ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

How to teach a kid to break 70

tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭
Ok I know this a stretch goal for all of us and everyone says it a mental thing that will hold your score back. But truly what type of game do you need to break 70 almost every time? I am only throwing out the 70 number because if were honest we all would want out kid be that good. It really could be any number like 80,90 or 100 but I think we all like more birdies in our life.
«1

Comments

  • CTgolfCTgolf Advanced Members Posts: 391 ✭✭
    tiger1873 wrote:


    Ok I know this a stretch goal for all of us and everyone says it a mental thing that will hold your score back. But truly what type of game do you need to break 70 almost every time? I am only throwing out the 70 number because if were honest we all would want out kid be that good. It really could be any number like 80,90 or 100 but I think we all like more birdies in our life.




    Superior ball striking (15+ GIR per round) and great putting.



    Hardly anyone breaks 70 consistently.
  • The GeneralThe General Advanced Members Posts: 1,698 ✭✭
    putt and chip like a madman.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 8,747
    Let me know when you find out because I would like to break 70 and I'm no kid.



    Also, the level of play and elements involved with breaking 100, 90, and 80 are totally different from breaking 70. Each benchmark becomes exponentially harder, obviously. I personally shoot mid to high 70's on a consistent basis, but have only broken 70 3-4 times in my life and I've been playing a very long time.
  • oregongolforegongolf Lefty Boomers Posts: 8,566 ✭✭
    Obviously you have to be comfortable being under par to regularly do so.



    Play several tees up and make a ton of birdies as a skill building tool.



  • tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:


    Let me know when you find out because I would like to break 70 and I'm no kid.



    Also, the level of play and elements involved with breaking 100, 90, and 80 are totally different from breaking 70. Each benchmark becomes exponentially harder, obviously. I personally shoot mid to high 70's on a consistent basis, but have only broken 70 3-4 times in my life and I've been playing a very long time.




    Honestly I don't know the answer. One thing I do see is a big difference between paying casual practice rounds and actual tournament numbers. My kid usually scores a lot better in casual practice rounds. I know I am not the only one that see this sort of thing. I think a lot is mental I mean She goes for the pin in casual round but plays safe in a tournament.



    Obviously you need skill to break 70 but like I said it just a made up number.
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Advanced Members Posts: 254
    edited March 13
    I think this is why USKG sets up yardages the way they do. Hit it closer to the green, easier club to hit it on the green (GIR) as well as closer to the hole. So ball striking would be number 1. Same reason you can take a 3-5 handicap that always plays the tips and that person will likely have a shot to break 70 if he plays from the forward tees. Why? Because he just had to par all the par 3s and 4s and birdie the par 5s - I know it doesn’t exactly work out that way, but just to simplify.



    Problem is that courses are set up long for national/regional junior events in high school. Local pga section, not always the case. So you really have to be a good ball striker or have lights out short game. Have both and will have a good shot at breaking 70, IMO.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:


    Let me know when you find out because I would like to break 70 and I'm no kid.



    Also, the level of play and elements involved with breaking 100, 90, and 80 are totally different from breaking 70. Each benchmark becomes exponentially harder, obviously. I personally shoot mid to high 70's on a consistent basis, but have only broken 70 3-4 times in my life and I've been playing a very long time.




    Honestly I don't know the answer. One thing I do see is a big difference between paying casual practice rounds and actual tournament numbers. My kid usually scores a lot better in casual practice rounds. She is super aggressive in a casual round. I know I am not the only one that see this sort of thing. I think a lot is mental I mean She goes for the pin in casual round but plays safe in a tournament. It's like she is a different player out there.



    Obviously you need skill to break 70 but like I said it just a made up number.
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Advanced Members Posts: 254
    edited March 13
    tiger1873 wrote:

    kekoa wrote:


    Let me know when you find out because I would like to break 70 and I'm no kid.



    Also, the level of play and elements involved with breaking 100, 90, and 80 are totally different from breaking 70. Each benchmark becomes exponentially harder, obviously. I personally shoot mid to high 70's on a consistent basis, but have only broken 70 3-4 times in my life and I've been playing a very long time.




    [color="#282828"]Honestly I don't know the answer. One thing I do see is a big difference between paying casual practice rounds and actual tournament numbers. My kid usually scores a lot better in casual practice rounds. She is super aggressive in a casual round. I know I am not the only one that see this sort of thing. I think a lot is mental I mean She goes for the pin in casual round but plays safe in a tournament. It's like she is a different player out there. [/color]



    Obviously you need skill to break 70 but like I said it just a made up number.




    While mental is important, it doesn’t come before ball striking. Best way to fight wind is hit it on the screws (yes - you may flight it and club up). So it’s not always about calculation. Sure, you have to know where to miss and have controlled aggression, but having the perfect game plan or mental game or the ability to calculate will not make an average ball striker break par on a consistent basis.



    I doubt Rory, Rose, Tiger, Koepka, DJ... calculate anywhere close to Phil and Dechambeau.
  • BertGABertGA Advanced Members Posts: 256 ✭✭
    I’m not sure who these kids are that break 70 nearly every time. You are talking about the top 5-10 in the world.



    As far as I can tell, that’s a lottery win of motivation, mental game and raw talent for children. Grit can get you there when you are older. Either way, those kids aren’t taught so much as their talent is harnessed and directed down a path.
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Advanced Members Posts: 254
    edited March 13
    I think there’s a lot of benefit into getting your junior into modern blades, player cavity clubs at a young age to improve ball striking, even if that means adding forgiveness later on when even decimals of a shot matters over the course of three rounds. I’m just a firm believer that player category clubs makes you practice to be a strong ball striker as opposed to GI clubs designed to mask flaws.



    I know a high school junior that went from mizuno MP-15s to TM P-790s and his dispersion was all over the place - so much so that he went back to mizuno MPs. Balls would just jump on him with the P-790s in a very unpredictable matter here and there when he was playing ajga events.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 8,747
    tiger1873 wrote:

    kekoa wrote:


    Let me know when you find out because I would like to break 70 and I'm no kid.



    Also, the level of play and elements involved with breaking 100, 90, and 80 are totally different from breaking 70. Each benchmark becomes exponentially harder, obviously. I personally shoot mid to high 70's on a consistent basis, but have only broken 70 3-4 times in my life and I've been playing a very long time.




    Honestly I don't know the answer. One thing I do see is a big difference between paying casual practice rounds and actual tournament numbers. My kid usually scores a lot better in casual practice rounds. She is super aggressive in a casual round. I know I am not the only one that see this sort of thing. I think a lot is mental I mean She goes for the pin in casual round but plays safe in a tournament. It's like she is a different player out there.



    Obviously you need skill to break 70 but like I said it just a made up number.




    My kid is the exact opposite. He can shank it all over the place in practice rounds and will go win a regional tournament when it matters. I'm still trying to get him to practice better.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭
    BertGA wrote:


    I'm not sure who these kids are that break 70 nearly every time. You are talking about the top 5-10 in the world.



    As far as I can tell, that's a lottery win of motivation, mental game and raw talent for children. Grit can get you there when you are older. Either way, those kids aren't taught so much as their talent is harnessed and directed down a path.




    A lot kids especially boys break 70 in tournaments more often than not at higher levels of junior golf. Even some girls are capable of this. There are also not the top in the world either that would be golfers that turned pro and went on tour. I used the 70 number because I know that is hard but you could say 80 or even 90. I also talking about breaking 70 in tournaments because it very different then just a casual round. Lots of people choke in tournaments



    To me to break par you have to be better than just a good putter or ball striker if it was that easy we would see it more often.
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Advanced Members Posts: 254
    tiger1873 wrote:

    BertGA wrote:


    I'm not sure who these kids are that break 70 nearly every time. You are talking about the top 5-10 in the world.



    As far as I can tell, that's a lottery win of motivation, mental game and raw talent for children. Grit can get you there when you are older. Either way, those kids aren't taught so much as their talent is harnessed and directed down a path.




    A lot kids especially boys break 70 in tournaments more often than not at higher levels of junior golf. Even some girls are capable of this. There are also not the top in the world either that would be golfers that turned pro and went on tour. I used the 70 number because I know that is hard but you could say 80 or even 90. I also talking about breaking 70 in tournaments because it very different then just a casual round. Lots of people choke in tournaments



    To me to break par you have to be better than just a good putter or ball striker if it was that easy we would see it more often.




    Disagree - way easier to learn to be strong mentally than becoming an elite ball striker. Could be our definition of ball striking is different.
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Advanced Members Posts: 254
    edited March 13
    tiger1873 wrote:

    BertGA wrote:


    I'm not sure who these kids are that break 70 nearly every time. You are talking about the top 5-10 in the world.



    As far as I can tell, that's a lottery win of motivation, mental game and raw talent for children. Grit can get you there when you are older. Either way, those kids aren't taught so much as their talent is harnessed and directed down a path.




    A lot kids especially boys break 70 in tournaments more often than not at higher levels of junior golf. Even some girls are capable of this. There are also not the top in the world either that would be golfers that turned pro and went on tour. I used the 70 number because I know that is hard but you could say 80 or even 90. I also talking about breaking 70 in tournaments because it very different then just a casual round. Lots of people choke in tournaments



    To me to break par you have to be better than just a good putter or ball striker if it was that easy we would see it more often.




    I’ve seen sport psychologists caddie juniors for the sole purpose of hoping their advice of pre shot and visualization would magically improve ball striking consistency during the round. Seemed to make marginal difference in score.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭

    tiger1873 wrote:

    BertGA wrote:


    I'm not sure who these kids are that break 70 nearly every time. You are talking about the top 5-10 in the world.



    As far as I can tell, that's a lottery win of motivation, mental game and raw talent for children. Grit can get you there when you are older. Either way, those kids aren't taught so much as their talent is harnessed and directed down a path.




    A lot kids especially boys break 70 in tournaments more often than not at higher levels of junior golf. Even some girls are capable of this. There are also not the top in the world either that would be golfers that turned pro and went on tour. I used the 70 number because I know that is hard but you could say 80 or even 90. I also talking about breaking 70 in tournaments because it very different then just a casual round. Lots of people choke in tournaments



    To me to break par you have to be better than just a good putter or ball striker if it was that easy we would see it more often.




    Disagree - way easier to learn to be strong mentally than becoming an elite ball striker. Could be our definition of ball striking is different.




    Lots of people have talent and hit the ball in the center but still can't break 80 or even 90 because they have poor course management or other issues. Kids who are breaking 70 all seem to be pretty confident they can hit the shot they need to. I have a feeling it has something to do with fear. A lot kids play if safe and it costs them in tournaments.
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Advanced Members Posts: 254
    tiger1873 wrote:

    BertGA wrote:


    I'm not sure who these kids are that break 70 nearly every time. You are talking about the top 5-10 in the world.



    As far as I can tell, that's a lottery win of motivation, mental game and raw talent for children. Grit can get you there when you are older. Either way, those kids aren't taught so much as their talent is harnessed and directed down a path.




    A lot kids especially boys break 70 in tournaments more often than not at higher levels of junior golf. Even some girls are capable of this. There are also not the top in the world either that would be golfers that turned pro and went on tour. I used the 70 number because I know that is hard but you could say 80 or even 90. I also talking about breaking 70 in tournaments because it very different then just a casual round. Lots of people choke in tournaments



    To me to break par you have to be better than just a good putter or ball striker if it was that easy we would see it more often.




    But you don’t. You don’t see ball striking levels of Miller or Mac O Grady that often. Same with present-day elite ball strikers.
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Advanced Members Posts: 254
    tiger1873 wrote:


    tiger1873 wrote:

    BertGA wrote:


    I'm not sure who these kids are that break 70 nearly every time. You are talking about the top 5-10 in the world.



    As far as I can tell, that's a lottery win of motivation, mental game and raw talent for children. Grit can get you there when you are older. Either way, those kids aren't taught so much as their talent is harnessed and directed down a path.




    A lot kids especially boys break 70 in tournaments more often than not at higher levels of junior golf. Even some girls are capable of this. There are also not the top in the world either that would be golfers that turned pro and went on tour. I used the 70 number because I know that is hard but you could say 80 or even 90. I also talking about breaking 70 in tournaments because it very different then just a casual round. Lots of people choke in tournaments



    To me to break par you have to be better than just a good putter or ball striker if it was that easy we would see it more often.




    Disagree - way easier to learn to be strong mentally than becoming an elite ball striker. Could be our definition of ball striking is different.




