Bobby Jones Golf Course

westlakeNA

I've played it once since they re-opened. I played the course in the same direction twice, so my experiences do not reflect the other routing.

While I agree that it was much better than what was there before, that was the lowest bar possible to clear. On the whole I felt that the course was fine but I don't think I'll be running to go back. The reversible concept is an interesting one that allows flexibility on a small piece of property, but for many players they won't get the chance to enjoy the course in both directions. I believe over time one of the two routings will prove to be the most popular and the course will evolve into a 9 hole routing. That decision may actually help to improve the course as some of the considerations that make the reversible routing work can be optimized for a single direction. In certain places the design seemed compromised and at times it was hard to identify which green I was intending to play towards. The highlight of the routing was the 7 tee options and the flexibility that provided. For the first 9 we played from one tee location, but on the second 9 we hopped around a bit depending on how we wanted to play the hole, this was an enjoyable adjustment that will allow a player to keep interest as they loop the same holes twice and provide a wide range of playing abilities appropriate yardages.

On the whole, I don't expect I'll be playing there again any time soon. Especially considering the improvements the city has made to courses like Browns Mill and North Fulton, I'd personally rather pay $25 to play either of those courses than the $70 Bobby Jones cost.

Bobby Jones is doing more dynamic pricing. It will certainly cost more than the city courses, but you can get out there to play 18 holes with a cart for as little as $38. That would be about $9 more than the non-city of Atlanta resident twilight rate at Chastain. I would give it a try at least once to see the difference compared to what it was before.

Just wanted to let you know that you can play out there with a cart (which I would prefer to walk, but they really push the cart on you and don't really offer a walking rate until a 9 hole walkup rate late in the evening - you can walk, but the rate is inclusive of a cart whether you use it or not, for now at least) for less than $70 most of the time and as I took a look at their tee times, there was one day of a number of $38 rates.

Is the course worth what they charge? I know some will say yes, others no, but that's the beauty of the game and what people are willing to pay for a round of golf.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a fun course with much more sophisticated greens than other munis like North Fulton, even though some holes (especially the first couple on the Magnolia routing) are a bit shapeless. Good set of greens and well-conditioned, though. I thought 4, 7, and 9 were excellent holes, 5 was awkward, and the rest were somewhere in between.

It’s definitely worth checking out, though it would be nice if it was closer to $55 than $85 on weekends.

I played Magnolia last week. Firm is an understatement, they gave me a hammer to get a Tee in the ground (no lie). Greens rolled pretty fast compared to most everything else I've played around town but were pretty fun and not flat. The "Tee Box" situation is interesting, there were no markers, just levels indicated on the cart path. Choose from Level 1-7 and tee it up wherever according to the starter. There's not any "rough" anywhere and only a couple of the holes can you really get in trouble. I paid $32 to play nine on a Friday afternoon at 3pm which I do think is overpriced but not a lot of in town choices. I'm not playing Chastain and live walking distance from it. Tried twice and it's so damn slow it's miserable

I had a very different reaction to the greens. I felt they were without sophistication and subtleties. In places they seemed out of place and relied too heavily on scalloping around the edge of the greens for protection. Some of the greens felt like the designed 2 greens and connected them to make the strategy work, rather than building one unified green that can be approached from multiple angles. Two that stick out in my mind were A4/M5 and A8/M1. Neither of those greens seemed to work for either hole as they tried to accommodate both holes. I can understand that the opposed angle and hole style of A4/M5 could make building a unified green difficult, but A8/M1 the approach angle is fairly similar and could have been handled better. The transition on A6/M3 could have been used really well, especially for the downhill approach to A6, but how it was built will leave many players a 100ft putt back up to the top section after hitting a blind approach.

I've played 5 or 6 weekend rounds this summer at Chastain and the longest round has been 4:15. Yesterday morning we got around in 3:30 with sub 4 hours being the norm recently. From my experience playing around Chastain is no longer the all day slog it use to be, which is a great thing.

> @hollabachgt said:

> I've played 5 or 6 weekend rounds this summer at Chastain and the longest round has been 4:15. Yesterday morning we got around in 3:30 with sub 4 hours being the norm recently. From my experience playing around Chastain is no longer the all day slog it use to be, which is a great thing.

I might have to give Chastain another go then. I tend to hold a grudge apparently

> @jamgam said:

> > @hollabachgt said:

> > I've played 5 or 6 weekend rounds this summer at Chastain and the longest round has been 4:15. Yesterday morning we got around in 3:30 with sub 4 hours being the norm recently. From my experience playing around Chastain is no longer the all day slog it use to be, which is a great thing.

>

> I might have to give Chastain another go then. I tend to hold a grudge apparently

>

I think you just had bad luck. I agree that Chastain is worth the play and I've never experienced a long round there in the afternoon/evening. PLUS THE VIEW!!!!! Those that understand what I mean totally get it!!!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

> @thejuice said:

> > @jamgam said:

> > > @hollabachgt said:

> > > I've played 5 or 6 weekend rounds this summer at Chastain and the longest round has been 4:15. Yesterday morning we got around in 3:30 with sub 4 hours being the norm recently. From my experience playing around Chastain is no longer the all day slog it use to be, which is a great thing.

> >

> > I might have to give Chastain another go then. I tend to hold a grudge apparently

> >

>

> I think you just had bad luck. I agree that Chastain is worth the play and I've never experienced a long round there in the afternoon/evening. PLUS THE VIEW!!!!! Those that understand what I mean totally get it!!!

>

I live in the neighborhood. 3/4 mile from clubhouse. I'm picking up what you're saying though

• Like 1

> @jamgam said:

> > @thejuice said:

> > > @jamgam said:

> > > > @hollabachgt said:

> > > > I've played 5 or 6 weekend rounds this summer at Chastain and the longest round has been 4:15. Yesterday morning we got around in 3:30 with sub 4 hours being the norm recently. From my experience playing around Chastain is no longer the all day slog it use to be, which is a great thing.

> > >

> > > I might have to give Chastain another go then. I tend to hold a grudge apparently

> > >

> >

> > I think you just had bad luck. I agree that Chastain is worth the play and I've never experienced a long round there in the afternoon/evening. PLUS THE VIEW!!!!! Those that understand what I mean totally get it!!!

> >

>

> I live in the neighborhood. 3/4 mile from clubhouse. I'm picking up what you're saying though

Man on a pretty day, the "view" is worth it if you ever had to wait to hit a shot. I've never been disappointed!!! LOL!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour