Two 3W shafts and two heads - how would you pair them?

hurley999shurley999s Members Posts: 164 ✭✭

I have 2 sets of clubs at 2 courses (keep each one there so I don’t have to travel with clubs) and working on new 3W setups but not sure which head to pair with which shaft.

Heads: Both 2016 M2 tour (deep face), one 15 degree and one HL 16.5 degree
Shafts: Accra TZ6 75 M5 and Tensei Pro Blue 70TX

What do I want? Basically I don’t want either combo to be high launch / high spin - I’d like them balanced. So I think that would mean pairing the lower launch/spin of the two shafts with the HL16.5 head.

Does anyone know how the two shafts compare? How would you set up each? FWIW my courses are pretty different, but considering I use 3W off tee and deck at both, I’m going for balance in the setup.

Comments

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,826 ✭✭

I would buy about 8 more 3 wood and/or 4 wood heads and maybe 20 more different shafts and then attempt try every and all feasible combo's
    Oh wait ... I've done that ... a lot .. every summer it seems

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • hurley999shurley999s Members Posts: 164 ✭✭

Lol that’s me with driver but since these are glue ins and I don’t have a shop to do work myself, I don’t have that luxury unfortunately (or fortunately).

• greenwavegolfergreenwavegolfer Members Posts: 132 ✭✭

There's only 2 possible combinations there. Why not just go to a range and try the Accra in one head and the Tensei in the other then swap and decide which gives you what you're looking for? Different people react to shafts differently (for a prime example check out the TXG video recently on high launch vs. low launch shafts). No one is going to be able to tell you definitively which combo is going to do what for you.

WITB:

Ping G400 LST 10º (Playing 9º) Accra TZ5 65 M4
    Titleist T-MB 2i (17º) Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X
    Srixon Z-785 3i/4i Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Srixon Z-Forged 5i-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Titleist SM5 50º SM6 54º, 58º Dynamic Gold S200
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    edited Apr 24, 2019 6:53pm #5

I would do that but they’re glue ins, not the ones with adjustable adapters.

And totally with you about fitting being individual. What it really comes down to is, how do launch characteristics and spin profiles compare between the Accra TZ6 and Pro Blue? I’ve hit both before in different setups and like the feel and performance but in a vacuum, how do these two profiles compare? From what I undstand, Tensei should spin a touch more, but not sure if that’s accurate and not sure how they differ in launch.

• greenwavegolfergreenwavegolfer Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
    edited Apr 24, 2019 9:53pm #6

@hurley999s said:
    I would do that but they’re glue ins, not the ones with adjustable adapters.

And totally with you about fitting being individual. What it really comes down to is, how do launch characteristics and spin profiles compare between the Accra TZ6 and Pro Blue? I’ve hit both before in different setups and like the feel and performance but in a vacuum, how do these two profiles compare? From what I undstand, Tensei should spin a touch more, but not sure if that’s accurate and not sure how they differ in launch.

I see. If they're already bonded I'm not sure I would even bother pulling them both to swap even if you were certain the opposite shaft profile was slightly better. At most you're going to get a negligible change in launch and spin. As long as you're striking both clubs well I don't see any reason to bother changing anything. I think there's been enough testing out there to show that the way that shafts affect launch and spin is indirectly through strike point changes and minor changes in things like deflection. Even if the Tensei is designated as a slightly higher spin (and that's so tough to compare across companies because Low/Mid/High spin aren't universal measurements they're relative terms) there's no guarantee that it will bear out that way with how you swing. The 1.5° difference in loft is going to likely have a larger net effect on the outcome than the difference in shafts. If the results are decent with both I wouldn't spend the time or money changing anything because you're basically flipping a coin without the ability to test and get numbers to make a decision.

WITB:

Ping G400 LST 10º (Playing 9º) Accra TZ5 65 M4
    Titleist T-MB 2i (17º) Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X
    Srixon Z-785 3i/4i Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Srixon Z-Forged 5i-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Titleist SM5 50º SM6 54º, 58º Dynamic Gold S200
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    edited Apr 25, 2019 12:43am #7

Both shafts are currently loose - neither is bonded in a head yet.

And yes, your point is exactly what my thinking is - there’s no consistency from the manufacturers regarding things like low/med/high launch and spin, so hoping if any fellow club hoes on here have hit both in the same head, what’s your experience been. OR if anyone has access to S3 data or whatever it’s called - that paid third party service that I think consistently measures a variety of shafts.

Post edited by hurley999s on
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,070 ✭✭
    edited Apr 25, 2019 7:54am #8

@hurley999s said:
    there’s no consistency from the manufacturers regarding things like low/med/high launch and spin,

While it's true there are no standards shared across the different manufacturers to come up with their shaft characterizations , the larger potential for inconsistency comes from 1) the way different player's swings respond to different shaft profile feels and also 2) different swing characteristics of the player. Those subjective responses can have a much larger effect on the results than the purely objective shaft data might imply.

• haakzillahaakzilla Haakzilla Members Posts: 378 ✭✭

@hurley999s said:

Combo #1: 15 degree w/Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
    Combo #2: HL 16.5 degree w/ Accra TZ6 75 M5

...you're welcome. /

DRIVER: Ping G400 LST 8.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70tx
    WOOD: Titleist 910Fd 15° Diamana D+ LTD 80x
    UTILITY: Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3i 19° Steelfiber i110
    IRONS: Srixon z945 4-PW Steelfiber i110
    WEDGES: Edel DVR 50°/54°/58° Steelfiber i125
    PUTTER(S): TP Mills Forged Huey / Bettinardi Queen B QB5 / Studio Select Squareback No.2
    Sponsored by Central Oregon Golf

@haakzilla said:

@hurley999s said:

Combo #1: 15 degree w/Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
    Combo #2: HL 16.5 degree w/ Accra TZ6 75 M5

...you're welcome. /

Thank you. Confirmation of what I was leaning towards because assuming launch profiles are similar, I do think the Accra is lower spin (based on driver testing I’ve done with it), so that would make sense to pair that with the higher lofted head.