    Lots of people have talent and hit the ball in the center but still can't break 80 or even 90 because they have poor course management or other issues. Kids who are breaking 70 all seem to be pretty confident they can hit the shot they need to. I have a feeling it has something to do with fear. A lot kids play if safe and it costs them in tournaments.




    Again - finding the center of the face and consistent elite ball striking are two different things.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭
    edited March 13

    tiger1873 wrote:

    BertGA wrote:


    I'm not sure who these kids are that break 70 nearly every time. You are talking about the top 5-10 in the world.



    As far as I can tell, that's a lottery win of motivation, mental game and raw talent for children. Grit can get you there when you are older. Either way, those kids aren't taught so much as their talent is harnessed and directed down a path.




    A lot kids especially boys break 70 in tournaments more often than not at higher levels of junior golf. Even some girls are capable of this. There are also not the top in the world either that would be golfers that turned pro and went on tour. I used the 70 number because I know that is hard but you could say 80 or even 90. I also talking about breaking 70 in tournaments because it very different then just a casual round. Lots of people choke in tournaments



    To me to break par you have to be better than just a good putter or ball striker if it was that easy we would see it more often.




    But you don't. You don't see ball striking levels of Miller or Mac O Grady that often. Same with present-day elite ball strikers.




    I don't know about you but I see a lot good ball strikers in tournaments around here. I am pretty sure there in the top 5% too but have a hard time breaking 70. When I see boys play the ones who win and break 70 in a lot tournaments they seem pretty fearless. Yes they sometimes have blowups but more often then not there at the top of leaderboard.



    You can still break 70 with a bogey or two but make a 3 or 4 birdies. So it's not like you can't have a few issues a round and still break par.
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Advanced Members Posts: 254
    edited March 13
    tiger1873 wrote:


    tiger1873 wrote:

    BertGA wrote:


    I'm not sure who these kids are that break 70 nearly every time. You are talking about the top 5-10 in the world.



    As far as I can tell, that's a lottery win of motivation, mental game and raw talent for children. Grit can get you there when you are older. Either way, those kids aren't taught so much as their talent is harnessed and directed down a path.




    A lot kids especially boys break 70 in tournaments more often than not at higher levels of junior golf. Even some girls are capable of this. There are also not the top in the world either that would be golfers that turned pro and went on tour. I used the 70 number because I know that is hard but you could say 80 or even 90. I also talking about breaking 70 in tournaments because it very different then just a casual round. Lots of people choke in tournaments



    To me to break par you have to be better than just a good putter or ball striker if it was that easy we would see it more often.




    But you don't. You don't see ball striking levels of Miller or Mac O Grady that often. Same with present-day elite ball strikers.




    I don't know about you but I see a lot good ball strikers in tournaments around here. I am pretty sure there in the top 5% too. When I see boys play the ones who win seem pretty fearless. Yes they sometimes have blowups but more often then not there at the top of leaderboard.



    You can still bogey a few holes if you able birdie enough of them




    If you and I have the same definition of ball striking then these kids play fearless bc they have total control over the golf ball relative to their peers.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Advanced Members Posts: 2,905 ✭✭
    Approach shots/Approximatey to hole/Ball Striking (I group all these as one) and Mental Game. You don't even have to hit while hitting 10+ greens a round. You can score without hitting a bunch of greens if you misses through ball striking is good.



    Tiger... some people have all of the talent in the world and will never break 75. I see very few elite ball strikers and we have played with a lot of elite players.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭
    edited March 13


    Tiger... some people have all of the talent in the world and will never break 75.




    Totally agree with this statement. I would add many times the people who actually do break 70 are not even close to the most talented players. I think if we were talking about low 60's then you are truly talking about a Tiger woods type of player and pretty much then are probably playing a flawless game.
  • leezer99leezer99 Advanced Members Posts: 891 ✭✭
    Oh man, if only there were a planner out there that addressed almost this exact question.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 8,747
    So these are a set of my irons. Am I an elite ball striker or not?



  • wlmwlm Members Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Great ball striking, great putting and chipping, and very confident / high expectations. They are comfortable making a lot of birdies.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Advanced Members Posts: 2,905 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:
    So these are a set of my irons. Am I an elite ball striker or not?







