991  359Members Posts: 359
I was blessed with winning a 2019 SS28 Slotback through a WRX drawing. By way of that win, part of my obligation should be to review my experience with the putter.

Who am I? An over-the-hill 72 year old. 2018 saw me card right at 200 rounds. Our handicap season runs from March 1 through November 15. I entered 151 rounds in our handicap system during that time frame. The other almost 50 rounds were played before or after the handicap season. My handicap bounced around in the 8 to 9 area. Ended up with an 8.3 handicap.

Putting has not been one of my strengths. The past two seasons I have bagged a Select GoLo from Cameron. In my basement resides a number of Ansers, some of which do see one or two rounds/year. I toyed with the idea of ordering the Arm Lock. Could not convince myself to totally change my putting style at this age. The Slotback appeared to give me advantages of a mid-mallet while having some similarity to the Anser style.

I've always putted with a 35" and ordered the SS28 at that length. I also asked for the jumbo Bettinardi grip... a jumbo Lamkin cord.

Was love at first sight, even though it arrived while the ground was white with snow. Winter has been difficult for us. We've experienced pretty open winters the past few years. Played 20 rounds, here, in December. Then, January/February Mother Nature decided to vent her anger. I have only 5 rounds with the SS28, to date. Those rounds have been played on winter slow greens. I will update my review as the season progresses and we see more typical green conditions.

Appearance: The finish of the SS28 is superb. I like how the putter sets up. Does not appear "oversize", but when held up against the GoLo has a longer face/blade. The milling of the F.I.T. grooves is perfect.

The putter has a "heavy" feel. Some of this may be the jumbo grip. Still, it just seems to "flow" through the putting stroke. The roll I am getting from the F.I.T. milling is amazing. The first day I took it to the course, I dropped a couple balls on the putting clock, 6 feet or so from a hole. I made those first two putts! Was that a sign? That remains to be seen as the season progresses.

In just the few rounds I've bagged the SS28, each hole seems to enhance our relationship. Certainly, it is still the honeymoon period that can be experienced with most any new club. My confidence with this putter, in only five rounds, is already greater than that of a putter I bagged for the past two seasons.

I am excited about the upcoming season and will report from time to time as to how the SS28 and my journey together unfolds.
Posted:

Comments

• burns9304burns9304  362Members Posts: 362
    Congrats on the free Bettinardi from the contest win. I'm sure your love for the SS28 will grow the more you use it just like mine does for my BB0s!
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9* Graphite Design Tour IZ 6
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Graphite Design Tour IZ 7
    Titleist TS2 19* Graphite Design Tour IZ 95
    Callaway Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Oban CT-115 
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50*F, 55*M, 60*M Shimada Tour Wedge
    Bettinardi BB0 Flow DASS
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Invisible-zInvisible-z  110Members Posts: 110
    Got any photos?
    Posted:
  • poppman2142poppman2142  1172Members Posts: 1,172
    How would you compare the fit face feel and sound to other putters you have used?
    Posted:
    Ping G410+ 10.5 with Diamana X17' 60 stiff
    Titleist TS2 16.5* with Tensei Pro White 70 stiff tipped 1"
    Titleist TS2 hybrid 19* with Tensei Pro White 90 stiff tipped 1/2"
    Titleist 680 MB 4-9 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff SS 1X
    Vokey SM7 46,50,55,60 with Shimada Tour X-Stiff 
    Yes C Groove Callie tour issue Badds prototype long neck
    Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track
    Golf Pride Multicompound Black/Black +1/64"
    Ogio Silencer bag
  • cargo8cargo8  76Members Posts: 76

How would you compare the fit face feel and sound to other putters you have used?

The FIT face is by far the softest putter face I've ever tried / experienced (I'm gaming the SS28 currently). If you hit it in the sweet spot honestly sometimes it barely feels like you hit anything. It's great if you have an aggressive putter stroke generally. One complaint on this from friends who have tried it is that they felt you actually had to hit it harder to get the ball going, which I'll concede the putter definitely doesn't have the same "pop" off the face as a lighter milled putter. Personally this is what I'd expect if you go so far to the "soft" side of the feel spectrum.

Previously gamed, comparable putters include Scotty Studio Select Newport and Scotty Circa 62 #3. The circa is a little hotter / poppier off the sweet spot, altho both the Circa and the Betti will click a little bit more as you move away from the sweet spot (recently corrected my stroke from a consistent 2-4mm off the toe back into the sweetspot / CG). And the GSS insert in the Studio Select is a tiny bitt hotter / bouncier than the Circa in my opinion, and also a tiny bit clickier.

Other significant differences, as OP pointed out, is that the headweight is around 367g for the SS28 compared to something like 330 for both Scotties I mentioned. Definitely takes some adjustment, and I still cycle through the putters occasionally, but the Betti is the primary putter in the bag right now. Also the SS28 is nearly FB and the Scottys are 1/4 toe hang. I like to switch back to the Scotty blades when I'm feeling more confident in my stroke and trying to drain putts, whereas the SS28 weight and soft feel really help me putt very consistently no matter what.
    Posted:
    WITB
    Titleist TS3 9.5° Mitsubishi Diamana DF 50S
    Tour Edge Exotics CBX 3W Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661S
    Taylor Made GAPR Lo 2-17°KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid 65S
    Callaway X Forged Utility Iron 21° Oban CT-100 Steel
    Callaway Apex MB 5-PW Oban CT-100 Steel
    Taylor Made Milled Grind Chrome 50.09 Oban CT-100 Steel
    Taylor Made Milled Grind Black 54.09 Oban CT-100 Steel
    Taylor Made Milled Grind Black 58.09 Oban CT-100 Steel
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #28

Retired + Bullpen
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 3 34" 350g
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport
    Taylor Made RAC TP MB 3-PW
  • willie991willie991  359Members Posts: 359
    Snow finally gone and, hopefully, a long winter giving way to Spring. Greens are still a little slow. but we are getting some rounds in. Some comments, so far, about my new SS28.

