Is any of this important for college recruiting?

CTgolfCTgolf Members Posts: 472 ✭✭✭✭

Other posts mention scoring differentials, etc. in calculating rankings. All good to know and helpful.

How important to college coaches are the following:
1) how good a junior performs when playing his best
2) how good (or bad) when playing poorly
3) consistency of performance

In other words, do they value high ceiling over a high floor? And how important is consistency (perhaps measured by dispersion of scores)?

Comments

• admorkadmork Orlando, FlMembers Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Hello, most college coaches look at scoring averages as the most important. So, when they go watch kids in tournaments they already have a good idea of their scoring abilities.
    Coaches also look at Junior Golf Scoreboard database, it has most of junior events and kids are ranked within their class.

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A friend of ours is currently going through this process. Time after time the coaches are looking for the junior golfer to be competing. By competing they mean placing near the top of each multiple day event they enter and within a couple of shots of the leader. Also looking for consistency in scores... an 82 followed by a 72 is no bueno. They would rather see you shoot 75 - 74 and know that if your score needs to be counted it's going to be about XX average.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• chrissdcchrissdc Members Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited Jul 29, 2019 9:56pm #4

I think coaches like to see a kid capable of going low. Coaches actually don’t mind seeing a kid shoot 82 and then a 68.
    Easier to improve an 82 to a mid seventies score.
    Harder to teach kids to go low.
    The coaches I’ve been around love seeing a kid have a poor first round and then go low second round.

• chrissdcchrissdc Members Posts: 62 ✭✭

Regarding the OP
    Coaches love a high ceiling. Most believe they can get the best out of a player.
    I’m not sure the coaches are correct, but this is the feedback I get from the college coaches I deal/dealt with.

• Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@chrissdc said:
    I think coaches like to see a kid capable of going low. Coaches actually don’t mind seeing a kid shoot 82 and then a 68.
    Easier to improve an 82 to a mid seventies score.
    Harder to teach kids to go low.
    The coaches I’ve been around love seeing a kid have a poor first round and then go low second round.

Listened to PGA radio awhile back and they had the men’s coach for Texas on there. He said the same thing you did. They want to see kids who can put up low numbers. They aren’t deterred by a bad round here or there. They want to see how much “up side” a kid has. He also talked about playing tournaments around the country in different conditions. If you play on a college team you will play all over the country.
    They want to see someone who can play all types of courses and conditions well.

• NolesNoles Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So much depends on the level that you are talking about and the individual coach. I've spoken to several coaches about this and get very different answers from them. After coaching high school basketball for 23 years, I'm surprised how different the recruiting is between the 2 sports.

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 30, 2019 6:57pm #8

I honestly think you will hear such a wide range of answers for a lot reasons. So many reasons a kid could get rejected. Also much easier to tell a kid and there parents that they just need lower scores or they can't drive far enough then to say they don't have anything available or you remind them of a kid that didn't work out.

Assuming a kid is good enough I think Getting along with a coach is probably the biggest factor. After talking to a bunch coaches almost all them would rather take on a project who works there butt off and wants an education then a great player who is not a team player and is going to bolt in 6 months.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file