    Can’t tell. You can hook, slice, pull shots and still hit the center of the club face.
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Advanced Members Posts: 16,480 ✭✭
    e9v6dI6.jpg



    Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level
  • leezer99leezer99 Advanced Members Posts: 891 ✭✭
    iteachgolf wrote:
    e9v6dI6.jpg



    Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level


    That par 3 average is the most impressive.
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Advanced Members Posts: 254
    kekoa wrote:


    So these are a set of my irons. Am I an elite ball striker or not?









  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Advanced Members Posts: 254
    Seems different to me...
  • jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 2,542 ClubWRX
    iteachgolf wrote:


    e9v6dI6.jpg



    Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level




    She could really go low if she could find a Fairway.
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Advanced Members Posts: 5,006 ✭✭
    jj9000 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    e9v6dI6.jpg



    Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level




    She could really go low if she could find a Fairway.




    Looking at those stats make me want to cry.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • leezer99leezer99 Advanced Members Posts: 891 ✭✭
    iteachgolf wrote:
    e9v6dI6.jpg



    Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level


    BTW, nice job on the Golf.com 2019 Teachers to Watch list!
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Advanced Members Posts: 16,480 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:
    e9v6dI6.jpg



    Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level


    BTW, nice job on the Golf.com 2019 Teachers to Watch list!




    Thank you.

    ebrasmus21 wrote:

    jj9000 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    e9v6dI6.jpg



    Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level




    She could really go low if she could find a Fairway.




    Looking at those stats make me want to cry.




    Lots of people say the same thing about her swing haha. She has potential to be real special.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭
    edited March 13
    jj9000 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    e9v6dI6.jpg



    Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level




    She could really go low if she could find a Fairway.




    How is her mental game I am assuming that she knows she can break par and that has a lot to do with it as well. Also at what point do you say a score is the way the ball bounces that day.



    When you say not hitting fairways does that mean she has issues with her driver not going strait. I think once girls go above 220 or so a lot kids have issues with hitting a predictable driver off the tee. Probably not her but a lot kids have that issue.
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Advanced Members Posts: 16,480 ✭✭
    edited March 13
    tiger1873 wrote:

    jj9000 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    e9v6dI6.jpg



    Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level




    She could really go low if she could find a Fairway.




    How is her mental game I am assuming that she knows she can break par and that has a lot to do with it as well. Also at what point do you say a score is the way the ball bounces that day.



    When you say not hitting fairways does that mean she has issues with her driver not going strait. I think once girls go above 220 or so a lot kids have issues with hitting a predictable driver off the tee. Probably not her but a lot kids have that issue.




    She hits 92% of her fairways. He was joking. She hits it 250ish. Her mental game and putting are her biggest weaknesses but improving. You can have the best mental game and attitude in the world, but if you don’t hit 13+ greens it’s very difficult to break 70 consistently. You have to have the ability to put yourself in a position to shoot those scores.



    Bounces, good and bad, even out over time. You’re not gonna struggle to break 70 because of bad bounces. Ball doesn’t tend to bounce into trouble if it lands in the fat side of the green
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭
    iteachgolf wrote:

    tiger1873 wrote:

    jj9000 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    e9v6dI6.jpg



    Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level




    She could really go low if she could find a Fairway.




    How is her mental game I am assuming that she knows she can break par and that has a lot to do with it as well. Also at what point do you say a score is the way the ball bounces that day.



    When you say not hitting fairways does that mean she has issues with her driver not going strait. I think once girls go above 220 or so a lot kids have issues with hitting a predictable driver off the tee. Probably not her but a lot kids have that issue.




    She hits 92% of her fairways. He was joking. She hits it 250ish. Her mental game and putting are her biggest weaknesses but improving. You can have the best mental game and attitude in the world, but if you don’t hit 13+ greens it’s very difficult to break 70 consistently. You have to have the ability to put yourself in a position to shoot those scores.



    Bounces, good and bad, even out over time. You’re not gonna struggle to break 70 because of bad bounces. Ball doesn’t tend to bounce into trouble if it lands in the fat side of the green




    I figured she could hit a fairway just was interested in what her shortcomings were. I think a lot people have potential or can be taught to break par but lack the talent to go lower.



    The truly low players can get that ball within 10 feet consistently to make birdies. You can probably give or take a few feet but the chance of birdie goes down a lot even if your a great putter. Not too many people have that much control over the ball.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭
    edited March 13
    iteachgolf wrote:

    tiger1873 wrote:

    jj9000 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    e9v6dI6.jpg



    Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level




    She could really go low if she could find a Fairway.