I've owned a number of Camerons. My latest, and the one still in my arsenal, is a Golo. Mine is the Golo that is a solid block of carbon steel, before the inserts. This SS28 feels softer than the carbon steel mallet.

As one poster stated, the SS28 is heavier than what I have been used to. Took a little bit to get used to that. The weight makes the putter "flow" through the stroke. Once you get a feel for speed, this putter is amazing. Long putts have been falling in unbelievable numbers. "Honeymoon"? Hopefully not!

I have a SBST stroke. The very limited toe hang is noticeable. Very easy to keep the SS28 on line.

2018, I carded almost 200 rounds. As the Betti and I spend more time getting to know each other and as our greens become quicker, I will try to post my experiences a few more times.
    Posted:
  • zeke013zeke013  105Members Posts: 105

Got an update? My Slotback in en route.
    I am curious about the low profile - and how that impacts your stroke.

Posted:

Advertisement

Guess I don't understand your comment "low profile". The Slotback has just as tall a face as most any of my other putters. If I can get a better picture in my mind of your question, I will quickly respond.
    This putter has changed my game! Took a few rounds to get used to the weight. Once the putter and I decided we wanted the marriage to be a good experience for both, it has been amazing!

Posted:
  • IcemanzacwIcemanzacw  418Members Posts: 418

Any updates? Torn on the SS28 in single bend vs Center Shafted.

Posted:

Still quite happy with the SS28. I will be honest. The Betti has not been in the bag the entire time since I rec'd it. I have too many putters that get lonely in the basement and they need some fresh air during the "off season". The Betti is in the bag right now and will undoubtedly remain for the rest of this year.
    I am not the world's greatest putter. Can get "yippy". The SS28 is heavy and seems to flow through the stroke so well. The roll the F.I.T. machining puts on the ball is unbelievable.
    As you can see... still extremely satisfied.

Posted:
  • jwwoodjwwood  4Members Posts: 4

Just got mine in. Cant wait to try it out. The finish is beautiful. Ive had so many putters over the years. Of all of them the bettinardi studio stock 15 has felt the best. I have high hopes for this one. ..

Posted:
  • mister2coolmister2cool  3841Members Posts: 3,841

A review with NO pictures??? I am pretty sure that's a violation of GolfWRX contest rules.

Posted:
    2017 M1 440 10.5, Project X Even Flow Black 65 6.0
    2017 M1 3W, Project X Even Flow Blue 75 6.0
    RBZ Stage 2 18*H,Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0
    Srixon z945 4-P, DG S300
    Nike Engage DS 52* DG S400
    Nike Engage TS 58* DG S400
    Callaway X-Forged 64* DG S400
    Putter... Who needs that?

Advertisement

Just got mine in. Cant wait to try it out. The finish is beautiful. Ive had so many putters over the years. Of all of them the bettinardi studio stock 15

Posted:

I will soon

Posted:
  • JoelsimJoelsim  1352Members Posts: 1,352

I like mine but haven’t been able to get out with it, and won’t until September. I’ve put a Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite grip on it and it feels great with carpet putting.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Fairway: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 54 Rotex 
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac),  Cleveland Huntington Beach #10 (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Forza (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).

On -, @mister2cool said:

A review with NO pictures??? I am pretty sure that's a violation of GolfWRX contest rules.

These were taken the day I received it. My phone does NOT take good pictures. The apples on the table came our clearer than the putter!! :>)

Posted:

And, I have almost 90 rounds already in this year. 95% of those rounds the Betti was in the bag. She has not acted up often enough to spend more than one or two days in "time out". I carded a 75 this morning on a par 72 course. At 72 years old, the short game has to be on to score. This putter has certainly helped with that short game. The ONLY thing I could ever suggest as a negative is that the F.I.T. machining seemed extremely "fragile". I keep a cover on the putter at all times on and off the course. Early on, I removed the cover during the round and ended up with a few minor marks on the machining. As noticed right off the bat, the feel of a ball coming off the F.I.T. machining is unlike anything else I have ever used. I currently own a Cameron and about a half dozen older Pings. I've bagged more Odysseys over the years than I can count. There is noting wrong with any of those putters. None, however, have the feel of this Betti. She is also very heavy. I have grown to like that weight. On shorter putts, she seems to just flow through the stroke. On longer putts, you have to "feel" the green speed or you will have distance control issues. She and I have done a pretty good job on those longer putts... except when I've had too many cups of strong black coffee just before playing.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • JoelsimJoelsim  1352Members Posts: 1,352

If I had one criticism of Bettinardi it’s their mallet headcovers. Firstly they’re not a great fit for a mallet, and secondly bloody Velcro rather than magnetic. I have to say the Toulon headcover is way better.

Then again I don’t take any of the headcovers out on course, I bought a cheap magnetic one which works for all my putters.

Posted:
    Post edited by Joelsim on
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Fairway: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 54 Rotex 
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac),  Cleveland Huntington Beach #10 (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Forza (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).

Tried to post a picture but not able to yet. Took the putter out yesterday and it feels amazing! Very soft paired with Titleist avx. Ive used camerons and pings in the past. Only had one bettinardi, the studio stock 15. This one feels the best out of them all to me. Absolutely love it so far.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.