    How is her mental game I am assuming that she knows she can break par and that has a lot to do with it as well. Also at what point do you say a score is the way the ball bounces that day.



    When you say not hitting fairways does that mean she has issues with her driver not going strait. I think once girls go above 220 or so a lot kids have issues with hitting a predictable driver off the tee. Probably not her but a lot kids have that issue.




    She hits 92% of her fairways. He was joking. She hits it 250ish. Her mental game and putting are her biggest weaknesses but improving. You can have the best mental game and attitude in the world, but if you don’t hit 13+ greens it’s very difficult to break 70 consistently. You have to have the ability to put yourself in a position to shoot those scores.



    Bounces, good and bad, even out over time. You’re not gonna struggle to break 70 because of bad bounces. Ball doesn’t tend to bounce into trouble if it lands in the fat side of the green




    I sort of figured that I was just wondering what areas needed improvement. What I meant by the way the ball bounces was not that were going to have an issue breaking 70 but for them to have a really low day say below 65 you need to ball to break your way.



    I know you mentioned putting as weakness but a certain point is it realistic to think more putts could be sunk. This is assuming she is hitting in a good percent within 10 feet. I have seen tour players do it but not too many people get the ball consistently within 10 feet from the fairway for a decent chance at birdie.
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Advanced Members Posts: 16,480 ✭✭
    tiger1873 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:

    tiger1873 wrote:

    jj9000 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    e9v6dI6.jpg



    Stats for spring season of one of my girls. Tournament rounds only. To have the opportunity to break 70 almost every time you need to hit it at an elite level




    She could really go low if she could find a Fairway.




    How is her mental game I am assuming that she knows she can break par and that has a lot to do with it as well. Also at what point do you say a score is the way the ball bounces that day.



    When you say not hitting fairways does that mean she has issues with her driver not going strait. I think once girls go above 220 or so a lot kids have issues with hitting a predictable driver off the tee. Probably not her but a lot kids have that issue.




    She hits 92% of her fairways. He was joking. She hits it 250ish. Her mental game and putting are her biggest weaknesses but improving. You can have the best mental game and attitude in the world, but if you don’t hit 13+ greens it’s very difficult to break 70 consistently. You have to have the ability to put yourself in a position to shoot those scores.



    Bounces, good and bad, even out over time. You’re not gonna struggle to break 70 because of bad bounces. Ball doesn’t tend to bounce into trouble if it lands in the fat side of the green




    I sort of figured that I was just wondering what areas needed improvement. What I meant by the way the ball bounces was not that were going to have an issue breaking 70 but for them to have a really low day say below 65 you need to ball to break your way.



    I know you mentioned putting as weakness but a certain point is it realistic to think more putts could be sunk. This is assuming she is hitting in a good percent within 10 feet. I have seen tour players do it but not too many people get the ball consistently within 10 feet from the fairway.




    She shot -8 in her last event with 17 lipouts in 54 holes. She could make a lot more putts.



    You don’t need lucky bounces to shoot 65. You need to be good. Plenty of guys shoot mid 60s regularly. On PGA Tour conditions at 7,400 yards it’s gonna happen less often, but on your standard golf course it’d happen regularly.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭
    edited March 13
    iteachgolf wrote:


    She shot -8 in her last event with 17 lipouts in 54 holes. She could make a lot more putts.



    You don’t need lucky bounces to shoot 65. You need to be good. Plenty of guys shoot mid 60s regularly. On PGA Tour conditions at 7,400 yards it’s gonna happen less often, but on your standard golf course it’d happen regularly.




    To me the big question to me far the putts are. If we’re talking about 30 foot putts it just means the ball was not dropping that day.Which is just the way golf is some days. If we’re talking 6 foot putts that is another matter. I have a feeling 6ft putts are not an issue.





    To shoot low you also need to be able to sink putts at least 6 ft. Realistic I would think sinking a high percent of 10ft to considered excellent for anyone. Above those distances the odds are just against you to make them.
  • barrysmootbarrysmoot It's Not So Much How You Drive, But How You Arrive ;) Advanced Members Posts: 397 ✭✭
    Hmmm...is your daughter's name Alexa Pano or Lexi Thompson? Those are awesome stats for the "Last 7" rounds...



    btw - what app is that with the stats?
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Advanced Members Posts: 16,480 ✭✭
    tiger1873 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    She shot -8 in her last event with 17 lipouts in 54 holes. She could make a lot more putts.



    You don’t need lucky bounces to shoot 65. You need to be good. Plenty of guys shoot mid 60s regularly. On PGA Tour conditions at 7,400 yards it’s gonna happen less often, but on your standard golf course it’d happen regularly.




    To me the big question to me far the putts are. If we’re talking about 30 foot putts it just means the ball was not dropping that day.Which is just the way golf is some days. If we’re talking 6 foot putts that is another matter. I have a feeling 6ft putts are not an issue.





    To shoot low you also need to be able to sink putts at least 6 ft. Realistic I would think sinking a high percent of 10ft to considered excellent for anyone. Above those distances the odds are just against you to make them.




    60% of those lipouts were inside 12’. In well aware of the stats. She’s not a good putter and can easily make more putts

    barrysmoot wrote:


    Hmmm...is your daughter's name Alexa Pano or Lexi Thompson? Those are awesome stats for the "Last 7" rounds...



    btw - what app is that with the stats?




    Decade



    And not my daughter. Student.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭
    iteachgolf wrote:




    60% of those lipouts were inside 12'. In well aware of the stats. She's not a good putter and can easily make more putts










    Iteach

    Thanks for the info I think the thing that stands out to me is Stats are good but they obviously don't tell the whole story. You really have to play your game and not someone else's. This means playing to your strengths.



    Obviously to break 70 I think you need to have a combination of things but you don't need to be perfect at everything.



    The copying other peoples games I think happens a lot in junior golf and in the case of my kid has been an issue where it costs strokes in tournaments.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Advanced Members Posts: 2,905 ✭✭
    tiger1873 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:


    60% of those lipouts were inside 12'. In well aware of the stats. She's not a good putter and can easily make more putts










    Iteach

    Thanks for the info I think the thing that stands out to me is Stats are good but they obviously don't tell the whole story. You really have to play your game and not someone else's. This means playing to your strengths.



    Obviously to break 70 I think you need to have a combination of things but you don't need to be perfect at everything.



    The copying other peoples games I think happens a lot in junior golf and in the case of my kid has been an issue where it costs strokes in tournaments.




    http://www.golfwrx.com/531182/how-power-helps-your-golf-game-and-its-not-how-you-think/



  • darter79darter79 Advanced Members Posts: 654 ✭✭
    Tiger shouldn't your kid focus on breaking 80 first? Why jump the gun? Or even shooting in the 80's more consistent basis? With her distance of 250 and ss of over 100 shouldn't breaking 80 be easy for her?
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭
    darter79 wrote:


    Tiger shouldn't your kid focus on breaking 80 first? Why jump the gun? Or even shooting in the 80's more consistent basis? With her distance of 250 and ss of over 100 shouldn't breaking 80 be easy for her?




    She does all the time and is going lower ever week as she practices a lot. I just ask the question because I think we all would like to figure out how to get our kids lowers. It's not an easy answer. No need to get another thread locked. Why is this even important? Actually both of my kids are well above normal in swing speed and distance and I confirmed that with pretty reliable source who has plenty of experience.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Advanced Members Posts: 930 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    darter79 wrote:


    Tiger shouldn't your kid focus on breaking 80 first? Why jump the gun? Or even shooting in the 80's more consistent basis? With her distance of 250 and ss of over 100 shouldn't breaking 80 be easy for her?




    She does all the time and is going lower ever week as she practices a lot. I just ask the question because I think we all would like to figure out how to get our kids score lower. You have to learn to score low and it not just talent that gets you there. It's not an easy answer either. No need to get another thread locked. Why is this even important?



    If you have to know both of my kids are well above normal in swing speed and distance and I confirmed that with pretty reliable source who has plenty of experience. Being extra long at a young age presents some very different challenges when playing short courses that girls tend to play. It's a very different game not harder but you have to play different.



    In about 6 years you and me can we can joke about it when when my youngest who is 8 now is playing with your kid in a tournament. From your posts your kid sounds like she may be better than you think she is.
  • byerxabyerxa Members Posts: 15
    Looking at those (great) stats, the putts per round stand out to me as the one weak area. Every other number is elite IMO.



    My experience watching girls break 70 is

    1. Got keep the ball in play off the tee. Pounding it down the middle helps but is not critical.

    Then either

    2a. Throwing darts on approach shots

    or

    2b. Dropping putts like crazy



    My kid can't putt to save her life so when she does break 70 (which is not often) it is because she throws darts. Watching the better junior girls I see the ones that go low typically do it because they sink a bunch in the 10-20 foot range. Still need half decent ball striking to get the ball to 20 feet but they don't necessarily throw darts. Of course when they have a round of throwing darts you start seeing the mid-60s rounds.



    I will also add that to me it seems superior ball striking is the common thread with girls who consistently shoot low (the top Canadian junior girl has immaculate ball control with her irons). They also can play a round where nothing looks great but they still post a sub-70 round, i.e., they simply can get the ball into the hole in less strokes than others.
  • darter79darter79 Advanced Members Posts: 654 ✭✭
    tiger1873 wrote:

    darter79 wrote:


    Tiger shouldn't your kid focus on breaking 80 first? Why jump the gun? Or even shooting in the 80's more consistent basis? With her distance of 250 and ss of over 100 shouldn't breaking 80 be easy for her?




    She does all the time and is going lower ever week as she practices a lot. I just ask the question because I think we all would like to figure out how to get our kids score lower. You have to learn to score low and it not just talent that gets you there. It's not an easy answer either. No need to get another thread locked. Why is this even important?



    If you have to know both of my kids are well above normal in swing speed and distance and I confirmed that with pretty reliable source who has plenty of experience. Being extra long at a young age presents some very different challenges when playing short courses that girls tend to play. It's a very different game not harder but you have to play different.



    In about 6 years you and me can we can joke about it when when my youngest who is 8 now is playing with your kid in a tournament. From your posts your kid sounds like she may be better than you think she is.




    All the time huh? You do know tournaments results are posted online. Here one for example



    https://imgjgt.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/imgjgt18/event/imgjgt1812/contest/1/leaderboard.htm



    No I don't think my kid is great at golf as you do. I think she above average but that's all it is, not asking how to break 70 when your daughter struggles to break 100. But then again I'm not asking about what it takes to break 70 when clearly your focus on what she should be trying to break is off.



    Clearly learning to score is a part of the game that you overlooked. Doesn't matter how long any one is if you can't get it in the hole.
  • darter79darter79 Advanced Members Posts: 654 ✭✭
    tiger1873 wrote:

    darter79 wrote:


    Tiger shouldn't your kid focus on breaking 80 first? Why jump the gun? Or even shooting in the 80's more consistent basis? With her distance of 250 and ss of over 100 shouldn't breaking 80 be easy for her?




    She does all the time and is going lower ever week as she practices a lot. I just ask the question because I think we all would like to figure out how to get our kids score lower. You have to learn to score low and it not just talent that gets you there. It's not an easy answer either. No need to get another thread locked. Why is this even important?



    If you have to know both of my kids are well above normal in swing speed and distance and I confirmed that with pretty reliable source who has plenty of experience. Being extra long at a young age presents some very different challenges when playing short courses that girls tend to play. It's a very different game not harder but you have to play different.



    In about 6 years you and me can we can joke about it when when my youngest who is 8 now is playing with your kid in a tournament. From your posts your kid sounds like she may be better than you think she is.




    all the time huh? You know they post results online.



    its important because you are missing the big picture. If you are shooting in the 80 and 90s the focus should be trying to break those number on a constant basic not worrying about something that is currently unattainable. Yes you claim both your kids are top 1% of speed everyone on here knows what you claim but this is Golfwrx so there is that. Playing a shorter course being a long hitter is easy if you have any course management skills.



    My kid? naa she okay good but not great. She long for her age but not top 1% but I don't go around claiming that. I know what she struggles at and keeps her from scoring well. Perhaps they will perhaps they won't. My kid will be at worlds if your up for a challenge.
  • CTgolfCTgolf Advanced Members Posts: 391 ✭✭
    Some very interesting back and forth. People should not hold back...tell us all how you really feel!
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.